main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Daisy Ridley (Rey) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Voider, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Can someone say what the picture showed? I can't see it as I'm stuck at work for the next ten hours. If it's too offensive then just PM me.

2. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    So first Daisy gets hate (fully intended or not) and for standing up for herself she'll likely get told off for the actions of her fans.

This is why people are fleeing "social" media.

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  3. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    If this started over the picture I posted then please allow me to say that I was praising her modesty.

In today's world, women, and more specifically a\the woman's body, are objectified to the point that becomes diluted by having to be more and more 'seductive' and\or dress in a seductive manner.

I view modesty as being more attractive.

I praise Daisy and JJ for allowing the character 'Rey' to be modest as well as Daisy herself being modest outside the limelight. A TRUE ROLL MODEL.

I say this being the husband to a very beautiful and modest wife and the father of 2 beautiful daughters. They are and will be shown modesty by the example their mother sets. My wife's modesty comes of her own will.

I sincerely hope my daughters can view Daisy's modesty with admiration and view Daisy as a true roll model.

4. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    This is why I don't use ANY form of social media. Heck I barely text on the phone.

Darth_Voider and Wildcatbarry like this.
  5. ThreeDeathstickProblem

Sep 25, 2014
    Someone said Rey doesn't represent real women because she's not curvy. So Daisy responded (pretty eloquently IMO), but forgot to censor the alleged troll's username and not they're both getting hate and it's basically a ****storm.

6. Wildcatbarry

Jan 23, 2015
    This is the only forum I use.

No Facebook, No Twitter, No Instagram for me.

I do use Linked-In however, but only for professional reasons.

7. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    Yikes! That doesn't sound good. Well, Daisy is new to life of being in the public eye, so hopefully she sends a nice apology to this girl. She should do it through a DM, no need to make it public.

8. Darth Imbecillis

Darth Imbecillis Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2016

It was just a picture of Rey with a speech bubble that says "I can't believe the unrealistic expectations I'm setting for young girls. Who cast me anyway? Don't they know real women have curves?"

It's stupid, yes, and Daisy was right to call out the message of it. But I honestly don't think the girl who was publicly shamed was a good example of a "hater". I only looked at her account quickly but she seemed to be just a harmless Star Wars fan - she was reposting lots of pictures of Rey, Obi-Wan, Chewbacca. No hatred in sight. If it's true that she's a mentally handicapped girl who doesn't even speak English and reposted the picture without knowing what the speech bubble was saying, and she just got hounded off Instagram by Daisy's fans (the girl has deleted her account), then that's awful.

Force22, CrazyOldJedi and soul8luos like this.
  9. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    Wilcatberry I follow a few people on Instagram, but I don't have an account myself. BTW, Daisy is one of these people.

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  10. turnip white

turnip white Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2014
    It was not your picture, same image but with a speech bubble.

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  11. Wildcatbarry

Jan 23, 2015
    Okie Dokie Budro. Thanks for clarifying, I really appreciate it Turnip. [face_cowboy]

turnip white likes this.
  12. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    I've seen the film five times now and I've come to the conclusion that the single best part of the film is Ridley's performance of her character Rey. Everyone is fine in the film. The story's the story. It has strengths and weaknesses (and I'd argue more strengths than weaknesses), but the character of Rey and Ridley's performance is truly the centerpiece of the whole film. I could see the film being much weaker if Rey had not been played by Ridley or somehow written differently. The filmmakers nailed the single most important aspect of the film - the character Rey.

13. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Same here. I only have a Facebook account, but I don't really use it. I just look sometimes at the Star Wars Facebook page, and guess what I see there?

[​IMG]

turnip white likes this.
  14. ThreeDeathstickProblem

Sep 25, 2014
    A couple things:

I glanced at the account and none of the images had text bubbles prior to the Rey picture. So why start now, and with an image with text you (supposedly) can't read? Secondly, the user posted at least one reply in pretty good English, so the idea that he/she didn't understand the intent of their own post is less credible to me.

I'm not saying 100% they're a troll, but there's some odd choices made here that don't seem so innocent.

hippie1kenobi likes this.
  15. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    Here's what I don't get, WHAT about Daisy's figure/physical appearance is "setting unrealistic expectations?" I mean she's definitely attractive, but she's not "supermodel looking." She's not overly tall, she doesn't have ridiculously outsized other physical features, etc. So what it is? The only thing that I can think of is that she's really tone and fit, but that's because she went through months or workouts/physical fitness training/dieting in order to prepare for the role (which is a physical role). And normal people CAN do all of that. Heck my younger brother works out/diets for his college sports programs and he's noticeably toned and muscular.

16. Darth Imbecillis

Jan 20, 2016

Well, in the same vein, why post hundreds of perfectly innocent pictures and then one snarky picture? That doesn't strike me as effective trolling. Perhaps she just reposted almost every picture of Rey she came across in the tags. She only had 47 followerrs so it's not like she had much outreach if she wanted to lecture people about body image issues. God knows how Daisy happened to come across the photo. Bad luck all around.

Look, I have no idea. I don't know the girl. But I give strangers the benefit of the doubt, just like I give Daisy the benefit of the doubt that she didn't mean to publicly shame the girl. I only saw one reply from that account before it was deleted, it was in rather poor English and said that the writer's daughter is mentally handicapped and she's a big fan of Rey and Daisy and she's very sorry for her mistake. I see no reason to be suspicious of some random Danish adolescent.

All in all, given how Instagram is full of absolutely vile comments, that girl seemed like a bizarre target for an outrage campaign. That's all.

17. turnip white

Dec 3, 2014
    That is what I don't get. She's sculpted like a dancer / gymnast, she's muscular lean not skinny and there is nothing wrong her.

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  18. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    The dangers of our times. I hope it doesn't cause Daisy to get off Instagram as well.

19. ThreeDeathstickProblem

Sep 25, 2014
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BCvzkLGlE4L/

ETA:
    I believe Daisy's initial reply said the user tagged her on the post.

Grey Matter and turnip white like this.
  20. Darth Imbecillis

Jan 20, 2016

Daisy's screenshot only showed Star Wars and The Force Awakens tags.

But however it was, I just Googled the girl's name and not only is she a special needs child, she looks really young. Like maybe 12. I think some kind of an apology is in order.

21. turnip white

Dec 3, 2014
    If she's that young she should not be on social media. This whole ****** situation shows it, parents need to be more responsible.

Darth_Voider and Wildcatbarry like this.
  22. Wildcatbarry

Jan 23, 2015
    Preach!

23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Don't you have to be 13 to be on social media? OR is that just Facebook? Or did they change that?

24. turnip white

Dec 3, 2014
    I don't know it may differ in different countries? Even so in this day and age the potential for grooming and all that, kids need protection just as much for themselves as to others. I don't want to end up derailing the thread. So I will just stay shallow so to say because this is not the place to discuss social media. However, if you have a kid who has learning difficulties, they really ought to have more protection on the murky world of the internet. This debacle shows why.

25. Darth Imbecillis

Jan 20, 2016

Does it really matter if she's 12 or 13? Either way her social media presence seems to consist of posting pictures of cats and Star Wars characters, she appears to go to a special needs school, she posted one picture with a speech bubble she most likely didn't understand, and got attacked by hundreds of outraged commenters. She even tried to apologise for posting the picture, but obviously people would have none of it.

I'm seriously not hoping for any Daisy backlash because of this, but the girl was a harmless young fan who got unjustly attacked - surely I'm not the only one who thinks this is wrong?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.