main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Daisy Ridley (Rey) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Chained Prometheus, Apr 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    I have to agree its good marketing but as said above cant deny a large amount of the fanbase would feel cheated.

Really I listen to a few podcast and there is plenty of hype about it.

2. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    It's not much of an accomplishment if the movie doesn't answer the question :)

Seeher likes this.
  3. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010
    At least some stuff is left for the movie. I'm gland i will still ahve questions when I take my seat.

Seeher likes this.
  4. Seeher

Seeher Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2003
    Yes, fan hype.
    The fans' own head cannon.
    And who she is related to should never be a make or break for the movie; the writing, the acting, the sets ... those should be what makes or breaks a movie. I know when all is said an done, who she is will be more then who her parents are.

Force22 and DARTH_MUPPET like this.
  5. mej72

mej72 Jedi Master

Apr 11, 2001
    There is a lot of hype in the Comicbook/Superhero/Sci-Fi/Nerd world of internet podcasts and message boards (MSW, Reddit, AICN, IGN, etc.,). Like Seeher pointed out above, just about every time Daisy, Kathleen or J.J. do an interview they are asked about this topic. If she is random why keep it a secret??? There is nothing at all to be gained by keeping that a secret. There is however A LOT to lose from a potential backlash that could come if we find out that she is not related. Tell us she is a nobody when the cast is first announced and be done with it. Nobody would think anything more about it. Let the rumors swirl for over two years that she is either a Skywalker or a Solo and not deliver on that or try to disavow it and wow!!! You have STID/Khan all over again. They have said they are keeping her last name hidden for a reason. They know everyone expects/wants her to be related. Everyone has an opinion on the topic and everyone has made a lot of valid points to back their position. This is why I say they did a great job marketing it. For them to be able to keep that one fact secret for so long....and possibly up until the movie is released to the media on the 14th, is nothing short of extraordinary.

6. mej72

mej72 Jedi Master

Apr 11, 2001
    I am not saying it should but it very well could. I have seen a lot of people already state that it will be a deal breaker for them. Will I be disappointed if she is not related to Luke and/or Leia. Yes. Will it ruin the movie for me? Hell no. I have waited 32 years for this. Yes I have my own ideas for what should or should not happen. Everyone does. I will accept whichever route they decide to take. Are there things that I do not like about the OT and the PT. Oh yes, a lot of things. Does it keep me from loving the movies any less. Nope. I love them all the same. As long as I come out of the theater feeling like a 4 year old boy again and can watch lightsabers and ships blowing up with my two sons I will be very happy.

Valairy Scot and Seeher like this.
  7. AloneinSpace

AloneinSpace Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 21, 2015
    About fan hype: If I say that I've watched some other film 10 times you'd rightly think that I'm a hardcore fan. But with SW, 10 times makes you a normal fan. Because next guy has watched it 100 times, and there is this guy who watched OT more than 1000 times. Numbers get crazy with SW. Millions of people gonna watch TFA. Communities with a few thousand fans won't give you an accurate data of the hype.
    Millions of fans have hyped for a new, good SW movie, not for Rey being a Skywalker.

Seeher likes this.
  8. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    There are plenty of places in the world that could have taken the place of Skellig but not all those outdoor locations could have been a 'closed set'.

It just takes one word from either Luke or Rey to confirm her parentage.

9. Seeher

Jul 8, 2003
    hypothetical :

