main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Daisy Ridley (Rey) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Voider, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    Yeah it sure does. It does add too the mystery. Which I will be curious to learn more about.

2. Captain B

Captain B Jedi Master star 3

Oct 8, 2014
    It adds to the mystery while begging a big question: why did Abrams cut these scenes?
    Leia fiddling with the front of the jacket calling it "Foolish nonsense. Beneath her status and position, while continuing to do so. But it felt so right and natural to be doing so"
    They share a few lines where Leia tells her how proud she is of her and Rey mentions she senses her apprehension that in sending her away she will be "reminded"
    Leia counters "you will not share the fate of our son"
    And then Chewie treats her as the new Captain of the Falcon. Rey tears up "you're serious, aren't you?" He musses her hair and Foster adds "He had no idea how much this innocent, familial gesture meant to her."

It certainly adds some serious questions as to why these scenes were obviously filmed and then cut.

MattOrgana likes this.
  3. Jedi Master Scorpio

Oct 24, 2015

Not just these scenes, but the conversation that Maz had with Rey after she found the Lightsaber was huge. I mean in the movie the dialogue is pretty close, but there is some things left out.The Maz/Rey conversation and what was said is the real reason I haven't jumped on board the "Luke is her father train" The convo has cast doubt in my mind.

4. Jaina_Snoke

Jaina_Snoke Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2015
    Wasn't the convo slightly different in the novel too?

5. Jaina_Snoke

Dec 18, 2015
    e
    Excellent theory. San Tekka's presence in Jakku is a big questions since he seems to know who Leia is...

fuhry likes this.
  6. Jedi Master Scorpio

Oct 24, 2015

Without opening the book I will try to write exactly what she said to her.

This is what the novel says: Whatever you've been waiting for, whomever, I can see it in your eyes, you've known it all along, they're not coming back. But there's someone who still could with your help.

I suppose folks can interpret this differently, but they way I read it as, is that her parents are not coming back for her on Jakku, but that she can still help the galaxy by bringing Luke Skywalker back.

7. Jaina_Snoke

Dec 18, 2015
    Thanks! Sounds pretty much like in the film, though lol There's a more tan one way to interpret it. On one hand, you have the literal meaning, while on the other hand, Maz could be referring to Rey's fantasy parents not coming back.

8. Jedi Master Scorpio

Oct 24, 2015
    Yeah it does. The Novel in General follows the Movie pretty good. I have read many Novels that are so different from their movie counterparts. So it was nice to read a book that didn't veer from the movie a whole lot.

9. Captain B

Captain B Jedi Master star 3

Oct 8, 2014
    That's the quote. I re-read it several times to make sure I had it right. You have a good memory. That is completely accurate.

10. DarthHavok

DarthHavok Jedi Master star 2

Feb 27, 2002
    What if Luke never knew he had a child? I feel that Han, Leia and other would know Luke had a child and that she was put into hiding.

Seeher likes this.
  11. Seeher

Seeher Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2003
  12. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Thanks for the link Seeher
    Great to hear Daisy asserting herself in real life too.
    I'm not a TFA gusher, at least not until I see it 4 times or so, but if I could choose only one aspect of the film that I thought was the best, I would choose the Rey character arc. Daisy gave an outstanding performance. Rey has a fascinating story and she will probably end up being one of the most beloved SW characters ever, imho.
    I will be brief, so many on point posts here have already provided the evidence.
    I can't wait to see where Rey goes in Episode VIII.

Jedi Knight Fett and Seeher like this.
  13. Puke-Jaywalker

Puke-Jaywalker Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 18, 2004
    For those debating the possible paternal link between Luke and Rey, look no further than their names... The Greek meaning of "Luke" is "light giving" or simply "light." (The Light Side of the Force).

Rey sounds like "Ray" (which is Spanish for "King"); however, it also suggests she is a "ray of light" and/or "ray of hope"... As in "of a NEW hope." (ANH being Luke). Rey is quite literally "of Luke." She is the extension of his light/bloodline.

No other reason to name the character "Rey," IMO. Obviously they couldn't name her "Ray."

14. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Good points.
    Also, the name Rey origininates in 12th Century Medieval English, and also the Middle English "alter ye" meaning "at the island." It's a variant of Rye. At the island.
    Rye was a topographical name for "someone who lived on an island or a patch of marsh ground."
    This is interesting because Luke lived with and also was trained by Master Yoda, on Dagobah. Swampy, marshland.
    Obviously, in TFA, Rey journeys to find Luke, who is found on an island filled planet with water everywhere, including, undoubtedly, marshy, wetland areas.
    Rey.
    The Force Awakens
    Return of the Skywalkers

15. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    I find it also interesting that Lor San Tekka was living on Jakku.. yeah, he might have been there only for story purpose so that Poe goes there and Rey finds BB8 there...
    But as we know in SW usually nothing is coincidental...

Big Boss likes this.
  16. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    And the fact that Daisy looks like she is from Naberrie's blood line is also not a coincident...;)

Chained Prometheus likes this.
  17. adamclark83

adamclark83 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2009
    That just seems to show them as being mother and daughter.

18. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013

I'm thinking the odds are more likely that cousin Ben Solo was the one who dropped Rey on Jakku. His reaction in both the film ("What girl?") and in the novel ("It is you,") make me think he has a good idea of who this incredible woman from Jakku is.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  19. fuhry

fuhry Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 20, 2015
    I think when Maz tells Rey that who she's been waiting for is not coming back, but that there's still someone who could, it pretty much suggests that Luke is not actually the family she's waiting for. I pretty strongly feel that Luke is NOT her father, but that she knew him as a small child. And I don't think that Leia's her mother either. I think that Rey being a force-sensitive, strong young woman is reason enough for Leia to feel motherly toward her.

I'm thinking more about Lor San Tekka saying "This will begin to make things right"... It's almost as if he himself did something wrong in the past. But maybe he is just referring to the things that went wrong.

I feel pretty strongly that Rey was Luke's youngest pupil at his academy. It seems most plausible that she was dumped on Jakku by Ben/Kylo, but as to how Lor San Tekka fits in, with the map fragment, that he has no interest in giving to Leia until for some reason he decides to at the start of TFA... puzzling indeed.

20. GutWrench

GutWrench Jedi Youngling

Sep 9, 2015
    Is it just me or did it appear as though Rey recognized Luke?

21. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    I assume that Rey and Luke will have gotten to know each other by the time VIII starts, so if she is his daughter they will probably skip the big reveal. Could be wrong, though.
    I found it more noteworthy that Luke appeared to recognize Rey.

22. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Something tells me Daisy Ridley is going to put in one of the best performances in VIII of the entire saga.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  23. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    I interpreted it the same way you did.

Master Scorpio77 and Seeher like this.
  24. turnip white

turnip white Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2014
  25. Kuestmaster

Kuestmaster Jedi Master star 2

Nov 17, 2012