main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Daisy Ridley (Rey) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Chained Prometheus, Apr 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    I think Finn fits the Han Solo character arc but more clumsy and comic relief.

CrazyOldJedi likes this.
  2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Great line from a Season 1 lost writer reflecting on the show

http://okbjgm.weebly.com/lost/the-lost-will-and-testament-of-javier-grillo-marxuach

"In spite of her relative lack of experience, Evangeline Lilly had already been identified as a potential Kate, the latest in a long line of JJ-discovered talent going back to Keri Russell and continuing with Jennifer Garner."

Which is basically why I'm totally okay with Daisy Ridley being cast because, if anything, JJ knows how to cast unknown lead females.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  3. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012

Wrong then but not really. Han is a fully formed dude who is world weary, he is a vet. All he needs is a little heart of gold help.

4. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

He might be the funny one**, but he isn't going to be the "comic relief".

Where do you get the notion he will be "clumsy"?

** And that is doubtful - he is a stormtrooper who switches sides.

- If his reasons are on moral grounds, then he more likely to be a more serious and thoughtful type. He will still have humorous moments but he won' be the smart alec.

- If his reason are self preservation, then he might be a cynical type and then he might be the funny one of the there.

- I think the odds are that Rey (if she is the daughter if Leia and Han) will have inherited elements from her parents so I think it is most likely that she will be the funny one.

- However, none of the leads will be "comic relief".

5. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    Do most people here agree that it is a gaffi stick we see on the side of Rey's swoop in the teaser?

If the gaffe stick and the swoop belong to Rey**, it suggests that she is already proficient at hand-to-hand combat by the start of TFA.

** She could have rented it on her arrival on Tatooine, or we could be actually seeing her steal it in that clip, and the weapon may simply just be attached and nothing to do with her.

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  6. m4st4

m4st4 Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 24, 2014
    The reason why MSW used the name Kira in several occasions is because that's one of her codenames.

My best guess is that Rey truly isn't her real name, but also that her real name won't be Kira/Something/...Solo/Skywalker! but something totally different. It's a new lineage and she needed to use Rey for disguise from Kylo Ren, they have a personal history.

Again, The Force Awakens... anew. This is a totally different storyline which could easily span over six movies. The Big Three are here to connect the old with the new.

7. adamclark83

adamclark83 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2009
    I really hope Rey is the only Force-sensitive in the new trilogy.

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  8. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000

It's not a Gaffi stick (it actually looks nothing like one), MSW reported way back that the Red speeder has been seen in concept art with a makeshift sling on the side and BB-8 nestling inside the sling. After her ownership of the four-engined 'tug' and the twin-engined flatbed speeder had been consigned to the trash can it appears that she only owns the Red speeder. After she scavenges the wrecked Star Destroyer and finds BB-8 she puts the droid (along with some other bits she finds) into the sling on the side of her speeder and heads to the Salvage Station. The shot in the trailer of her approaching the Salvage Station was obviously unfinished.

If she uses any weapon at all it will be a hand blaster as that is what was depicted in some of the concept art.

9. Wildcatbarry

Jan 23, 2015
    I think Finn will give Rey the reason to throw the one liners.

His inexperience will be his clumsiness or lead to errant thoughts or actions. (edit)

She will speak the funny dialogue at his expense.

CrazyOldJedi likes this.
  10. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    Wildcatbarry

Where are you getting the idea that Finn is "clumsy"?

11. Wildcatbarry

Jan 23, 2015
    Maybe clumsy was not the correct word to use.

He is inexperienced and therefore will make some mistakes or make errant actions.

I get this from the rumored Rey quotation - "Are you gonna shoot back or what?".

Maybe clunky would be a better adjective to describe his inexperience.

12. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

I see, however, if that is an actual quote from the movie it doesn't suggest to me that Finn is clumsy or necessarily that he is inexperienced.

They are in a firefight and Finn apparently hesitates for some reason (maybe he doesn't want to shoot at former comrades or something) - it seems very similar to Leia's jibe at Han and Luke in the detention centre when the stormtroopers attack "You came in here, but didn't you have a plan for getting out?".

To someone who hasn't seen ANH, Leia's remark could be interrupted to mean that Han and Luke are incompetent. However, those who have seen the movie know better.

I get what you are trying to say with "clunky", but it (and clumsy) suggest "idiotic" and I doubt one of the new heroes is going to be a buffoon. If Finn is experienced I think just "inexperienced" or "out of his depth" might be more accurate.

Do you simply mean that you hope Rey is the only Jedi in the new main cast and you don't want Jedi Rey AND Jedi Finn or the the two of them plus another? Or do you mean no Force powered people even as supporting characters, like Jedi that Luke has trained over the years?

I'm confused because we have Kylo Ren and "Uber" in the main cast and Force sensitive includes Dark Siders.

I'm guessing just mean the new characters and you are excluding Luke and Leia.

13. Danfromumbrella

Danfromumbrella Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2014
    i wish we got more info on Daisy.

14. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Back when she was cast they asked her father if she was a fan and he said that "she is now". :)

thejeditraitor and Hoggsquattle like this.
  15. Danfromumbrella

May 20, 2014
    That's all that matters. I'm sure all of them watched those original movies in preparation.

16. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    Has Daisy Ridley deliberately kept herself out of the spotlight, or is it Disney that's keeping her behind the curtain?

17. turnip white

turnip white Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2014
    Probably a bit of both, I just think its all new to her and she still learning the ropes. Disney are probably trying to protect her and also there product at the same time.

DarthLightlyBruise likes this.
  18. Danfromumbrella

May 20, 2014
    Idk but Boyega and Daisy have been doing well with the hiding out.

19. DarthLightlyBruise

Feb 11, 2015
    Yeah, though I've still seen a lot more of Boyega. Has Daisy given any interviews at all since she was cast?

20. Myself656

Myself656 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 5, 2008
    You're doomed to be disappointed. Kylo Ren is almost certainly Force-sensitive and 99% likely Rose is too. Plus Luke Skywalker. I do think Rey will be the only new heroic Force-sensitive character though.

Darth_Bertie likes this.
  21. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Wouldn´t you expect Luke or Rose to have some heroic moment at some point?

Revanfan1 and nightangel like this.
  22. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014

you mean when Luke heroically receives his lightsaber? [face_devil][face_rofl]

starocean90 likes this.
  23. DarthLightlyBruise

Feb 11, 2015
    Sure, why not? This guy sure made it look heroic:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    If Hamill can make taking a lightsaber (and hopefully igniting it) that exciting, I'll probably cheer aloud in the theater. Of course, nobody will care because by the time I'm able to cheer the credits will have started rolling. :p

25. DarthLightlyBruise

Feb 11, 2015
    Just imagine Hamill's face instead of Hill's, a lightsaber instead of the Rohirrim sword, and a cave setting instead of a mead hall. Then add Williams' score. This could be the most iconic moment in the film! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.