main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Dare To Be Oblivious. L/M Ghent/OC Romantic Comedy. Lost Epilogue Found!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by SpiritofEowyn, Feb 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Making up a new planet? Good way to get into a party. They must not have very good security.

2. SpiritofEowyn

SpiritofEowyn Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    RebeL Mom: Or Ghent's just a really good forger. They have hundreds of thousands of planets to keep track of. The restaurant doesn't so much care where you're from if your money is good. ;)

3. AvenKiel

AvenKiel Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2003
    Hey hey, if you're ending the relationship, I will stage a mutiny!!

Good posts though!

4. SpiritofEowyn

Mar 5, 2005
    I reeeeeaaaaalllly wish this were an April Fools Joke but it's not. Just ask Ish. I've had the weekend from Heck. Someone hit my car when I was in it, my cell phone broke and more relevant for you -- my laptop died. The harddrive died. Or so my Computer Repair friends tell me. It won't even boot to Safe Mode. Bad for you--- it has the ending of Dare to be Oblivious on it, and a bunch of fun good chapter stuff. Bad for me... my resume, and 80 pages of Original Novel are also on it.

I'm going to take it the the 'Geek Swad' in hopes they might be able to salvage some of the data, but with it's utter CRAPness that is doubtful at this point. :(

(on a mac that hasn't been used in years, and therefore has such crappy browser and lack of WORD That it took me 3 hours to get this site to show, load, and post.

:::Bawls:::

5. MirandaFair

MirandaFair Jedi Master star 4

Jun 13, 2005
    Kasrit must have a death wish if she's going to mess up Mara's night out on the town. [face_skull] And Ghent...he's just too cute. [face_love]

I hope you're alright, SoE!!! Car accidents are never fun to deal with and I hope you walked away fine. [:D]

6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    So sorry to be late in replying. [:D]
    I wanna thwack Kasrit!! [face_laugh]
    Lovely lovely update. :D

Oooh! Nothing better spoil Mara and Luke's date, or I'm gonna be ticked!! :p
    So will Mara, and you don't wanna be on her bad side!! [face_laugh]
    Edit: Argh!! Just read SoE's note on April 1! Argh! She's in computer dark ages :eek: Our story :( :( The resume :eek: Eep!! Oh, foot! Geek Squad, help! [face_praying]

7. SpiritofEowyn

Mar 5, 2005
    AvenKiel: Mutiny sounds like fun.:p [face_shhh]

Fairest Miranda: Yes, well she's a punky kid in a lot of ways trying to see what she can get away with. He is cute. :D

I'm alive. Thanks for your concern.

Jadest of Eyes:
    NP, forgive my even later reply to your comment. :p Thank you for your support, it means a lot. I need a good kick in the rear to remind me to finish what I started. I'm glad you liked it. Yes, I imagine at this point most people want to hit her, maybe you'll change your mind?O:)

Geeksquad didn't help. It's dead. So dead.[face_skull]

A/N: After a long grieving period for my laptop and the last few chapters of this story I wrote on it in advance... I have started work on Chapter 15. I think I have a few pages done. (when you're typing in an email box and emailing it to yourself it's rather hard to tell) It's a crazy few weeks but I'll see what I can get done. Anyway I thought someone might want to know. Really. I'm not a punk.

More replies later.

And for your appeasement, the first paragraph of the next chapter.

Luke lead her into the Gilded Corusca, and she knew he meant business. You didn't take someone here for a casual date, most people never made enough in their whole lives to afford three meals here. She had been here before when it was under different management, and had to use government charge card to finance her cover. She had been following one of the Sith's enemies.

8. SpiritofEowyn

Mar 5, 2005
    After an extended grieving process over the lost manuscripts and ending of this fanfic, I feel I am prepared to continue. :Sniff:

Chapter 15

Luke lead her into the Gilded Corusca, and she knew he meant business. You didn't take someone here for a casual date, most people never made enough in their whole lives to afford three meals here. She had been here before when it was under different management, and had to use government charge card to finance her cover. She had been following one of the Sith's enemies.

