main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Daisy Ridley (Rey) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Voider, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedibarrister

jedibarrister Jedi Master star 1

Apr 30, 2001
    So here's the scenes put together: Ben Solo aka Kylo Ren looks into Rey's mind and sees oceans (like on the planet where she finds Luke?) Her parents left her on Jakku and she's waiting for them to come back. Han doesn't recognize her or her name. Yet when she, as a total stranger, returns to the rebel base, Leia walks past Chewie straight to Rey and gives her a loooong hug. Rey has never been to the base. Did not meet Leia. So why the hug? I suspect that she's Ben's younger sister. That Han left Leia not knowing there was a Rey and that like Obi-Wan, Leia chose to hide Rey on a desert planet to hide her from Snopes and the Knights of Ren.

Robert Merrill likes this.
  2. adamclark83

adamclark83 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2009
    Episode VIII will be the most emotional chapter, like II and V, where the hero gets tested in some way. Love for a woman, love for your friends so how will Rey get tested??

3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    She lost the will to live.:p

Also does anyone not think she is a skywalker?

4. adamclark83

Feb 1, 2009
    Will Rey be made a target in the next movie? With Luke the last Jedi and now Rey being revealed as Force sensitive, she will be in serious danger with the First Order determined to find her.

7starlight likes this.
  5. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015

I think she might be a target but she will be fine as Luke will probably take her under his wing from hear on out. I think Rey will become the founder of the New Jedi Order.

6. Darth Dreadwar

Darth Dreadwar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 26, 2010
    If it wasn't for the timing being wrong (Kylo Ren presumably being no more than a decade older than Rey), I'd say Luke was leaving her there when he realised Skywalker/Solo offspring turning to the dark side could be catastrophic for the galaxy. He didn't want a repeat of Ben Solo's (or Anakin Skywalker's?) fall.

Otherwise, I would tend to think they wanted a character based on Lucas' original intent for girl!Luke, an orphan whose parentage isn't the major plot point Luke's became after TESB, and found it convenient to have her parentage be mysterious as a red herring to make Kylo Ren's identity and patricide unexpected and powerful.

Seeher likes this.
  7. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I'm still not sold that she is Luke's daughter as of yet. Hope we all find out one way or another so that this question can be finally put to bed.

fuhry likes this.
  8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Love her character. Ready to see what she does next.

9. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    I like Rey the best out of an outstanding cast in TFA. I've only seen the film once, but I know the character of Rey, and Daisy's performance will continue to hold my attention upon repeated viewings. She did a wonderful job with a great character, imo.

Jedi Knight Fett, Bathos and fuhry like this.
  10. The Shrike

The Shrike Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Her stunt double Chloe Bruce is quite talented with a Bo Staff, so maybe that's where her fighting style comes from.

Seeher likes this.
  11. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002

The bolded would make Leia and Han look like idiots and the poorest parents of all time.

The only way TFA could've made it any clearer that Rey isn't a Solo would have been to have provided us with a last name for her.

Han told Leia about Rey; THAT's what prompted their huggy moment. It's as simple as that.

12. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    -We find out she's Luke's daughter
    -We'll probably find out about her mother

13. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    She is tied for my favorite new Character from TFA right next to Finn. also She is beautiful!

Cant wait to see where they take her next.

Darth Doop likes this.
  14. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    I'm still unsure if I like her. If she's skywalkers daughter than I will like her and I understand the mary sue qualities, but if she's a random, then its trash.

Poe was my real favorite.

15. Solo-Skywalker

Solo-Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2014
    Things I believe to be important moving forward:

Rey's friendship with Finn and how it affects the story
    Rey's relationship to Luke Skywalker (not in terms of parental but in respect to how she will be thought to harness those new found abilities)
    An in depth discussion of merit versus birthright and how each could impact the trilogy as a whole; especially knowing how fragile Kylo is emotionally.

I do hope the "Journey to the Force Awakens" book and the "Survival Guide" both out now lend a little more insight into the character herself.

MattOrgana likes this.
  16. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    Ok. Rey is 19 in TFA. She was reportedly 5 when she was abandoned on Jakku.

We don't know how old Ben/Kylo is.

We don't know how long Luke has been away.

