main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Daisy Ridley (Rey) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Voider, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    Again - you’re taking as fact a claim that TPTB and the movie itself cast doubt on.

At this time, Rey’s parental status remains unresolved.

2. RiddleMeThis

RiddleMeThis Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2017
    Unresolved = nameless faceless kidnappers that stole away Luke's daughter, right.

3. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    If you choose to believe that, fine.

I think “unresolved” means...”unresolved.”

:)

sls062286 and eko32eko7 like this.
  4. RiddleMeThis

Dec 7, 2017
    @jojopenneli isn't that your theory? I can't see why else you'd defend Rey's parents from accusations of their being horrible.

5. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    I’m not defending her parents. I’m pointing out that Kylo’s claim simply does not have much weight. One might believe it, yes. But it’s pretty much impossible to support an assertion that it’s canon fact. It’s not so much the absence of evidence that Kylo is correct as the presence of evidence that he’s likely wrong that I’m going by.

And no I don’t specifically think she was kidnapped. I do not, however, think that whoever left her on Jakku (for whatever reason) were her parents.

6. RiddleMeThis

Dec 7, 2017
    Okay. If I may ask, are you hoping Kylo is wrong? I won't judge or weaponize your response. I mean, I'm personally hoping that the answers we got in TLJ are final. I have never wanted Rey to be related to anyone important, be it Skywalker, Kenobi or Solo. So is it partly because you prefer Rey Skywalker that you're skeptical of what Kylo told her about her parents? I know that you've listed reasons for finding him unreliable, I've read them, but you're also hoping that she has familial ties to Luke right?

7. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    If LFL up and asked me “Hey, we’re making an ST - would you rather the lead be Luke’s kid or completely unrelated?” I’d say the former, certainly.

But I could absolutely imagine alternate TFA scenarios where the setup made unrelated make more sense. In which case, I would likely become invested in whatever the story was there. I was GA from ~2001 til last year. I had no expectations going into TFA other than that the OT3 would have cameos and the new guys would be unrelated. (Yes, it’s very possible to be completely out of the SW loop if you’re not a fan.)

As of now? Yes, I want it. But if I didn’t believe it based upon evidence I find extremely convincing, I wouldn’t be silly enough to set myself up for disappointment. It’s perfectly possible to believe something will happen even if it’s contrary to one’s personal desires. Which is why I’ve thought Kylo will be redeemed since I first saw TFA despite initially hating the character and feeling he didn’t deserve redemption at all.

I don’t hate him now, ofc. But I tend to manage to reconcile my feelings with what I believe is/will be true, not the other way around.

Sorry to be long-winded, but I wanted to be as clear as possible. While I know you’re not suggesting this, I’ve heard so many willfully ignorant “You only believe x because you want it to be so” accusations that I wanted to head that off at the pass in case a different poster thought to try out that logical fallacy.

RiddleMeThis likes this.
  8. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Indeed; it's very important to note that we haven't quite got clarification on whether or not Kylo's information, coming from Rey's mind, is the result of Rey simply not knowing the truth due to her age at the separation, or if she genuinely repressed hard facts that she knew very well when young.

*Some* of Kylo's reveal is highly likely to be conjecture, unless Rey is supposed to be so repressive of hard information that her arc becomes extraordinarily dark and tragic, while simultaneously making the mystery plot of dubious quality for a character arc if she seems unaffected by it minutes later. Fundamentally, Kylo and Rey can't be positive about Rey's parents dying in a pauper's grave on Jakku unless Rey explicitly found their grave and somehow had a way to identify them, which she then of course would have to repress in order for her TFA and TLJ storylines.

We as the audience have visual confirmation of only one aspect of Rey's marooning, and that's of a ship lifting up into the sky on a course seemingly on an extra orbital voyage. The most plausible details Rey and Kylo could know for certain without *extreme* repression is that her parents handed her custody over to Plutt, presumably in a monetary exchange.

TLJ's arc for Rey outside of her "relationship" with Kylo is kind of dependent on the Rey Random Reveal being genuine, so I'm torn; I don't like anything about the way TLJ does its story with Rey, but it only gets worse if the story turns out to just be a film long obfuscation.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    JoJoPenelli and AhsokaSolo like this.
  9. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    It seems like they're just biding their time for some massive trilogy-wide reveal at the expense of her character, which doesn't really have much in the way of fundamental change. They're not building on her character gradually but then again, like we've identified before, the compressed timeframe simply does not allow for that.

bluealien1 likes this.
  10. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
  11. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    It would have been crazy to see Rey go dark but they played it to safe with her

12. topgoalscorer_no11

topgoalscorer_no11 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    Would have been great - and believable in the context of the Saga and the character - had she turned to the Dark Side. Finn could have brought her back to the light in 9, or she and Kylo could have gradually worked back to the good side together. Feels like the dramatic stakes were all there, but were not followed through in TLJ, and we're left with a blandly good, pure character. Maybe they'll do something cool with her in 9. Not impossible. She was likeable in TFA.

