main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Dare To Be Oblivious. L/M Ghent/OC Romantic Comedy. Lost Epilogue Found!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by SpiritofEowyn, Feb 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpiritofEowyn

SpiritofEowyn Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    Dare to be Oblivious

L/M, Ghent/OC. Short Story.

Title: Dare to be Oblivious
    Author: SpiritofEowyn
    Characters: Luke/Mara Ghent/Oc Solo family.
    Timeframe: Jedi Academy
    Summary: A bet between smugglers on two oblivious men yields more than either was expecting.
    Genre: Dramatic Romantic comedy
    [image=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/spiritofeowyn/daretobeobliviouscover.jpg]

My first attempt at romantic comedy. Please be honest but kind.
    Inspired by the fact that Ghent is awesome and there needs to be more Ghent romances, and Mara is too much fun to poke fun of. :p

(Updates Fridays, but not every friday)

The Dare.

First I'd like to say that this was not my idea. I am not opposed to dares, in fact I enjoy competition, but If I had known how that little sith was going to up the wager I would have ignored my duty and done paperwork instead. Unfortunately I've never been known to have Jedi visions, so I really can't be blamed.

This is how it started, one night docked on Corusaunt, minding my own business.

"Hey Jade!" I pretended not to hear my name. "Have you noticed that everyone else in our organization is out having fun?" A perky female voice called as she plopped into the nearest swivel chair.

I winced. As I pored over another report the last thing I needed was a distraction.

"I'm busy." On most people this would have the desired affect of having them leave me alone. But Kasrit Noyas wasn't one to obey a hint.

"Those reports will be there tomorrow." She hugged her knees and tilted her innocent looking gray eyes at me. Kasrit had the impressive skill of looking vulnerable in a 'please help me' way balanced perfectly with intelligence that didn't make her look like easy prey. But that wasn't why Talon had hired her years ago, or why I had grudgingly requested her. For reasons she'd never explained, the girl had access to an insane amount of information, and was one of the best readers either of them had come across. A few of them had landed in an Imperial base, she had lead them unerringly out, and pointed out the best things to steal.

"What do you want?" I asked impatiently. The sooner I knew what it was I was going to be saying no to, the quicker I could do so.

"One. You to come with me to gather contacts and information, so you can analyze it. Two. I work 15 hour days and you're making ME look bad. When was the last time you went on a mission? You can't go getting rusty on us." Kasrit counted the points on her fingers, having learned that subtlety was not appreciated.

But that was the thing, for all the information Kasrit had, and the training Mara had tried to instill, the girl had little more common sense than Ghent did.

"Fine then." Mara rubbed her eyes and swiveled her chair, stretching. "I was about to stop anyway."

"Yaaay!" Mara wrinkled her nose at her unbridled enthusiasm. "I know just the spot."

Thirty minutes later, they found themselves approaching one of the midlevel bars/nightclubs that littered upper Corusaunt.
    Kasrit was skipping along as if she were a child again. Mara grimaced beside her, the kid liked to draw way too much attention to herself. Various beings were looking at Kasrit like she was food. Mara's glares and personal presence the only thing keeping them from being assaulted.

"How about we make this more interesting?" Kasrit challenged optimistically. "I have to keep my ears open for creditable information, and you have to make sure I leave here alive." Kasrit dismissed their mission. "Something we could both do in our sleep, so how about while we're at it, we see who can obtain more comm. numbers from guys."

Kasrit wasn't pretty, at least not in the way that forced Mara to constantly be on guard from interested males. What was it with guys and red hair and green eyes? I mean it was a common enough coloring. Or maybe it was the tight black outfits she wore?

Mara snorted. "You think you could beat me?"

"You're icy, Jade, you scare guys, which won't make you blend in here." Kasrit grinned ferally shaking her head, making the two tails of dark hair

2. TheCrazyRodian

TheCrazyRodian Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2004
    "Fine." Mara bit out, searching everywhere around the bar for a worse challenge, until she found him all alone. "then you have to get a date from our collogue, Ghent."

