main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Daisy Ridley (Rey) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Chained Prometheus, Apr 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Admiral_Wyvern

Admiral_Wyvern Jedi Master star 2

Feb 14, 2014
    I know jamming technology exists so perhaps the First Order can prevent messages from leaving their territory. Or listen to them.

Also if the First Order controls the galaxy as some have speculated then the Resistance's contact info may not be readily available.

2. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Ok let's say TBOJ took place roughly the same as Endor. 30 years ago. Say Rey is 20. For the survivors to group together and look to build a community isn't going to happen straight away. It'll take a while before they resemble a settled community. Plus, it's bounty of crashed ships etc attracts criminals, thieves and general scum. And also due to the fact the planet is pretty much lawless. So 3-4 years for a community. Maybe Rey's mother and father were killed when she was a small child by pirates in a raid or whatever on the village. From then she was adopted by a close friend of her parents who runs a salvaging business. See, nothing convoluted about that.

Seeher likes this.
  3. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    I think people are making things much more complicated than they are.

4. Admiral_Wyvern

Feb 14, 2014
    Always a possibility, but JJ is known for loving plot twists. Taking things at face value is not the only legitimate line of speculation.

5. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Very true, but I think that even JJ knows he can't have TOO many in SW.

Max could very well be playing the last living Moff or officer from the Old Empire (see what I did there?) and highly disagrees with the establishment of the New First Order. He could be shown to be someone who represents the idea of the surrendered Empire could be willing to work with the New Republic but the new, younger First Order refuses to allow it. When he betrays them by concealing information about the lightsaber (or maybe he gives Kylo the wrong one) he gets killed. This could all be symbolic. Maybe it demonstrates the idea that the First Order has NO intention for peace. In an instant, their brutality is demonstrated.

Finn, on the other hand shows that there is hope. He turns against the First Order and we are scared for him because we see with Max the Vicar what happens when someone betrays the First Order. Gives us immediate empathies for Finn.

PCCViking and Admiral_Wyvern like this.
  6. 100009223693258

100009223693258 Jedi Padawan star 3

Apr 20, 2015
    You're making it kind of tough, aren't you. :)

First, we have Jakku as "...relativity under the enemy's radar due to its backwater status." And now we have they may be able to jam or listen to communications from a backwater planet. So we kind of have The Phantom Menace going on here, so she should probably be found in a day or two.

Unless we want to say that she's not important enough for them to go looking for her, but she can't send a communication either because then they will go looking for her.

7. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Your username is aneurysm-inducing.

Jcuk likes this.
  8. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Hmm not really. You want complicated? Have a plausible, uncomplicated reason as to how Rey is on Jakku and also, how comes she ends up being a Solo/Skywalker. What's the story behind that?

9. Admiral_Wyvern

Feb 14, 2014
    My assumption was that a communication would have to travel from Point A to Point B and that anywhere down the line the message can be intercepted and terminated/ heard by First Order forces. They don't have to have a large presence in Jakku to pick something up. I am assuming that they would try to monitor communications traffic if they had the capacity.

I'm not sure why it would be a given that they would immediately be able to find her. Surely their territory is large enough to lose someone in.

10. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    No worries, I understand. FTR however I did post what I was told in Carrie's thread. I was going to post it much sooner but then it occurred to me that as a common courtesy I should ask for permission. That permission took several hours to come through.

My initial comment was made in haste as I had just woken up and my brain wasn't up to speed. Then of course I knew I had to back it up. That took rather longer...

My apologies for the way things panned out. It won't happen again; my sense of self-preservation is too well-developed for that. :)

11. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    I think we've had several different ways that could work out scattered throughout this thread. Now, not everyone may like them all or even any of them, but nobody's ever going to be satisfied with everything. Some won't be satisfied with anything!

Simply put though; the massacre happens and Rose ensures that Rey is sent somewhere safe as the Seven are hunting down everyone who is Force sensitive. She offers hope and the only way to protect her is to bring her somewhere far away. Her parents either believe she's dead or is fine with her being away as long as she's safe. She's reunited with her parents who don't know it's her at first but then realize it thanks to Rose's memory trick. Things begin to click into place and Rey freaks out and runs.

I don't find that to be all that complicated. I think it's kind of simple. Maybe a little too convenient for story sake, but then again so are all stories. Some convenience makes it so that things can be told i 2 hours rather than 2 weeks or several months or years (like a TV series).

