main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Dal don't go crazy..Ric Flair is coming to G-Vegas

Discussion in 'Archive: Greenville, NC' started by Boba_Fett_of_Nine, Jul 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boba_Fett_of_Nine

Boba_Fett_of_Nine Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 3, 2003
    Tuesday August 3rd 6:00 pm at Walmart. I must confirm this but I've heard from several people. Man thats weird, seems like too big of a star to show up at a walmart...

2. Dal--Intrepid

Dal--Intrepid Jedi Master star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    He apparently had several Walmart signings lined up in Raleigh and Durham and then they were cancelled. Hopefully he will end up here. His book was awesome!

3. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    Couldn't find anything about it on the WWE.com site, but I found this at 1wrestling.com --

August 3rd - RIC FLAIR will be signing copies of his autobiography, ?To Be The Man,? beginning at 6:00 PM at Wal-Mart ? 210 Greenville Blvd. Greenville, NC. Call 252-355-2441.

4. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    Well I attended the Flair signing at Walmart last night. The paper estimated 600 people there, and I wouldn't disagree. Walmart is already a painful place to go with its crowds, but an extra 600 made it ridiculous. Still, everything seemed fairly organized and the line was handled smoothly. I got there around 5pm for a 6pm signing. He was around 20 minutes late, but you could definitely hear him arrive with the chorus of "Wooooo's!" that erupted when he got there. Once he got signing, the line moved pretty quickly. Unfortunately he was only signing his book (which I expected), but like most people I made a play to get some memorabilia signed to no avail. I also got a Polaroid with him as he signed my book and got to speak very briefly. I just mentioned watching him wrestle at the old Washington High School gym with Magnum TA and told him I enjoyed his book and DVD collection and was glad he talked so much about the Mid-Atlantic days. He laughed and mentioned that wrestling around here seemed like a lifetime ago, but is still some of his favorite times. For as brief as it was, it was still worth the wait. I've met Flair several times in the past, but always in social situations where I felt asking for an autograph would be tacky and he was been a gentleman to me everytime.

5. Boba_Fett_of_Nine

Boba_Fett_of_Nine Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 3, 2003
    I would have loved to have gone but no one else was going and being stuck for a ride. Plus I had stuff to do at home anyway, and then went bowling.

6. Jedi_Master_Kel

Jedi_Master_Kel Jedi Youngling star 3

May 13, 2002
    Congrats on the autograph Dal. Glad he's cool. I hate it when celebs get big heads, just ruins the experience of meeting them.

JMK

7. cinemafreak

cinemafreak Jedi Master star 4

May 13, 2002
    ask him if he's a Foley mark

8. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    I think the biggest Foley mark out there is Foley. I never understood the guy's appeal. If people just want somebody that'll throw themselves off of really high places, give me New Jack or Spike Dudley in ECW.

9. cinemafreak

cinemafreak Jedi Master star 4

May 13, 2002
    It never was his ability to take a beating, it was his ring psychology. His promos have been comical and intense and serious. He makes you believe. Flair is good at talking, but can't take you on a rollercoaster of emotions like Foley can. And besides, they've both had around the same amount of moves, so you can't even match their in ring work. Foley took too many risks, yes, but he has done more with less than Flair ever did.

10. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    Uh-oh. A Foley mark. Blinded by the Foley publicity machine and a fan of the underdog because nobody in the wrestling world has apparently had it any worse than Mick Foley - at least when he tells the story.

His promos have been comical and intense and serious. He makes you believe. Flair is good at talking, but can't take you on a rollercoaster of emotions like Foley can.

Seeing as how Foley gets stale every couple of years and he gets free license to play a new character so often, it's not surprising he has a wide range of promo skills. He's playing several different characters because whenever he is one thing for too long, he gets boring and gets to change. Flair has not changed in nearly 30 years. Whether he was heel or face, he was the same guy. And no emotion? What? The night he came back to reform the Horsemen in Greenville, SC? The intense promo he cut on Hogan and Nash about the history of the title after Nash laid down for Hogan? The night the Horsemen broke Dusty's leg? The crowd was so mad, the Horsemen could not leave the cage because the crowd was holding the door shut while fans climbed up the cage! His last promo on the last Nitro? Every promo he ever cut on Ricky Morton had the fans either steaming mad or hysterically laughing depending on who you liked.

And besides, they've both had around the same amount of moves, so you can't even match their in ring work.

I'm gonna assume that was a joke. Foley punches, kicks, carries a chair, and drops a double arm DDT. He learned the People's Elbow so he could steal some of the Rock's pop. After that, it's done. Unless falling off a cage is a move. Flair has an entire arsenal, which admittedly he doesn't get to use today because matches are limited to 10-15 minutes. He now sticks with his basic moveset and gets in his comedy spots. But look at any of his broadway matches with Sting, Steamboat, Windham, Morton, or anybody else. Flair has more moves in his pinkie finger than Foley has in his whole arsenal.

Foley took too many risks, yes, but he has done more with less than Flair ever did.

That I'll give you. Too many risks and more with less, but not more than Flair. To be as limited as he is, it's a testament that Foley ever amounted to more than a mid-card bruiser. But he isn't Flair and it's sad that he's so resentful about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.