main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Daisy Ridley (Rey) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Voider, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I also noticed that R2 only wakes up again once Rey is there, and I don't think that that's a coincidence.

wobbits and DARTH MUPPET like this.
  2. Seeher

Seeher Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2003
    BTW ... I'm going to totally going on a limb here and say Rey and Jess Pava are partners in the last half of 8.

Take that anyway you wish :p

Solo-Skywalker likes this.
  3. Puke-Jaywalker

Puke-Jaywalker Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 18, 2004
    Just had a thought about Rey's lineage.

So Obi-Wan talks to her during her vision. Clearly he has an interest in her.

We're also led to believe she's Luke's daughter quite heavily.

What if Obi-Wan had a daughter whom Luke eventually met after Return of the Jedi and they...had Rey?

A Kenobi AND a Skywalker.

Powerful breeding.

laurethiel1138 and Merric like this.
  4. DarthHavok

DarthHavok Jedi Master star 2

Feb 27, 2002
    One thought I had; If Rey is Luke's daughter, what if he doesn't know? We don't know when things went down (Ren's betrayal of Luke, etc). I read that Ren was born about 1 year after the Battle of Endor and Rey was about 10-11 years later. In that case, you would think the Ren would've known he had a cousin and that she disappeared. What if Luke had a liaison, ended up with Rey her mother never told Luke and then she abandons Rey on Jakku for some reason.

laurethiel1138 and 7starlight like this.
  5. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    Right now I guess Rey could be a Skywalker.

Darth_Voider and DARTH_MUPPET like this.
  6. DARTH MUPPET

DARTH MUPPET Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 16, 2001
    Based on what was presented in the movie, to me they all but spelled out that she is Luke's daughter.

And just for the hell of it, here's a new-ish picture.
    [​IMG]

7. DarthCeltic

DarthCeltic Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2010
    Did anyone notice the child Rey, screaming mom during the flashback.. I don't believe Rey's father was on that ship. Also, I think R2 reactivated based on sensing Skywalker.. Hundreds if not thousands of people step foot in that base for the length of his disappearance and nothing.. she steps foot on, and he pops awake.. I think Rey is Luke's, and he knows its his daughter because she looks just like his wife, her mother. Presumably, that's how Leia would know her.

8. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Did she? All I heard was "No! Please don`t go!"

Redimet, DARTH_MUPPET and Seeher like this.
  9. DarthCeltic

DarthCeltic Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2010
    That's what I heard the first time also.. but then when I rewatched it yesterday.. I distinctly heard mom..

10. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    After reading the book and watching the movie, I am still not convinced she is Luke's daughter. But regardless of what I think, I hope they get this question answered right away in episode 8. That way we can all put the debate to bed.

11. thecleric007

thecleric007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2003
    I'd be fairly surprised if she's not a Skywalker or Solo, though at this point I don't know which I think is more likely. But I agree, it would be good to just delve right into Rey's backstory in episode 8, since knowing that is going to add to everything else going on around her.

12. CrazyBladeUK

CrazyBladeUK Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 13, 2015
    Ok, let me put out an alternative theory on her lineage. I'm not saying I'm completely convinced of this, but it did occur to me after watching TFA a second time.

A lot has been said about Rey's fighting style - the lunging, almost rapier like moves that she employed against Ren. We've seen another lightsaber user employ those type of moves, and only one so far.

Palpatine.

So, yeah, it's a bit off the wall to suggest this, but what the hell! Could Rey be descended from Palpatine? Who knows. I have absolutely no doubt that Palpatine took sexual favours on his way to, and holding, power. None whatsoever. So isn't it quite possible that he could have had a child to a force user, and Rey is their child, ie. Sidious' grandchild?

Discuss :)

:kylosaber:

fuhry likes this.
  13. fuhry

fuhry Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 20, 2015

Good one - could be. I've been thinking she's not Luke's Daughter, but was his young padawan. My first thought is that he thought she was dead, but then I thought he would have known she was alive. I find it doubtful that he would have abandoned her with some scumbag on Jakku.... but .... it kind of fits together. After Ben Solo's betrayal and the destruction of the academy, Luke loses confidence in his ability to train a Jedi. He feels responsible (this we know) for Kylo Ren. So he leaves, but think about it, Rey and the missing piece of the map are on Jakku. R2D2 wakes up only when Rey and the Map fragment are reunited with him. That is part of Luke's design, I think, but whether she's a Skywalker is kind of irrelevant.

In this way, Luke has put his faith in the force - if Rey finds the map fragment, and if Rey finds R2, then Rey will find him. Otherwise - no one will find him.

But Lor San Tekka is dying. Rey has not found her way to him. He has heard about the increasing power of the First Order. So he contacts Leia and says he has the clue to Luke's whereabouts. However, the transmission is also intercepted by First Order spies.

