main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Daisy Ridley (Rey) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Voider, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    I don’t follow him. I’m not on Twitter. I talk here, where people constantly post his tweets and then say untruthful things like he’s only rude to specific people that are rude to him.

wobbits, eko32eko7, Ren Kylo and 2 others like this.
  2. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    That's a matter of opinion, not "truth".

3. NHB0M

NHB0M Jedi Master star 4

Dec 13, 2016
    The person was polite in the situation I talked about. I think patience wears thin when you spend years in a fandom like this one, though.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  4. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    He gently mocks a generalised group of over obsessive fans and people that refuse to listen to what people are telling them. I find it hard to blame him - I think a lot of fandom is entitled and rude and I agree that some fans digest all this in a really unhealthy way that is anathema to the whole point of fiction. If it doesn’t apply to an individual, it doesn’t apply to an individual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    There’s a bunch of tweets very recently posted in this thread where he makes fun of fans for how they speculate with other fans that tweeted him for the purpose of making fun of those fans.

But sure I supposed we can agree to disagree about whether that speaks for itself.

Edit: excuse me, by “making fun of” I suppose I meant “gently mocking.”

wobbits, eko32eko7, Ren Kylo and 4 others like this.
  6. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Do you think it might be possible that those fans were being a bit ridiculous, and perhaps needlessly personal and OTT?
    Funny how the pearl clutching of “rudeness” rarely seems to cross the divide of “I liked/didn’t like a film”. I didn’t see anyone who didn’t like the film, for example, saying earlier today “steady on, mate - calling RJ “Freaky Johnson” is needlessly personal and undermines any valid criticism”

7. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    I think we can agree to disagree about whether that's a fair characterisation.

I personally like Pablo's style. He gently tweaks the noses of unreasonable people.

8. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    For clarity, Pablo Hidalgo isn’t actually Lucasfilm customer services, there to fix any problems fans have with a film.

9. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    Yeah that’s exactly my point. Somehow it has become normal to act like a huge portion of the audience is “unreasonable” just because of how they speculate around a question posed by these movies.

Perhaps if LF didn’t have this kind of an attitude, all around discussion of this “divide” would be more pleasant. I have become convinced that feeling like “fanboys” need to be scolded is a big part of the systemic problem inside LF.

Those fans weren’t tweeting PH when he chose to make fun of them generally. Lots of fans speculated around Rey’s parentage and absolutely the vast majority of them are perfectly reasonable and polite and a huge portion of them are so-called casual fans that would never in a million years tweet PH.

As far as people being horrible to RJ, of course that’s a thing too and I abhor it. I won’t defend it or participate in it. I also won’t hold it against anyone but those specifically engaging in it.

10. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    No, I don't think that's a fair characterisation. It's not about the speculation, it's about the fixation, the obsession over minutiae and the resulting anger when the realisation hits that the storytellers aren't as invested as they are in that level of inconsequential detail.

11. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    I thought about it for a moment then I remembered that it's Rey who said first that they were nobodies. I still think it's weird she saying "nobodies" but anyway

eko32eko7 and oncafar like this.
  12. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    PH’s tweets were very generally referring to anyone that speculated that Rey was related.

wobbits likes this.
  13. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015
    I think people are speaking about his level of professionalism. There are people in his equivalent position in the comic,videogame,etc. industry. When overbearing fans raid their twitter, they usually just ignore them. I know its a different style, but the last thing anyone should want to do is treat their fans like they're idiots/pathetic for being super fans.

Considering the fact that rey's parentage makes her motivations in TFA confusing, to say the least, I don't think its hard to be understanding with fans who show frustration over this. This is also true when you consider LFL's language regarding the subject during the 2 years between the films. I remember someone saying the reveal would be deeply satisfying to fans when in reality, they got one sentence confirming it to be a rather mundane and uninspired reveal. Thats gonna feel like a troll to a certain group of fans who feel like something else, anything else, was setup besides a backstory that could've been stated in the first film. JJ even said that he didn't want to do two parental reveals which would suggest that rey's parentage has weight or some importance to the saga overall. That also turned out to not be the case. So it comes across as either a strange troll move, or something about the story was changed over the 2 years between films. I'd always said that it made the most narrative sense for her to be a skywalker, while maintaining that they could do something else. By something else, i meant another route that would explain her affinity while being very relevant to the story. Rey random would be fine by me if the "random" was something that justified the 2 year+ mystery box. Drunkards who sold their girl into slavery was not a worthy reveal. Pablo should understand how some folk would be disappointed, frustrated, and straight up outraged over what now feels like a giant waste of time and energy. Fans are very invested in these stories. Thats a good thing, especially if the bottom line is very important. It seems childish to point fun at those fans over twitter. Just move a long and speak to fans that are being respectful and constructive.

Also, its not just some fringe group thats not feeling this. You have pretty level headed and normal folks (example: jessica chobot) who were angered by the handling of rey's parental reveal. I think it was a pretty silly screw up overall. Nobody likes being baited along for nothing.

wobbits, eko32eko7, Ren Kylo and 6 others like this.
  14. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Quite.

