main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Daisy Ridley (Rey) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Voider, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Dp.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  2. TheAnonJedi

TheAnonJedi Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 12, 2017
    You’re on a Star Wars forum, nobody is looking at this as a standalone movie with no baggage from their childhood or the forty years this franchise has went on.

Shadao likes this.
  3. Shadao

Shadao Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2017
    Some mysteries are obvious from the start (looking at Palpatine/Sidious) while others rely on twists with no warning. And some don't require answers.

But there's a reason I don't like mystery boxes especially if they didn't bother to give an answer to the mystery. You always risk making the answer underwhelming or going in the wrong way.

Personally, I dislike the film for far greater reasons than Rey's heritage. I didn't care about Rey's heritage because it was wasting my time (not helped by Kylo Ren overemphasis). And I didn't have any theories about Snoke, but was still heavily pissed off they killed him off with no backstory of how he corrupted Ben. And I had many reservations regarding to TFA that only grew worse in TLJ.

4. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Goal posts sir, goal posts.

Satipo likes this.
  5. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Agreed. It was always possible they were subverting expectations.

DarthPhilosopher likes this.
  6. Shadao

Oct 31, 2017
    This is getting out of hand.

Going back to Rey, I wonder if she would adopt the name Skywalker for herself (And no, no marriage to Kylo Ren please). It's one of those theories to justify Rey's Skywalkerness while also making Rey a random girl.

7. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    This simply isn't the topic. Why are we not discussing what we originally were?

8. TheAnonJedi

Dec 12, 2017
    So if I don’t like something I should just keep my mouth shut? Hopefully I’m misinterpreting you.

Shadao likes this.
  9. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    BTW, while not everyone likes it, that subversion is one of the most highly praised choices in the film. I don’t think that’s a significant part of the backlash at all. Luke? Sure. Rey Nobody? Only the overly invested are significantly bummed on that front and that was always going to happen if they didn’t get what they wanted. Always.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yora likes this.
  10. Shadao

Oct 31, 2017
    Just to point out that even without overhyped expectations, I still don't like this movie.

And quite frankly, this is getting too personal.

Going back, let me restate:

Should Rey adopt the name Skywalker? Or should she not?

11. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    I'm saying if you don't like want to be disappointed by the films don't invest in your speculation, especially when that speculation is based upon articles, etc.

If the movie was misleading you on purpose I wouldn't agree. But I don't think it was, and I just think you invested too much.

I follow this advice myself.

12. TheAnonJedi

Dec 12, 2017
    Just cause you didn’t see the goal post doesn’t mean it wasn’t there, the people on this forum are not the average movie critic which is what I think you were calling for?

13. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011

No you were saying the movie mislead you. And then shifted it to the articles around the movie mislead you.

That's shifting the goal posts.

14. TheAnonJedi

Dec 12, 2017
    I didn’t get any thing from articles, I got those hints heavily on first viewing and so did many people I’ve talked to. I was simply using the articles as a point that people did get those hints from the film and you can’t act like they weren’t there.

Shadao likes this.
  15. Shadao

Oct 31, 2017
    And here, my question is ignored...

Personally, I would have Rey adopt the name Skywalker... once she and Luke can have a proper father-daughter relationship.

MrElculver2424 likes this.
  16. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    I can act like they weren't there because I don't think the were.

I think people had confirmation bias... Collective confirmation bias if you will.

17. Shadao

Oct 31, 2017
    Confirmation bias or not, one should not condemn people with confirmation bias if they don't agree with your confirmation bias.

Anyways, should Rey adopt the name Skywalker?

18. TheAnonJedi

Dec 12, 2017
    At this point I guess you could have her adopt the name and keep it going but like you’ve mentioned earlier they really didn’t hammer that father-daughter relationship home so I don’t know, maybe if we get more Luke through force ghost in 9 It’d make sense.

Yora and Shadao like this.
  19. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    How am I condemning you? I just disagree.

[face_peace]

20. Shadao

Oct 31, 2017
    The mere mentioning of confirmation bias is bound to draw controversy. It implies that somehow, people's expectations and impressions are objectively wrong and thus the film doesn't get any of the blame when the backlash ensues.

But that's something else entirely. I would really like discussion about Rey adopting the Skywalker surname since clearly she doesn't have one to begin with.

TheAnonJedi likes this.
  21. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    As pointed out already, no one was wrong to think Rey Related was a possibility. They were wrong to consider Rey Related the only option. Subversion was always perfectly valid. And I'd argue that unlike the issues some have with Luke, the reaction against Rey Nobody is negligible. In fact, I'd say that the subversion is one of the most commonly and highly praised elements in the film. IMO, it is (largely) a head canon issue and one that really only strongly affects the overly-invested. If you watch TFA now, there's nothing in it that is contradicted by Rey Nobody and it's also evident (to me, at least) just how little the text of the film suggests she has to be related.

22. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    For a while after TFA, I thought she was Luke's kid too. But the Bloodline novel shot down any possible way I could see that to work.

23. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Looking at the actual film, and then Bloodline, there are almost no concrete clues that suggest she can only be a Skywalker. The closest was Maz's saber line, but that was always possible to interpret as "holy **** you're so strong with the force even the Skywalker saber is calling to you for some reason". And now we know the reason. The force was trying to get through to Luke Skywalker who had cut himself off from the Force and was on the verge of letting the Jedi order die right when the galaxy needs the Jedi most. But at some point, the total lack of clear cut clues became proof itself - "of course they can't mention a Solo daughter, that would give the reveal away!" Well, that's not necessarily how storytelling always works. You have to play vaguely fair. And TFA does that.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  24. TheAnonJedi

Dec 12, 2017
    It wasn’t head canon for me and as I’ve said they could’ve done it much better if Rey was going be random and even though TFA has no continuity errors you can tell that film is completely different in regards to quality in writing and pacing. No Canto Bight pointless drag and it feels more like a Star Wars film in general but to Rian’s credit his film is shot better IMO and he tried to do something different so there is that. Personally I land in the middle as I want some familiar with a bit of change, I hated force projection Luke and still do(I wanted badass lightsaber duel with Kylo and/or Snoke) but I liked Luke’s character in the film.

DarthPhilosopher likes this.
  25. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    What you're saying about TFA and TLJ being different in terms of pacing and tone (the writing is mostly better in TLJ IMO) applies to ANH and ESB as well. And if you make it clear that Rey is a nobody from the start, all you're doing is telling a story to appease those who wanted the answer from the start, rather than allowing the story to play out as the creators wanted it to.

Yora, rorow1 and DarthPhilosopher like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.