main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Daisy Ridley (Rey) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Chained Prometheus, Apr 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012

Yes, I do think that it could happen in a major franchise like Star Wars.

2. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    If people are bothered by it then that's their problem. Disney shouldn't cater their film to them.

3. Royale w/ Codeine

Royale w/ Codeine Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2014
    I don't like catering either. Whether it's in movies or in life in general. But, bending to others out of fear or acceptance is a big part of human nature. See: Sony Entertainment.

4. Leias_Left_Bun

Leias_Left_Bun Jedi Master star 4

Feb 18, 2013
    Yeah, but there's a difference between catering to terrorist threats of violence -- in the Sony case the hackers were threatening to bomb movie theaters -- and catering to that portion of the SW fanbase (hopefully a small one) who are bothered by the idea of an interracial romance. Not to mention that the Sony hackers are reported to be allied with a very dangerous sovereign country.

FWIW, I do think there will be a romance in the ST, most likely between Daisy and John. With possible hints of a triangle that includes Oscar. As long as the romance is well-written, I don't mind at all. But then, I'm a romantic sap.

As far as the story being fresh, as CairnsTony pointed out, a romance between two force users would be new territory and it could explore the whole issue of the no-attachment rule. I know a lot of fans want Luke to be the one who breaks that rule and lays it to rest forever, but maybe Rey and Finn will be the ones to achieve that.

If Luke is the one to break the centuries-old tradition and make history by being the first Jedi to get involved in a long-term, serious, healthy romance, it's something that would have had to happen offscreen. But if Rey and Finn do it, we get to see the history-making relationship play out.

5. MillionthVoice

MillionthVoice Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    So, didn't anyone notice the romance in that other Abrams-directed piece of space entertainment? Did Uhura and Spock sport identical skin melatonin levels?

Seems Abrams at least doesn't care about catering.

6. Royale w/ Codeine

May 19, 2014
    According to ST fans, he didn't care about catering to them either.;)

7. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    He will if this one backfires he will have to hope Star Trek doesn't either

8. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014
    Lando hit on Leia, and as far as I could tell, no one really had a problem with it. Except for Han, of course.

9. Royale w/ Codeine

May 19, 2014
    It was a simpler time. Before the dark times... before the internet.

10. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    OK this thread is back to awkwardness,:p

Royale w/ Codeine likes this.
  11. Royale w/ Codeine

May 19, 2014
    If it wasn't akward before, it is now. Thanks, Mr. Ocean.:p

starocean90 likes this.
  12. Seeher

Seeher Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2003
    See, the whole Spock and Uhrua shipping didn't work because it felt force (imho) and was a distraction to the rest of the movie. I would rather have no romance or a romance between a lead and support character so it doesn't effect the whole movie. If that makes sense.

13. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    the name's
    "Ocean...Star Ocean"
    [face_batting];)

14. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    Regarding "romance", it really depends on how it's executed. In some films it feels forced and unnecessary, and in others, it adds an interesting and entertaining dynamic to everything. For instance, I didn't mind the ESB storyline (ha ha ha, that's a HUGE understatement--I LOVED it), but the AOTC one didn't work for me (which is *very* unfortunate, because obviously in that case it absolutely *was* necessary). So, if done well, it could be fun. If done poorly…it could just be annoying.

I wouldn't mind seeing some sparks between Rey and Oscar's character. But that's just because I think he's hot and think he would make an appealing romantic lead. :p

Knessa84 likes this.
  15. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    I dont care either way as long as there is no Love Triangle, I hate that trope so much it is so overused. I think u can get plenty of conflict between a ex stromtrooper and an alliance pilot without that.

16. Grand Master Galen Marek

Jun 22, 2014
    Off course he did they are both scoundrels.

17. MillionthVoice

MillionthVoice Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    As witty as that retort is, it's still beside the point.

18. Royale w/ Codeine

May 19, 2014
    Thank you. I've always wanted to be referred to as "witty". I can mark that off my bucket list.

Seeher and MillionthVoice like this.
  19. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    So what is going on here?

I think maybe I'm not following the current topic - it looks to me like there is a discussion going about romantic relationships and skin colour.

I know - I feel quite foolish because obviously that is silly, but that is it looks like to a bystander.

Can someone help me out here?

20. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    SW is aimed primarily at children irrespective of the fact that there are millions of adult fans. Kids do not develop racial prejudice unless prejudice is 'normalised' in their eyes by their elders; they learn by example. Disney has an opportunity, should it wish to, to sell a message that shows interracial romance to be entirely normal, which it is.

Movies can be a very powerful medium for promoting forward-looking attitudes and conventions; Disney should put up or shut up if it wants to be in a position to do this; it has the power to be hugely influential. It can either allow itself to be kow-towed by an ignorant and intolerant minority or it can wake up to the simple reality that most people don't care. Regardless of whether we see such a romance in this trilogy or not, this shouldn't even be an issue!

BigAl6ft6 and DARTH_MUPPET like this.
  21. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

What is the pun?

Not just those folk, Abrams openly said that pandering to fans is the worst thing to do when dealing with a franchise.

22. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    I seem to remember this discussion coming up a couple of times when the cast was first announced. It always went around in circles into a heated dark place which ended up in the community boards. Probably going to end up there again.

Hoggsquattle likes this.
  23. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    Wouldn't it be wise, to just ignore anything about "race" when it it is mentioned.

It is irrelevant and irrelevant things don't need to be discussed.

The trolls, bigots and other simple-minded folk will soon be discouraged while the real fans carry on real discussion.

EDIT: I use "race" here for ease if explanation - I actually don't use the term myself, normally, since the colour of a person's skin doesn't mean they are a different race to me. We are humans. That is our race. And there is only one. When other humanoids show up and you hate them based on looks, that is racism. Hating other humans based on looks is just bigotry.

24. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Yeah...this line of discussion tends to go nowhere good. If you really really wanna have a go, feel free to start something in the Senate. Otherwise, time to move on to something different.

25. Grand Master Galen Marek

Jun 22, 2014
    Daisy Ridley thread check.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.