I think people are trying to find some way to make Rey unrelated. I can't see that being the case. As for it being obvious or not much of a twist, maybe it's not supposed to be tricky.

12. 100009223693258

Apr 20, 2015
    I don't know, I think it's been established in Star Wars that when they're looking for someone they find them pretty quickly. Phantom Menace, obviously. And those were the droids that they were looking for. And it took a little longer, but they still found them on Hoth before they finished setting up the base.

13. Lurknomore

Lurknomore Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 18, 2014
    1. If Rose ensured that Rey was sent somewhere safe, why isn't she living in safety? She isn't being raised on a farm with her aunt and uncle, watched over by a nearby Jedi guardian. She isn't being brought up in the safety and luxury of a royal palace on a peaceful planet. Instead, she lives a "solitary existence" hunting for scrap amid "junkyard thugs" and other dangerous characters. Why would Rose leave her charge in such circumstances?

2. Why would Rose leave at all? To start a bar on another planet? How is that more important than protecting the girl she dropped off on Jakku?

3. Why doesn't Han recognize her? He's already familiar with Rose since he tells Finn and Rey he's taking them to meet her; why would Rose conceal Rey's whereabouts from him?

nightangel and Seeher like this.
  14. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    We may end up learning that Han does recognize her and not only that but he totally knows who she is and has for a long while. As a matter of fact, maybe Han has been looking after her all this time just as Obi-Wan was looking over Luke.

But Rey may very well end up being Luke's daughter instead. BUT Luke would have left his own daughter in times of danger and, based on the fact that she appears to have been at HIS academy, he left her knowingly. And if Luke had Rose look after her, Rose still leaves her. The only added plus is that it's possible that Han and Chewie were assigned to look over Rey and hence the Falcon being on the same planet. But then again, Han would certainly have recognized the girl he was supposedly looking after UNLESS he does but doesn't want Rey to know he does.

But yikes, then if Han and Leia only have Kylo as their son then Han NEVER gets to be alive long enough to see a good child. At least if Rey is his daughter he gets to see her all grown up and on the good side of things.

Once again, MSW doesn't give much context to the outlines he's provided. He's added his own speculation and that spec has changed over time. The Falcon just HAPPENS to be on the same planet as Rey so there's no coincidence. Han knows Rose. Is that any less puzzling than a possible Solo offspring being on the same planet as the Falcon??? Lots of questions about how things could work out but those questions don't preclude things from being true or not. They just add to the mystery.

That's one of the biggest problems with not having a context while ALSO having preferences. Of course I am making assumptions and fitting things into the story accordingly. At this point, we all are doing that.

Knessa84 , nightangel and iluvkoalas like this.
  15. 100009223693258

Apr 20, 2015
    Yeah, the "Gigantic Freighter" scene rumor...
    ...and after evading the Stormtroopers the Falcon gets swallowed up by the "Gigantic Freighter," and that's where Finn and Rey meet Han and Chewy.

So Han apparently had some reason to visit Jakku, docked the Falcon at the spaceport, and took a transport up to the "Gigantic Feighter." And that's just Han being in the right place at the right time; just like he just happened to be in the Cantina when Luke and Obi-Wan walked in; and there for Luke at the Death Star; and finding Luke on Hoth. (That's Han... ) And then of course Finn and Rey stole the Falcon and them evading the TIE is what we saw in the second teaser.

And this part...
    ...this possible speculation on Jason Ward's part sound a tad more plausible than Han pretending not to know his daughter, if you ask me.

So the coincidence can go any number of ways. But that's obviously nothing new.

16. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    @100009223693258
    how do you explain the "Chewie we're home." kinda implies he hasn't been in the Falcon in ages???

17. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012

Home is where the family is?

nightangel and starocean90 like this.
  18. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    Hi, you must be new here.:D

19. 100009223693258

Apr 20, 2015
    That I honestly don't know. The rumor summary here of course placed it during this same sequence.

That could work, but then you have to change a few things. And then how did he lose it, and who's had it all this time (and how much time are we talking about). That aside, I guess you have in this scene those "mods' and "rockers" and MSW saying "Because the gang members are there, Han hides the kids. The pirates appear not to be too happy with Han Solo and their dealings. Han tries to negotiate with them and fails."

And I guess a fight is about to break out, so Han is like "Chewy, we're home"; kind of like the "Just like old times" crack from Luke in Jedi in Jabba's throne room. But that's kind of "eh" to me, so I doubt that's when he says it.

