main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Daisy Ridley (Rey) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Voider, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raz Zaphon

Raz Zaphon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2000

This is what's amazing to me about the whole debate around Rey's lineage. We all saw the exact same scene but have radically different interpretations of it. Where you and many others fixated on the pattern of the lightsaber being passed from father to son and then calling to Rey, others fixated on another bit of dialogue:

Of course this was further misinterpreted as meaning that her family is ahead of her and her family is Luke. But come on, that wasn't the intention of that dialogue. We know that for sure now. I felt this scene is what motivated Ridley's stance on the issue:

It's a bit of dialogue that's perfectly consistent with what Kylo tells her, that deep down she knows the truth. She's Rey Random. But JJ just loves a mystery box and Rian had to use all that energy that surrounded the mystery to really drive the point home. There was a lot of fanfare around it in TLJ. The reveal was fully hyped up, there was nothing understated about it being a big reveal of the mystery of her parentage.

That's why I just love it. She's not special. That's why she's amazing. She's just like Luke Skywalker without needing to be born into it. It's beautiful.

hermiona52, cerealbox and Ruffmeian like this.
  2. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I was a firm believer that she was a Random from that dialogue you just posted. I believed that right after I saw TFA.

3. Yora

Yora Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 17, 2016
    I posted this, in another thread but maybe it would be interesting to post it there too. I don't know if it was planned since TFA or if this is an answer to the "Mary Sue" criticism but we learn in TLJ why Rey is so powerful.
    Basically : “Darkness rises and light to meet it” say Snoke. He's the one who answer this question in the movie.
    Rey's strength is a parallel of Kylo Ren's strenght. The Force needed balance. So to counterbalance Kylo’s darkness, the Force needed an equivalent in the Light. This equivalent is Rey (Snoke believed it was Luke at first).
    That’s why they both have the same “raw, untamed, power”. That’s why Rey is so powerful and beaten Kylo because she is his exact mirror. This also explains why the Skywalker lightsaber broke in two when they both tried to grab it.

Raz Zaphon likes this.
  4. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    Anyone else happy that
    Rey finally gets to meet Poe, ending the massive plot hole going into IX?

Eugene3, ZY-Fighter, Jazz9276 and 2 others like this.
  5. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    You're done arguing with it and yet you decided to have a go at me nonetheless.

In any relationship you need mutual attraction. If you're seeing Rey attracted physically to Kylo then I'm afraid I can't help you. She would have to be the dumbest protagonist in the history of dumb protagonists.

6. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I actually like this. It makes it easier for her to move on, as well. This is one of the few positive things Kylo communicated to Rey.

7. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015

that scene always annoyed me because the dialogue was so unnatural and purposefully vague. "whom ever left you on jakku". Yeah why not just say, "your family is never coming back"? I get how people like that rey isn't special, but looking at TFA, her not being special, makes her a total mary sue. I was talking to my mother this afternoon about all of this and even she was like "how did she fly the falcon so well?". Its like RJ ignored everything that came before. You wanna make her random, fine, but if you did that then how would the established narrative be viewed? Why did you create a whole character to serve as her red herring? Why did she tell bb8 "classified really...me too, big secret.", in her first scene with dialog? How did she mind trick a trooper? How did she beat a skywalker 5 hours after learning about the existence of the force? Bad mary sue character. At this point I expect han solo to just show up flying the falcon at the beginning of IX, only to be followed by luke and mara jade sitting around having corrilian sunrises with leia.

Eternal_Jedi likes this.
  8. littlepadawan91

littlepadawan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2016
    I can totally see now why Daisy kept saying that Rey isn’t the main character. I thought she was just being humble.

But she’s really not. Poe felt more like a protagonist than she did.

CairnsTony likes this.
  9. Chewies_bandolier

May 5, 2002
    Woah. She really said that?? I'm looking at the teaser poster now and tbh, Rian spelled out the plot dynamics for all of us there .. huge Kylo/Ben and Luke with tiny Rey in the middle.

Also:
    How did she get off the big FO ship after it was attacked?? Did she get back to the Falcon? questions.. questions..

Jacques who likes this.
  10. Amdrag

Amdrag Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 26, 2008
    Which is why when she finds out she is actually a Skywalker in 9, she doesn't need it. ;)

Question though. How exactly does she find out? What exactly happens?

