main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Daisy Ridley (Rey) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Voider, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015

I lol'd.

2. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015

Seriously. What is it about female characters and romance that people take issue with?

3. Jim Ryalto

Jim Ryalto Jedi Grand Master star 2

Aug 21, 1998
    The prevailing attitude seems to be "I'll put up with a girl as the lead, but none of that mushy stuff!"

4. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    I'm pretty sure that poncho drops down further on the figure.

5. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Iit's probably a range of feelings feeding into this, with what you suggest from some males. I think it's possible too that some women don't want Rey to end up being defined by the man that she falls in love with or transformed into a 'better' version of herself as a result. Without a writer being aware of these pitfalls and writing to subvert them, it's almost easier to just avoid it entirely. I totally understand it as it's in Star Wars already. You can argue that Leia lost her edge in ROTJ once Han was at her side again (aside from "wait Leia" she's really passive on Endor, being involved in none of the planning or the revisions) and Padme, well her character/personality virtually disappears except to serve as motivation for Anakin and baby delivery for Luke and Leia.

6. forever_jedi

forever_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 5, 2002
    I can't answer about "people" in general. I stated that it's MY opinion and it's not a general opinion even for me, but in the context of Star Wars. I would like to follow the first female main character in SW who is a Force user, without the help of a romance. Lucas gave Leia force abilities in RotJ at the last moment, but she didn't do anything with those. Padme was all about romance in 2 of her 3 films, and I immensely disliked her character's trajectory after she started on her romance (AotC, RotS).
    I would like Rey to be different in the ST. First establish her in her own right, without the help of a romantic partner, and then go for romance in later films or EU. I am all for that.

7. Eugene3

Eugene3 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2017
    I'm not against romance but it would have to be very well written and be very subtle for my to accept it, SW has past records in just reducing a woman's arc to romance (Padme in ROTS and Leia in ROTJ)and since Rey is the main character the romance would be center to the plot(what Rian has said it's not) and i don't want the oh "he is the love of her life and is her greatest weakness", is very cliché. So for those motives I prefer Rey's romance to be on expanded materials.

8. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2016
    I just fear the Padame effect. She started off so well and then became nothing but a breeding machine. Also there's the aspect of the 'trophy wife'. She's considered a victory for the male character who wins her heart. [face_sick]

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  9. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Is there a competition between the Luke, Rey and Finn threads to see which is the most depressing?

10. Eugene3

Mar 20, 2017
    we need a trailer:D or not...the trailer can bring more depression too[face_plain]

11. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    What took you so long to notice? :p

Eh, I can wait on a trailer there's been some excellent speculating in some of these threads lately; that's the best way to kill depression until the trailer comes out. :D

IncessantRamblings likes this.
  12. Jazz9276

Jazz9276 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 19, 2016
    We need interviews with the actors. Those cannot get here fast enough. Right now we're only hearing from one person and I don't care much for what he's saying.

Eugene3 and Dark Horse like this.
  13. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    I'm absolutely thrilled by what Rian is saying, and hope he keeps talking.

14. Dark Horse

May 15, 2016
    All too true =D=

15. Eugene3

Mar 20, 2017
    Actually eveything that Rian says in the interviews makes me don't want to see the movie, looks nothing compelling to me, I hope the words of Daisy, who is someone to whom I take more the word(respect Rey's character) will relieve my worries. Maybe the trailer can have the effect too.
    so on the 11th there is fanmeet in Japan, Rian and? maybe Daisy and John?I hope so.

Jazz9276 and Dark Horse like this.
  16. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Rian can only reveal so much, a lot of it sounds like first act material. As Rian can talk about Luke and Kylo, right now, so he is. I would love to know more about Finn (and Poe...where is Poe?), but like, Rey I suspect Finn and Poe are connected to huge spoilers they cannot reveal now or reveal the entire storyline.

We're a week away from the 3 months to opening day. I am sure you will hear a lot about Rey from Daisy, Rian etc. as they are allowed to discuss it.

Hang in there. :)

What Rian, John and Mark have said about Rian's work on this film changed me from skeptic to wanting to see it.

Jacques who likes this.
  17. Eugene3

Mar 20, 2017
    I know that's the reason i'm waiting for Daisy's interviews. Rian doesn't talk about Finn either, but at least John has talked about him in his interviews and we know more about his arc on TLJ.

18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Well what if Daisy doesn't do any interviews?

19. Eugene3

Mar 20, 2017

o_Oshe's obviously going to do interviews.if not for TLJ then for her other film where surely will be asked for TLJ.

20. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012

Indeed, he doesn't discuss Finn. No reason to worry though, I think it's pretty cool they're keeping them under wraps which can only mean interesting things for their characters.

Don't worry Daisy and Rey will be front and center with more info soon enough.

21. Jazz9276

Jazz9276 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 19, 2016
    I wasn't suggesting he stop talking if that was the takeaway from my post.

I've simply heard all I need to hear from him. Which is why I stated a few posts ago that I will stay away from his interviews now. I'll go so far as to say I hope when the press starts up for Daisy and interviewers want quotes from her peers they stay away from Rian. If they need a directors perspective hopefully they turn to Kenneth Branagh, Claire McCarthy, or Doug Liman. If they need someone from Star Wars hopefully they turn to Mark, John, Kathy, or even JJ.

I still want to see the film. Still plenty I'm excited about. That's the power and charm of Daisy and her performance of Rey. She can take something that would otherwise be cringeworthy and elevate it. Thanks to other sources we do know there is more to her character than what Rian wants to discuss.

Eugene3 likes this.
  22. Dark Horse

May 15, 2016
    Kenneth Branagh, Claire McCarthy, Doug Liman & JJ = Respect & Care

That's all that is needed.

Not scribbling all over someones face........

23. minie

minie Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 7, 2017
    I think that they are so much more than he can talk right now, I think something about Rey is gonna be really special.. just personally can feel it... I still like kylo' arc as well. what Rian said about him is compelling to me that he is not just a villain vs rey the hero... so they might be a twist between them. I just hope both of their stories are good in their own right, and how their relationship develops (not in a romantic way, but also don't mind the romance as long as it a good story)

24. General_Leia_Organa

General_Leia_Organa Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 23, 2016

You seriously think that means he hates and disrespects her?

25. Eugene3

Mar 20, 2017
    Look at this cutie
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.