Kisrit blushed bright pink.

"What's so hard about that?" She protested, looking towards the corner Ghent had holed himself up in. Just him and his holonet connection.

[face_laugh]

I suddenly feel all self-conscious for holing myself in my room with a laptop, typing out replies to Star Wars fan fiction. Where are all the pretty girls who are supposed to get dates with me, huh? :p

Mara grinned at the thought that she had found an impossible mission for her competitor to attempt. It served her right for trying to trick her into embarrassing herself in front of the only single man in her acquaintance who didn't seem to want to sleep with her. Why didn't he want to sleep with her? That's right, dead Jedi and damsels in distress were his 'type'. A girl who was breathing and could keep herself that way was too much of a challenge.

OHMYGAWD. That's TRUE. That's sooooo true! Terrible to say out loud, but totally Luke!

Oh wow. Hilarious stuff. :D

3. SpiritofEowyn

Mar 5, 2005
    Thanks. I was worried this might not be funny. :[face_relieved]:

:D Luke's general taste in women is always fun to poke at. :p He desperately needs a women that can take care of herself with all of the constant danger he seems to get himself and those around him in.

<--Geek.:-B Ghent is the ultimate geek.[face_love] He needs love, and unless he's kidnapped( far away from the holonet) and forced on a date he's never going to get any. He seems too oblivious to find love on his own. Leave it to the girls to chase after him. Luke is also fairly oblivious, or shall we say both men are single-minded? Which girl has the worse challenge is up to debate. :p

:: 0-o;; feels weird, as she's just gotten back from reading and reviewing TheCrazyRodian's depressing twin fic holed up in her room on her laptop::

4. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    Aww... poor ghent, never given credit where it's due!

This looks to be fun. I can see Mara being so stubborn and wanting to prove herself that she'd get herself stuck in a situation like this!

As for this...
    the only single man in her acquaintance who didn't seem to want to sleep with her. Why didn't he want to sleep with her? That's right, dead Jedi and damsels in distress were his 'type'. A girl who was breathing and could keep herself that way was too much of a challenge.
    It took me a minute... but it had me laughing... so true!

5. Kidan

Kidan TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 20, 2003
    Why didn't he want to sleep with her? That's right, dead Jedi and damsels in distress were his 'type'. A girl who was breathing and could keep herself that way was too much of a challenge.

That had me cracking up.

This is a good one SoE, and I can't wait for more =D=

6. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    What an intresting idea here, both the fic and it's content. A challenge eh? I like this. Might I ask for a PM when you update next?

Love Mara's wondering why Luke didn't seem to want to sleep with her. [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

7. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    This looks good. It's nice to see Mara loosen up a bit, if only because she can't back down from a challenge.

8. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    It served her right for trying to trick her into embarrassing herself in front of the only single man in her acquaintance who didn't seem to want to sleep with her. Why didn't he want to sleep with her? That's right, dead Jedi and damsels in distress were his 'type'. A girl who was breathing and could keep herself that way was too much of a challenge.

[face_laugh]

Great fic! Can't wait to see what Mara tries on Luke and it's about time Ghent got some love.

9. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    SOE! This is so cute and I'm so looking forward to seeing how she approaches this very unique situation. :)

10. SpiritofEowyn

Mar 5, 2005
    REDGOLD:Aww... poor ghent, never given credit where it's due!

This looks to be fun. I can see Mara being so stubborn and wanting to prove herself that she'd get herself stuck in a situation like this!

Thanks for reading L/M fanfic queen![face_blush] Yep. It's the only way I could get her and Luke together sooner. A bet.

I love Ghent, he's awesome! He will definately be getting some credit/a life here.

Kidan: Thanks. :D I'll try to post more next weekend.

Healer_Leona: Yay! Yes, I will definately PM you when I update. Oh, Lukie wants to date her, he just doesn't know it yet. :p

RebelMom: Mara can't 'loosen up' conventionally because that's against the rules.:p She's kinda like Marty from Back to the Future that way. 'no body calls me chicken.'