We don't know when Ben/Kylo betrayed Luke (though in the novel, it's written that Han sees Ben's face as a young man for the first time on the bridge, implying that he was a younger teenager when he ran away from Luke).

17. Kantz

Kantz Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 23, 2015
    I actually do not think it will be. TFA was the opposite of ANH, as in it wasn't really a happy ending. Billions of people die, han dies (a character fans have known for almost 40 years), the republic is destroyed, Fin is in a Coma etc. To me, TFA awakens was kinda of a combo of IV and V. So, I am expecting VIII to have some similarities as Empire but I am expecting a happy ending. A downer would be predictable because of empire and fans need an emotional rest after TFA imo. I am just expecting it to be something new more than TFA was.

18. Friendslayer889

Friendslayer889 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 15, 2015

More like she forcepushed it into orbit. The acting this young lady achieved in this movie is perfect. She does impressions so well like when she was frozen and had a lightsaber oozing 2 inches from her face. That is true fear.

19. adamclark83

Feb 1, 2009
    I think so too. Be even better if she manages to rescue Ben and they found the new order together.

20. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    I thought it was pretty interesting that throughout the Art of TFA, "Rey" was always in parentheses but "Kira" wasn't. Early in the book it did explain how Kira and Sam became Rey and Finn, and that's fine as they'd be Kira and Sam depending on when each concept art was created but at some point in the book you do notice that "Finn" has been settled on while every single time Rey is still "Kira (Rey)".

Anywho, if it were up to me, I'd dangle the Rey is Luke's daughter carrot as the second-movie-in-trilogy reveal and have it be true, but then also have Rey about to deal Kylo Ren a killing blow amongst an audience of other Knights of Ren and other Jedi when we suddenly have it revealed that Kylo Ren has a kid and family already and have it somehow make Rey hesitate and recognize that the scenario playing out is basically the reverse of when the KoR wiped out the Jedi and she was taken away as a child and left on Jakku - that her killing Ben essentially leaves his kid abandoned and parentless. We've been conditioned to expect each next generation's presence to only be introduced/significant in "the next trilogy"...and that the baddies are loners.

Yeah, Anakin murdered younglings, but do we really care? Nope, because we didn't know them. How do you redeem a character that murdered Han Solo (acceptable to an audience who all thought "Nope! No coming back from that. You gotta die now!)? You give them a kid. That's watching.

21. jedibarrister

jedibarrister Jedi Master star 1

Apr 30, 2001
    So Han dies, and Leia completely passes Chewie by and runs into the arms of a total stranger just because Han mentioned he'd picked some girl up on Jakku? The only thing that would cause Leia not to grieve with Chewie over Han's death is seeing someone she loves and hasn't seen in far too long.

So another bug: Rey knows nothing about the Force and yet one conversation with Kanata and she's putting the jedi mind whammy on a guard, pulling out lightsabers (where a trained Ren cannot) and fighting a trained dark jedi padawan and winning. Does.Not.Compute.

22. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Rey seemed to be more powerful than the reckless Kylo. This is perfect. She will go into formal training being very torn about who her family is. That will lead her down a VERY dark path as she discovers the dark truth of her backstory and how her memory had been wiped from her by Luke. As she continues her awakening, she becomes angry and vulnerable. All the while, Kylo becomes more disciplined and controlled. The tides turn. Unlike between ESB and ROTJ where Luke becomes more powerful and Vader weaker, Rey becomes more vulnerable and Kylo much much stronger. But a twist will bring them together in a dark way as they find out the true nature of 'Snoke' (a fabrication of Del Toro's character) ultimately leading to a duel between Rey and Luke....something Del Toro's character had hoped for.

23. Order 66

Order 66 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    We will see Rey and Ren being trained at the same time by their respective masters. You would have to think that Ren becomes much more powerful than he was in VII because he got owned by Rey, who had no previous training whatsoever. Rey is going to be an absolute beast with the lightsaber in VIII. The force is strong with this one.

7starlight likes this.
  24. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    So what will the big reveal at the end of VIII be?

Luke lied to you - "I your brother.." ? or .. "I am your .. cousin?"

25. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015

Or maybe a better way for me to of put it would have been (based on the fact that Disney might be making Star Wars movies for the next twenty years) is that Rey will be the founder of the latest Jedi Order.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.