main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Daisy Ridley (Rey) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Chained Prometheus, Apr 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Vanguard

The Vanguard Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2016
    Sounds like a gray Jedi story plot. Someone strong in the Force who does not walk in the light, nor embraces the dark side.

2. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    The question is, should such an individual be called "Jedi"?

3. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Why not? Because some guys who got killed over half a century before might not approve? Well their ways didn't save them ultimately, so maybe it's time to adapt to a changing galaxy and have the new Jedi try, well some new stuff.

Master Scorpio77 likes this.
  4. The Vanguard

Apr 12, 2016
    These guys weren't Jedi, so I guess not. I like the idea of Luke revamping parts of Jedi code. It would be refreshing.

[​IMG]

GMGalenMarek likes this.
  5. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    The old Jedi Order failed because they didn't stay true to their own ideals. They grew complacent and let arrogance blind them to the growing darkness. When they realized that the Republic they held so dear was in danger, they eagerly went to war to protect it, because they'd become too attached to it to even consider the possibility that the galaxywide democracy had run its course; that maybe it was time for the different regions to establish their own - separate - democracies and coexist in harmony.
    They feared losing what they had, so they allowed the dark side free reign in a vain effort to save it.

In short, they had lost their way. They were no longer true Jedi.

Perhaps that's what this trilogy is about: finding the way back to true Jedi-ness.

6. The Vanguard

Apr 12, 2016
    An interesting take! And one i happen to agree with. The Jedi order definitely had become complacent. But they were also too involved. They are keepers of the peace, not soldiers. But they had Jedi embedded within the military all over the place, which defeated their original purpose. I agree, they had lost their way and Sidious played them like puppets.

Lulu Mars likes this.
  7. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Does Rey practice some kind of voodoo? That doll dressed like a Rebel pilot, is she so engaged in the mythos of the Rebellion and the Jedi that she attempts some kind of connection with it through the use of a voodoo like magic?

8. mihaitzateo

mihaitzateo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 5, 2015
    Luke is of exactly of same mind as Yoda,he changed himself.
    This why Luke retired,not because he is afraid.
    And Rey is thinking the same way .
    No idea how some people here came with the idea that Rey is attracted by the dark side,when she hears
    ,in a vision,the voices of Obi Wan and Yoda,whispering to her.
    I have my own opinion that Rey is somehow inspired by the Daughter from The Clone Wars,season 3,episodes 15-16.
    Maybe J.J watched that episode and it impressed him a lot.
    Rey should have been outraged by the fact that Kylo killed his father and should have killed him,without having any second thought,
    if she would have been under the influence of the dark side,or attracted by the dark side. Because the dark side made people more merciless.

9. FanFromNY

FanFromNY Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 28, 2016
    Anyone else noticed the callback to ANH, after the destruction of the Hosnian system, the scene showed Rey running in the forest and then stopping in her tracks as if she felt it? Also, I'm stuck on the wording Kylo used, "she's only beginning to test her powers, the longer it takes to find her, the more dangerous she becomes." Dangerous is not how one would describe a potential jedi in the making.

10. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    "Dangerous" to him and the FO, since Rey has ZERO reason to do anything but loathe them at that point (and now for that matter)/

thejeditraitor likes this.
  11. Mister Bones

Mister Bones Jedi Master star 3

Jan 27, 2016
    Depends who's doing the describing. Being Kylo, I would say that it's a pretty apt way to describe a potential Jedi in the making, from his pov.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  12. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Ahem. :)

[​IMG]

13. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    Yeah how many Stormtroopers/Imperial personal do you think that Luke killed when he blew up the DS? Hundreds, thousands even? Seems "dangerous" to me, if you're an Imperial that is. For the FO, Rey is similar.

14. Darth Mikey

Darth Mikey Jedi Master star 3

Sep 7, 2015

Yes,Love it!! They stopped following the Will of the Force, and instead were following the Will of the Republic. When they cannot act in certain situations unless getting approval from the Senate...yeah, they definitely strayed off the path.

The Vanguard likes this.
  15. mihaitzateo

mihaitzateo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 5, 2015
    Well anyone noticed that even if Rey is very skilled in fixing things,piloting ships,using light sabers she has a minor contribution to the success of the Resistance ?
    The only thing with which Rey contributes is that she saves Finn,from the Empire.
    Saving BB8 and the map to Skywalker of getting in the hands of the Empire is in TFA of no use to Resistance.
    Even worse,this map is actually the cause for which Supreme Leader Snoke asks that the planet on which the resistance is,to be destroyed.
    And is actually Finn,Han Solo,Chewbacca and also Poe Dameron and the pilots of the resistance, which are saving the Resistance planet from the terrible weapon the Empire had.