JadeLotus: I agree with you wholeheartedly. All I can say is it's not going to be simple or straightforward for Mara. Smugglers do cheat you know.[face_mischief]

DarthIshtar: Thanks Ishy! There may be Mara in a pink hat in this, eventually, just for you. [face_mischief]

::rubs hands evilly:: I'm going to try and write the next bit this week, so even if it's short there should be another chapter at the end of this week.
    Plotbunnies or requests anyone?

11. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Luke in that natty grey tank top we saw in ESB? A kiss for pink-hat Mara? Yoda's ghost appearing to whack them both with the gimer stick?

12. SpiritofEowyn

Mar 5, 2005
    Round Two : Flirting with Oblivious
    Natty gray tank top courtesy of DarthIshtar's suggestion. Submit your suggestion now! :D

Target: Zakarisz Ghent.
    Male Human, Slicer.

Kasrit positioned herself in front of Ghent?s alcove until it became clear that he wasn?t going to notice her.
    She cleared her throat. Nothing.

"Hey, Ghent!" resulted in him blinking in the dim light.

"Hmm, wha?" He squinted at her. "Do I know you?"

Kasrit was indignant. "It?s me, Kazzy, we worked on the Correlian project together!"

"Oh." Kasrit wasn?t to be deterred. A month?s paperwork was at stake.

"Can I sit here." Not a question.

Ghent looked between her and back longingly at his custom computer. If she didn?t do something quick the pasty slicer was going to choose the computer.

"Why?" He asked genuinely confused.

"I want to talk to you," She took the liberty of scooting into the curved soft bench. "Alone. We never just talk. We?ve been partners for so long and I feel like I barely know you." Kasrit pulled at her shirt, as if to harmlessly adjust it, so that more of her minimal cleavage showed. She crossed her arms to the same goal.

"Uh," Ghent frowned, and slowly closed his laptop. "What do you want to talk about?"

"Slicing, how did you get so good at it? I wish I knew how to do that. All I can do is use the Holonet and collect data." She put her elbows on the table, resting her head in her hands. She turned on the cute, innocent, and yet smart act that worked so well in the information collection business.

"Uh, but you?re good at your job?" He shrugged. "I wouldn?t have guessed to try-"

"Yes, yes, but you?ve been cracking codes for so long. You must be a genius." Kasrit said demurely.

"I?m not that good, I just keep working at it," Ghent could not comprehend a compliment. It was kinda cute, considering the arrogant crowd the smugglers tended to be.

"You?re so dedicated." She oozed. She reached out to take his hand, to keep it from opening up the laptop again. She shook it gently, scooting closer.

Ghent scratched the back of his head, tightening the shirt across his chest to show that, why yes he did have muscles underneath the baggy clothes he favored. "Thanks?"

"I wish I could learn from a master like you." She tilted her head, almost resting her head on his shoulder. "It would be so educational."

Ghent frowned, opening and closing his mouth like a drowning fish. It was clear he had no experience with girls coming on to him. Pity.

"There are classes-" Ghent began innocently, unaware of her intentions.

"I know." Kisrit made her eyes wider than usual, and added a hint of apology to her words, lowering her eyes quickly as she casually rested her hand on his lower thigh, and gently squeezed. "But I?m much more of a hands on kind of girl, and since you?re the best slicer in the galaxy?"

That had to do it, innocent, promising and flattery were the key.

Ghent?s eyes widened, his breath quickened and he gaped at her hand on his thigh.

"I,uh, I, um, I?m not the best." He cleared his throat, and his voice shook slightly.

Kasrit became irritated, and forcibly kept her eyes from narrowing. She couldn?t have him faint on her. Unless of course she could convince him afterwards that he?d asked her out, and get it to stick? Naw, better leave that for plan B. She just hoped she didn?t have to bring out the tears and sniffling 'Am I ugly? Do you not like girls?' routine. That was lower than she preferred to go.

