main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Dark Apprentice," by Kevin J. Anderson [Bantam, 1994]

Discussion in 'Archive: Literature Review Forum' started by dp4m, Feb 7, 2003.

?

"Dark Apprentice," by Kevin J. Anderson [Bantam, 1994]

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. 10 (Excellent)

26.7%
  2. 9

2.0%
  3. 8

10.9%
  4. 7

17.8%
  5. 6 (Average)

7.9%
  6. 5 (Average)

5.0%
  7. 4

3.0%
  8. 3

1.0%
  9. 2

8.9%
  10. 1 (Poor)

16.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jayd

Jayd Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2001
    A huge disappointment. Luke's characterisation was nowhere near accurate (how did he suddenly become so egotistical?), Kyp was boring and one-dimensional, and the twins could not possibly have annoyed me more (what was the point of that whole sub-plot, anyway?).

I thought the ideas behind this book (this whole trilogy in fact) were really good. Luke needs to continue the Jedi so starts a Jedi Academy, deals with the different kind of students that pop up etc, including one that has eery throwbacks to himself, and his father. Meanwhile another leftover Imp Admiral pops up and starts screwing with things. So how is it possible to take every one of these possibilities in precisely the wrong direction?

Ugh, this book frustrates me. I give it a 1, only because there's no 0.

2. Xzilen20

Xzilen20 Jedi Youngling

Apr 13, 2005
    4/10

I enjoyed it when I was younger. Then I grew up...

Readable, but barely. KJA had a little bit of promise with the first of this series, but this didn't really touch me in any ways. I liked the Academy and a few of it's students, but Daala was one dimensional, and honestly made no sense.

3. DarthJango978

DarthJango978 Jedi Youngling

Jun 12, 2005
    Best of the Trilogy. CP let me down though

4. P_F_A_F_F

P_F_A_F_F Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2005
    4, I was not a big fan of this trilogy. The main problem I had with it is that it is just too predicatable. I would catch myself figuring how things that would happen 100 pages later would happen. That and the overall childish feel of the book.

5. padawanlissa

padawanlissa Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    Not bad, but too much superweapons. I also didn't like the holocron stuff. 8/10

6. Darth_Plageus09

Darth_Plageus09 Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2005
    I gave this a 1

I could barely contain myself from skipping pages veen chapters to just be done with it. This books semms to spend entire pages if not multiple pages repeating the same descriptions of items, people and palces it did in jedi search, I belive that when reading a trilogy it is not neccesary to go into a detailed desripotion of the suncrusher and how the new republic got thus explain what happned it the last book by using an entire page I mean the people should have read the prev book to find this out and if one is going to type about it then atleast use different wording not the exact same paragraph from the previous book. This books repeaTS ITSELF MANY MNAY TIESAND REPEATS ALOT OF FROM THEjEDI SEARCH. I could ahve saved myself from reading Jedi serach bc this books goes ack over exactly in detail what happended in jedi search, it was very porrly written and the the only thing interesting in it was the jedi acamdemy lukes training and the ressurected spirit of the dark sith lord these save this book from being thrown to the garbage.

7. HorranCorn

HorranCorn Jedi Youngling

Jul 25, 2005
    I thought the Jacen and Jaina subplot was just kinda silly, and it didn't really need to be there. I liked C-3PO and Chewie's humor, of course, but that's all I got out of it.

Why did Han and Lando keep having to trade the Falcon back and forth with their stupid card games? They need help. I just thought that was too much.

8. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    2. I hope that they didn´t pay KJA much, as he certainly didn´t make much effort when he wrote this book.

9. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    The book is a little to predictabel for my taste. If the holocron mentiones Exar Kun, guess who's coming for dinner? Things were done much to obvious.
    Didn't like the casual killing of not-so-important characters. You can prove your point differently. And Daala! Pseudocompetent girly with a hubris. *sigh*
    I wondered how she could loose so many ISDs in such a short time, if she really was such a threat. Either those ISDs are dangerous and difficult to destroy or they ain#t. Telling one and doing the other is inconsistent.

And awwww, I had almost fogotten: repetitive. Ew! I don't need to read the stats and achievments of a character each time he appears. With his OCs I've even been THERE and not too long ago. I can remember.Tthose paragraphs really get me mad each time I find one. Makes me wanna shout: I ain't stupid! I got brains! I can READ! Waaaahhhhh. And I'm too young yet for Alzheimer's disease. Edit them out, they only slow dow the story.
    *insert mad rant here*

But then I'm a very picky one. And my tiome is too precious to be spent on reading mediocre books, when there are so many brilliant ones around.
    *nerds back into library and is lost*

10. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I gave it a 7, which was less than the other two.

This series was the first that I read of the EU so I loved it at the time, so I'm going to go on my opinion from back then. Now its probably a 5-6 but its been tarnished over time.

11. Mandalorian-Jedi

Mandalorian-Jedi Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2005
    Excellent book!

9 out of 10 :D

My favourite part was the Luke vs Gantoris duel. Luke really is a crafty one;)

12. El Kabong

El Kabong Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 28, 1999
    Dreadful - absolutly dreadful (made even worse by the fact that it was following up the most perfect example of Star Wars-ness to come long in 10 years). Looking at all his books and comics (not just SW mind you) Anderson, to be blunt, couldn't write his way out of a paper bag.

13. 1_4_Jedi

1_4_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 13, 2006
    7/10

Worth reading just to see Ackbar lay the smack down on daffy Daala, and Luke trying to keep the fragile NJO together. Otherwise, not a particularly wonderful book, but I liked the main storylines well enough to keep me interested.

14. Vader_The_Pimp6916

Vader_The_Pimp6916 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 17, 2005
    Pretty good sequel to Jedi Search. 8/10. Would have been 9/10 but the Sabaac games were so stupid. One or two very short ones would have been okay but it just seemed to me like the author was trying to use it for filler. I liked the ending though and am looking forward to Champions of the Force.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.