main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Daisy Ridley (Rey) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Chained Prometheus, Apr 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    GOT has LOTS of different accents, and I'd have no problem with SW having them as well.

Rabs likes this.
  2. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013
    Daisy's accent is just fine, I think. Some folks may needlessly complain about it at first, but they'll get used to it over time.

BTW, in light of the recent bets that have gone on in the Mark Hamill thread, I was actually wondering if folks here might be interested in participating in something similar- albeit more lighthearted and humorous. I'm personally not at all interested in having anyone bet their ability to post here in the forums for whatever amount of time, I think that's far too much, but the idea of using a humorous avatar for a few months sounds like fun to me.

Would anyone be interested in participating in such a bet for Rey's parentage? If not, I totally understand. :)

Seeher and Force22 like this.
  3. Force22

Force22 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 2, 2013

Yes, sure. I was thinking the same thing. It would be fun. And of course you can't take the losers ability to post, otherwise how are they (or we) going to be humbled?

Seeher and Chained Prometheus like this.
  4. Chained Prometheus

Jul 24, 2013

Exactly. I'm not sure yet as to what the exact rules for this bet should be, but the easiest solution would be betting on specific parentages. Like say, I'd bet on Rey Skywalker, while someone else may bet on Rey Random and another may bet on Rey Solo. But I'm not sure on that yet. What do you guys think?

5. AloneinSpace

AloneinSpace Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 21, 2015
    Maybe half of SW fans are from non-english speaking countries. I can tell the difference between american and british accents but I don't really 'hear' it.

6. Force22

Mar 2, 2013

I think yes, however, if the parentage is not clearly revealed in the movie, then there are no winners or losers. But that would be problematic with Rey Random. Let's say for Rey Random her parents have to be really revealed, so that if another parentage happens in a subsequent movie it would be a twist, something "from a certain point of view", claiming that the information in TFA was false. And if the movie finishes open ended we cannot use our own confirmation biases to seal the bet. Does that work? Whoever gets the parentage wrong has to use an ugly avatar for two months. We could use the same Britney one, or choose another.

Seeher and Chained Prometheus like this.
  7. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    I have a feeling she'll be Rey Skywalker (Luke's daughter). But, we won't know until December 17th!

8. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    For me coming from a non-english speaking country, US accent is easier to understand than English accent. Much harder was even Irish accent. ;)

9. Force22

Mar 2, 2013

I'd say way more than half.

10. Seeher

Seeher Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2003
    I'm game, since I'm sure Rey won't be Anakin Skywalker' granddaughter.

Chained Prometheus likes this.
  11. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    Keira's character in TPM wasn't a Skywalker though.

12. Chained Prometheus

Jul 24, 2013

That sounds good to me! :) As far as specific embarrassing avatars go, I'm fine either way if it's the Britney one or not. :)

Force22 likes this.
  13. MattOrgana

MattOrgana Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2015
    I'm Portuguese speaker, but I can differentiate between American and British accents, though I agree the American one is easier to understand sometimes.

I had no problem to understand what Rey says in the trailers and clips so far. I'll first watch TFA in English with subtitles in Portuguese, but I plan to watch the dubbed version later, as the dubbing of SW movies are really good here in Brazil.

14. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    No, but she was grandma Skywalker's decoy and Lucas cast her because of her striking resemblance to Natalie Portman. The fact that Ridley looks soooo much like both Portman and Knightley is my point. They all look like each other.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Kyra_Rey-Kylo_Ren and Force22 like this.
  15. Seeher

Seeher Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2003
    Would this be acceptable if I made it smaller?
    [​IMG]

16. Force22

Mar 2, 2013

Okay. Count me in. Rey is Han's daughter. Or else... Britney Avatar.

But there's a different scenario that I've thought. What if she's Luke's biological daughter, but, due to whatever reason, he had to leave her as a small baby with Leia and Han, so that she's their "adopted" daughter before whatever disaster strikes. I'm not really sure this is a possibility, but it would tick all boxes: emotional connection with Han, Skywalker lineage, etc. Also, if she's the new Luke, it would make sense to have been raised by an aunt. Yes, this is quite convoluted and unlikely. The problem is, what would happen to the bet if that is the case? Could we count it as both Skywalker and Solo? Cause I'm betting on Rey Solo based on the emotional connection during the movie, not due to DNA or whatever.

MattOrgana likes this.
  17. Force22

Mar 2, 2013

I love MLP. I don't know, but it might be good, I'll start to hope she's Luke's daughter.

18. AloneinSpace

AloneinSpace Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 21, 2015
    I bet Rey Random. Gonna use Britney avatar if Iose.
    (Later twists does not count. If she is random in TFA it means I won)

Force22 likes this.
  19. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Hey now!

Solo-Skywalker likes this.
  20. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    what do you mean?

Scummy_and_Villainous likes this.
  21. MattOrgana

MattOrgana Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2015

If she's Luke's daughter who was adopted by Han and Leia everyone will use the embarrassing avatar (except the Radom camp) [face_laugh] .

Count me in as well. My be is Rey is Han and Leia's daughter (how surprisingly).

Solo-Skywalker likes this.
  22. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    of course she is Rey Skwalker! :D

Force22 and Chained Prometheus like this.
  23. Chained Prometheus

Jul 24, 2013

I'm game for wearing a Pinkie Pie avatar if I lose! :)

But yeah, it looks like we've got:

Me and nightangel betting on Rey Skywalker
    Force22 and MattOrgana betting on Rey Solo
    Seeher and AloneinSpace betting on Rey Random

Also, Force22 - I'm not really sure on that idea. I'm tempted to say "No," but then again, I'd consider Rey being Luke's adopted daughter (in the past) to be Rey Skywalker, so I'm not sure.

AloneinSpace - It doesn't quite work like that; if Rey's parentage is left open-ended by the end of TFA, the bet's off altogether. Rey Random wins by showing her actual parents in the film. Now, if there's some sort of double bluff where we see her "parents" in TFA, but then it's revealed in a later film she's someone else's kid in reality, I'd say you win this bet.

nightangel, Seeher and MattOrgana like this.
  24. turnip white

turnip white Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2014
    She doesn't like you, I don't like you either.........

25. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Labhairt liom Gaelige feidir leat a thuiscint! Nach bhfuil se i mbeal an phobail.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.