main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Daisy Ridley (Rey) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Chained Prometheus, Apr 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    It's also worth noting that she's not a Jedi.

I think she did look good even then, at least in terms of agility.

2. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    True, but even that makes total sense with how she's set up. Her job that she's been doing for the last 15 years required her to be physically fit nd agile. But it was still in service of, running away.

3. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    Yeah, and that makes total sense with how her character is set up. And that agility was in service of, her running away from Kylo.

EDIT: Sorry, double post.

4. RedVad

RedVad Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 29, 2012
    I can't really buy Rey as a scavenger, you'd think Unkar would have sold her into Hutt sex slavery.

That would make for a very interesting character but it's too politically incorrect and anti-disney. That's the Star Wars David Lynch needs to direct.

5. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    Why would he do that though (and assuming that there are any Hutts around0? She's obviously a pretty good scavenger and he's the big dog amongst the second hand goods/junk trade on Jakku. She turns him up some decent enough stuff, he short changes her pretty much at will and turns a profit regularly. He's just enough of a jerk to exploit her skills and passivity without being an utter rhymes-with-pickhead and forcing her to become a sex slave which is all kinds of grim and not really what Star Wars SHOULD be about (and yes that does include Leia's misadventures back in the OT days.)

6. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    I think you might be looking for a different kind of movie.

7. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  8. RedVad

RedVad Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 29, 2012

Unkar gives her a pretty good deal compared to kid Anakin who had explosives planted in his head and was made to compete in dangerous pod races due to his jedi talents.

mihaitzateo likes this.
  9. mihaitzateo

mihaitzateo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 5, 2015
    I think Unkar sent Rey to bring him ship parts giving her instead food portions.
    He did not kept Rey as a slave,she was free to go ; the fact that she did not had how to go,since she lacked the money to buy a ship,is another part of the story.

10. Stoneymonster

May 8, 2002
    She not only was free to go, she was seemingly eager to get back for most of the film! That's how strong her desire for family is.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  11. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    Well she wasn't going anywhere any time soon as she was under the belief whoever left her there was going to come back for her eventually... and Unkar knew that. He was probably even looking out for her in his own way but his own way wasn't very nice - she's much more use to him retrieving things for him to sell so he will keep her fed enough to do that job. Pure pragmatism rather than any benevolence.

12. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    Yeah keeping her just well-enough to keep doing her job (it's also heavily implied that he has her help him work of ships from time to time as well, including the MF) makes sense from his POV. More so than just selling her, which would be a one-time deal (as opposed to a lifetime of cheap service/labor if keeps her around).

And Rey wasn't a flat-out slave like Anakin was (none of the people on Jakku seemed to be). "Wage slave" would probably be more accurate.

Stoneymonster likes this.
  13. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
  14. Stoneymonster

May 8, 2002
    Indentured servant, at least effectively.

15. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    My lord, she is so awesome. Her athleticism/muscles make me (as a 26 year old guy) feels, really REALLY out of shape, by comparison. ;)

thejeditraitor likes this.
  16. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    Not here to discuss any Super Rey things. Simple question It's bothered me Everytime I watch the film.

The cliff scene where Rey says "The Force". Is that altered with CG? Or is that purely her with Blue/ on set "light" Sabers.
    Her eyes flicker so fast and it always looks impossible to do.

17. BenYodaDagobah

BenYodaDagobah Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2016
    A portion of Rey and Kylo's duel with Duel of the Fates starts at 3:22 and fits fairly well in this edit, better than I thought it would. What do you think?

18. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    Kind of, but it just seems to fit the more acrobatic/stylized fight scenes of the PT better. Ironically it works better here BEFORE the actual duel starts. But who knows, if their skills both increase in the next two films, maybe they'll bring the music back as well.

I was surprised that, outside of the brief scene with Vader's helmet, we didn't get at least a remix version of the Imperial March either with the FO (and kind of impressed actually).

