main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Dancing in Pescopine Bay (Pre-ESB Han/Leia with some Luke) UPDATED 07/03/03

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by LadyPadme, Mar 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002
    Disclaimer: All characters in the Star Wars universe are sole property of George Lucas. Just borrowing from his creations for entertainment purposes; i.e. George owns the playground and I'm just playing in the sandbox.

A/N: I don't have much of this written and it may be quite a while before I get to update, but I am posting this as a small protest to having the boards split. I know we live in a democracy, and I totally agree with majority rule. I just don't have to like it. Anyway, want this story to be on this board so I can keep posting here if I chose. I may move this story later, depending on how the new boards go.

- This is a prequel to Of Spies and Sabacc and In Love and War .

Hope you enjoy!

2. LadyPadme

Sep 26, 2002

Dancing in Pescopine Bay

Chapter One

Princess Leia Organa leaned back in her seat as the shuttle launched. Another successful mission completed. The Alliance now had a new ally in the Corporate Sector with the addition of the Galdrooine system. The Galdrooines were reputed to be fierce fighters and implacable enemies, and having discovered through the evidence Leia brought that the Empire had disenfranchised them of trillions in credits and resources, the Galdrooines were more than ready to sign the Corellian Treaty.

Leia closed her eyes as the sky changed from cerulean blue to the deep black as the shuttle escaped Galadrooine?s atmosphere into the cold depths of space. She should be celebrating, and feeling jubilant, but instead, Leia only felt tired and discouraged. What was the point of all of this? Just one job after another, and the Alliance was still on the run, still without a permanent base, still perpetually strapped for cash and resources.

?We?ve just made the jump into hyperspace, your Highness,? the pilot announced over the intercom. ?We should be reaching Lightning in twenty-two standard hours. Perhaps you may want to get some rest for a while. We?ll be serving breakfast at 0:800 Standard hours.?

Leia unstrapped herself from her seat and moved to the back of the shuttle where her small stateroom was located. She closed the door behind herself and lay down on the small bed. She kicked her boots off and turned to her side, curling her legs up into fetal position.

?Crying won?t help,? she whispered to herself. ?Crying won?t bring anyone back.?

But this time, the mantra didn?t work. The tears started to spill down her cheeks. It was impossible for her to tell herself to be strong or to be brave. She had to allow herself the luxury of crying this one day. As her calendar told her, this was the one-year anniversary of the destruction of Alderaan. No matter how hard she tried to shut the images out of her mind, she kept seeing her father, her friends, the beautiful Royal Palace on Aldera, the lovely cities and the pastoral countryside of her home planet. The distinctive architecture and artwork of the planet. The rare plants. All lost in one laser blast.

What hurt worse was that the real madman pulling the trigger had not been brought to justice, and in Leia?s despair, she wondered if the Emperor would ever pay for all the crimes and atrocities he had committed in the last two decades.

Leia closed her eyes, giving in to the melancholy memories that insisted on invading her thoughts. For Alderaan, this day she would remember.

Twenty-two hours later, Leia?s shuttle landed in the docking bay of the Mon Calamari cruiser Lightning. Composed but still appearing tired, Leia emerged from the shuttle where she was met by Bel Garm Iblis, the former Senator of Corellia, and one of the leaders of the Alliance.

?Congratulations on a successful mission, your Highness,? Iblis said, as he came forward and gave Leia a kiss on her cheek. ?Unfortunately, I must also add my condolences on the anniversary of Alderaan?s??

?Thank you,? Leia said, crisply. ?I appreciate it.?

?Why don?t you get some rest in your quarters, and we can go over your debriefing over lunch in the officers? lounge.?

?Thank you,? Leia replied. She picked up her small bag and headed toward the corridor beyond the docking bay.

As she rounded the corner, Leia collided with a tall shag rug, ?Umph!? Leia gasped. ?Watch where you?re going!?

A Wookiee bark greeted her back as Chewbacca?s long, furry arms reached forward to engulf her in a hug. ?Hi, Chewbacca,? Leia said, smiling a little as she disengaged herself from the Wookiee?s embrace.

?Princess.? This came from the tall Corellian man who stood slightly behind Chewbacca.

