main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Daisy Ridley (Rey) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Chained Prometheus, Apr 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    I tend to agree with you about Han never having had a relationship then suddenly his daughter pops up. He doesn't know he's her father until they figure it out together. Then, he gets a short set of scenes where they build that father/daughter connection in the second act. Then in the third act, he dies saving her. This is sad, but it would be much sadder if Han died never having any children with Leia (after they spent time building their relationship in the OT) or died never even knowing she was his daughter. But we, as audiences, would never have seen her grow up with her parents in either case.

It's a complicated issue. Where do they go with the story? Do they create a whole new generation unrelated to the OT3, thus creating the opportunity of developing independent back stories? Or do they make new characters related, but risk the idea that they had a long-term relationship with their parents? We know now from the flashback scene that they were away and didn't reunite with their parents.

2. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    It's much simpler for her to be Luke's daughter.

3. Knessa84

Knessa84 Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 21, 2014
    Not really. Because then we need the whole background of how that came to be, too, who's mom, why she's living on her own away from Luke, etc.... It's the same type of flashback.

4. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013

Yeah, if she is a family connection: she being Han/Leia's daughter makes the most sense. The beats seem to line up. It explains Ren/Rey etc. I also don't think she is unfamiliar to Han considering we immediately end up on the freighter.

If she was an orphan then there wouldn't be someone very close by who snatches her up coincidentally. Also, if you read the descriptions: Finn is the outsider, not Rey. At least thats not what it feels like.

Han Drolo likes this.
  5. Han Drolo

Han Drolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 9, 2014
    That would be the most obvious route, because if Chewie and Han are on the freighter , who left the Falcon on the Desert Planet?

6. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000

Remote control. Would be cool if Rey and Finn are about to jump to hyperspace when the Falcon turns round by itself and heads for the Freighter. Cue Finn saying "I've got a bad feeling about this."

7. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Honestly, I think another "I am you father" moment won´t be anything special. Those things work once. How can she being related to the OT3 be a surprise? Is she related? Fine, show it early. Is she not related? Fine as well, make it clear as well and move on.

8. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013

I agree with you: secret parentage has been done. Apparently its going to be done with Kylo. That is enough. No more.

This doesn't have to be the exact beats of the films that preceded it. The dynamics of the O3 doesn't have to be repeated exactly with the new characters. It needs to find its own thing even if its using stuff as inspiration.

9. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    special to new fans yes but not to older ones no, these movies are not just for the fans.;)

10. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013

I completely disagree new fans wouldn't care at all. Older fans seem to obsess about this stuff.

11. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    I disagree,[face_devil]
    How many times have I read people here, complaining that any reveal is a rehash of past movies,yet how can it be a rehash to people who never watched any SW movie before or only watched the PT.[face_not_talking]
    the fans are only a small portion of the overall audiences.

nightangel likes this.
  12. unicron5

unicron5 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 19, 2002

Luke, I am your father

Is a pretty famous plot reveal though, one of the most famous in movie history. It's not some little thing that only the hardcore Star Wars fans really know about.

13. soul8luos

soul8luos Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2013

A reunion of father and daughter at the end is much more powerful than anything else to be honest.

ChildOfWinds and starocean90 like this.
  14. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    yet knowing about it is not the same as watching it, (assuming kids these days even know about a reveal from 3 decades ago).;)
    and even then any reveal should be possible if it fits the story regardless of complaints of rehash or whatever.[face_devil]

15. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013

But you are already rehashing through Kylo Ren who is probably the brother of Rey. There it is. We don't need to add another clunky narrative element that she is Luke's daughter(or Gleeson being a son) for that matter. The rhyming is already enough.

Do you watch these movies for the characters(regardless of their relationship) or are you a hobby genealogist?

16. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    In all honesty, it doesn't have to be used as a big twist or revelation. It would be more of a touching moment for Han to realize that he gets to see his daughter who may have been missing or away for some other reason. I do agree that if it is to be done, do it at least near the midway part of the movie so that Han and Rey can have at least a brief knowing father/daughter relationship.

17. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    believe whatever you want, you and I rarely agree on anything and we see things differently.[face_devil]
    I agree with nothing in your post.[face_not_talking]

18. soul8luos

soul8luos Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2013

If the call sheets contain the major beats of that particular scene, then why is Chewie's reaction more important than Rey's?

19. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    what do you mean???:confused:

20. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Leaving aside the debate about whether the Big 3 should have offspring or not, Iñm just talking about that offspring being secretive. We have read rumors about three roles being offspring characters: Rey, Kylo Ren, and Gleeson. I have yet to read a rumor that says those roles are known as offspring in the movie itself. It´s all about a surprise reveal.

Not to mention, if Rey ends up being an offspring character (I am willing to say Kylo Ren almost is), that would leave 100% out Gleeson IMO. Too much offspring, too much family reveal rehash IMO.

21. Knessa84

Aug 21, 2014
    I'm thinking father thinks daughter is dead, is reunited with daughter, then sacrifices himself for daughter is even more powerful.

Still on the fence as to whether Han is aware Rey is alive and they already have a father-daughter relationship though.

CairnsTony likes this.
  22. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013

If Rey doesn't know Han: Han will likely never make that connection to Rey. The freighter to Rose pub would be the only real time they spend together.

I think Rey gets captured(Rose pub) which probably leads Han to Leia for help. Han goes to the dark castle to rescue.

23. Knessa84

Aug 21, 2014
    Through the vision. Han would recognize his own daughter as a little kid. He takes her to Leia when he realizes who she is and that she's alive.

24. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013

I don't think Han sees that vision at all. The scene only seems to concentrate on the faces Rey and Finn.

Its possible that Rose references an orphan girl while Han is listening(its being told in voice over)and Han makes a connection.

But still, they wouldn't reconnect like that. Rey runs and gets captured by Kylo.

25. Knessa84

Aug 21, 2014
    I think Han does. Because Han and Finn don't notice that Rey and BB-8 have gotten up from the table and Rey ran away upset. He has to be preoccupied, i.e., seeing the vision.

I also think the purpose would be for Han to see Kylo in the vision as well and what's become of him.

CrazyOldJedi likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.