main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Damsel in Distress! Anyone know anything about the Amish?

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by Zasio, Jan 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jade Skyhiker

Jade Skyhiker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2000
    More stuff:

Teaching about another culture: The Old Order Amish
    The Social Studies; Washington; Jul/Aug 1996; Ediger, Marlow;

Volume: 87
    Issue: 4
    Start Page: 161
    ISSN: 00377996
    Subject Terms: Teaching
    Philosophy
    Education
    Amish culture

Abstract:
    By studying the customs of the Old Order Amish people, pupils can compare their own culture and values with those of a different minority group. Ediger provides information on Old Order Amish education, philosophy, social studies education, the consciences of the Old Order Amish and teaching about the Old Order Amish students.

Elementary-aged pupils in our public schools need to study how other cultures in our society meet their needs. For example, the Amish represent another culture that functions well in our society. By studying the customs of the Old Order Amish, pupils can compare their own culture and values with those of a different minority group.

Near Bloomfield, Iowa, there are five one-room Old Order Amish schools with two teachers and approximately thirty pupils in each building. On a typical school day, there are four to five carriages or buggies on the school grounds. When the weather is pleasant, two or three of the buggies have no enclosed tops. A horse barn is nearby to house the Kentucky thoroughbreds that pull the buggies. An outdoor pump, hand-operated, provides drinking and washing water for pupils. A playground for playing softball is also on the school grounds. Two outdoor privies, one for the boys and the other for the girls, are located near the fence that separates the school grounds from the pasture or tillable farm land. In winter, many students bring their ice skates to school so that they can skate on the nearby creek.

Some Characteristics of an Old Order Amish Education

Old Order Amish teachers may write on the chalkboard for as long as five minutes, with their backs turned to their pupils, and still the students keep working on school tasks with no disturbances. The young people know that their parents expect them to be well behaved at all times, including during their time in school. Amish pupils are not aggressive; in fact, they are quiet, passive, and willing to respond to questions and directions from the teacher.

A very close relationship exists between the home and school. When Amish parents are asked how they rear their children, most respond with the proverb: "Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old, he will not depart from that way." Parents tend to model good behavior. On my visits to Amish schools, I saw no evidence of physical punishment, nor did I notice teachers rebuking pupils for misbehavior. It almost appears as if each pupil has a "built-in something" for being diligent. Parents present the pupils with the powerful example of their work ethic.

The absence of electricity in classrooms rules out the use of audiovisual aids with the students. Audiovisuals would violate the Amish commandment prohibiting "engraven images." There is a telephone in each of the five elementary schools, and it is used by the Amish patrons in the area. The phone numbers for these schools, however, are not listed in the Bloomfield, Iowa, telephone directory.

The Philosophy of the Old Order Amish

The Old Order Amish have basic beliefs that provide direction and guidance for life and living. The Amish have a long history, going back to 1697, when Jacob Amman identified major values within the Old Order Amish fold. After reviewing the tenets of the Amish, I compiled the following list to summarize some of their beliefs.

1. The Amish do not believe in receiving money from the government. They believe in helping each other. Old Order Amish have a good social security system because immediate help is available from their own parishioners when disaster strikes. For example, when a large barn is destroyed, a new one is put up by Amish men in one or two days, with the women providing food for the workers.

2. The Amish do not participate in wars. When their young men w

2. Zasio

Zasio Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 22, 2000
    Oh wow! Thank-you so so much!! You're so very helpful! :D

3. Jade Skyhiker

Jade Skyhiker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2000
    np

I do this stuff all the time.

Oh, and do you prefer the articles as just plain text, or as .pdf format (prints them out how they are displayed in the actual magazines/journals) You need adobe acrobat reader tho...

4. Mitt

Mitt Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 10, 1999
    We should help Zas with her homework because shes so cute!!!!!!!

5. Ric Olie's Hairdresser

Ric Olie's Hairdresser Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 1999
    In the 1971 case Wisconsin v. Yoder, the Supreme Court allowed Amish parents to take their children out of school before high school. The court held that the Amish need for their children on the farms and the Amish desire to raise their children in a certain manner outweighed the state's interest in compulsory education.

ps: remember that awesome episode of Mr. Belvedere where Kevin fell in love with an Amish chick and he was ready to become Amish for her?

6. Endermunkee

Endermunkee Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2000
  7. Zasio

Zasio Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 22, 2000
    Aww, Mitt . . . :)

I don't need help with that anymore, though. Now I need help with Anton Szandor LaVey . . . (well, not really . . . I'm just sifting through legends-trying to find the truth, now . . . )

8. Pyrus

Pyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 13, 1998
    ReligiousTolerance.org, has a good summary of Amish belief's.

They also have quite a bit of info on LeVay & The Church of Satan. Here's their summary of the Church of Satan, and you can search here for LeVay and get a bunch of articles that mention him.

Good luck, I hope you don't have to make a presentation this time. :D

9. Zasio

Zasio Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 22, 2000
    Finished with the Amish stuff . . . I do have to do a presentationyish thing on LaVey, though . . . I think it'll be fun, though. :)

I hate writing things more, now! I've become such a perfectionist and it takes me no less than an eternity just to do an itty bitty bit. *sniffle*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.