CrazyBladeUK likes this.
  14. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    While interesting, I think we should not read too much into it. Fighting styles don't get inherited from one generation to another. Same with accents. Just because she has a similiar fighting style as Palpatine doesn't mean she could be a descendant. It could just be a coincidende.

However, the hints and clues about her having a connection to Luke are so much and all over the place in TFA that I think we should take this seriously.

15. Seeher

Seeher Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2003
    Her fighting style is most likely because of her staff.

DarthHavok likes this.
  16. fuhry

fuhry Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 20, 2015
    Here are a couple of more possibilities of Rey's lineage: She could be descended from Padme's family, but not Anakin's. Perhaps, within the force, that's a significant connection. Is it not also possible that Darth Vader himself fathered other children after the events of Revenge of the Sith? He may have even fathered children unbeknownst to him (ew gross, Palpatine)

17. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Maybe we should try to keep this conversation at least semi realistic. Palpatine and Vader after he was put into a suit is way way way to far of a stretch.

Chris_Fives likes this.
  18. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    It would be a major stretch to somehow connect her with Luke.. I mean she knows who he is.. 'Luke Skywalker? I thought he is a myth'. She must have heard stories about him.. and all of a sudden she forgets everything? Very weird..

Maybe she is just a regular kid (like Anakin) with high midichlorians count and just needs training?

I mean Qui Gon noticed that Ani was different than other kids, using his instincts etc..He was using the Force already without knowing it... It's the same with Rey.. She is very skillful etc but she didnt know that it was actually Force all the time.. Once she realizes this during the fight with Kylo she whispers 'Force', closes her eyes, focuses and Force is guiding her...

But I am very interested in her backstory...

19. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    She was fighting like Sidious!:eek:

20. Redimet

Redimet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2014
    Perhaps her mind was force whipped by Luke or maybe she just was simply to little to know anything about her parents when she was left behind so she didn't know her fathers name was Luke Skywalker.

7starlight likes this.
  21. Azpiri

Azpiri Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 20, 2015
    Here's a theory that I've been rolling around in my mind, but it's open to be shredded a part...

Lor San Tekka tells Dameron Poe that he's trying to right many wrongs, and the "first" was to offer up the map to Luke Skywalker / the first Jedi Temple. He was on Jakku in a make-shift village. Do you believe in coincidences that the map to Skywalker would be on the same planet as Rey? What if Lor San Tekka was going to alert Dameron Poe to Rey's presence; however, the First Order's raiding party interrupted the conversation before any other "rights" could be offered up.

My thought is this...

Something like... Lor San Tekka was suppose to watch over Luke's wife and Rey, and instead allowed for the Knights of Ren to infiltrate and kill Luke's wife. Luke's wife begs for Lor San Tekka to take Rey and keep her safe. It's one thing to allow people in to do evil things, but it's another to get your hands bloody. So rather than kill Rey, or physically hand Rey over to be killed... he takes her to Jakku and does the next worst thing imaginable: sells her into slavery on a remote, "worthless" planet.

LST promises Rey that her family will come back for her, and then never looks back.

This would make that final scene in TFA so meaningful -- Luke had lost all hope, given into despair. Rey gives Luke 'A new hope'... there would still be conflict because of his failure with Ben Solo. Plus, it doesn't take a genius to realize that if she's there on the planet (with his father's lightsaber, no less) that Kylo Ren will not be far behind. This is why the cheer / hope is tempered because Luke may have to relive watching his family die at the hands of Kylo Ren.

22. LastJediKnight

LastJediKnight Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    Stories her mother told her...

Chris_Fives likes this.
  23. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Technically it doesn't seem like Rey was any type of slave. She was just a scavenger who was stuck on a planet with no money and was having to scavenge the old battle field to trade with the one guy in the area with money. Course I havn't read The TFA visual guide just watched the movie and read her section in Before the Awakening book.

24. Jedi Beavis

Jedi Beavis Jedi Youngling

Dec 20, 2015
    Definitely a Skywalker, but is she Luke's kid or Leia's?

25. Captain B

Captain B Jedi Master star 3

Oct 8, 2014
    I just finished the book after seeing the film earlier in the day. When you compare the two you can see how much Abrams must have decided to cut. Other biggest hint is Leia playing with the seals on Rey's jacket just before Rey leaves to go find Luke and the inner dialog Leia has at that time. And Chewbacca's actions when she boards the Falcon. She tries to sit in the co-pilots seat and Chewie physically blocks her, she argues that she should be the co pilot and he sits down as the co pilot himself and even gestures her to the pilots seat.
    The book has a lot more clues

Big Boss, Jaina_Snoke and MattOrgana like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.