main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Daisy Ridley (Rey) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Chained Prometheus, Apr 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    ah ok, so she's Luke's adopted daughter.[face_devil]

nightangel likes this.
  2. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Tatooine is some huge magnet for human Force chosen-one types. They just seem to all end up there at some point.

I can't see Rey having been trained by Luke at all or let alone adopted by her prior to TFA. But that's just me.

3. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    That could be a reason for her being angry at him. ;)

Or maybe he was kidnapped in a surprise attack as mentioned by Starocean (with the problem that in such a case Han/Leia would not know where he is). [face_dunno]

starocean90 likes this.
  4. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    we still don't know how the characters through a lightsaber (blue or green) find Luke's location.;)

nightangel likes this.
  5. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Perhaps Han and Leia had Rey trained by Luke, but then Luke abandoned her and she, for some reason, never went back to Han and Leia.

Anything can happen but I feel almost certain that Rey will end up being Han and Leia's daughter.

6. Alien Vanguard

Alien Vanguard Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2015
    Pardon me if this is common knowledge (I haven't read any EU stuff or other SW-related lore about it) but does a (the?) kaiburr crystal attract force sensitives or do they merely sense it if they happen to be in proximity?

7. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Very interesting insight actually. Isn't there a rumor where Rey and Finn talk to an alien who shows them what, in some interpretations, looks like a crystal?

I envision Tatooine as a kind of SW Holy Land. A neutral "birth of humanity" of sorts that is central to all.

Just think: Anakin was born there but never detected until Qui Gonn went there. Luke was taken there by Obi-Wan and neither were detected during a time of Jedi holocaust. Why not have Rey be there for symbolic reasons and thus not being detected? And maybe the crystal has something to do with this.

8. Knessa84

Knessa84 Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 21, 2014
    I wouldn't take the character background for casting too seriously. They aren't going to reveal too much about the character to hundreds of people at an open casting call considering how secretive they've been about TFA. Just to give them an idea of character traits. And orphan who doesn't know her parents could translate to being independent, self-sufficient. And the "Rachel" description was supposedly used to cast more than one character. Additionally, they used a script practically from Hunger Games - nothing to do with Star Wars.

And people are giving Kyle from Cantina way too much credit. He says Rey is an orphan who was rescued by Luke when her parents were killed but he also said that Domnhall Gleeson is Han/Leia's son and that Sydow did the voiceover for the teaser trailer, among several other things that have been proven wrong. I believe he has the best intentions, but he even admitted to being trolled by his own sources.

9. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Natural Force Nexus of some sort. Trolled by your own sources lol, that is just sad.

10. burg2774

burg2774 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 1, 2008

I like the thought(s) of these potential conflict ideas between Rey and Luke. Star Wars at its core is about conflict (dark vs light, idealism vs corruption), and the choices those GFFA players invloved make. In some cases the inaction of characters can have dire consequenses.

11. Leias_Left_Bun

Leias_Left_Bun Jedi Master star 4

Feb 18, 2013
    Right. And apparently you think because B was the son of A, then C must be the offspring of B or it doesn't make any thematic sense. That's short-sighted. It's kindergarten logic.

No. I think the main hero of the ST will be Luke's heir. But Luke's heir could be any one of the following: 1) his biological child, 2) his biological niece or nephew, 3) his adopted child, or 4) a student of his.

As long as Luke forges a strong mentor-type bond with the person, his heir could be anybody, including a random orphan.

...So you hope. And I think this attitude shows an extremely narrow concept of family. According to you, only a biological child "counts" and anybody else -- be they niece, nephew, sister or whatever -- is relegated to the same level as a minor character like Wedge.

Family is about so much more than just fathers and sons.

I also think you are doing a massive disservice to the character of Luke. One of Luke's best traits is his enormous capacity for love and compassion. And to suggest that Luke cannot forge a deep emotional bond with his niece or nephew, or for that matter a random orphan who becomes his student, is an insult to Luke's character,

As opposed to your profound, in-depth analysis that the only reason Godfather III didn't work was because Vincent was Michael's nephew instead of his son.

Baron_Papanerd

Back in 1977 when I first saw Star Wars with my school friends, after the movie I remember we argued about who we liked better, Luke or Han? And now, almost 38 years later the Skywalker-vs-Solo debate is STILL going on! Except now it's about who gets to be Rey's father.

Honestly, I think it's only going to get worse as the months go by.

Zuckuss the Ruckuss

I disagree completely. Jimjam accurately described the lightsaber more than a month before the first pictures leaked. You have absolutely no evidence to back up your claim that the picture had been "floating around" for a long time before it leaked and that's where jimjam got his info.

The only way we have to judge all these rumor-mongers is by seeing if they can give us accurate information about the film before it becomes public. Jimjam did that.

12. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    Somehow this is funny a little bit.:p[face_laugh]

13. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013

Actually, the concept art stuff has been floating around for months prior to October. Thats the scuttlebutt from the blogging community and the such. Many of them had seen the concept art stuff being shuffled around prior to it being released in October(well before the dump from MF). Apparently it was being passed around the industry. Most didn't want to post it for whatever reasons.

So, I'm making a judgement that its FAR more likely the person in question saw that stuff than actual footage.

14. Leias_Left_Bun

Leias_Left_Bun Jedi Master star 4

Feb 18, 2013
    Ah, I see. "Scuttlebutt" Seems like cherry-picking to me, especially when coupled with the fact that so many posters here are giving credence to some guy on the cantina who has given us bad information (oh, but that's only because he got bad info from his sources). But, hey whatever floats your boat.

nightangel

I agree that it's funny, in a weird sort of way. :p

nightangel likes this.
  15. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013

When I say scuttlebutt, I mean twitter. I believe Devin said he saw a lot of the MF concept art stuff way back in like late June. There is also a lot more of it which we haven't seen but many of the bloggers already have. Apparently it isn't just the guys from Makingstarwars either.

Could many of them be lying? Perhaps, but I don't think so. I'm not talking about Kyle either.

16. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Baron_Papanerd

Back in 1977 when I first saw Star Wars with my school friends, after the movie I remember we argued about who we liked better, Luke or Han? And now, almost 38 years later the Skywalker-vs-Solo debate is STILL going on! Except now it's about who gets to be Rey's father.

Honestly, I think it's only going to get worse as the months go by.

Yeah Leias_Left_Bun it probably will get worse. 8-} :p

I am one of those people that believe Rey will be Leia and Han's daughter; but if she is Luke's daughter, that will be great. I just hope that she is the granddaughter of Vader; rather it be through Luke or Leia. ;)

Leias_Left_Bun likes this.
  17. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Au contraire... I think it's you using the "kindergarten logic" in asserting that thematic connections don't seem to be relevant. Or that there's no pattern in the PT focusing on Anakin and the OT Luke. You believe that was random??? It seems that you don't have anything to back up your contrary position other than not wanting Luke to have a daughter... which seems a very strange stance to take. And if you do have reasons, you're not articulating them very well. I'm struggling to understand if it's the notion of Luke having a child you don't like or Luke's child being the hero of the ST? Hmmm... interesting.

In terms of The Godfather III that isn't what I stated... that focus shifted to Vincent was a symptom of a story that had lost direction... the emotional drivers that made The Godfather and The Godfather II more compelling were gone. Your critique was nothing more than the usually "Sophia Coppola was crap" kind of schtick.

starocean90 likes this.
  18. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    How about a poll?

1. She's Han and Leia's daughter.
    2. She's Luke's daughter
    3. She's an orphan who was taken in by Luke
    4. She's a former student of Luke
    5. None of the above

My vote: #1

19. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    I would say its probably a toss up between her being an unrelated orphan or being the daughter of Han/Leia. Pretty much every piece of speculation from posters has made the Han/Leia offspring stuff incredibly clunky though. We are missing too many pieces for that stuff to work imo. The Luke daughter stuff can explain the orphan angle(to an extent)but then creates another set of problems imo. Adopted daughter/former apprentice could mitigate that somewhat(no need for a mother or why Han/Leia were never caretakers). But, it seems rather roundabout.

I'm still leaning on random orphan with what we know so far.

20. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I can understand some fans will want Han and Leia to have an offspring. But even when both would be Anakin´s grand children, Luke´s kids will alway be the offspring of the Ot hero. Other options like adopted kids sound weak to me as it would be a cheap trick to give the new heroes the Skywalker name without them being blood related. There is no difference between an adoptive son and a padawan IMO. And we have been told the Skywalker name is special, and really powerful in the Force. That makes biological offspring more important.

Once again, I will have no problems with Luke having no offspring, Leia having no offspring, or whatever. I cared a lot about it at this point, but not that much now.

coxie0520 likes this.
  21. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013

Meh, I think that depends on execution. Especially if you are trying to explore certain themes. Adoptive offspring can work perfectly fine if the character is likable.

22. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014

my vote goes to # 2

my 2nd vote would be # 3

:)

coxie0520, Jcuk and starocean90 like this.
  23. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I would say almost everything can work if done properly. But you can´t hype the Skywalker bloodline and say "oh, the most powerful Jedi evah" and so, and then just stck the surname to whatever new character Luke is teaching. That sounds like cheap marketing to me, and something I´m not expecting to happen. There is nothing wrong with introducing new characters with new names. Nothing wrong neither with introducing new members of the family we all know and love.

24. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    How about a combination of 1-2-3-4
    she was a former student of Luke who he took in, after he disappeared she was adopted by the Solos, only to find out later that Luke was always her real (bio) dad.[face_devil]8-}

25. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013

It depends on what you want the Skywalker name to represent. A bloodline or an ideal? It COULD be cheap. But it also be quite poignant if you're trying to explore certain themes.

Regardless, its just a thought...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.