Exactly this.

IncessantRamblings likes this.
  15. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Ah, well, now this is starting to make sense.

TK327 likes this.
  16. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    Not sure what was confusing about it before now. You said it wasn’t about the speculation but the fixation. Pablo’s tweets are about the speculation, and say outright that there is actually no basis to speculate Rey Related. Then he tonally and through “likes” and retweets agrees that people are absurd to speculate in those directions.

If he was only talking about those “fixated,” there was plenty of room to talk about those fixated on both sides of the debate, while still granting that the movie set up the audience to speculate, which it did. That was never his tone.

17. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    “I always said that it made the most narrative sense for her to be a skywalker,”

TFA showed Rey abandoned, screaming hysterically for her parents to come back. Taking the film at face value, that would be a hell of a thing for Luke Skywalker to do to his kid, no?

The film also shows us Maz (who has talked to Han privately about who she is) telling her that her parents aren’t coming back, AND doesn’t have Rey recognise Luke as a parent at the end.

Personally, I wanted Rey to be a Skywalker if I had a preference, but the text absolutely doesn’t give us anything where that would make more sense then her being random.

“ Rey random would be fine by me if the "random" was something that justified the 2 year+ mystery box. Drunkards who sold their girl into slavery was not a worthy reveal.”

A two year “mystery box” is just the time it takes to make these films. The intent is that you don’t think about it every day in between the re;ease of the two films, because very few things will live up to that.
    As for “worthy reveal”; narratively it was powerful - as someone else said, it’s important to Rey that her parents were nobodies.

18. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    To be fair, we've seen that the writers will have Luke do some things that seem messed up. For starters, contemplating, even though just for a moment, killing his Nephew. And then abandoning his family and friends and everyone who needs him while the galaxy falls apart. He'd planned to die. And if he'd let himself die, then all the good guys would've been toast. So I don't think "Luke wouldn't do that" is a very good argument at this point.

In fact, I'd much rather have him make the gut-wrenching decision to leave his daughter somewhere hidden out of desperation, and having no other choice. It's still messed up, yeah, but I'd take that over all the stuff we saw and learned in TLJ.

As for the reveal, a lot of people are disappointed, that's all. They kinda have a right to be. Since they're the ones paying money to be entertained. I know some people are really just complainers, but there's a lot of valid criticism out there.

eko32eko7 likes this.
  19. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Some people were completely unwilling to listen to arguments that Rey might be random and spent two years proselytising the Good News of Rey Skywalker/Solo. Of course they'll feel the sting if Pablo decides to gently mock what for them was holy dedication.

hermiona52, Yora, MaciekRS and 6 others like this.
  20. GauntGrandMoff

GauntGrandMoff Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 29, 2016
    Personally I've always found PHs attitude a tad di**ish. Only because the guy is on Twitter for christ sake, if someone is being ridiculous then why doesn't he simply ignore them and move on as @Blastaar has said. The guy has always stuck me as someone who let his postion get to his head a little. It's kind of like when Rian picked out an incredibly vile tweet that criticized his movie and retweeted it out for everyone to see that he was blocking that individual.

My point is that sometimes it feels like in an attempt to justify TLJ these guys will use social media to make the majority of dissatisfied fans look crazy or unreasonable.

In regards to Reys parantage I'll just ask this: in the end, what does it matter if Rey is "no one"? At this point she's been shown to be more skilled than any Skywalker ever was. What does "Rey Random" actually mean to those who support it? Genuine question.

One other question I have for you guys: what are your thoughts on Rey beginning to weep, when she met Luke? I always thought that it was odd and had assumed that she felt a connection to him through the force...

I'm still in the ReySky camp but do you guys think that just like Reys vision of the ship flying off towards the sun, her moment with Luke in TFA was retconnned?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

wobbits, eko32eko7, Ren Kylo and 2 others like this.
  21. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    I think the opposite is true; some fans let their jealousy of his position get to their heads.

Satipo likes this.
  22. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    It's exactly what Rian says: it gives her no easy answers. And that then makes her journey more interesting.

hermiona52, Yora, MaciekRS and 4 others like this.
  23. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    That would sting if Pablo ever differentiated between people that spent two years proselytizing and anyone that thought she might be related.

Also, I get the impression that you’re trying to make a point about me personally. For clarification purposes so I don’t presume, is that your goal?

Ren Kylo and Jazz9276 like this.
  24. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    FWIW, I wouldn’t be surprised if there was more to come about her parents, but I don’t think she’s related and if there isn’t it’s good as it is. “Nobodies” and a truth she’s been denying to herself is a great gutpunch.

Also, I really hate the insistence that she can only be really powerful or interesting if she’s related.

25. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    I'm not singling anyone out. But I do think it's clear that Pablo's message is "Don't take these things too seriously", and I think you are maybe taking things too much to heart. It's Star Wars. We should be having fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.