main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Daisy Ridley (Rey) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Voider, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Sadly, I didn't see any new sides to Rey's character in TLJ that we didn't see in TFA. Yes, she briefly moved from "Kylo is a monster" to "I can turn Kylo good again" but that really came out of nowhere and felt like a plot devise just to get Rey arguing with Luke and off the island. Disappointing.

2. carte blanche

carte blanche Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 14, 2017
    Also what the heck is up with this randomly inserted idea that Rey wanted her parents to be “special” people? That was never ever established before. In TFA, Rey’s only desire is to just reunite with her family no matter who they are. It’s not like she spent all of TFA hoping she was Han Solos’s daughter or Luke Skywalker’s daughter. That line in TLJ was clearly directed at the audience lol. Good to know how little you think of us, Rian!

Hypatia and Ren Kylo like this.
  3. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/tr...-and-john-boyega-on-star-wars-the-last-jedi#/

https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/features/star-wars-the-last-jedi-14-things-we-learned-w513392

Translation: Thank god that guy is gone.

Jazz9276 and prlrocks like this.
  4. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Yeah TFA simply stated that Rey wanted her parents to come back for her. She never said or even implied that she believed or wanted them to be anyone "special."

It was Rian trying to be cutely "meta," and in the context of the film it made no sense.

But that's the thing about this movie, there's a lot of "well that's a thing now, regardless of if it actually makes sense or was set up before or not, because this plot cannot work without it."

Hypatia and ReyPrescott like this.
  5. RDeckard

RDeckard Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    Up until now, the worst complaint I had heard about Rey is regarding her force abilities. She is the most force sensitive person in the canon going back to Anakin Skywalker. She is generally pure in her intentions, so it would make sense that her powers would be the easiest to develop (Luke was generally fearless to the point of vanity and overambitious while Anakin was too fearful and too headstrong). This complaint, that she has no Skywalker blood, is by far the worst single complaint I have read. The films make this clear: The force is a universal tool to which many are sensitive. Whether it be the younglings in Episode III, the kid in the stalls in Episode VIII, or the amateur in Rogue One, the force has always been a very democratic, not monarchical entity.

The fact that Rey isn't a relative of the Skywalkers is perfect. It's probably the single best decision Johnson made in this film. It justifies the existence of so many other stories and illustrates to true nature of the force.

hermiona52 and MaciekRS like this.
  6. Ruffmeian

Ruffmeian Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2015
    Good for you

7. MagnarTheGreat

Jul 21, 2016
    Who needs Rey when you can have Broom Boy? Broom Boy should be the Force protagonist. I kid, I kid.

And if people want a non-Skywalker, that's Jyn Erso in Rogue One - who still gets an emotional family story. Because non-Skywalkers deserve better stories.

Jazz9276 and Jaina_Snoke like this.
  8. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Rey should train a grown up broom boy in a post-ST setting.

He still carries around a broom, for sentimental purposes, while also having the skill to use it in combat. With his training improved because of older Rey's help, he can use the broom as a weapon with the force. Moving it with the force to attack people.

He also becomes the 1st Jedi to create a broomsaber. Bottom of the lightsaber can pop out into a broom. Not only can he slice men up, but he can clean quite well with his saber.

For some reason he also has the innate skill of spinning his broom, really helping him in tricky situations.

9. anabanana_kenobi

anabanana_kenobi Jedi Knight

May 16, 2016
    Since a lot of people think Kylo was lying to Rey about her parents, here's a new interview with Rian Johnson where he says that is not the intent. However, the door has been left open for another explanation, depending on what JJ wants to do. They're truly making it up as they go along, so don't get too attached to your theory (like John Williams, who thought Rey was Luke's daughter and scored TFA accordingly). Sigh.

https://www.bustle.com/p/did-kylo-r...ore-answered-by-director-rian-johnson-7616482

10. mirrorbright

mirrorbright Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 14, 2016
    I had no problem with Rey having all those abilities AND being unrelated. I don't think she has to be a Skywalker/Solo to be as powerful or even more. But anyway, this aspect of the story wasn't important to me when i watched TLJ.

