main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph DAMN THE GODS: Clash of the Titans & Wrath of the Titans

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by black_saber, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    I'm hoping they go through with this film version, speaking of such. :p [face_praying]

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    New Trailer posted online yesterday. Oddly enough, I saw the crappier first trailer for the first time with Avatar.

This new one is much better- it uses the epic metal/fantasy synergy much better. I;m glad to see them trying this approach as it's something that really needs to make a comback. I hope the actual movie uses that musical approach- whereas 300's score was a mixture of metal and Gladiator, Clash of the Titans could be metal meets Flash Gordon (80's). :cool:

3. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    A metal version of what Queen did with Flash Gordon would be phenomenal. I used to imagine a Metallica score for Moorcock's Elric of Melnibone series (an epic film of which would be awesome); heavy metal and fantasy lend themselves well to one another, and it's time some b*llsy director capitalized on this.

4. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Clash of the titans just got moved to the release date of April 2 and its going to be released in 2D and 3D

5. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    This movie just looks and sounds worse and worse. Even as a sucker for fantasy films I'm having trouble mustering any enthusiasm anymore.

6. black_saber

Apr 4, 2002
    Are you guys sure this movie is going to suck???

7. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Nope! And I sure hope it doesn't.

8. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    It's rather hard to tell by the trailer.

9. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    It's part of the whole "Avatar has ruined everything" phenomenon. If Clash does well on top of Avatar and Alice doing well, then e'll never see another major effect-heavy action adventure sci fi or fantasy film that isn't released in 3D, at least for a few years until studios establish whether it's a trend that audiences can grow weary of or a long-term paradigm shift in summer blockbusters.

10. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    It looks mediocre; the trailer isn't doing anything to make it look like anything other than a thoroughly generic CGI-action cash-in. If the most distinctive you can make your movie is a shot of a CGI-shiny, terribly-bearded Liam Neeson shouting "RELEASE THE KRAKEN!", well, your high point isn't very high.

11. black_saber

Apr 4, 2002
    Movie is coming out in two weeks.

12. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
  13. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I'll go see it eventually, but in 2-D. The closest theater with 3-D is an hour and a half away from me, and i'd take to pay a bridge toll as well, which isn't in my budget right now.

14. Aiel

Aiel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Great movie, (I saw it in 3D first this morning,) a few pros and cons:

<<<<<Spoilers ahoy>>>>>

Pros:

SAM WORTHINGTON as PERSEUS: seriously, no other actor in Hollywood could have filled this role, he was impressive, calm, got to keep his accent, kicked serious butt and made me like him even more. (A bit patriotic here, but we Australian's are very, very proud of Sam, he's come a long way.)

LIAM NESSON as ZEUS: Can anyone say, perfect casting? (This is right up on my list along Morgan Freeman as God in Bruce Almighty and Liam as Aslan in the Chronicles of Narnia.) Liam's soft, beautiful Irish brogue can switch from being gentle and wise, to being absolute fury. His roar about releasing the Kraken gave me shivers. Fatherly and just...well he's Liam and we love him, right?

3D EFFECT: Less dizzying then AVATAR, its really good in 3D, the opening credits and the view of the starry heavens is like being in a virtual observatory, pretty, not as groundbreaking as AVATAR, but this one is absolutely worth seeing in 3D. (Unlike Alice in Wonderland, which is just as good in 2D.) That said, you'll still like it in 2D.

(Also, the little time we actually get to see the Gods, <addressed below,> they're mighty impressive and shiny.[face_hypnotized] >

Cons:

I could have watched this movie for more than two hours, they tried to condense the story into 1hr 46min, which any thoughts about the amount of editing makes me a little curious, I wonder what they were trying to accomplish because seriously, if this is trying to set up for a sequel, what are they going to address in the said sequel? Curious.

The Kraken (is from Norse mythology, not Greek, Hades did not create him,) could have been a little more impressive, not by much but it was 3D, I wanted a little more from the movement, one of his big tenticles lashing out of the screen, it didn't happen unfortunately.

The fight scenes were good, but there could have been a lot more, I'm really saddened this wasn't longer, WB can turn out some good movies, they could have done a lot more with this film.

The GODS: They and Mount Olympus looked divine <lol> but we only get to see Zeus or Hades the majority of the time, Ares (Greek God of War,) puts in a very brief appearance, (damn it, this is a war between man and Gods, shouldn't he be involved a little more heavily?) as does Poseidon (God of the seas,) whom I really, really wanted to stir up the oceans and cause some havoc, again this didn't happen.

Actors: 9/10
    Dialogue: 7/10
    Effects: 9/10
    Script: 6/10

Overall: 8/10. Absolutely worth seeing. (Just try to control the level of disappointment you'll feel from the running time,)

This movie could have been great, but fell a little less than flat because of the heavy editing that really shows on screen.

15. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Just got in from Clash of the Titans. Fun movie. It could have been longer, it looked and felt like the movie that Troy should have been.

16. black_saber

Apr 4, 2002
    Just saw the movie yesterday and it looks like judging by the ending there might be a sequel coming up.

17. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    Apparently the film evolved dramatically in post-production and the Gods were the biggest casualty. There is supposed to be far more with them then what appears in the final product.

18. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    Wasn't bad. Had all the cheesy effects I expected.

19. itchytasty79

itchytasty79 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 2, 2001
    Question for those who saw the film: Is the new Clash of the Titans really a revenge story? I had a chance to see the film this weekend and passed it up based on the review of a friend whom I trust. I decided to save my money and watch the original again. Hadn't seen it since about 1985.

His review was something like this: The effects were awesome. The movie was a lot of fun. But I couldn't relate to the character of Perseus like I did in the original. I realized why later: In the original, Perseus was a young man out on an adventure. He falls in love and continues adventuring to save the girl. The new one basically has Perseus mad at the gods for hurting him personally. He goes on adventures out of revenge to get back at the gods. He said that he had no empathy for the character.

Based on this info, I decided to save my money and see it on DVD. Anyone think I made a mistake? Why? Could you relate to Perseus? Why or why not?

20. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Big, dumb film. A bit of fun, not as much as I hoped. Plus, the CGI sucked!

Review: http://jeditrilobite.wordpress.com/2010/04/13/the-clash-of-the-titans/

21. black_saber

Apr 4, 2002
    CGI Sucked agreed, but it at least had more story. I was not that thrilled that this movie was coming out. I mean I was but I wanted it to be more Epic. But I do say its better than percy olyimpian.

22. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I think saying it had a story is a stretch.

23. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    Definitely more revenge. He's just angry.

24. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    The new movie: Boobo? Yes or no?

25. black_saber

Apr 4, 2002
    If this movie comes out on Extended edition hopefully on DVD it will be alot better. He as in the director did say something like that in interviews. Problem was he edited too much good stuff from the movie. Lord of the rings trilogy in original release was not nearly as good but when it hit Extended edition, Boom much better.

These kind of movies, Fantasy, Sci-fi, and historical are much better on DVD Extended then they are in original release. Not always but sometimes.

I heard Alexander was much better on Directors cut. The longer version.