main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Dante's Inferno

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by moosemousse, Jan 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I had a quick search but I couldn't find a thread on this, so I thought I'd start one.

The Official Site.

I can't remember where I first saw this, but I watched a few of the videos somewhere and it looked really interesting. The more I watched the more excited I became. Gameplay wise it looks a lot like God Of War: Chains Of Olympus, which is no bad thing as I loved that.

Is anyone else excited for this?

2. Grand Admiral Strife

Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 21, 2001
    Played the demo on XBOX LIVE. Plays well I think.

Will I pick it up? At some point, Maulfly just got Darksiders tonight (think apocalyptic Devil May Cry) and I'm picking up ME2 next week.

3. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    No. This game is absolutely atrocious.

Not only is it an enormous GoW rip off (and I don't mean just in the way it plays, but the control/layout and even certain elements of the story feel very ripped off...and yes, I know Dante's is based off the story), but it's just bad. Plays horribly and the graphics are sad. The CGI/cutscene graphics are great, some of the best...but the game graphics are pitiful.

I was very excited for this game, having followed it for over a year, but after the demo (and after jumping into the God of War III demo) this game is just bad. Very bad.

4. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    I played the demo and it looks all right, but I've never played GoW so can't judge.

Bad timing though, between Mass Effect 2 and ST:eek:nline I think this one will have to wait. [face_thinking]

5. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    The bad timing is releasing a God of War clone a month before God of War 3. I can't see it selling well at all.

6. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    There's only so much you can do with the number of buttons. Most of the PC FPS games I play have the same basic controls, so I don't see that as being a bad thing. But then if they used a completely different setup how many people would have said that the controls are weird?

I've only played Chains of Olympus so I can't say how the stories compare, but to me Dante's vision of Hell doesn't seem all that similar to Greek mythology.

7. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    Like you said, you only played Chains so you can't compare. The similarities are more of a "man scorned, woman killed, must get revenge, boobs, blood, death, epic button mashing boss battles, more boobs, more blood".

God of War did it better in GoW I&II and I will say GOWIII. Like Reynar said, bad timing is releasing a [subpar]GoW clone a month before GoW III is released.

8. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    But don't forget, half of Dante's Inferno's potential audience can't play GOW, so the "God of War clone" argument becomes a good thing right?

9. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    Possibly.

But with the price break, the PS3 should be just as installed as the 360 at this point.

10. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    So did anyone get it? Is it any good?

11. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Eh, so I bit the bullet and picked this up today.

I started it on the easy difficulty after hearing it can be quite hard. After 60 hours straight of ME2 gaming, all I'm after is some mindless action beat-em-up. And man, is Dante's Inferno just the ticket.

What I like about it is the option to punish or absolve your enemies, adding to your unholy/holy meter. I just came across Pontius Pilate, and after deciding to punish him, I thrust my scythe into his face. [face_devil]

I also fought Death himself. I stole his gigantic scythe, then used it to split him in half. It's completely over-the-top, but in the laugh out loud way.

Yeah, it's quite fun so far.

12. DarthBobbalot

DarthBobbalot Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    I'm planning on getting this soon, but with MW2 still taking up my time, me getting back into WoW, and ME2 out and requiring multiple playthru's, Darksiders also on my list of games to play, I don't have much time for new games :/ And Bioshock 2 coming out soon as well... Damn you, game developers, why did you have to release so many good games in such a short time frame!

13. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    I laughed when I heard this game was coming under scrutiny for showing a CGI trailer for the Super Bowl but having sub-par graphics (compared to the CGI in the trailer) in the actual game.

Haven't people learned the difference by now?

14. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    People who play video games have. But the rest of middle-America who saw the Super Bowl spot are easily fooled.

15. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    The CGI cutscenes are pretty good. I could watch a whole movie of it.

16. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    The CGI that was featured in the demo was outstanding.

17. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    I had my doubts about this one, but it's a fantastic game so far. And I think it was quite the marketing strategy to place this release so near that of the next God of War installment, for us poor souls who don't own the equipment to run it. Having played God of War on my PSP, I see that most of Dante's gameplay aspects are a dead ringer for the game. However, everything is still extremely well done and it's very fun to play. A bit bloody for my tastes, but all in good fun.

18. ebamf

ebamf Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 19, 2009
    My friend and I played the demo. It was a good killing spree, managed to get like a 125 attack chain going on.

19. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm liking what I'm hearing in this thread! :D

On the graphics thing, cut scenes are nearly always better than in game graphics. It doesn't take a lot to play a beautifully rendered video but to get the same amount of detail and quality in game requires a lot more.

Oh well, I'll definitely be getting when I have money.

An official PSP theme would be great.

20. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    I started playing the game last night. Turned off the light, had a bowl of sweets on the couch next to me.

The game creeped me the hell out. :p

Come on! Scythe-babies!

The whole concept of Hell in the game is creepy, me thinks. All the wailing and the screams.

I am loving this game. :D

I'm stuck having to swing from one rope to another right now. I get irritated quickly while playing and in light of already having destroyed a controller in the past, I turned off the XBox after the fifteenth time I plummeted to my death.

21. Rytar_Drak

Rytar_Drak Jedi Youngling

Feb 12, 2010
    I don't like the idea of a game about hell. Seems entirely macho and unentertaining. All yellow fire and beastly creatures. What's the point?

22. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    It's not about hell. It's about Dantè wanting to rescue his wife.

Have you not heard of the book (or rather poem) "Danté Inferno"?

In the game, Danté promised his wife to always be truthful and faithful to her. He went away to war and when he came back, his wife was dead and her sould brought down to Hell.

I don't really get why, at this point. At least not yet.

And as the character you get to choose between good and evil. Do you want wander through hell with your dark powers to kill your enemy or with the devine energy? I'm using the lightside right now. (How very Star Wars-y :p ). Way cooler to absolve than to kill, me thinks.

So the game actually has a decent story.
    It's not just about Hell.

23. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    I initially thought it was going to be just a dumb, one-dimensional game about Hell, too, but the plot is actually extremely fascinating and very engaging. The story seems well thought out and well crafted. And it's really fun and creepy. :D

24. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    Well...the further I get in the game....uh...okay.

Disturbing...yet interesting.

[face_thinking]

25. DarthBobbalot

DarthBobbalot Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    So i had to pick this up yesterday... And I picked it up right when i SHOULD have gone to sleep, but instead was up for another 3 hours playing this... OMG comes to mind, this is a crazy crazy game. Pretty damned awesome! For all the people who are complaining its just a GoW clone, who cares? I always wanted to play GoW but dont have a playstation so this is great! Story is cool, sometimes the gameplay mechanics are annoying (falling from ropes, BS parts in a boss fight etc...) but overall this is an immensely fun game!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.