What concerned me the most were her actions and what motivated them. TFA!Rey and TLJ!Rey felt like two different characters. I couldn't understand her initial desire to save a guy who 1) tortured her, 2) killed her father figure, 3) injured her friend. Because she ... felt ...good in him? Why should she care? I understand why Leia, his mother, wanted him saved. But not Rey... I'm glad she was able to see the truth by the end, but it bothered me how much of her story in this movie focused on Kylo and their relationship.

And also, I'm going to be honest and say this: yes, it is possible he lied to her about her parents (the entire conversation was emotionally abusive and really manipulative). But I'd rather have this be true then wait another two years for some possible reveal. They said TLJ will give us answers and, that being said, I hope this is it. Even though I am not happy, but enough is enough... honestly.

11. Jaina_Snoke

Jaina_Snoke Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2015
    This idea of a democratisation of the Force by TPTB and some fans is absolutely fabricated and blown out of proportion in order to justify questionable creative choices made in TLJ. Star Wars never, ever implied that the Force had to do with a certain lineage. I mean, potentially anyone can be blessed with Force sensitivity, just because a family has passed the power onto their next generations, it doesn't mean that a family of junkies can bring up a Force-sensitive member that logically starts a lineage of their own. Had it been that way, only the Skywalkers could have been Jedis. It doesn't get anymore complicated than that. If you want to be more precise you can draw distinctions in Harry Potter-fashion with mudbloods and pure bloods wizards and witches but that's about it.

However, this doesn't detract from the concept of the Chosen One, the most powerful Force-sensitive being of them all. Having Anakin and his children, it does make perfect sense that, in order to explain Rey's special affinity with the Force, she is presented as a descendant of Anakin. This rationale is also featured in Dragon Ball with Goku and Gohan, so why questioning the role of the Skywalker family in this whole fictional universe when Disney itself has marked Anakin's birth as the beginning of it, scratching 20,000 years of previous galactic history?

Star Wars is a space opera with the tragedy of a family that covers 8 episodic films so far. Simply, end the Episodes series in a high note if you want to dwell into other Force-sentitive or regular characters and eras of the galaxy. That is what the Anthology and next trologies are for, isn't that?

12. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    Rey's parents are said to be scavengers but if there is any truth left in her TFA Force Vision, they at least had enough money for a functioning star ship. :confused:

13. Jaina_Snoke

Jaina_Snoke Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2015
    Call it what you want but this is a negligent way to approach a saga... A missed opportunity to have a cohesive view on things. It might not be a perfect film, but compared to this, it is a relief Patty Jenkins will also direct Wonder Woman's sequel.

14. Jedi Dragon D

Jedi Dragon D Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Man, hell NO she wasn't a nobody! I refuse to believe that, the setup of TFA and this movie both seem to deepen the MYSTERY of Rey's origins. With such mystery effort put in, it would be considered GARBAGE storytelling to say she is a nobody!

Jaina_Snoke likes this.
  15. Jazz9276

Jazz9276 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 19, 2016
    First, shame on me for letting certain comments color mine before seeing the film. While I didn’t love it, it wasn’t as bad as I feared.

Second, it doesn’t take a genius to understand why Daisy is happy JJ is back. That doesn’t mean she hates Rian or didn’t enjoy working with him. I think we’ve all been involved in group projects at school/work and there’s some we enjoy working with more than others. Whatever happens in 9 I’m happy for Daisy being able to finish what she started with JJ.

16. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    And it's the family aspect that kept me invested this whole time, not the "look and feel of the OT" that TPTB seem to put the most focus on (I don't speak for everyone, obviously). I hoped and expected to see the next generation of (non-psychotic) Skywalkers ever since the "bringing the Skywalker saga to it's conclusion" announcement. Now, that won't happen. At least, they should have made it very clear from the get-go.

17. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    https://www.rollingstone.com/movies...story-on-the-dark-new-star-wars-movie-w512703
    “I wasn’t given any directive as to what that had to be. I was never given the information that she is this or she is that.” -Rian Johnson
    "I thought what I was told in the beginning is what it is." -Daisy Ridley

http://ew.com/movies/2017/12/16/the-last-jedi-spoiler-rey-parents/2/

There was no established origin that Johnson inherited when he signed on to the movie. He was free to resolve it as he liked.

“I was thinking, what’s the most powerful answer to that question? Powerful meaning: what’s the hardest thing that Rey could hear? That’s what you’re after with challenging your characters,” Johnson said.
    “I think back to the ‘I am your father’ moment with Vader and Luke, and the reason I think that lands is not because it’s a surprise or a twist but because it’s the hardest thing Luke and thus the audience could hear at that moment,” he added. “It turns someone into a bad guy that you just hate and want to kill into suddenly, Oh my God, this is a part of our protagonist. We have to start thinking of this person in more complex terms. We need to start thinking in terms of a redemption arc.”
    “In our movie, it’s kind of the opposite,” Johnsons said. “The easiest thing for Rey and the audience to hear is, Oh yeah, you’re so-and-so’s daughter. That would be wish fulfillment and instantly hand her a place in this story on a silver platter.”
    “The hardest thing for her is to hear she’s not going to get that easy answer. Not only that, but Kylo is going to use the fact that you don’t get that answer to try and weaken you so you have to lean on him,” Johnson says. “You’re going to have to find the strength to stand on your own two feet and define yourself in this story.”

CEB likes this.
  18. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    I think they already lost the opportunity to make her Solo or Skywalker (and her scenes with Kylo... er... I'm happy she said "no" to him) but maybe her parents isn't dead

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  19. Mendoza

Mendoza Jedi Knight

Oct 22, 2015
    I'll throw in my two cents.

You only have a limited amount of options with Rey. She's either Ben's sister, cousin, she's someone else (important)'s daughter or she's a nobody. I like that she's a nobody. Not everyone is a legacy child. It also makes Ben and Rey's connection more mystical (or Force related if you want, as Snoke lays out).

Then we get into to what I find very compelling: Rey's own trauma. Children who go through abuse can twist memories, suppress things in order to cope in an unhealthy way. Rey messing up her own memories strikes a big cord with me instead of some important parental figure doing it for her own good.

(I would hate the idea that Han and Leia did all this to her to hide her away. I don't see Han doing something like that, messing with a child's mind.)

It is tragic and in some way mirrors what Ben went through as well with Luke, which would explain why she was eager to try to help him once she found out about his past.

I found her disappointment at Ben's offer after she thought he had turned to the light to be quite moving. You want to think people who've gone through similar hardship and pain would/could/want to move forward together towards a better tomorrow to break the cycle, but that's not always the case. Ben thinks everything from before has to be destroyed in order for him to be his own man. Rey can't be apart of that.

Also, the scene in the cave/lake/mirror was amazing in my opinion. She's looking for answers and in the end, its herself she sees. She's faced up to herself and now its time to move forward. I think that's pretty powerful stuff in my book and really fleshes her out.

At the end it looks like she's closing the door on trying to redeem Ben, but I still think about her vision. She did see something better for him. I wonder if that's still possible. There's still a lot of ways to go with these two characters and I'm excited to see what JJ does in the next movie.

Ruffmeian and SateleNovelist11 like this.
  20. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    She's adorable. "It was a long *****ing play."

Jazz9276 and Ruffmeian like this.
  21. Ruffmeian

Dec 19, 2015
    I think it’s still possible- but it really depends on your moral ground. I think they saw the same vision. Ben obviously thinks it’s not possible for him to turn, so he assumed it was her.

22. Ruffmeian

Dec 19, 2015
    “I didn’t know how to call America”

She’s so relatable!

23. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I agree. Ben/Kylo is damaged, and what he perceived says more about him than her.

I'm just glad that Snoke did not give Rey brain damage with that lightsaber hilt. He was one frightening bastard.

24. MagnarTheGreat

Jul 21, 2016
    They could have just made Finn force sensitive as well. 'Problem' solved.

25. Ruffmeian

Dec 19, 2015
    I can’t tell if you’re being facetious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.