main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Daisy Ridley (Rey) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Chained Prometheus, Apr 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013

Exactly; Rey's basic story is the origins of both Luke and Anakin put together and taken to the absolute extreme.

2. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    With the movie premiering on Dec 14th we will have to wait 4 days less to know who Rey is.

Not much but still something.

Cellblocker1138 and Qui-Riv-Brid like this.
  3. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Yes on the proviso that that information is correct.

The visual cues we know which seem to include Rey racing along in her speeder with the one sun behind her.

Anakin and Luke had two suns so she is really hard up!

4. Big Boss

Big Boss Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 16, 2015

dude, your outlook and subjective rational or what you keep calling 'logic' is a farce, mainly to yourself. you keep stating things as fact, and if it isnt, its apparently 'illogical' or 'stupid' of the writers/decision makers to go one way or the other. its not, and this is something that really irks me. all the people on these boards and whoever is going to see the movie are fans of the franchise, fans of the material. have there been decisions that have not made everyone happy? yes. are they 'stupid' because of it? no. as for "ruining the characters" thats damn near impossible to happen. the characters already have their stories, and for OT characters, they are only going to be expanded upon. possibly to even greater depths. you dont think Han dying - whether or not its for his daughter/son/cousin/random - is a bad way for a character to complete his arc? k...... you also keep saying youre being logical, when in reality you have a closed mind set, obviously set in stone about one direction you wish for something to go (rey being lukes daughter, or else "it wouldnt make sense"). THAT is illogical. theres countless things in the MSW that havent been mentioned and will be in the film. theres countless things left to interpretation and countless things that will no doubt be wrong.
    i said "you cannot make this out as fact" and you reply with your link to something that STILL is no confirmation either way. that is illogical, especially for someone thats saying they are being 'logical' or using common sense.

to explain why Han would try to kick off Rey ? easy. its not a hard explanation to come up with, and has been done already on the board from what ive seen in the comments, that you are still unwilling to accept. how about i try one: Finn and Rey escape Jakku and get picked up from the a freighter (MSW), ITS HAN AND CHEWY!? (celebrations). they search the ship and find only Finn. he talks with Finn for awhile (finn asked rey to hide/ rey hid, how would they know who it is thats capturing them/who owns the freighter?). suddenyl han sees something he doesnt like about the ship. orders finn to get off the ship! but before that can happen, theyre suddenly attacked by a gang - HAn tries to deal with it, but things go south. Finn/Rey pulls a fuse out and the cargo comes loose. its a good distraction. all hell breaks loose. we then see Rey come out of hiding, kick some ass with Finn. no doubt some memorable scene with Han and Chewy too. they then escape, Rey fixes Falcon, impressing Han. - then on forth with MSW predictions. ALL i did there was remove a couple of things that could have been interpreted wrong, as a means of explaining why Han would instantly try kicking of the kids. which really doesnt need to be explained anyways, as what you call logic, isnt exactly logic, as its been explained already that its completely normal in fiction or REAL LIFE to not recognize a daughter/son/cousin/whatever. open your mind a bit. you'll end up looking like a butthurt fan boy 'criticizing' a movie with no real substance.

5. Big Boss

Sep 16, 2015
    loved this thread btw. some really good points brought up and overall some really solid suggestions being thrown out. im one of a few that wish for the "solo twins". i see more drama and character driven plot from that then the alternatives - Lukes daughter (second preference) or random (last preference, but still see that that would open up a lot of stuff to work with, a lot fo good i feel too) as for explaining the 'daughter being left on Jakku' thing. either way its going to come off bad if this isnt addressed, whether its luke or H/L daughter. no matter what its gonna look bad. but thats one pro for going with Random Rey. we wouldnt care about her parents if it was just randoms who deserted (or died) their daughter and left her on a planet full of thugs and danger. if i was to make a guess how to explain it or 'justify' it, theres countless ways they could go, but i would say that they thought her 'dead' is the easiest way to go about it. whether luke or H/L. this can be further explained by whatever event you could conjure up (KoR, academy slaughter, kidnapped), get creative with it, thats what not only being a fan is for but what these people behind the film are paid to do - BE CREATIVE with the story and product they are trying tell/sell.
    either way ill just mention that either way it goes, it shouldnt be received in a negative light (unless it truly is really, really poorly executed) just because you envisioned it another way. some fans cant get passed this and then decide to turn on the film and give it a bad name. there will be no doubt some 'fans' that feel like this, and thats inevitable, i just have a strong dislike for those people (i/e OT purists).