Leia looked up and her expression became scornful. The last time she had seen Han, they had not parted on amicable terms: Leia had asked Han to help her with her mission to Galdrooine, and Han had declined, say

3. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    Dutifully reporting in, LadyPadme. :D Well done as always. I shall patiently await updates, whenever they may appear. :)

4. LovelyLea

LovelyLea Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 17, 2001
    YEA!!! I can hardly wait for more! :)

5. Puggy

Puggy Jedi Master star 3

Oct 1, 2002
    Woohoo, a new Han/Leia fic! I can't wait for more, LadyPadme. Loved Han's comment about Leia being cold, heehee. :)

6. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Woman, you are prolific writer. How do you do it with a little one? *bows to LP's greatness*

7. DarthMasan

DarthMasan Jedi Master star 3

Sep 20, 2002
    so this is before OSAS? Count me in!
    DM
    UPPERS!

8. crystalrain

crystalrain Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    *agrees with Puggy and RebelMom*

A new H/L fic! :) :D

9. Silver_Solo

Silver_Solo Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 13, 2002
    (think Cameron from Ferris Bueller's Day off)

Lady Padme--You're my hero!

:D

Seriously. I don't know how you continuly just chuck out these fics! It's awesome. And a prequel to OSAS---A DREAM COME TRUE! [face_love]

Great start by the way. This just makes my night, it really does!

10. Sologal

Sologal Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 21, 2000
    Nice start, LadyPadme. I'll definitely be keeping my eye on this one. :)

11. crystalrain

Jan 28, 2003
    *whispers*

Up

*sneaks away*

12. DarthMasan

DarthMasan Jedi Master star 3

Sep 20, 2002
    *grabs a megaphone*
    UP
    jeje maybe they didnt hear Crystalrain... ;)
    DM

13. crystalrain

Jan 28, 2003
    up.

more? 8-}

14. LadyPadme

Sep 26, 2002
    Yes, everyone, I did warn you it would be a while before I could update...but thanks to everyone who's checked in so far!

Gabri_Jade: Sweetie! How lovely to see you!

LovelyLea: * giggles * more is coming!

Puggy: I knew you'd love that part with Han. It's funny, but when I write something especially H/L-ish, I can always picture your reaction. (I showed Gabri_Jade a short segment from Chapter 75 of In Love and War and we both agreed it's gonna make you pop a gasket... [face_devil] )

RebelMom: Well...I'm not that prolific or I'd be able to post faster on this...but thanks!!

DarthMasan: 1...2...3...4...okay, you're counted in!!

crystalrain: Glad you're looking forward to this!

Silver_Solo: (think Cameron from Ferris Bueller's Day off)

Lady Padme--You're my hero!

* giggles * I loved that movie!!

Sologal: Glad to have you along for the ride!!

15. LadyPadme

Sep 26, 2002
    Chapter Two

?Congratulations on a successful mission,? Garm Bel Iblis said over lunch in the officer?s mess hall.

?Thank you,? Leia replied, as she speared her Nakitar star fruit with her trident and took a bite of the sharply sour fruit.

?How are you doing otherwise?? Bel Iblis asked. He was a tall man approaching late middle age with a sprinkling of white in his otherwise dark hair. Among his followers he was known affectionately as ?The Commander?. Along with Bail Organa and Mon Mothma, Bel Iblis was one of the original three architects of the Corellian Treaty that established the Rebel Alliance. Since the destruction of Alderaan, he had taken special care with Leia, treating her gently as a father would a grieving daughter. Leia was aware of Bel Iblis? special regard and was always very grateful to him for the concern he showed her.

Leia knew very well that Bel Iblis was asking her in an oblique way about how she was coping on this, the first anniversary of the destruction of Alderaan. In truth, she wasn?t coping well at all, but she had already indulged in one good cry. She was instinctively afraid that allowing herself to grieve any more would be dangerous?paralyzing, even. She had to be strong or she knew would no longer be effective at what she did.

?Please, Commander,? Leia said, forestalling his next remarks. ?I?m very grateful for your concern, but I?I?m coping. I can?t say I?m fine with it. I?m not even sure that overthrowing the Empire and having the Emperor?s head before me would make me feel better. It was all just a damned, senseless waste?a monstrous, heinous act. The only thing I can do is to do my work, and to atone for the loss.?