Kasrit removed her hand, to keep him from running away in embarrassment. "Oh, but everyone says you are. I mean you broke Imperial Battle encryptions during the siege of Coruscant, and you?re still so young and manly." Laying on more flattery. Now if only she could suggest a date. Stupid Mara and her stupid rules.

Not that it wasn?t true, Ghent was amazing.

Ghent swallowed his tongue and ran his fingers through his dark longish slightly oily hair.

"Noyas?" His eyes were wide and somewhat scared.

" Please, call me Kasrit or Kazzy, lets not be

13. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    It was kinda cute, considering the arrogant crowd the smugglers tended to be.

I can see where that would be kind of refreshing. LOL I do almost feel sorry for Ghent... all shy and all. :D

"Is there something in your eye?" Luke asked concerned, offering her a napkin.

Oh dear. [face_laugh] [face_laugh] Mara best watch out, he probably senses her plans already. Superb post Eowyn. :)

14. Killik_Twilight

Killik_Twilight Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2005
    Hehehehehehe? poor Ghent, I know how he feels? I'm shy too, except I'm not oblivious to the fairer sex. :)

As for Luke, heh. Mara's got her hands full with him. *laughs*

KT

15. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    That was hilarious. Ghent is probably stunned at the moment and will eventually figure out she's hitting on him.

Its so funny how Mara keeps correcting herself. I think she is all too happy to do this.

16. Kidan

Kidan TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 20, 2003
    Another great post!

17. TheCrazyRodian

TheCrazyRodian Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2004
    [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

Ghent is my favorite!

18. jaina_clan_solo

jaina_clan_solo Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 14, 2005
    Hilarious! [face_laughing]

I think that Mara is going to wind up winning this bet.... because we all know how Luke feels about her

can I get a PM when you update?

jcs

19. MirandaFair

MirandaFair Jedi Master star 4

Jun 13, 2005
    Just found this and am delighted!

The Dare:

The breakdown of the rules was hilarious! [face_laugh]

Oh - you never dare Mara Jade. That's just asking for trouble. But it will be lot's of fun for us L/M fans. [face_batting]

Round Two:

"Hey, Ghent!" resulted in him blinking in the dim light.

"Hmm, wha?" He squinted at her. "Do I know you?"

I adore Ghent. :) You're right...he doesn't get enough "screen time." Your characterization of Ghent is spot on. He's the naive, geeky, oblivious, awkward youth we all love!

Mara tried to batt her eyes.

"Is there something in your eye?" Luke asked concerned, offering her a napkin.

Ooo goodness...between the men at the bar and Mara trying to impress her charms on Luke...I was in reader heaven. O:)

Could I please be added to the PM list?
    I'm loving this!

20. jackyyy17

jackyyy17 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2006
    Wow, I think this story has potential to be a really good fic. I like were it was going, and it even was funny.

I can?t wait for the update.

Could you please put me on your pm list (If you have one)

jacky

21. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    [face_laugh] Great update!

I would say that Ghent isn't the only oblivious one...

And love that Mara's every expression is predatory :D

22. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    LOL!

I love it!

Ghent is about to pass out for sure!

And Mara... oh who is she fooling???

23. SpiritofEowyn

Mar 5, 2005
    Replies tomorrow. Thank you everyone for all of the comments![face_blush]

PM Train
    Healer_Leona
    Jaina_clan_Solo
    MirandaFair
    Jackyy17

I'm working on Chapter 4, and finishing up chapter 3. So I'm thinking that it would be a fair assumption that the next post will be by Friday night.

Question- For those of you who have read Mara's Secret Fear: Babysitting Should this be a Prequel or Sequel?

::runs off::

24. Rose_Skywalker

Rose_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 17, 2002

This is really cute. Mara's characterization is perfect. I honestly see her saying or thinking those things. Her and luke or too funny! keep up the good work! :D

25. AvenKiel

AvenKiel Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2003
    Oh, I love it! It's so playful! I can't wait to see how Mara plays her way out of this rough spot!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.