Rey truly does seem to be the main character of the entire ST. i dont see this as a bad thing entirely, but thats to be seen yet, and we still dont know the actual direction the trilogy is going in eps 8n9. things could be shaken up entirely/changed. there are different directors for each episode (for better or worse) and this means a new spin on each episode. we could even be (as the audience) given no answer as to Rey's heritage in TFA (as something thats been done in all the films before, ESB (luke) and TPM (anakin) as to father reveals or lack of)

MattOrgana likes this.
  6. sterling3763

sterling3763 Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I'm starting to agree that Kylo might have been like Anakin and born with a little darkness in him.

I can see Luke refusing to train Kylo. But Mr. I-won't-kill-my-father-even-though-Ben-and-Yoda-told-me-to probably wouldn't want to kill a misguided kid. He'd probably try to redeem him (even if it was impossible).

Big Boss likes this.
  7. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002

While I see pluses and minuses for all three possible scenarios., I think when you step back and look at all the evidence it does seem to put at her being Luke's kid. To me it all changed when I really read the storyboard spoiler and saw how the movie's drama played out. It just fit better into a better narrative on almost every level. Plus as someone mention earlier, it has speculated that the Lucas/Arndt focus on the Solo kids and obviously JJ wanted to go in a different direction. Considering the question that drew JJ into the project was "Who is Luke Skywalker?" it only makes sense that JJ changed that focus to Luke's kid(s).

sterling3763

But wouldn't Luke be well equipped to handle that since he was born a bit with the dark side in him as well? We saw part of his possible dark side in ETSB and even Jedi. I honestly think it's as simple as Kylo was just kidnapped during the massacre and nothing more. I also think Kylo (and his cousin) were the targets all along. They weren't there to really massacre whoever was there as it was to kidnap the grandkids of Vader. The fact that the new Jedi order (assuming there was) stood in there way was a combination of collateral damage and an extra bonus for them.

Cellblocker1138

I am in the same boat, I read it not only on here but other sites and cannot find a definite link to it LOL! I will say it does make sense when you factor in everything particularly in light of again not only what KK asking JJ about "Who is Luke Skywalker?" but also the announcement by her that Episode X-XII will continue the Skywalker saga on top of JJ and the other filmmakers insisting this was a "original story". Therefore having Solo twins or even siblings sounds too EU for it to be truly an original story.

8. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    sterling3763 Ahem, it was a (dark) joke. I don't think that Luke would do such a thing but perhaps he put his foot down over Kylo and told Han that he needed 'special treatment' which Leia agreed with?

Wildcatbarry and Big Boss like this.
  9. Cellblocker1138

Cellblocker1138 Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 26, 2015

I heard this from StarOcean as well. Do you have a link for this? My understanding was that Lucas/Ardnt focused on the grandchildren of Anakin and JJ changed it to give the OT3 bigger roles. This was the notion until I just recently started hearing about this hugely Skywalker tilted rumor from some of the pro-Skywalker posters here. Haven't been able to track down from a source outside posters on this forum. If you know where I could find it and could post it, much appreciated! [face_peace]

Myself656 and Big Boss like this.
  10. Big Boss

Sep 16, 2015

yes for sure there is pluses and minuses.
    while i do understand what you're saying (though evidence, not to be picky, is a bit strong of a word considering we only have a skeleton rumoured 'synopsis' or whatever, the MSW thang), and yes, strictly from reading the MSW and the very few comments from the people involved with the film, it does look likely that Rey will be Luke's daughter, but there is still room for MSW totally being off or even slightly off. what you saw from the comments made, about "who is Luke Skywalker"? could go multiple directions also, but yeh, i feel like that is one of the more likely scenarios. Rey being a random could be handed more weight from the very same thinking though as well. honestly, from the MSW and all the comments as well as certain social status-quos, its very likely we could have Random Rey. the independent, strong woman that a lot of minorities would get behind. do i think JJ would pander to minorities? not necessarily but entirely possible. as said before it also avoids all the questions about heritage and whys and hows about her parents leaving her on Jakku. but in my head, im still going with the brother sister solo thing, simply down to preference and the potential material that could come with that. we could even be Red herring-ed into believing one thing before it being fully revealed in another movie? that could be interesting. this is no doubt going to be one of the bigger reveals or fan topics and one im quite sure the people behind the movie would guesstimate thinking the fans would be invested in it and queering back and forth the question the film could potentially ask us?