?Atone? Listen, I was at your debriefing. There was nothing you did wrong, and nothing you could have done to prevent Alderaan?s destruction. The Emperor is a madman and Tarkin was no better. They would have destroyed Alderaan even if you led them straight to Yavin.? Bel Iblis paused for a few seconds. He saw the stony, recalcitrant look on Leia?s face and saw that she was not convinced. ?I see my words are falling on deaf ears?so, since you say you feel better working, what would you say if I asked you to undertake another mission??

Leia looked up dully, without any gleam of interest in her eyes. She felt, with a pang in her heart, that nothing could ever interest her again. The old mantras she had been taught about duty rose in her mind, not allowing her to refuse, even though, with every bone in her body, Leia just wanted to hide away like a beaten animal and try to lick her wounds and let herself heal.

?What?s the mission?? Leia asked.

?We?re having trouble with our old supplier for ionium fuel,? Bel Iblis said. ?Apparently, the Empire showed up on Takbin and has been putting pressure on the Consortium to account for every liter of fuel that passes through their hands.?

Visions of the Rebel Alliance?s old, motley, mismatched fleet of Mon Calamari cruisers, Bothan attack ships, re-cobbled Kuati assault ships, Corellian freighters and X-and Y-wing fighters grounded and rusting in the various, scattered temporary bases around the Galaxy rose to haunt Leia. ?How much??

?We probably have enough fuel to last for the next three months,? Bel Iblis answered. ?Maybe four if we?re careful, but we need to find a new source of fuel, soon.?

?And you have a place in mind??

Bel Iblis smiled. ?I?m not sending you on a wild sha?ak chase, your Highness. I have a source that has informed me that there is a market for ionium on Zalopine. Apparently, it was part of the Consortium until six months ago, when, for some unknown reason, the Zalopini pulled out. In any case, since they?re out of the Consortium, they?re as good a bet as any as a new fuel source.?

?Zalopine. Zalopine,? Leia tried to remember what she knew of the planet. An old memory stirred. ?Isn?t that a resort planet out in the Corporate Sector??

?Yes. It?s mainly known for its resort islands, along its equator but the poles are mainly industrial complexes used for mining the ion

16. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    I'm beginning to think that you secretly enjoy torturing Han in one way or another. ;) Leia's going to a bit surprised to see Han on her mission.

I still think you write fast( and with quality). I'm still staring at 2 fic outlines that I finished 2 months ago. Just need to start writing. *RM goes looking for her missing muse.*

17. crystalrain

Jan 28, 2003
    [face_laugh] I thought that might happen ;)

It's good to see this updated :D

18. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    *agrees with RebelMom and crystalrain* Very nicely done. I can't wait to see Han's reaction when Leia and Luke show up. Not that I can't already visualize it... :D

19. Puggy

Puggy Jedi Master star 3

Oct 1, 2002
    Ahaha... Sucks for Han!

*Ahem* I can't wait to see his reaction to having to chauffer Luke and Leia across the galaxy, as usual! I think it was clever how you got it to happen that way, though. In the end, of course, it will all be for the best, because I'm hoping you will find some way to get Han and Leia "alone together..." :)

Keep it up, LadyPadme!

20. Miska

Miska Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 18, 2002
    awww LP you know I love your work!! Will this be updated regularly from now on? :)

21. RogueSticks

RogueSticks Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 15, 2003
    Ok now there's just no excuse for me missing a fic on this board. I've missed several on teh Beyond the Sage board...but here. ::bashes head into wall for self-punishment:: Bad me! I can't believe I missed this. I really am upset with myself.
    Anywho, ::points at han and laughs:: ahhhaha!
    Good stuff LP. As always. The title alone has me all squirmy with anticipation.

22. KatarnLead

KatarnLead Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 5, 2002
    heh. :D

'nuff said. Good work! :D

23. Sunshine

Sunshine Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 15, 2003
    Yay, it's a new fic! And H/L!

Man, I am such an addict.

'Tis lovely, LP... although neither are going to be too thrilled to be working with one another (at least, not outwardly).

Man, everyone is always trying to match those two up! It's hysterical!

*inches away as everyone stares at her* Alright, alright, I'm goin'...

24. Sologal

Sologal Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 21, 2000
    Ut oh, I smell trouble. I can see the sparks flying already. ;)

25. Kirana

Kirana Jedi Master star 2

Nov 13, 1999
    Ooh, ooh! H&L! H&L!

*Kirana pulls up a bean bag*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.