19. doduble

doduble Jedi Youngling

Apr 30, 2016
    I want it noted that I am the one that can realized the truth first, and it is that.... What he was referring to "what Vader started" is the key to the prophecy of him (or his family linage) to bring "balance to the force" isn't necessarily about killing off the Sith for good or getting rid of all of them, (they have believed to do so many times through out the SW history but the keep popping back up when believed to be finally killed off (as do the jedi in the rare occasions that the sith have pulled it off, and that's why i've come to this conclusion) Its about bringing balance to the force in the jedi meaning in all force wielders. What I mean by that is they have to balance the good and bad within themselves and understand that they cant ignore a whole side to "human nature" and push out all emotions and connections cause it makes the force want to balance out by putting pure desire, anger, hatred, and yes LOVE (basically emotion) into a pure uncontrolled form (The Sith).

What I believe happened is luke has realized that and or Vader/Anakin force ghost informed him about the realization. However he came the the conclushion he thought he mastered it or has and tried to teach it to the next gen of jedi, (or maybe they have a new name given that they would be nether pure jedi or pure sith, I would guess 80% Jedi goodness and control 20%Sith or allowed CONTROLLED emotions), anyway something when wrong sith his star pupil Kilo Ren and he couldn't control the emotions and the darkness that exsist in all intelligent beings but is completely suppressed in jedi and controlled by others who are just good people. So he,... well we all know what he did, whet all Cad Bane on the younglings, and maybe misinterpreted Vaders conclusion and figured that both sides had to be destroyed and is in the dark side to get the last sith lord then get Luke to end it all? (ya the last theory is just a wild guess but I figured id throw it in there while i'm writing this).

In conclusion I believe that the Balance that's been talked about throughout the series is about finding a balance within the jedi and or all force wielders and not pushing it out of all of the jedi to make/force the "Force" and or Universe to correct the imbalance by creating a pure form of the darkness with in a few beings (Sith) to rebalance the "Force". So Luke was trying to teach the new Jedi how to allow them to accept all aspect of themselves but to control emotions, connections and cravings so they all take a little bit of the burden of "darkness" that exist in all and not allow it to (of need to) rebalance the force with a pure dark entity with the Sith.

20. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Welcome to the boards. If you keep spamming the threads with this off topic post, you won't be here long. This is your warning.

21. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    it's wrong anyway. the force was balanced by anakin when he destroyed the sith in rotj. the end.

22. doduble

doduble Jedi Youngling

Apr 30, 2016
    I didn't spam anything I cant find where to post my OPINION, theres Too many freaking threads and where would you suggest I put it, And out of curiosity who are you and why do you have such a problem with EVERYONE! it seem your task here is to just threaten people for having the nerve to ummmm whats the word im looking for....... oh ya post "stuff " on a blog like a frog........ Oh or let me guess my "Rhyming" bugs you toooo, oooh im soooo offended maybe give me another n00b award again, HAHAHAHAHA oh ya that one hurt like im weak minded enough to let someone tell me who and what I am.... go ahead and keep that up to make you feel better about yourself.

And how about you give helpful advice to new people to the forum "n00bs" instead of threating them and nit picking, lets keep it about the content of the post and not about your ability to tear people down. May the Force be with you..... Mr Magoo.... Oh I did it again sorry about the rhyme.

23. Dagobah Dragonsnake

Dagobah Dragonsnake Jedi Master star 4

Feb 7, 2016
    The discussion about "Gray" Jedi potential or possibility has been going on in various threads for months. Though having been brought up several times in different places, it is an interesting speculation, but has not had its own recently active thread since it become applicable at times in others, like this about Rey (Daisy actually).

Regarding Pro Scoundrel and others, please regard the avatars, and recognize the moderators .. who do have the right to do what they are doing and pull someone's plug if they deem it appropriate. Best way to get going is to review the welcoming threads and terms of service first.

24. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    there is no such thing as "grey jedi". they're called force wielders.

25. Dagobah Dragonsnake

Dagobah Dragonsnake Jedi Master star 4

Feb 7, 2016
    I was referring to speculation going forward, and referencing speculative posts in various threads. Since this is fan speculation, there can be anything ... anything at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.