As a side note,considering how strong is Luke with the Force,is quite clear that he would have felt if Kylo and Snoke would have come after him and leave the planet on which he was staying. I am pretty sure that Luke also has a ship,on the planet on which he stays in exile. The weapon that the Empire had was destroyed, (with almost 0 contribution from Rey at this) so, Snoke could not have used this weapon,against any other planets,including the planet on which Luke is staying.

Leia also has a great contribution,at saving the planet of the Resistance since she is the "brain" of this mission.

16. Evetssteve10

Evetssteve10 Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 21, 2015
    BTW to all the people asking how Rey can pilot if she's "never left Jakku" there is a line in the actual movie after they take down the TIE's where she says something to the effect of "I've flown but I've never left the atmosphere!!!"

17. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    "I've flown ships before, but I've never left the planet." And tellingly, she never really pilots the Falcon on her own after they leave Jakku. And yes, in terms of the overall conflict of the film, mihaitzateo is correct. She doesn't really end up contributing much to resolving it at all.

GMGalenMarek likes this.
  18. Evetssteve10

Sep 21, 2015

Kind of. She does have a huge part in the aspect that if she would have been captured or killed and allowed Finn to die ( to a lesser extent ) the entire war may have been lost in that moment. Her survival and finally grasping to her power and not running away from it is the emotional/personal resolution to the conflict that will have HUGE impacts later

19. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    Yeah but in terms of the main conflict, she doesn't:

-She doesn't end up getting BB-8 to The Resistance (that's Han, Finn, and Chewie).
    -She gets captured, so plays no role in planning the attack on SKB (and Finn gives them all the intel that they need).
    -She plays no role in destroying SKB beyond, opening a door for Han and Chewie once (Han, Chewie, Finn, Poe, and Leia all do more there).
    -Etc.

Basically her "victories' are all either saving her own backside, or cleaning up her own mess. Heck it took Finn fighting standing up to Kylo just to set up her beating him (because otherwise she'd be Kylo's prisoner again and on her way to Snoke). And I'm NOT complaining about this BTW, it's interesting. It's just something that I noticed when viewing the film.

20. Evetssteve10

Sep 21, 2015
    Yea ur absolutely right I just wanted to point out the importance of her arc and resolution in TFA is all. It's not like she didn't do anything at all. But I agree with your sentiment, but in the end I feel that all of that other stuff pales in comparison in importance in the long run - all the Starkiller stuff was more in the background to the real meat going on

GMGalenMarek likes this.
  21. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    Cool fan art.

The Vanguard likes this.
  22. RedVad

RedVad Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 29, 2012
    from imdb

23. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    Ah yes, the cesspool of imdb. I take their opinion about as seriously as I take Michael Bay's. That is, not at all. But for the sake of argument:

-She works on multiple types of machines (for example it's heavily implied that she worked on the MF before). And we see droids hanging around Nima Outpost speaking to other characters. So she learned how to speak it from living in close proximity to such beings for over 15 years, and seeing them on a daily basis.

-She mentions having piloted ships before, but never left Jakku (and tellingly she doesn't really pilot on her own ever again after they leave Jakku). So if it can buy Luke jumping into an X-Wing, out-flying older/more experienced pilots in a full-scale battle, being able to dogfight Darth Vader the "best Starfighter pilot in the galaxy" and give him a run for his money, AND blow up the DS, then I can buy this. Because we never actually SEE Luke pilot anything other than a landspeeder in ANH as well, we're just kind of told that he's a good pilot in a couple of lines of dialogue. Also Rey wrecks part of Nima Outpost just trying to take off, and sustains multiple hits from two random faceless TIE pilots, which is more damage that Luke took during the Yavin IV battle.

-And yeah, if you know how to disassemble something, it's not uncommon to learn how to put it back together as well. I've done it myself actually.

-She knows how to fight, but I wouldn't call her an "adept" fighter exactly. There's nothing fancy about how she fights, it's the very definition of "crude but effective." And even when she duels Kylo, she's clumsy and awkward with a weapon that she's never used before, and basically just beats him into submission (by pulling a "use the Force, let go Luke" moment and letting the Force guide her actions) using brute force/aggression, not fancy technique. The argument that she's "perfect" with the saber in an of itself shows just how little that poster paid attention to the actual film.

Same could be said for a lot of these actually.

24. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    Watch the film again, she was getting her *** handed to her for 90% of the duel. She was fleeing until they got to the cliff. It wasn't a duel, it was a rout until she let the force in and surprised Ren, when he was finally spent from injury and chasing her.

25. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    Yeah look how awesome she looked. You know, running away as fast as she could and resorting to cutting tree branches to try and slow him down, and getting back up against the edge of a cliff, both literally and metaphorically. And that was against an opponent who was only partly-trained himself, as well as being badly injured, exhausted, and mentally unraveling after killing his own dad. Yeah, such a flawless fighter there.

You know at first I was disappointed that they weren't going to use Duel of the Fates in this movie. But having seen it, that music wouldn't have fit these duels at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.