main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ohio Dark and Light

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Jade-Walker, Feb 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jade-Walker

Jade-Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2002
    I was reading Dark Rendevous this morning (really good book--I highly recommend it). And that question about the Dark Side of the Force came up in my mind again.
    The OT holds that there is a Dark Side of the Force that can seduce you and snare you. This is what Luke was taught by Ben, Yoda, and even Vader.

Then in the NJO Vergere was teaching Jacen that there is no Dark and Light side of the Force. There is only the Force. It is the dark and light inside each individual person.

We will witness in acouple of months the most notorious fall to the Dark Side in the SW Universe. I thought that it would be interesting to discuss what we think about this Force theology.

2. Tobey-Wan

Tobey-Wan Jedi Master star 9

Jun 12, 2001
    Vergere's interpretation is interesting and more accurate, I think. Light and dark isn't so cut and dry. At least some of it has to do with intent and the state of mind of the individual.

If a Jedi kills to protect the innocent, then it's a dark act that wouldn't really be considered a step towards the dark side. However, killing someone in a rage over the death of one's mother would be a dark act and a definite step towards the dark side (don't know where I came up with that example ;)).

I also think that Vergere's interpretation is closer to how things are in today's society. There's a HUGE gray area as far as what is right and wrong, good and bad, light and dark.

3. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    I believe that there is a combination of the two views.
    I personally believe in God and in satan. In a source for good and for evil. We make each choice in life for one or for the other. And our motives for those choices help to determine the effect of those choices.

But in the SW Universe, there is no espoused source of good or evil other than the Light and the Dark Side. I still think that there needs to be seducing "force" or positively influencing force other than fallible beings.
    So I see the Light and Dark Sides as those external forces willing good or evil. But then each being chooses based on what is inside them.

e.g.--In slaying the Tuskens, Anakin was seduced by the Dark Side. He chose to act out in anger and vengance. If he had, however, killed the village calmly in order to escape with his mother or to save his mother, but not anger, that would be a different issue. It would hot have affecteed his soul--tainted him as it has.
    But where does that anger come from? Where does that temptation to kill them all come from? I still believe that there are more supernatural forces at work.

4. Moff_D

Moff_D Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    And there is your answer, Jade. Anakin was seduced by the Dark Side when he let his rage and anger control his actions--those actions being death and destruction. It is easier to destroy and/or act out than to create and/or control. That is how the Dark Side is quicker and more seductive. In that respect, I guess I would lean towards the little chicken's view. The Force is there, and the choice to use it as light or dark resides within the person. As Luke made his choice, Anakin will presumably make his. Anyway, I suppose this is essentially what you were trying to say in your last post (but without the supernatural element).

...hmmm, I wonder if Anakin actually makes the choice himself or is forced into it? But that is a whole different subject ;)

5. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Well, yes and no.
    I'm not completely sold on the twisted chicken's view of the Force. Yes. There is the dark and light within each person.
    However, dark and light influences still have to come from somewhere. They cannot exist in and of themselves. In that sense, I do believe in the Dark Side and the Light Side of the Force-as the forces of galactic good and evil.

6. Darth-Shul

Darth-Shul Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 7, 2005
    How does Palp know that Luke can destroy he and Vader? Maybe because Anakin wasn't entirely converted over due to the "deal" he suposedly strikes in ROTS. If there is a concrete DARK SIDE It appears the Seven deadly sins are in control. I do believe that on this earth as we know it is just rental space for the time being and we will go to the "show" after we perish here. As far as the dark side, I also believe it is available to all, just as the light side or good vs evil. I agree in part with all answers personally. Our experiences dictate which way we each go upon a particular decision to be made. The quick and easy, or the thoughtful and moral. Very difficult to see, the dark side is when you make mostly rightous choices. A trap I think some fall in. The irony with the tuskens is, in TPM Anakin actually helps a tusken back to health from the death pile when they are both stranded overnight. Then in AOTC he completely destroys hundreds based on anger and fear.

Interesting topic. Mara is right, the "Dark rend.," shows some insight with Yoda about Dooku and why he left the order. But AOTC shows us that a Master of Dark cancels out/or equals the Master of Light.

7. Tobey-Wan

Tobey-Wan Jedi Master star 9

Jun 12, 2001
    How prophetic Yoda was...

"Fear is the path that leads to the Dark Side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering."

I think that pretty much sums up Anakin's confrontation with the Tuskens. It wasn't a conscious choice for him to "go Darkside" on the Tuskens, but his past influenced how he reacted to the situation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.