main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Daisy Ridley (Rey) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by sheri1967, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Wait I'm confused. You want one of Rey parents to be Kenobi's kid AND you want that character killed off without giving them any characterization?

2. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    Reminds me of when Daisy was asked if she’d rather Rey be a Kenobi or a Skywalker, if she had to choose between the two. She said Skywalker, because she didn’t know much about Obi-wan.

Obv that isn’t evidence of her actually being a Skywalker, but it would be a surprising comment if Rey were actually a Kenobi.

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  3. Resistance Trooper 2

Resistance Trooper 2 Jedi Padawan star 1

May 11, 2018
    Rey picking up where the Skywalkers left off makes thematic sense (Disney trying to move on from the past), but I'd still like to see Anakin and Rey have a moment or two together. Yoda and Rey too!

Maybe Rey should have a board meeting with all the Jedi ghosts.

4. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    What will Rey learn from the Jedi books? My guess is she’ll get more out of them than Luke did.

5. RiddleMeThis

RiddleMeThis Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2017
    Complete training, I'm hoping. She can't read the runes in them, but someone should be able to help her.

6. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    She does not need to read them. She already knows everything Yoda said. She will use it as training material for her students
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  7. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Could be but I feel like they showed her taking the books in TLJ because they were setting something up for Ep. 9 and I don't think we'll actually see Rey training students in Ep. 9. Also there's nothing terribly interesting about seeing Rey read an instruction manual to explain to her students how to Force push people.

Nah, I have a feeling that the books will have some personal effect on her in some way. No idea what that is but that's my guess. Perhaps she'll learn something that will give her the understanding she needs to use the Force to defeat the First Order or maybe its's more small scale and there's something about the books that will give Rey access to her blocked memories, if she does in fact still have blocked memories.

Then again it could be both. The books will give Rey the knowledge she needs to defeat the FO and the books will be there for future students to learn from.

Heh, I wouldn't be totally surprised if one of the books literally becomes a weapon of sorts, like a magic spell book. Not hard for me to imagine Rey holding up the book during battle and the power of the Force literally comes beaming out of the book, defeating the space-Nazi's a la the ark in the first Indiana Jones movie.

8. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    When did Yoda say she already knows everything? I recall him saying that she already has what she needs (the books), but nothing about her knowing everything. (Granted, I've only seen the movie twice so far, so my memory isn't the best.)

9. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Exactly. At first we think that Yoda is saying that Rey is so inherently talented that she has everything she needs but then we learn that Yoda was being literal when we see that Rey took the books.

cerealbox likes this.
  10. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    You might be right about that

11. NOTJEDIMATERIAL

NOTJEDIMATERIAL Jedi Knight star 3

May 3, 2018
    Perhaps it is a symbolic passing of something physical from Luke to Rey about the Jedi, albeit not by his hand, mechanical or otherwise?

12. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    What are the chances that Rey will find a kyber crystal tucked away in one of the books?

13. sls062286

sls062286 Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2016
    I dont see why theyd have her save the one from the Skywalker saber if she was going to get a new one.

14. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    I agree that's more likely. I'm just spit balling.

15. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I don't think Yoda's words have anything to do with Rey's level of power but with her inner self instead.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  16. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Well that and he probably knew that she had the books.

rorow1 likes this.
  17. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Yoda did not say that. He said she has everything she needs. Not the same thing.

VPS9898 likes this.
  18. RiddleMeThis

RiddleMeThis Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2017
    Yeah, I thought the same as Darth Smurf until I recently saw it get pointed out on this forum that Yoda meant she has the books, not the knowledge per se. And I like that interpretation better. Rey already knowing everything would be pretty damn lame, imo.

19. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    ^ tbh - I only saw the books on the Falcon the third time I saw the film (and after reading about it on the forum). The first time I saw the film (at 2 am by then which MAY have not let to me being the most alert I've been in my life), I totally missed them, as so my interpretation was that Yoda thought Rey already knew what she needed .. which probably at the time contributed to my feeling of dissatisfaction with the film.

I wish they'd made it a tad more obvious.

20. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    My guess is the Jedi texts don't play into 9 at all. Maybe JJ shows them in the background or a quick shot at some point just to remind us that Rey has them, but I don't see a scene where Rey's sitting there reading them or anything.

Of course it would be really cool if when a Jedi touches certain script in the book, visions begin and other mystical things happen. This is how we could have seen Vader/Anakin in the ST...But the way Luke and Yoda talk about the books in TLJ it seems like they are plain old books.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    Darth Smurf likes this.
  21. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    On the one hand I'm thinking the texts will factor in somehow because they made a point of showing Rey take them. Why have Rey take them in the first place if they're not going to play some role in the next film? On the other hand the storytelling in the ST is kinda jacked up so maybe we won't see the books again.

I just have a feeling that one way or another Rey will be tapping into the Force in a way we haven't seen before and the texts might be her way of doing that.

Either that or the texts could shed some light on past events that will personally impact Rey and/or other characters in some way. Perhaps Luke added his own entries to the texts? Or maybe in reading the texts Rey will come across a section that talks about Snoke or a Snoke-like character that could give Rey some valuable incite either into her own life, or Kylo's or Luke's.

22. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    Symbolism, I think.

“DESTROY THE PASSSSST!”

(J/k! Ok, kill some of it but keep the important stuff.)

23. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Yeah... not to brag, but I got it the first viewing. ;) I kid! But I think he means even more than the books. I think he means she has the compassion and discipline she needs. And, of course, Yoda and Luke can visit her to provide guidance along the way.

24. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    This is really putting the cart before the horse but if Rey survives Ep. 9 what would the further adventures of Rey even be about? Starting up a Jedi Order of some sort seems to be the go to answer but I guess I'm wondering what her personal journey would be after Ep. 9 is wrapped up? Is just going to be, "now Rey and her untested students have to fight the First Order leftovers?"

25. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I would expect something similar than with Luke. She training some new apprentices and probably dealing with the relationship of the new Jedi Order with the new government.

Hopefully this time a fallen aprentice won't ruin the story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.