This wasn't the practical farmboy's style which meant one of two things, he was planning on asking a huge favor, or it was Luuke or another one of his clones she'd really been dating.

She snuck him a wary look as the maitre d' greeted them in flawless basic, a feat for a Twi'lek, let alone an older one. He was tall and green with perfectly symetrical features and teeth, his lekku were held behind him by the formal headdress, and his robes lacked a single wrinkle. What struck her most about him, was that for a Twi'lek male he didn't look hideous.

He left his place to greet them, Luke with a slight bow and handshake, and her, after a moments hesitation with an air kiss to her free hand.

"It is a pleasure to serve thee Master Skywalker. I saw your sister here just last week and she told me of your... requirements. "He oozed with a blank expression before turning to her.

"Welcome to the Gilded Corusca, again, I believe? My name is Xinjab and Bastion will be your server tonight. If you desire anything, anything at all just say it, and it is yours."

She grimaced at his simpering attitude, but played along.

Bastion was a human male of middling age. He gestured for them to follow him.

"You'll be at the Organa table." She shot Luke a look. He barely gave her eye contact and have a nauseated smile.

He held her chair out for her, giving her the slightly better view of the Old Jedi Temple Memorial. Leia's words returned to her-- Luke had to return to his Jedi duties soon. Would he point to the temple, thank her politely for her time, try to reason with her and dismiss her like yesterday's news?

Thank you for your enthusiastic interest in our Spouse position but we regret to inform you that the position has been closed. All the best in your future dating endevours.

He did have that innerly-nervous-about-having-to-give-bad-news look on his face.

The waitor handed them their menus and they both muttered thank you.

It didn't take her long to choose. If he was going to dump her she was going to get something covered with gold leaf and diamonds!

"Have you been here before?" He asked in a higher than usual voice.
    "Yes." She answered primly.

He winced. "I was told it had good food, any suggestions?"

She shrugged. "If you don't see anything you like, you can order whatever you do. They have everything -- for a price." She fiddled with the silky linen tablecloth before she caught herself at the irritating habit.

"Oh," He turned back to his menu.

He looked upset. Well, okay then, so I won't order THE most expensive thing on the menu. She contented herself with looking around. They were the private section of the restaurant. The lighting was classy. The Naboo Orchids looked fresh, probably a result of whatever they put in the vase with them. She picked one out and sniffed it. Nice.

She looked up to find Luke staring at her.

"What?"

"You look beautiful." He answered in his glazed mood that she associated with having kissed him too much in one evening.

Ok, well that was an odd thing to say when you were planning on dumping someone, unless maybe -- just maybe -- he wasn't dumping her at all.

"Are you ok?"

"I don't know, we'll see if I'll be alright." He said trying to be mysterious.

Ok definately not dumping her. She put the orchid back into the vase.

"Oh kay," Awkward moment.

Meanwhile on the ship, Ghent and Kasrit munched on their take-out and watched the show.

9. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Yay for update. You really got some good ambiguous tension on both sides. And if I ever have $20,000 to throw away, I'm still not buying one of those sushi rolls! Good golly!

10. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    sushi! Yuck! even with gold and diamonds!!!

and why is that last part ominous to me?

11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Hi: So stoked!!! What's Luke so nervous about? And who's the queen Kasrit's referring to?
    I don't want my sushi covered with anything I can't scarf, 'cause I love sushi. [face_laugh] :) Don't wanna spend 20 thousand for anything though--unless it's jewelery I can actually wear. ;) Serve Kasrit right, if Mara knocked the bug into her drink and it shorted!!! [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

12. Jedi_Kassandra

Jedi_Kassandra Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 19, 2006
    Oh, tension and suspense. Good update, now I want to know what happens!
    ~Kass

13. Killik_Twilight

Killik_Twilight Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2005
    Heh, Luke and Mara being manipulated by a Queen? Wonder who that is? :p