The only thing I can come up with is this (and that places it at a different time in the movie)...
    ...and...
    ...and...
    So as Han and Chewy come off the Falcon the first thing Leia does is start arguing with him and Han sarcastically says "Chewy, we're home."

Why he has his blaster drawn, yeah, I don't know. And yeah, that's all I got on that.

nightangel and starocean90 like this.
  20. Jedi Dragon D

Jedi Dragon D Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
  21. Cellblocker1138

Cellblocker1138 Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 26, 2015
    Hey all, long time lurker first time poster. I think I'm up to speed on most of the rumors from MSW and elsewhere, but poke any holes in this theory if there is something that doesn't seem to work. Here's my theory: Rey is a long lost Solo, kidnapped by her twisted older brother (Kylo) after he massacres the Temple (which is on Yavin) and taken by him aboard his ship (The Falcon, obviously inherited from his father) out into the galaxy. As far as Leia and Han know, they could be anywhere in the galaxy and have no leads where to look. Kylo takes Rey to live under the care of the Vicar or someone else on Jakku ( Why Jakku? It will be of some relevance to the story--not sure what exactly). Meanwhile Kylo continues with his career in pirating (maybe alongside this "Fat Cat" dude), collecting Jedi/Sith artifacts and eventually setting himself up as a sort of "Man Who Would be King" of the scattered and broken Imperial Forces, uniting them under his political re-branding "The First Order." Han never moves on from the tragedy and leaves behind the Rebel/Resistance's larger efforts to focus entirely on finding his long lost daughter, buzzing around the galaxy on a freighter with Chewie and possessing an Ahab-like obsession with finding Rey. Leia comes to terms with their loss and that's why the two are kind of estranged. The Vicar, an ex-imperial, at some point shifts sides to the Alliance/Resistance and contacts Leia when the saber shows up in his little colony. A traumatized Rey has no memory of her origins (Or maybe memory blocked by Kylo?)

There are some big gaps obviously: Where is Luke? Superweapon(s)? Who is Uber? Who is Rose/Naka? Why is Luke's original saber in this freakin movie? But I think it could be the basic story beats for how 1.) Rey is a Solo 2.) She ends up a loner on Jakku 3.) How the Falcon is sitting around collecting dust on Jakku (Kylo ditched it for an upgrade). Han and Leia are also not terrible parents under this scenario because they have no clue where their evil son took their daughter.

I'm in the Solo camp for Rey. Her inheriting the saber AND the Falcon by the end of the film screams that she's of Skywalker/Solo lineage. An addendum to the above theory could also involve Finn somehow being Lando's son, also present at the academy and taken by Ren as well, only to be dumped with some imperial officers later and raised as a storm trooper (Why is Finn involved in this weird flashback vision if he isn't of some relevance to it?) Also Finn's absent last name just seems too suspicious to me. In the early part of TFA, all things will converge back on Jakku: Rey Solo and Finn Calrissian, The Falcon, Han & Chewie, and the group will return to Yavin where it all began with a tragedy at the Temple and they will take their rightful place in the fight they should have always been in.

Team Padme likes this.
  22. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    nope, I think he just says this to the Falcon. [face_love]

starocean90 likes this.
  23. 100009223693258

Apr 20, 2015
    Just to add another thought to this...
    ...Han and Chewy may have their blasters at the ready because this could play out similar to the landing on Cloud City, and instead of Bespin guards we have Resistance guards.

And instead of Leia doing her version of "You got a lot of guts coming here after what you pulled" and then giving him a hug, she just lays into him and starts arguing with him. Then the guards lower their weapons, Han and Chewy lower theirs, and then that's when we get our "Chewy, we're home."

And of course it could be something entirely different. Because is he going to where she is (and bringing her Finn and Rey because they have her droid; BB-8), or she coming to where his is? If it's the former, then this works. If it's the latter, then it kind of works, but not really. Either way, this was just a quick thought on it.

iluvkoalas likes this.
  24. soul8luos

soul8luos Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2013
    Han's dialog coupled with him wanting Rey and Finn off the ship seems to indicate that he doesn't know Rey.
    Now let's assume Rey is a Solo and she and Rose was present the academy, it seems illogical that Han and Rose know each yet Rose chose not to tell him Rey is his daughter.

starocean90 and nightangel like this.
  25. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Bob Iger said that the ST will bring the Skywalker saga to its conclusion and unless it is about Luke building a retirement home I assume there will be a legacy character at some point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.