11. Knessa84

Knessa84 Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 21, 2014
    I don't think that's necessarily accurate. If you go by the Mizzlewump breakdown which was probably accurate, as of the second JJ/Kasdan draft Rey was Han and Leia's daughter. And I believe Arndt focused on the children whereas JJ/Kasdan wanted to focus more on the OT3 - where they sort of hand over the baton (lightsaber, the Falcon, etc..) to the new generation.

12. Cellblocker1138

Apr 26, 2015

Yeah, this is what I have been able to verify. I think people read this, heard the "who is Luke Skywalker?" story and conflated that to JJ made Rey a Skywalker. I don't want to presume this though which is why I ask for links. IF true this would be very strong evidence of Rey Skywalker, but again, haven't been able to find anything on it. I think the "Who is Luke Skywalker" question is the reason for the "search for Luke" angle. I have a feeling in Lucas' drafts involved Luke in a more Obi-wan/ANH role and the "who is Luke Skywalker" question KK posed to JJ made him want to go in a different direction and make Luke more of an enigma in the story.

Myself656 and Knessa84 like this.
  13. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002

Oh yeah JJ wanted the Big three more involved then Arndt's script (I read a couple rumors that in Ardnt's Han or perhaps even Luke dies in the opening scenes which triggers the whole movie into action) but it was also focus more on Solo kids. I think the evidence points to JJ changing that and making Rey Luke's daughter.
    There is other sources outside of the synopsis that was made using MSW spoilers that seem to point at Rey being Luke's daughter. I also think Random Rey does not work at all given how the movie plays out. Using the Bespin Saber as a macguffin holds no symbolism at all (which would completely go against the Lucas/Spielberg school of thinking where MacGuffins hold huge symbolic meaning that the audience really cares about and even can have mystical powers which is different then Hitchcock who thought MacGuffins were just a plot device to string the movie along but something the audience should not care about) while the ending which is essentially the search of Luke does not have any emotional payoff to say nothing of having any symbolic meaning. I mean it be would be a nice little ending if Rey meets Luke and the relationship of master/pupil begins but really, where is the payoff in that? Nothing really especially considering Han died getting the Bespin saber to Luke for nothing. But when you make Rey his daughter? It is a complete different ballgame. The whole symmetry of the movie and really the trilogy falls into place better if this is how it ends.

Cellblocker1138

Oh I agree that JJ wanted to give Like "layers" that simply were not there before. There is no question to that. But a great layer would be giving him a long lost daughter who spends the movie finding out who she is and it ending with her finally meeting him and gets the answers she was seeking. :D

I am in the same boat that I don't take any of this fact and will not on anything until it comes out. I just try to gather up everything and look at it objectively which is why again the signs point to her being Luke's daughter. Obviously it can play out differently since I freely admit I was in the "Rey is the good Solo kid" camp (with Kylo obviously being the evil Solo kid) since the moment the official casting was announced back in April 2014 and honestly stayed in that camp until a couple weeks ago where I started to think it made more sense she was Luke's kid. So who knows what I will think come December 17th...for all I know I could think she could be my kid (which means I would father her when I finishing 8th grade) LOL!

Big Boss likes this.
  14. Knessa84

Aug 21, 2014
    Again, that's not accurate. Some sources reported that Arndt's script allegedly focused on the next generation....BOTH Solos and Skywalkers, the children of Luke, Leia and Han. http://io9.com/michael-arndts-scrapped-star-wars-story-was-about-luke-1499732754 Regardless, it's all rumors anyway. I think you are implying that JJ's problem was with the fact that the kids were Solo's when (1) no source has reported that; and (2) the issue was that JJ wanted the new generation in peripheral roles to give more of a story to the OT3, nothing to do who the kids were or their parents were.

Compare that to JJ's second draft which supposedly had Rey as a Solo and Luke with no known offspring. Granted, that may have changed but if JJ had a problem with Solo kids, I doubt he and Kasdan would write the second draft in that manner. JJ's motivation was not to take any focus off of Solo kids but the kids (the next generation) in general to give more of a story to the OT3. For example, much of Poe's story was given to Han in JJ's script. Poe is not a Solo yet the focus changed.

15. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    not that hard to find the Latino Review story saying the focus went from Solo to something, same article that brought up Gugu for VIII.

http://www.latino-review.com/news/star-wars-skywalker-kids-and-a-new-episode-viii-actress

and the original story written the same month as JJ finished writing the script back in January 2014
    http://www.latino-review.com/news/2014/01/the-4-most-important-star-wars-stories-of-the-year-so-far

granted the beefed up Hamill stuff seems inaccurate but still interesting given that JJ said what made him take the job was who is Luke Skywalker? a year and 8 months after this article was posted. What better way than if the focus was on Luke's kid.:p

I don't get the fixation on MW, plenty of what MW said seems inaccurate and 2nd draft plenty can change from then to the final draft, same thing with the Latino Review post. In general, most rumors for as long as ever all went towards Female Solo but is that really the case when nobody seems to be able to zoom in on the right answer. Since there are rumors of her being both Solo and Skywalker (also adding the Yoda2) and even unrelated when MSW says his sources say she's unrelated to everyone. Also doesn't help that based on rumors none of the 3 options have been eliminated, so we are basically nowhere but a never ending loop.:p

ChildOfWinds and Big Boss like this.
  16. Knessa84

Aug 21, 2014
    But Latino Review? Come on. The Hamill part alone disqualifies their source as well as their reputation for being wrong. As far as Mizzlewump, his spoilers go back to March of 2014. And for being that early and the only one reporting those details at the time, those spoilers ended up being fairly accurate. You can see how that draft morphed into what we will see. Does it mean Rey is still a Solo? No. But it definitely shows that JJ/Kasdan did not have an issue in the transition from Arndt with the focus on Solo kid(s) v. Skywalker.

Myself656 likes this.
  17. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    The thing is though, if JJ wanted to give more screen time to the OT three, he didn't do that. Giving the OT 3 more screen time didn't happen, except for Han. Luke certainly didn't get more screentime. He's pretty much a cameo, hardly in the film at all, and Leia doesn't seem to play a very large role either. So, I guess JJ just wanted to make Han a lead?

Luke02 likes this.
  18. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    not really plenty of MW doesn't fit the MSW's stuff and so what if it's Latino Review (they just yesterday potential got a VIII casting right), a rumor is a rumor let's not forget around the same time the rumors everywhere was that JJ wanted more of the Big 3 that even appeared in the Trades like THR, that seemed to have been inaccurate does that mean the rest of the story is wrong maybe not. Also as posted above the story about the shift to Skywalker was written on Jan 2014 same month JJ finished the script and MW dumped his stuff in March (from stuff that came from when summer 2013????) who is right and who is wrong? Like I said there is nothing in any rumors that really tips to one side.

19. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Just go back and read the Mizzlewump stuff. It's really not all that. Obviously a huge amount changed between his 'second draft' and the finished article.

20. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013

Yup, that happens all the time when it comes to screenwriting. Big things change; characters' genders, their statuses as a wife or sister to another character, or even how they'll approach a key theme in mind.

starocean90 and CrazyOldJedi like this.
  21. Cellblocker1138

Apr 26, 2015
    Plemons is a done deal? Perhaps he is the elusive Mrs. Skywalker kept so well hidden all this time....:p

So much of that report is wrong and so much of MZW has panned out...I dunno...we shall see

22. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    except those are 4 different stories all separate in one article, them being right or wrong is all separate from each other. :)

23. Cellblocker1138

Apr 26, 2015
    Thanks for the links btw!

Still the Luke's role being beefed up is in the same part of that story and we have good reason to think that's bunk now...I dunno...I just can't see Rey Skywalker with no Mrs. Skywalker anywhere to speak of...[face_dunno]

24. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    again as posted above it was around the same time the rumor that JJ wanted to focus on the OT3 popped up even on the trades, which fits bigger role for Hamill doesn't mean the rumor about the shift is wrong. Either way everything we have is all rumors and we've had rumors for all 3 for Rey, unrelated, Solo, Skywalker and in the MSW rumors all 3 options fit.:p

25. Knessa84

Aug 21, 2014
    They refer to "our source" under that one section which includes the discussion of the Arndt v. Abrams script and Hamill filming for six months. So presumably all that information came from the same person. Who was inevitably wrong. If the script was finished as the time of this article, saying Hamill is playing a huge role that may entail 6 months of filming is a HUGE error. Could not be more wrong.

Myself656 and Dra--- like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.