Jamtia likes this.
  13. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    I think that's the worst thing regarding her character. She's less of a character and more of a loose amalgam of good traits.

wobbits and Jamtia like this.
  14. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    Oooooooo boy....

15. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I watched TFA recently and was struck by how much more likable Rey was in that film.

Jedi Jessy, klooney, Miriedis and 2 others like this.
  16. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Why? It’s basic story function. TFA NEEDS to win you over with new characters so setbacks are fleeting & heroic moments are longer. The second act of TLJ flips that.

17. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    I don’t see how that’s incompatable with Rey being as likeable as she was in TFA?

ETA: I say this as someone who LOVES her fave characters being torn down and deconstructed so they can arise phoenix-like in the end.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    Miriedis and christophero30 like this.
  18. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Agreed. I LOVED Luke in ESB and that movie was no picnic for his character. Or Aragorn in LOTR. Or Harry in the Potter books.

JoJoPenelli likes this.
  19. Felicia

Felicia Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    I saw the article on the front page of the website which speaks about how Rey got lucky in her dual with Luke in TLJ. As a fan that is just not good enough for me. The movie portrays her as a female who just knows how to do everything without training. Many would be quick to argue that no one really cared about how Palpatine was able to shoot lightning from his finger tips especially Rian Johnson. The difference is when we meet Palpatie he his older and has clearly been in the game a long time. It is a little more believable than a teenage girl who has been a scavenger most of her teenage life knowing how to use the Jedi mind trick and knowing exactly which words to use without being taught. The next thing is flying the Falcon. She can get "lucky" flying the Falcon and all that but knowing how to do repairs on a ship without being taught? That again is hard to believe. TLJ didn't make it much better especially when Yoda says she already knows what she needs? How? Every Jedi has been taught how to be a Jedi. How to walk like a Jedi and how to act like a Jedi. Rey didn't do any of that. The comic book cant explain away Rey's mary sue status. I can get the self taught light saber part but all of the force knowledge its an insult to everything that has come before it. Luke's struggling to pull his light saber from the snow. Anakin struggling with the amount of power he has and how to use it and control it compare to Rey who just knows it all and is quite at home with being powerful and "moving rocks". Its insulting.

20. RiddleMeThis

Dec 7, 2017
    It was the opposite for me. TLJ made me sympathize with Rey in a way that TFA didn't.

21. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    I personally felt more sorry for Rey in TLJ, but for me that was seperate from finding her likeable.

christophero30 likes this.
  22. Obironsolo

Obironsolo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 7, 2005
    Essentially, the ST is suggesting that potential is everything. Rey has the potential to be great, and thus, when given a chance, she is great. This is not how potential works. It's so messed up because he's trying to combat the midichlorian idea, that being strong in the force is biological, because philosophically, he thought that was in conflict with the idea that anyone can be a Jedi. Okay, well, I don't agree with that read of it, but let's say you do. Well the way Rey has been presented is much, much worse. In the new model presented by Johnson, there is no biological aspect at all, which supposedly opens it up for "nobodies". But then in the same breath, Rey requires practically no training or deep understanding of the force (we hear her explain it to Luke, and she understands nothing, less than any SW fan) in order to out-duel both Kylo Ren and Luke Skywalker. Ok, so we've dropped the biological aspect, but we've also dropped the spiritual, philosophical, mental aspect!!!! So even if you hated midichlorians, it's a zero sum game.

wobbits likes this.
  23. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    All of this is made worse by the fact that the midichlorians were truly benign inclusions that didn't really worsen or change anything.

Valairy Scot and wobbits like this.
  24. RiddleMeThis

Dec 7, 2017
    I think that Rey has passively used the Force all her life without truly understanding what it was. She has also been training herself in physical combat all her life. The things she managed to do were not totally unearned just because she did not have the privilege of learning from a proper teacher.

25. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    Yeah, just like she spent her whole life hypnotizing people, fighting the deadliest warriors in the galaxy and lifting several tons worth of rock via telekinesis.

wobbits likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.