11. Raz Zaphon

Raz Zaphon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2000

It's awesome. So leading up to it before the battle with Snoke and his guards, Kylo basically teases her about it, being all like "I know who your paaaaaareeeeeeennts aaaaaareee, do you want me to tell you? I could totally tell you ;)"

Then after the fight he basically goes "Ok, I'll tell you who your parents are now, ok? Are you ready? Ok let's go. So the big deal about your parents is that they're literally nobodies. Like actually worse than nobodies. They're drug addicts that sold you to a junker for cash. Your family means zilch in the wider saga here, so stop thinking about it".

I know this sounds like hyperbole but it's actually pretty close to what the dialogue literally was.

The only way it could have been more in your face is if Kylo Ren looked strait through the 4th wall and said 'Hey, Rey Skywalker camp? EEAAAT IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTT"

Miras-Etrin likes this.
  12. Darth Krayt

Darth Krayt Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 13, 2015
    I think it can most certainly go both ways here. The film shows us that anyone could be force sensitives (the slave boy in Canto Bight), so suddenly Rey being so powerful isnt so strange. At the same time though, the way Kylo Ren reveals it to Rey felt strange to me. I mean, he is a proven liar, he would say anything to try to manpulate her. I think they want us to forget about the whole thing, then hit us with a twist in EP9.

13. dogprivilege

dogprivilege Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    I believed in Rey random, though I thought they would have had at least some significance to the plot. In light of this, they shouldn't have let the hype around her parents reach the heights it did.

BUT in the moment, the reveal felt so right. It was a powerful scene, and almost meta in a sense. It was the most clear declaration of the film's themes - rejecting the past, the idea that there are ways things "should" be, and forging your own destiny. yada yada. Rey and Kylo both learn that nothing "matters" except the choices they are making, right then and now, which is a cool arc for their characters amidst a franchise with such an expansive legacy and with a plot based a lot on bloodlines.

Yora and Othini like this.
  14. Amdrag

Amdrag Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 26, 2008
    So seriously, Kylo tells her, and that is it? So beyond potentially lying, he might not actually know? I am not even saying it isn't true, but that is a lot of wiggle room. Interpreting visions from the Force, not exactly something Skywalkers do all that well. ;)

15. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Nah. After Maz telling her this in TFA, and Kylo telling her this in more detail.

I think the point is that Rey has always known this. She knows who her parents were.

There was no grand reveal to the audience, because it isn't a reveal at all to Rey.

She's always known this, she just hasn't openly admitted it.

16. Chewies_bandolier

May 5, 2002
    Two more things:
    Firslty - When does Rey learn how to swim? Does Jakku have pools? Does the Force also let you not drown? Secondly - Rey's now got Anakin's kyber crystal (we see it clearly in the stump of the sabre she has on the Falcon) but eh.. does she know how to construct one? Did she really knick the Jedi DIY instruction course from the tree??

cerealbox likes this.
  17. RyanForder

RyanForder Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 3, 2014

It look's like she did have the books on the Falcon at the end. She may go back to the island to construct her saber too, we have no definitive answer to where Luke's green saber is either so it may be in hit hut.

18. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    we all know why

cerealbox likes this.
  19. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Yep

T-R- likes this.
  20. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015

[​IMG]

Chewies_bandolier likes this.
  21. Jedi Dragon D

Jedi Dragon D Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    I don't want to know any Spoilers, but is Rey a Skywalker? I guess on this, I don't care to know, as it's always something predictable if it's the case, anyways.

If you have seen this movie already, please let me know by only "Yes/No/Complicated/Not revealed" Really unnecessary for a detailed answer!

22. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Not exactly. Besides....

[​IMG]

Darth Smurf likes this.
  23. Chewies_bandolier

May 5, 2002
    no. she's a random - discarded offspring of alcoholic dead junk dealers on Jakku who sold her to Unkar Platt to pay a debt

24. Jedi Dragon D

Jedi Dragon D Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    LOL, is that legit? I didn't really need a detailed answer, but thanks!

25. Eugene3

Eugene3 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2017
    There was a pond in Jakku (which Finn drink in), therefore there was water somewhere, lol I doubt Rey has not showered in her life.
    Do we even know what's in the books?Anyways the most probably is that Luke will appear in ep IX like force ghost or whatever new thing they will plan, probably Luke will continue instructing/guide Rey. They have brought Yoda back so...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.