KT

14. RebelMom

Apr 20, 2000
    And to think I liked Kasrit.[face_not_talking]

15. SpiritofEowyn

Mar 5, 2005
    Tee hee hee. All this heated feelings! I'm really tempted to just go ahead and write the next chapter get all the nitty gritty out there, and introduce Kasrit's boss. =P[face_idea] :cool:

Killik, if you think you know stuff, feel free to PM me, but please don't ruin the fun for the other readers. [face_mischief] :p

You know, Chess has pawns and Queens, and Kings, and knights, those who pull the strings and those who are the strings and those who aren't even aware that strings are pulling them around.[face_batting]

16. MirandaFair

Jun 13, 2005
    Ooo, the tension! I agree with RebelMom...I liked Kasrit but after the last part, I'm not too sure. [face_thinking] And yes...keep writing! I'd love to read more. Excited to see what else is to come. :)

17. SpiritofEowyn

Mar 5, 2005
    DI: thanks. Yeah, that's Sacramento apparently for you.

Redgold:
    Not all sushi is bad.

.... Because it's supposed to be ominous?

Jade_Eyes:o_O What do you think Luke is nervous about? The answer to your second question will appear in my next post. :D You'll enjoy it more if I just don't tell you yet. So really, you should be thanking me for not telling you.:p No no, our little nanos and stuff can't be shorted out.

What are all these mean feelings about my OC about?O:)

Jedi Kassandra
    : Thanks, I was going for that. Check out the next post then. Promise it won't disapoint.

Only about 2 posts left.

KT: read my other response, and read the next post to find out.

RebelMom:
    So... you don't now?O:) Are you sure?[face_mischief]

MirandaFair: Not sure huh?[face_whistling]

A/N: Despite having to relocate to my old IMAC(moniter died on my mom's computer, lovely luck with computers these last 6 months, really) Ish and I have been working on the Luke/Mara part of the next post. It'll be awesome and unlike any L/M proposal you've ever read.[face_devil]

18. Ultima_1

Ultima_1 Jedi Knight star 5

May 16, 2001
    This is a good story. Nice mix of humor and seriousness.

Could Leia have hired Kasrit to play matchmaker between Luke and Mara? [face_whistling] :p

19. SpiritofEowyn

Mar 5, 2005
    A/N: Because I am not an evil author I'm posting the last chapter of Dare to be Oblivious. After this, if you like it, I can write an epilogue. This is the ending I had in mind since the very beginning, so it took me a long time to recreate it to a degree I could be satisfied with.

Warning: This is a LONG chapter. Make sure you have the time to read it all or you won't get anything done, or will be late to work or something. =P

I had to cut it up into 3 or 4 emails to myself to fit it.

Thank you for reading!

Happy Labor Day!

Sincerely,

Spirit of Eowyn

20. SpiritofEowyn

Mar 5, 2005
    Chapter 16

Dinner was delicious. Luke order more than she had expected and seemed to give more notice to the food than she might have supposed. She tried not to think about what favor he might be asking her. She tried to distract herself with the view of the temple, and the bright lights.

"Mara?"

"Hmm?" She turned back to him.

He cleared his throat. " Care for some dessert?"

The waitor was back at their table looking hopeful.

"Are you sure?" He really didn't need to go to all this trouble, it was nice but she knew how much money he must have already spent on this meal.

He looked vaguely offended. "Of course."

"Okay." She took the dessert menu and found a favorite. "This one." She pointed to it, for the waitors eyes only.

"As madam wishes." The waitor bowed and turned to Luke.

"What did you pick?" He asked.

"Surprize." She teased.

Following suit Luke pointed out his choice, before the waitor took both of their menus and left. Luke looked thwarted for a good minute.

He fiddled with his napkin, and took a deep breath." The old temple is beautiful isn't it?"

"Yes."

"They, the old Jedi, achieved so many things, but I think they were wrong, about some things." More Jedi talk. Did he want her to go to the Academy to learn? Maybe wanted her to teach something there? The look he gave, the deep serious gaze demanded a response of some kind.