Rey walks into the cave, sees a hooded figure sitting on what appears to be a stone throne.
    Rey approaches holding the saber out towards the man: "Are you Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight?"
    Hooded Figure : "And who are you, who seeks out the Jedi?"
    Rey: "I am Rey of Jakku."
    Luke: "And why do you seek out the Jedi, Rey of Jakku?"
    Rey ignites the saber, bathing them both in a blue light: "Justice! Justice for my family and everyone who you've killed, Skywalker!"
    Luke: "That is a strong claim, Rey, Rey of Jakku." Luke sit quietly for a moment. "Are you sure it was I who cut down your family, your parents?"
    Rey: "YES!"
    Luke "You remember?"
    Rey "I saw ... in a vision ... I saw ... I saw you arguing with my family ... you promising them no harm would come ... and I remember ... the Knight of Ren ... you lead the Knight of Ren to us! You fled! You left us for dead!"
    Luke softly: "A vision? You had this vision on your own?"
    Rey, wavering a bit: "Yes ... mostly ... it happened at Maz's ..."
    Luke letting out a breath: "Maz! Should have known ..."
    Rey, disbelieving: "You know Maz?"
    Luke slowly standing up: "We have had ... dealings in the past. It was on her world where I met your clan, your family, a clan of Force sensitive people who have been on the run, hiding from the empire and shadows for years. I went there in hopes of gathering your clan and bring them somewhere safe to learn the ways of the Jedi, to protect them against the Knights of Ren, from the Empire. But ... your father refuse. Maz promised them safe haven, he had my father's lightsaber and ... his pride and fear. He refuse to hear me out."
    You get the gist, and I am a poor writer. You can have a satisfying ending, with some emotion and tie up some loose ends and set up the next movie very easily with Random, probably a lot easier then with a Legacy. And if written well, a lot of people will forget their bias.

10. Knessa84

Knessa84 Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 21, 2014
    I personally don't see any dialogue for the last scene - much like the other SW films. Especially any explanations or overwrought dialogue. All the family crap will have been dealt with and Rey climbs those jedi steps to meet her jedi master. Simple and self-explanatory.

11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Maybe there's dialogue in the last scene, but the audio gets cut out just as Luke is about to reveal who Rey actually is?

Seeher likes this.
  12. Knessa84

Aug 21, 2014
    It's the first in a trilogy but it's a self-contained film. So it's not going to end with a cliffhanger like that.

13. Seeher

Jul 8, 2003
    I never know what to expect when I see last post by "I Are The Internets" but never disappointed ... or by his um profile pic :p

Captain B likes this.
  14. Knessa84

Aug 21, 2014
    JJ on Howard Stern:

"To someone who is living alone and struggling without a formal education or support system, who knows what that person in the literal middle of nowhere would have ever heard about any of these things, or would ever know, and how much that person would have to infer and piece together on their own. So the idea that someone like that would begin to learn that the Jedi were real, and that the Force exists, and that there’s a power in the universe that sounds fanciful but is actually possible, was an incredibly intriguing notion."

"We were talking [in a meeting with Kathleen Kennedy] about the idea of these characters and [...] when Kathy and I started talking about these characters, the idea that Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Princess Leia, this is 40 years ago [since Episode IV], so for someone who is 19 years old--this is like their 'myths'--who knows what they know about them? People wouldn't even know who some of these characters are.

The thing that got me, that grabbed me, was that feeling of a new young character--in the case of this conversation it was a female character, didn't know anything about her--but in that conversation, the question this young woman asking "who is Luke Skywalker?" I don't know why, but it made me feel like, 'Blast, that's so cool! The idea that this there would be this discovery..."

15. DARTH MUPPET

DARTH MUPPET Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 16, 2001
  16. Myself656

Myself656 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 5, 2008
    Bang! That is the sound of the "this film is all about Luke Skywalker" being shot through the heart. We've long been told that "Who is Luke Skywalker?" was what hooked JJ, but we've never heard the context before. It's not "What has Luke become in the last 30 years?" its "who is this Luke Skywalker person and why should I care?"

And that's not just the question that Rey is asking, but that an entire new generation for whom this is their first Star Wars film would reasonably ask. People here might care about Luke Skywalker and him getting what he "deserves", but for these new fans its just a name... maybe a face they've seen (and for those who came of age with the PT it could even be... "is he related to Anakin?").

And THAT is where Rey Skywalker as a prospect dies horribly. For the new generation Rey is their hero and for them to care that Luke is her father, they're going to need to see more of him than 20 wordless seconds at the end of the film. For Rey's family to be important to people whose only frame of reference is this film, they're going to need to see Rey's family throughout the story so they can care and invest in them... like we will see with Han (said to be practically a co-lead), with Leia (significant role in the film and gets a touching scene with Rey at the end) and certainly with Kylo Ren.

