main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"damn fool idealistic crusade"

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Hernalt, May 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Obi-wan already knew that Anakin went to Tatooine and by extention, the Council knew as well. What they didn't know was what happened with the Tusken Raiders. Only Padme, Owen, Beru, Cliegg, Threepio, Artoo, A'Shared Hett and Palpatine knew the whole truth. And so the Council and Obi-wan knew about the Lars. This is why Luke is allowed to go back with them. They are less likely to be looked at by the Empire, than the Naberrie family. Anyway, family is still family. Whether Owen felt as if he was forced to raise Luke or not, he is still family. Owen bonded with Shmi during the five years she was with them. There was no ill will between them and so with Luke being placed in their care, as far as they know, they are the only family that he has. This is why they take him in.

He raised Luke not out of some financial need, but out of family bonding. He expresses concern with Luke leaving which is the result of the bonds of attachment.

"It's very clear from the beginning here, that Luke's fate, even when the aunt and uncle are talking, is not to stay on the farm. A future that's just not in him, his destiny lies in a grander scheme of things. Even they know that. I mean they know it for other reasons, that we don't know about yet."

--George Lucas, ANH DVD Commentary.

Owen is afraid to lose Luke and because of where he lives on Tatooine and the state of the galaxy since the Clone Wars, Owen doesn't believe in the same things that Shmi and Anakin once did.

ANAKIN: "We have to help them, Mom... you said that the biggest problem in the universe is no one helps each other..."

Luke believes that as well and feels it in his bones, because it is the Force calling to him. Owen is afraid to lose Luke because he doesn't want to lose him like he has lost so many others. Once they die, though, Luke is free of his obligations to his family and is free to follow in his father's footsteps.

2. tonykart34

tonykart34 Jedi Youngling

Sep 17, 2009

3. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I'm going to through this out there and it's a little crazy...

According to EU Owen is Ben's brother. Maybe he's just jealous he couldn't go off and be a jedi and got stuck staying on Coruscant so he holds the whole thing against the Jedi. First Obi-Wan and then Anakin both from Tatoonie. Just a thought.

4. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Owen is not Ben's brother in current EU or film canon.

5. xx_Anakin_xx

xx_Anakin_xx Jedi Master star 4

Jan 9, 2008
    Facts changed, throughout the OT so I don't really see how it could all line up neat as a sheet anyway. No, Darth Vader was not a young Jedi who hunted down, betrayed and murdered Anakin Skywalker. No not even from a certain point of view - pragmatically - except retcon. The Clone Wars as evolved can't really be summed up by Owen as a 'damn fool idealistic crusade', unless Owen thought the Republic in force at that time had some idealistic goal in fighting that particular war, which is possible. But I get the feeling that at the time ANH was scripted, Owen was referring to the Jedi overall in their idealistic crusades in general and Anakin was a part of that independent of what particular war effort or adventure he participated in - for the Republic or otherwise. Going off with Obi-Wan I would imagine referred to going off with the Jedi in general, not specific to Obi-Wan in particular.

6. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    The reference to "hunt down" was helped the Empire hunt down and destroy the Jedi Knights... which did happen.
    ( And he was young. )

7. Nordom

Nordom Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2004
    But in AotC when Anakin leaves Tatooine, the republic is about to be attacked by the huge droid army of the separatists. So the republic is basically trying to defend itself from an attacker. Why is it very idealistic to just defend your home? The separatists were planing to overwhelm the jedi and make the senate do whatever they wanted. In essence it sounds like they planed to simply conquer the repulic. What did Owen expect Anakin to do here? The republic, of which he is a part, is about to get attacked and Owen thinks he should just leave all his friends and people he has known for years to fend for themselves?

Anakins friend and mentor was about to get killed and Owen wants Anakin to just let him die and stay on Tatooine? What would Anakin had done if he stayed in AotC? Throw away his lightsaber and become a farmer?

Owen must not think too much of duty and responsibility.

Regards
    Nordom

8. tonykart34

tonykart34 Jedi Youngling

Sep 17, 2009
    TLJ Edit: I know I'm getting bored

9. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001

Agreed. If someone showed up at your door with a baby and no explanation of its origins, would you just take it? I'm sure Owen took Luke because of the family ties.

10. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001

Might I suggest reading the TOS? o_O

11. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    I don't think you can take anything Obi-wan is telling Luke at face value. It's all part of the yarn he was spinning. Chances are, Owen said none of those things that Obi-wan mentioned.

12. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    I don't think you can take anything Obi-wan is telling Luke at face value. It's all part of the yarn he was spinning.
    Or his recollections are screwy. In the PT, there are a couple cases where his recall of things didnt jive with Anakins, heh.

13. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    THIS.

This is basically spot on. Excellent posts darth-sinister =D= :-B

14. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Tonycart34, welcome to the phenomena whereby a certain secondary reality, a certain exercise in suspended disbelief, creates such a pressure and emotional cathexis upon the consumer that its problems and unanswered questions tug at the synapse with the gravitational pull of a small freight train wrapped around your foot. Feel free to not grant Star Wars, classic or recent, that much control over your time and thoughts.

With respect to the concerns in the opening post, I stand by the auteur, and by the auteur's right to dictate conditions in his own universe, whether or not I believe in them or find that they do not strongly agree with observed behavior in the universe I perceive. Evidence was brought forth that Lucas has Yoda say that Owen |is| Luke's family, whether or not I personally find that at odds with what small education I have received in terms of evolutionary psychology, Hamilton's Rule, paternal investment, violence in step-families, etc etc. IF Owen |is| Luke's family, then Owen Does have sufficient reason to find that Luke's father had gone off on an "idealistic crusade", whatever that means to whoever is counting. I'm not required to agree with any of it, but as consumer it is incumbent upon me to search out at least some nominal explanation using in-universe data or phenomena. The arguments as presented by the posters may not be the final word - there may be a finer, damningly compelling reason for Ben Kenobi to have said this line which does not involve paternity and biological family status. But what has been offered is about as obvious or searchable as can be for this decade.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.