Amph DAMN THE GODS: Clash of the Titans & Wrath of the Titans

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by black_saber, Jun 7, 2009.

1. black_saber Force Ghost

star 4
    Its going to be about Greek Mythology and its Release is going to be that Of March 26th 2010. Ralpeh Finnes and Liam Nesson are going to be in the film. I have a feeling this movie is going to be as big as 300.

Whats your guys input about the upcoming movie?
  2. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    Good cast, and Kasdan is generally a good scriptwriter:

Directed by
    Louis Leterrier

Writing credits
    Lawrence Kasdan (screenplay)

Travis Beacham draft script
    John Glenn writer
    Phil Hay writer
    Matt Manfredi writer

Cast

Sam Worthington ... Perseus

Liam Neeson ... Zeus

Ralph Fiennes ... Hades

Gemma Arterton ... Io

Alexa Davalos ... Andromeda
    Danny Huston ... Poseidon

Jason Flemyng ... Acrisius

Mads Mikkelsen ... Draco

Nicholas Hoult ... (rumored)

Izabella Miko ... Athena

Pete Postlethwaite ... (rumored)

Tamer Hassan ... God of War (rumored)
    Hans Matheson ... Ixas
  3. black_saber Force Ghost

star 4
    Man this movie is going to be big!![face_dancing]
  4. Merlin_Ambrosius69 Force Ghost

star 5
    Okay. Let me get a grip on myself here. The very idea of a CLASH remake is, at face value, deeply offensive to my person. The 1981 film is a near-perfect masterpiece, a gemstone of truth and beauty from my childhood, an afternoon lark spent humming the theme music and idly swishing my gray plastic sword through the air, pretending to be riding Pegasus... now suddenly subject to the whims of a capricious 21st-century Hollywood! An illicit crap-factory which harbors a known penchant for pandering to the masses, dumbing down intelligent material, and has a spotty track record on a. remakes and b. fantasy films. My inner child and my subconscious warn me: This cannot be a good thing.

Oh, but wait... Lawrence Kasdan is writing it? Or at least polishing the work of four other guys? Hmmm. Eh? You say Liam "Awesome" Neeson plays Zeus in this mother-scratcher? Well, that's certainly an interesting turn of events, isn't it? And Ralph Fiennes. Who does he play? Hades? Look, man, Hades wasn't even in Clash of the Titans! It's a non-part! But now you mention it, he could be an intriguing addition to the cast.

And wait, okay, Mads Mikkelssen is playing someone named "Draco"? You'd think they'd tap him for Calabos, but I don't even see Calabos' name in the cast list, and after all he was a screenwriter's invention.... Ooh, and look: it's directed by Louis Letterier, who made that 2008 under-performer, The Incredible Hulk. He certainly has a way with action scenes, and a sure hand with romance from what I can see. I like his style.

And last, Sam Worthington as Perseus... he was pretty freaking terrific in Terminator 4, apparently made a killer Macbeth, he's in James Cameron's upcoming Avatar, and he certainly looks the part....

Alright, alright, alright, alright! I'll give this thing a go. But I don't have to be happy about it. [face_not_talking]
  5. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    I've never been able to sit through the original...Laurance Olivier, when he's campy, is a tough sell.

However, I loved "Sons of Hercules" movies when little, so I somewhat understand.
  6. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    The original is almost unwatchable terrible cheese. I welcome something that is not over the top kitsch.
  7. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    I assume it may be more like "300" than the original, though I could be wrong.
  8. somethingfamiliar Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    "We need a Greek mythology movie, stat! Are there any old Greek mythology movies people already know the title of?"
  9. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
  10. Merlin_Ambrosius69 Force Ghost

star 5
    It's nothing of the kind. It takes itself seriously, is beautifully made, and has drama, genuine humor (not camp!) and pathos to spare. It's superior in terms of entertainment level and cinematic aplomb to almost any other fantasy film of the 70s - 90s you care to name. It's one of my favorite films, not purely for nostalgic reasons but also because I find it imminently re-watchable as an adult.

Maybe this is a generational thing, and if you're born after 1980 you can't see past the stop-motion animation and discern the gem of fantasy filmmaking that this movie is, owing to visuals you think are "cheesy" and "kitschy", when at the time of its release it was a state-of-the-art masterpiece. In my heart and mind, it still is and always shall be.
  11. black_saber Force Ghost

star 4
    Don't Forget, we have prince of Perisa coming out and its about Perisan Mythology too.

It looks like its going to be a good movie!
  12. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    That title makes me think of "Prince of Egypt" (not happily).
  13. black_saber Force Ghost

star 4
    My senses are Prince of Perisa is going be pretty good. Thank god Owe boll is not directing it. I hope I am right about this movie! [face_praying]

Anyways back to the titans.
  14. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 8
  15. black_saber Force Ghost

star 4
    Hey I am Jewish and I know it was good I just wanted to talk about Clash of the titans :p
  16. Merlin_Ambrosius69 Force Ghost

star 5
    I'm still wondering who this "Draco" fellow is as played by Mikkelsen, and how they're going to fit Hades (Fiennes) into the story.
  17. Ghost Chosen One

star 6

SOLD
  18. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    I donno about Ralph as Hades. Like, at all. If Ralph plays him the way he usually plays "bad" characters, it's not gonna even be remotely like Hades, who's basically a giant coward most of the time instead of some menacing psychopath who delights in hurting people.
  19. Merlin_Ambrosius69 Force Ghost

star 5
    Well, he is, you know, an actor. He can probably pull it off. :p
  20. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    I know, I know. I just got the feeling he's being hired to play the lord of the underworld because people mainly associate him with scary, and that Hades is going to be a lame Satan ripoff in this.

Which Hades isn't. Like, at all.
  21. Merlin_Ambrosius69 Force Ghost

star 5
    He's played a variety of roles, some essentially heroic (Constant Gardner, English Patient), some romantic (Maid in Manhattan), some villainous (Harry Potter 4-8, Schindler's List), and at least one (The Duchess, opposite Keira Knightley) in which he is cowardly, wimpy and generally unpleasant, but not maliciously eeeee-villlll. We should not infer the nature of this new character based on a couple of well-known villains he's played in the past.

It seems to me this one might play closer to the original mythology than the 1981 version, so that at least is cause to anticipate it.
  22. black_saber Force Ghost

star 4
    I wonder if there going to be a sequel to this movie if it does well! There so much Story to tell in greek mythology.
  23. Merlin_Ambrosius69 Force Ghost

star 5
    Few people liked Troy, perhaps in part because it toned down the mythic element in favor of a pseudo-historical retelling, without the prophecies, the comments and intercessions of the gods, and the general magical feeling associated with the poem.

The Odyssey is ripe for a new film version, as are Jason and any version of Hercules you care to tackle. Beyond that, Greek myth is overripe with great stories and characters -- Bellepheron, Theseus, Daedalus & Icarus, Peleus & Thetis, etc. etc. Any one of them would make fine fodder for a 21st century fantasy film/sequel to CLASH.
  24. Nadia-Oomia Force Ghost

star 4
    Wow! Their making a new one? Man if its as half as good as the original it's going to be great! And with Liam Neeson too.
  25. black_saber Force Ghost

star 4