I'm with you Knessa that the final scene won't have dialogue. The final scenes have ALWAYS been orchestral pieces over one or more scenes that convey the emotional beats through visuals and musical queues and that works better if all other matters have been settled. As a comparitive... take the final scene of season 4 of Game of Thrones; they end not with some windy bit of dialogue about what the coin means, they end with Arya aboard the ship headed towards the horizon with wind in her hair and the music swelling as she starts off on a path very much like what I think Rey will be at the end of the film. You don't know the specifics, but you know she's left her old life behind and is sailing to where she is told her new master awaits to train her.

That is a very satisfying way to end a story in a way that also makes people hungry to know what happens next.

CairnsTony, Force22, NileQT87 and 5 others like this.
  17. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    "Hey Rey, what you been up to for the last fourteen years or so? Sorry I had to dump you in that sandpit amongst all those crims, thugs, etc. but you seem to have done OK for yourself. What has your droid got there? Looks intriguing. Tell you what instead of taking you and it to your Mother where you will be safe perhaps we should head to a dangerous Pirate's den because that's what caring Fathers do. Here have this blaster, you might need it. When we get there I'll go find lil Miss Tango and you can fend for yourself, have a drink or two and make a nuisance of yourself, I'm sure you'll be OK. On the way there I'll tell you about your crazy Uncle."

Seeher and The Jaded Irk like this.
  18. soul8luos

soul8luos Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2013

Rey Random.

JediAce1 likes this.
  19. Amdrag

Amdrag Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 26, 2008
    I don't agree with this conclusion at all, especially when we might not even know who Rey's parents are at the end of this movie. This is Rey's movie no doubt, but Luke is the Macguffin.

The question, "who is Luke Skywalker?" is built on the legend, the legend created by the OT. That is what makes the question so awesome to JJ. This movie is not going to function in a way where it makes the OT irrelevant. If Luke is her father, it encourages this "new generation" to see the OT. This is after all Episode VII, and Luke's role in Episode VIII is expand. But honestly, if you are going to see TFA opening week, chances are your parents are fans or will have at least Netflixed the OT for their kids. So really, how many kids are going into TFA blind, with no knowledge of who Luke Skywalker, Han Solo and Leia Organa are?

Rey story is about remembering who she is, and how that will give her a path going forward. Luke, as a plot device, is what is driving the whole story and why this is all happening. Why Rey is suddenly, "back in the game". The girl who has been waiting for her family to return in launched back into action because the First Order wants Luke dead, and Leia wants to find her brother. As Rey learns more about Luke, she also learns more about herself. She learns if from Han, she learns it from Maz, she learns it from Kylo ( his obsession) and she will probably learn it from Leia and Finn (who has a very different story). And Luke, Leia, Han and Kylo are her family no matter if she is Luke's or Han/Leia's.

If Rey is on a course to become a Jedi, Luke is her goal, she just doesn't know it at the beginning. Once she lets the Force in, it becomes clear. And in terms of irony, Luke as her father works. Rey's concern has been waiting for her family, but by pushing forward, accepting her destiny and leaving Jakku, she found it. Rey takes control of her life, makes a decision and as a result finds what she has been looking for. This works no matter if Luke or Leia is her Skywalker parent.

20. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    ^Yes. Rey thought staying in her comfort zone, a relatively safe scavenger on Jakku she would find the reward of life and her family would return. It's only when she accepts the Force's call and becomes pro-active, does Rey get both her more fulfilling destiny AND her family through one man: Luke Skywalker. That is powerful. Beautiful. I hope it is the story JJ and Kasdan are telling in TFA. Rey Random is fun, but not as strong as that.

21. Amdrag

Amdrag Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 26, 2008
    I want her to be Luke or Leia's, but as I have said, I can work with Rey Random as well. I just don't get how so many do these mental gymnastics to cut off any other theory. :p

Force22 likes this.
  22. soul8luos

soul8luos Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2013
  23. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Everything is a theory at this point honestly. I like that people can come here and discuss what they HOPE to see in TFA, and explain why they hope for such.

Amdrag likes this.
  24. TheLazure

TheLazure Jedi Youngling

Nov 29, 2015
  25. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    He's hinting that she's Rey Random so hard that it's not even going to be surprising when we watch the movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.