main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Daisy Ridley (Rey) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Chained Prometheus, Apr 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014

you forgot:

Mara

[face_tee_hee]

starocean90 likes this.
  2. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    I don't think she ever had (for real) Mara for a Code Name.:p

nightangel likes this.
  3. Jedi Dragon D

Jedi Dragon D Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    I am surprised that she is able to hide well from getting photos taken or get interviewed by the media/paparazzis, this girl sure knows how to keep a low profile!

4. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    That's not correct. I clearly stated that it wouldn't make thematic sense if the hero's journey for the ST was Han Solo's child as opposed to Luke Skywalker's. That's a very specific point which you don't seem to acknowledge. And from a purely personal perspective, I think it would be quite sad to see next generations of Solo's and Calrissian's et al, but no one with the Skywalker name other than Luke. That doesn't seem quite right somehow...

Not sure what your point is? That's what I believe. I don't think the particular relationship you favour would be thematic. You've not made a case for why an uncle/niece relationship is better?

You seem to be more bothered about my view of those characters than you are in making a case for them. I get that you don't agree. Let's move on.
    I still don't understand why not the orphan motif? At the risk of repeating myself, at least that makes for reoccurring and explicit connection between the main hero of each saga.

You miss my point. SW uses common character archetypes and relationship tropes. The princess, wizard, pirate... the brother in arms etc. The father/son (or father/daughter) relationship is much more common in fiction than the uncle/niece one. And yes, you're correct, one of the reasons why SW 'works' is because audiences can associate with those character/relationship tropes. And that's one of the reasons why the ST would be better for adhering to those archetypes.

Of course you don't. But I believe that when you are make the allegation the onus is on you to convince me why my logic is "kindergarten". As for "ad hominem comments" I don't appreciate them either.

I disagree, but I respect your opinion. I would point out that, yes, 30 years is a long time after ROTJ... especially given that it appears that the happy ending ROTJ gave us it not quite what it appeared all those years ago... And that clearly Luke was not a PT Jedi, but something else I.e. Jedi that had empathy and was emotionally involved with others around him. We also know that Obi-Wan had a relationship. Things clearly changed.

Oh come on now... I used that example because it's germane to the point. No matter how many times you quote me, I still don't state that I believed it was the 'only' reason.

No I don't agree. Clearly the movie was more focused on Vincent's character than Mary's. Mary was a passive character that was never directly moving the narrative forward. If she had, then perhaps the audience would have had more emotional investment. And... like several others here... I certainly don't think The Godfather III is a bad movie, but I think it's clear that they were running out of ideas which, IMHO, made for a flawed (and certainly not as good as it could have been) 'next generation' approach.

starocean90 and nightangel like this.
  5. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    PS - I'm done with Godfather talk too...

starocean90 likes this.
  6. Victorian Time Traveler

Victorian Time Traveler Jedi Master star 3

Nov 20, 2012
    Damn, just when I was getting comfortable with "Rey" being her actual name. I guess we shouldn't be getting comfortable with any of the names that have been fed to us just yet. BB-8 could be a code name as well, for all we know!

7. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    I still don't understand why it's necessary to have a code name if you will reveal the actual name early on. Let alone several code names.

8. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    This thread:

<Such and such at SW7 says that Rey is an orphan and not related to any of the OT3>
    *There goes that theory that she's a Solo or Skywalker.
    *But maybe she still is.
    *No!-the rumor says she isn't so drop it!
    <Such and such at SW7 says that Rey is not really Rey but Kira and is the daughter of Han and Leia>
    *Well there goes the name Rey and the orphan idea.
    *But maybe she is an orphan named Rey.
    *No! The new rumor says she isn't. Get over it.
    *Godfather III sucks!
    * Shut up! Godfather III is awesome!
    * I like jello!

Yanksfan and Leias_Left_Bun like this.
  9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    All of this so we can hear Han utter the famous words: "The Force runs strong in my family. My wife has it. My brother-in-law has it. My daughter has it. My father-in-law had it. I don't have it".

10. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    he's like his mother-in-law.;)

nightangel likes this.
  11. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    "Eh, what do I care. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense anyway."

12. Seeher

Seeher Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2003
    So ... Rey is a 'code name' uh ... so, like, Fawn could still be her real name :p

nightangel, TheBBP and starocean90 like this.
  13. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
  14. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    Yep, ;) and so that his, ahem, 'death scene' is more poignant. :D

15. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    But he has a blaster! Speaking of which, could the long pipe that Rey has be a blaster?

16. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Seems rather long for a blaster maybe a concealed sniper rifle if its not a staff

17. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    It's a piece of junk just there to support the makeshift sling on the side of her speeder.

18. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    If your beliefs hold this much conviction in real life, you're gonna go places. Don't stop believin'. Hold onto that feelin'.

starocean90 and Jcuk like this.
  19. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    This actually made me chuckle. Is that Journey playing in the background?..;)

20. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014

Everyone here is gonna eat so much crow if Fawn is her real name.

hippie1kenobi and Darth_Bertie like this.
  21. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Hmm yeah I think the cards that were released very much allude to her name being Rey, in all honesty. But is it her first or last name? Rey Fawn? Fawn Rey? *shrug* ;)

22. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Rey's parents are Han and Leia. She started to get trained by Luke but Luke left. Rey ran away and was adopted by a new set of parents. Those parents were killed.

Far fetched. And the whole idea of her parents being killed is WAY TOO MUCH like Harry Potter and also Luke (even though it was his aunt and uncle-same premise).

Not buying the whole orphan thing one bit. Maybe she tells others that lie, but I am not buying it. I'm thinking that if she trained under Luke and Luke left, she went to live on her own the best way she could. Or she ran away to live the independent life which wasn't what she expected (hence owning the junkyard).

But orphan? Again? I don't think so.

23. CairnsTony

May 7, 2014
    Sometimes the simplest answer is the obvious one which is why I'm convinced she's a Solo. 99% of the cinema audience will be oblivious to this whole debate. A simple reveal at some point of the movie would come as a surprise to most of them.

I'd say she knows exactly who she is, but that she has a convincing cover story for any sticky beaks who want to pry into her business. Then the lightsabre turns up and all hell breaks loose.... ;-)

24. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Or she lies about her parents to protect her real ones!;)

In ANH, Luke was lied to about his father being dead who was still alive but evil. In TFA, it's Rey who lies about her own parents being dead who happen to be alive and good.

25. CairnsTony

May 7, 2014
    Well indeed. Part of her cover could be that she's an orphan. She may well be good at spinning yarns rather like a sort of Lyra Bellacqua type, whose heritage was gradually revealed in 'His Dark Materials'. Then someone comes along who sees right through her cover (someone Force sensitive maybe?) and blows everything wide open. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.