main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Daisy Ridley (Rey) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Voider, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZY-Fighter

ZY-Fighter Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 1, 2017
    Rey was great in the movie. A big part of me feels that she isn't Random though...I can't help but think it's a trick, then again...

2. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    I see zero evidence of Reylo in this movie. I've absolutely no idea where that's coming from TBH...

3. Tyrian

Tyrian Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 5, 2000

Theres for sure enough ambiguity in the film for JJ to make her Rey Somebody in 9 if he wants. Could (plausibly) just be explained as Snoke / Kylo throwing misdirects her way to toy with her emotions.

Darkspellmaster and ZY-Fighter like this.
  4. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    Precisely this. I personally think Random works better at this stage (though my thoughts on the matter are somewhat in flux), but I can absolutely see (based on this film) how she and Kylo can be siblings. Rian has definitely left that door open.

5. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I don't. I like the idea of Rey not having any special heritage. The Skywalkers had that. Maybe it takes a "nobody" to finally bring the Jedi back (or whatever kind of Force wielding order develops)

Yora, hermiona52 and Raz Zaphon like this.
  6. Jacques who

Jacques who Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 18, 2017
    I still have concerns, too, but my biggest fear was put to rest for this film. I don’t blame you for waiting until it all plays out either. I would be more worried about IX, but I like what JJ did with these new characters so much I’m hopeful. If it was still CT I’d probably bail right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Darth Imbecillis

Darth Imbecillis Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2016

I actually felt that scene, when he said something in the vein of "you have no role in this story" (can't remember the exact words), was intended as something of a "gotcha!" to the audience.

But I found the film tone-deaf in many ways.

8. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015

by then, after 5 plus years of speculation? who would even care.

9. Raz Zaphon

Raz Zaphon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2000

1. Fair point. I apologize, I'm being an ass. But I personally never meant to imply that it was simple minded. For me it's about moral instruction.
    2. He writes music, not stories. His opinion there is as good as any fans.
    3. The symbolism was all about her being the archtype. It was meant to demnostate that she's the new Luke, not literally Luke.

10. Miras-Etrin

Miras-Etrin Jedi Master star 2

Jan 23, 2013
    Sorry for to bringing another video to the forum, but:

There you have it. The Sequel trilogy! It makes Spaceballs jokes into serious stuff!

Raz Zaphon likes this.
  11. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    The problem is that Rey was so mindnumbingly generic and uninteresting by the end of TFA that her lineage was the only thing left about her that was even remotely interesting.

MS1 likes this.
  12. Darth Imbecillis

Darth Imbecillis Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2016

Have you actually seen the film?

I don't know how anyone can watch TLJ and still deny Reylo, when Rey's arc in the film is pretty much all Reylo. But I'm sure people will deny it nonetheless. Glad I'm done arguing about it.

13. zam wesell2005

zam wesell2005 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 23, 2015
    To show you you can come from nobody alcoholic parents and be stronger than somebody who is the grandson of a character conceived by the force? Problem is, what is she overcoming in the end, if she is that strong?

Shadao and Blastaar like this.
  14. Darkspellmaster

Darkspellmaster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    But we already have several no bodies in the film. You have Finn who could very well be Force Senstive, we don't know for a fact he is not. You have the new kid, and heck, if you go back to the original story the Skywalkers are not some great power or anything in the first place. Leia was adopted. She's really the daughter of a Slave, she's the only one of the first Trio that was "Somebody" in the Celebrity sense. Rey being a Skywalker wouldn't change the idea of her not having a special heritage. It just would mean that she's the daughter of one of the mains.

Having her be a drunks daughter, great and fine, but that doesn't help at all in telling her story. We've seen in the EU about the whole coming from humble beginnings. Luke was that, so was Anakin. We've yet to have a heritage story though. Remember a lot of this is taken from Japanese film, and several "I want to be some one" films as well. Gunga din was all about being granted a post of power after death, The Outlaw samurai builds on the idea of someone being great as a noble as well. It's not really that bad an idea to have that. There's nothing wrong in showing someone that is a good person can come from a noble house as well.

OriForce, Eternal_Jedi and Shadao like this.
  15. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    Either way, Rey was a boring character and from what I've heard of her here, she's still pretty goddamn dull.

16. hermiona52

hermiona52 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 20, 2017
    So, what do you think about scene, when Rey went to that Dark Side domain on Ach-Too? With that mirror? Could that have some special meaning?

17. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    People are acting like Rey's parentage is settled, I don't think so at all. We only heard Kylo tell her about it. And we know what kind of person he is.

18. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    Daisy said The Last Jedi will reveal about her family but it will open more questions. I think it's too late to reveal she is related, especially when Han, Luke (and probably Leia in IX) are dead. They had two movies to reveal it

19. Eternal_Jedi

Eternal_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 12, 2001
    Apology accepted. :) If it was just your post in isolation, I probably wouldn't have said anything. Sorry it had to be yours that pushed my buttons.

I think it's difficult for moral instruction to not come across as condescending, especially when it's directed at your peers.

Sure, he writes music, but his scores have always suggested an understanding of the films' stories beyond just the surface level. It was mostly meant to illustrate that even someone who worked on a critical aspect of the film and who had many discussions with the director (even if not about that particular issue) thought the same thing. Easy to come off as an appeal to authority, although I didn't intend it that way.

I don't think it had to be as on-the-nose if that's what they wanted to communicate. To me it went overboard in suggesting that there was something more significant. And now when looking back at TFA, I see a number of things that now just feel empty and pointless, their only purpose to set up a "Surprise! It really is nothing meaningful to you, the viewer!" moment. If they're also trying to add a "I hope you learned something!" lesson on top of it, that's just rubbing salt in the wound and would be welcomed by no one.

I originally wrote way more here, but I don't think you want to get into a lengthy discussion about it, so I removed it. I will say that one of the biggest sore points for me is still the scene where Maz and Rey speak after her vision. And I think that's going to be a sticking point for many.

Maz could have just told Rey "that lightsaber belonged to Luke, and now it calls to you" and left out "and his father before him." Even without all the visual connections, similar traits, etc, that bit with the lightsaber would be enough to get a lot of fans speculating that this clearly Force-sensitive character with no last name and an ambiguous backstory could be a long-lost Skywalker child. There is absolutely no reason for Rey to care that the lightsaber was passed down to Luke from his father; I see no purpose to include that bit of dialogue other than to suggest that the lightsaber being passed down from Anakin to Luke to Rey actually meant something. If they didn't want to mislead viewers, they could have had Maz in possession of Luke's green saber and it would have served the exact same purpose in the story.

Anyway, I think the key assumption that I was making that steered me wrong was that the ST films were being made as a more natural extension of Episodes I-VI; while they may not be using Lucas' story treatments, they kept many of his ideas and it looked to me like Abrams was making use of the same visual/thematic rhyming and parallels that Lucas was so fond of (and I really enjoy examining that aspect of the films). The existence of a parallel series of "anthology" films -- where directors would have more freedom to be experimental and break free from established Star Wars structure and conventions -- only reinforced this impression. This assumption led me to read meaning into a lot of things where there wasn't any such meaning, and combined with any intentional misdirection on their part, I was pretty convinced that I had it right (although not absolutely certain). Of course I was disappointed that I was wrong; not simply on Rey Skywalker, but about the ST sticking with more of Lucas' established conventions.

20. Eugene3

Eugene3 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2017
    For you maybe, for me she was the best of TFA and became easily my fave character of the franchise, she made me return to the SW fandom, now after what Rian has done I think I'm going to leave the fandom again.
    And I find kinda funny that you call Rey boring when the most popular characters are the most boring of all (Luke, Obi Wan).

ReyPrescott likes this.
  21. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    That's pretty sad.

However, unlike Rey, those two weren't constructed for the purpose of being speculation fodder. There's nothing about Rey that makes her all that interesting as a character. In comparison to Finn, for example, she becomes more and more bland as the story goes on while Finn feels increasingly wasted in the role he ended up in.

Shadao likes this.
  22. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015
    at this point, i don't even care. RJ torched the whole narrative anyways. What, they're gonna keep everyone guessing for two more years? Nah. Who really cares at this point.

23. Eternal_Jedi

Eternal_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 12, 2001
    We also have a separate series of "A Star Wars Story" films, which more or less exist for the purpose of telling stories about "nobodies."

24. Eugene3

Eugene3 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2017

lol maybe I'm weird but the last thing that interested me about Rey was her lineage, but I've always been more interested in her journey, that's why I was always so frustrated with Rian and his interviews, he never talked about her and now I know why, she had nothing planned for her apart from being a plot device for Kylo, which I find very sad.

In the last two years some of my favorite characters have been trashed, I should stop invest emotionally on fictional characters.[face_sigh]

25. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    I'm sure there's some Jungian subtext there somewhere, however ... lets see ... she goes up and pleads to be shown her parents/ her heritage .. and she sees .. herself. AT one point, I seriously wondered if it meant that she was either a clone or another Chosen One ..

Broom boy, another force sensitive "nobody" seemed to cement Rey Random for me .. she has her tribe of non-Skywalkers waiting to be trained, I suppose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.