main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Daisy Ridley (Rey) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Chained Prometheus, Apr 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    Agreed and thanks for reminding me! ;)

I rather doubt however that was an intended connotation, but point taken. After all, I'm perfectly happy with Finn, which is also Irish. :) Also some typically male Irish names end in -a as you know (Enda, Éanna etc) which is the opposite convention from female names in many other languages, so they may sound feminine to some I suppose.

I want to make it clear that I don't object to the name; I just think the rather more well-known Spanish meaning is what rather more people will associate it with for better or for worse, and is the one I was immediately reminded of when I first read it. If it was say, 'Ray' it would have a totally different meaning in my head again, and like I've said more than once now, I'm sure it will grow on me, and probably rather quicker than Han did... ;)

2. Spy Vs Dog

Spy Vs Dog Jedi Master star 3

Jan 25, 2004
    I used to think Darth Vader was "Dark Vapor" when I was a little kid, still worked fine. The names really aren't going to matter. Even Hammerhead and Squid Face didn't really offend my sensibilities that much.

I could see if they named a main character Billy Bob or Keanu.

3. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014
    If Alec Guinness were getting a card for the first time, it may have said Ben instead of obiwan

4. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    Indeed. As I said earlier, I assumed that was his one and only name for months leading up to the release of ANH. I have the original blue set of Topps trading cards and he is called Ben (Obi Wan) Kenobi on one of the cards, but just Ben on all the others on which he appears. It simply didn't occur to my rather young mind at the time that Obi Wan was his original name until I saw the movie.

Also as someone else pointed out earlier, SW does have something of a tradition of characters who have more than one name. ;)

Yanksfan and DARTH_MUPPET like this.
  5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Is on desert planet, hangs out with a droid, probably the lead of the movie, I'm thinking good odds she's a Skywalker.

6. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Is that the looks like a duck, quacks like a duke, must be a duck. BigAl?

7. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    Looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, must be a bantha.

8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
  9. bluemilkcheesypuffs77

bluemilkcheesypuffs77 Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    What
    What do you mean know several? So you now have an insight into the character Rey in EPVII? Does this mean her actual name is Red? Does she have red hair? Will she wear Jedi robes? So many questions, I need to see this movie now!

10. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    Patience 18/12/15 will answer your questions.

11. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003

Yes. My confession that I know living breathing humans who live on earth with the same name as a fictional character in a film is actually my completely random, out of context way of saying that I know things about the character; as opposed to how my statement deceptively appears on the surface... with all of its subversive, unified context to the discussion about the name in question being one given to females. Your ability to read has paid off!

#DratFoiledAgain

Rabs, Yanksfan, Revanfan1 and 3 others like this.
  12. turnip white

turnip white Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2014
    Wow this thread really is so random.......

13. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    Rey means Red,:eek:
    Mara Jade confirmed.;)

Joking.:p

Rabs and CairnsTony like this.
  14. Myself656

Myself656 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 5, 2008
    Well... if they REALLY wanted to play with expectations... and to play devil's advocate for just a moment wasn't Mara initially depicted with similar wrappish headgear that concealed her hair? And we can't confirm from that image that Daisy is NOT wearing that long ago rumored red wig under there... and Mara supposed aged VERY well... and Mark apparently has a number of critical scenes with Daisy and they guys fall for girls who resemble their mothers... could it be...

Nah!!! Even I can't follow through on that one and I think I need brain bleach... She's playing a Solo.

15. Seeher

Seeher Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2003
    Red? Like Gleeson red? :p

16. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    @starcean90

Greetings from Seattle...

[​IMG]

TheBBP and starocean90 like this.
  17. Turinsd00m

Turinsd00m Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2014
    She is a child of Han and Leia, so is Kylo. Palps' Force Ghost commands a force-stripped Darth Maul to kidnap them when they are very young, so he can turn them. Only Maul manages to lose Rey in the outer rim where she is sold into slavery until she is eventually found and purchased by Cleigg Lars. Kylo is twisted and turned over time and then eventually sent on a quest to wipe out as many force users as he can.

18. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    In fact most of the Series One and Two cards did refer to him as Ben Kenobi or just Ben. IIRC only the sticker and the card with the headshot were captioned with "Ben (Obi-Wan) Kenobi".

Revanfan1, CairnsTony and starocean90 like this.
  19. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    WOW. Made me a little sad to think of someone actually creating that entry.

20. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001

Yea. I write my own SW stories when I get bored, too.

21. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    Daisey Riddley looks really good! I wasn't familiar with her till now. Her alone wants to make me want to see this film. That seems a bit shallow of me to say, but hey it's me! But seriously I like how that she resembles her family lineage. That was cool that they did that. I am just looking forward to this film all together. My anxiety gets worse by the day waiting for this movie! [face_nail_biting]

22. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
  23. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Oh look, a female comic character looking sexualized. How random.

Yanksfan and my kind of scum like this.
  24. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    your are seriously looking at it the wrong way.:rolleyes:

plaidphoenix and Darth Malgus like this.
  25. Scummy_and_Villainous

Scummy_and_Villainous Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2013
    Just looks like some obnoxious hipster chick I'd see crawling around downtown.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.