"Really? I always thought you wanted to be just like them, like Yoda. You've researched so much-"

"They had... good points and some of the basics which I needed to know, but this new order of Jedi are going to be different. I'm going to be different."

They were interrupted by the waitor's return and the dessert that was placed before each of them.

Luke looked up at the waiter, and she nearly dropped her fork. "Do you have any dessert wines?"

Luke wasn't what anyone would call a drinker.

The waiter nodded at him. "Yes, we have an excellant bottle of Alderaanian green wine, that your sister favors."

"Bring that, in two glasses." He acted like a closet alcoholic who expected at any moment to be told he was going to be denied his request.

After the waitor left she worked up enough nerve to ask, "In this new order, Jedi will learn to be heavy drinkers?" She raised her eyebrow at him. Either this was really bad news or, "you've been spending too much time with Han."

Luke gave a nervous laugh. "Uh. No, No." He picked up his fork. "I just thought it was appropriate, uh. yeah." He took a bite, and while he chewed his face became earnest. "That's not what I meant about changes."

"Okay." She really didn't know how or why he was making such a big deal about what he was going to do with the Jedi.

"They didn't believe in something so-- essential, that well they banned something and I want, I plan to prove them wrong if you're ok with that." More earnestness about something so odd to be telling anyone on a date.

She swallowed. "It's your order of Jedi, I don't know how my opinion matters..." She shrugged in confusion. His contorted face made her think she was missing something important. "Look you need to be more clear-"

The waiter returned, towel over his arm poured their drinks. Luke looked to him as if he held all the answers, also like a drunk.

She heard a plunk as metal hit glass. There was something in her drink. She lifted it up to inspect the sparkly corusca gemed ring. Wow this place really set you up, Gilded Corusca indeed, she should have ordered wine here. She turned to Luke to see if he'd won the prize too.

His glass was empty but his eyes were anything but.

She never noticed the waiter flee.

Luke stood up, as if giving a toast, "Mara, will you do me the honor of-"

And then it all clicked in her mind.

"No, don't do that! Are you crazy?" Mara protested before he could finish his speech.

Luke's face seemed to crumple, as he fell back into his seat.

"What's your Problem?" Kasrit kept pushing the button harder, as

21. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Ha! And here I am, smirking and titillated at the end of the story. The characterization of Luke in this last chapter was just so spot-on for a more natural course of action and I loved Leia's involvement. You know that I am begging for the epilogue.

22. MirandaFair

Jun 13, 2005
    Just when I was wishing for an epilogue...I see you updated! Two great reads all in one sitting. :) The last chapter had me worried as it seemed ominous. But the ending was fabulous. Great work on your characterizations. Mara is wonderful and Luke is as adorable as ever. An engagement! And not only for Mara. Congratulations, Eowyn! So happy you found your Faramir. ;) May you both live happily ever after.

[:D]

Great work on this story. (Any chance of a sequel with the wedding?) [face_batting]

23. Killik_Twilight

Killik_Twilight Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2005
    Heh. So Leia offered Kasrit a job. :)

If I were in Luke's position, I too would be horrified at Mara's answer. Women sometimes. Why can't you ever give us poor guys a straight answer? :p

KT

24. RebelMom

Apr 20, 2000
    sneaky. I enjoyed the chapter - proposals are always nice.

I do hope there is an epilogue.

25. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    "In this new order, Jedi will learn to be heavy drinkers?" She raised her eyebrow at him. Either this was really bad news or, "you've been spending too much time with Han."

LOL He's making her more nervous not getting to that point. :D

"No, don't do that! Are you crazy?" Mara protested before he could finish his speech.

Luke's face seemed to crumple, as he fell back into his seat.

Awwww, poor Luke.

Ha, Leia's plan all along? [face_laugh] Brilliant!

What a wonderful fic to follow. I second the call for an epilogue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.