main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends "Dark Diplomacy" Epilogue I & II (FINAL & COMPLETED) Nov. 11th

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Trepidation, Aug 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trepidation

Trepidation Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 3, 2005
    [image=http://images11.fotki.com/v210/photos/4/43264/149887/DarkDipl-vi.jpg]DARK DIPLOMACY (Sequel to CONDUIT)

Timeframe: Post NJO
    Characters: Jag, Jaina, Tahiri, Sha Lorrisay (OC), Luke, Mara, Han, Leia, Jacen, Karrde, Shada
    Genre: action, romance and suspense
    Keywords: Jag, Jaina, Tahiri, Sha, Indigo, Sky, Dark, Diplomacy, Conduit

Summary: An unknown Darkness is lurking. Outer Rim settlements are being attacked in an ingenious and brutal fashion. Stopping the senseless killing falls to the Jedi, and they have to pick-up some unexpected allies along the way to adapt to this new threat. All of the post NJO crew is in the thick of it in this adventure teeming with action, romance and suspense.

DRAMATIS PERSONAE

Jagged Fel; Ambassador, co-owner Indigo Sky (male human)
    Jaina Solo-Fel; Jedi Master (female human)
    Mindrea Fel; daughter (female human)
    Tahiri Veila-Lorrisay; Jedi Knight, Diplomatic (female human)
    Shaud Lorrisay; Jedi Knight, Intelligence, co-owner Indigo Sky (male human)
    Symerra Lorrisay; daughter (female human)
    Luke Skywalker; Jedi Master (male human)
    Mara Jade Skywalker; Jedi Master (female human)
    Ben Skywalker; son (male human)
    Han Solo; Captain, Millennium Falcon (male human)
    Leia Solo; Co-pilot, Millennium Falcon (female human)
    Jacen Solo; Jedi Master (male human)
    Talon Karrde; Entrepreneur (male human)
    Shada D?ukal; Entrepreneur (female human)
    Saba Sebatyne; Jedi Master (female Barabel)
    Tesar Sebatyne; Jedi Knight (male Barabel)
    Kyp Durron; Jedi Master (male human)
    Tenel Ka; Queen Mother of Hapes (female human)
    Harrar; Priest/Ambassador (male Yuuzhan Vong)
    Vek Lah; Combat Instructor (male Yuuzhan Vong)
    Dervak Lah; Yuuzhan Vong Warrior (male Yuuzhan Vong)
    Vikis Zerron; Lieutenant (male human)
    Provis Borndon; Captain (male human)
    Lowbacca; Jedi Knight (male Wookiee)
    Ak?Bermain; Protector (male Noghri)
    Artoo; Vale; Conduit; C3PO-- Droids
    ?And a nice accompaniment of Cameos from some of your other favorites.

Would you like to know how we got to this point? No problem. Take a gander at the prequel ?CONDUIT.? You?ll get a good healthy dose of Jaina/ Tahiri/ Luke/ Mara/ Leia/ Han/ and a new character Shaud Lorrisay, as well as others. It will give you some background on the new OC and what follows, but it isn?t imperative. You can start the fun here if you are so inclined.

We pick up the story just under three (3) standard years after the prequel ended. Hold onto that ejector seat lever, this one is going to be a rip-roaring, blade searing, gut wrenching ride?teeming with ?ACTION, ROMANCE, WIT, HUMOR, and more ACTION.

Main Character Images:

[image=http://images14.fotki.com/v218/photos/4/43264/149887/solos1-vi.jpg]
    The SOLO's
    [image=http://images12.fotki.com/v217/photos/4/43264/149887/felyy-vi.jpg]
    The FEL's
    [image=http://images14.fotki.com/v191/photos/4/43264/149887/lorrisays-vi.jpg]
    The LORRISAY's
    [image=http://images12.fotki.com/v216/photos/4/43264/149887/skywalkers-vi.jpg]
    The SKYWALKER'S
    [image=http://images15.fotki.com/v235/photos/4/43264/149887/durron-vi.jpg]
    The DURRON's
    [image=http://images12.fotki.com/v242/photos/4/43264/149887/triad-vi.jpg]
    The TRIAD (Mindrea, Symerra, Cinya)
    [image=http://images15.fotki.com/v229/photos/4/43264/149887/VF-vi.jpg]
    Asajj Ventress & Swilja Fenn
    [image=http://images15.fotki.com/v233/photos/4/43264/149887/err-vi.jpg]
    Booster Terrik & the Errant Venture...the red was only a primer

DISCLAIMER: I don?t own the characters?blah blah blah?but I enjoy them just like everyone else.

2. Trepidation

Aug 3, 2005
    DARK DIPLOMACY

CHAPTER 1

(Seris primary sytem; Outer Rim)

?oooooooOOOOOOOO??(squeal of delight)?

?Again, again?do it again Daddy.?

Jag couldn?t wipe the smile off his face no matter how much discipline and structure had been ground into him. This was elation. This was joyous. This was?life.

He glanced at the reflection off the chronometer dial to his right on the cockpit dash. There was a pint sized helmet peeking over his full sized, polished black one. He could see the smile of his pride and joy uncontrolled and unbound anchored in the modified half-sized jump seat.

?How about a thrust climb with a barrel release sweetheart? He asked with the continued smile. He knew what her reply would be.

?Affirmative Colonel,? replied the voice of a three-year-old little girl trying to sound years beyond her age. The way she tried to lower the timber of her tone always made Jag laugh. This child was a carbon copy of his beloved wife right down to the brown locks.

Without a nanosecond?s delay the modified Claw Craft shot straight up. In a smooth imperceptible move the stars ahead twirled in a roll as the sleek vessel leveled off in the same original vector. Then without warning shot straight down towards the planet below. Tucking the drop, Jag proceeded to invert so that the outer rim world of Seris was displayed prominently above them and they proceeded on an opposite vector. Completing that, Jag braced for the reaction.

?Wooooooooooooooowwwww (another squeal)?

Jag couldn?t hold back. The chuckle reverbed in the open comm channel.

?Having fun kids?? an amused voice cut in.

Jag had no doubt that the voice was connected to a grin as wide as his own.

?You know us dear one, just working on our practice maneuvers.? Jag responded dryly.

?Yes, I do know you Colonel. And, I cannot recall practice maneuvers that involved unnecessary comm traffic.? The voice returned in an equally dry sarcasm.

Jagged grinned inwardly. She had him there. He enjoyed making the comparison between his introduction to the world outside of ?Unknown Space? and his current demeanor. Jaina had become his tutor in that regard, and he the willing student.

?I assume by your timely comm that the dinner hour has arrived?? Jag relayed.

?No, I have decided to continue the dinner hour to 18:00 hours. Instead, I will, personally, be performing a spot inspection on your abilities and aptitude.?

With that a white blur shot under the Claw Craft mere meters from the transparisteel bubble and slowed into the shape of a X-Wing just to the lead.

?Mommmmmy!? came the voice from the rear of the modified Claw Craft.

?Hi sweety. Is your father behaving himself?? Jaina intimated.

?I always behave myself dear one?when I am in public.? Another dry comment dripping with innuendo.

Blast that man. Try as she might, he knew which buttons disengaged the repulsors.

?Excuse me, Colonel. I believe I was addressing your co-pilot.?

Both Jag and Jaina noticed the joy the comment solicited in Mindrea. Jag caught the wide grin in the reflective chronometer. Jaina felt its accompanying emotion of glee in the Force.

?Co-pilot?? the awed little voice came back.

?Well, what would you call it little one? You are literally watching my back, and completing every tactic with me. For all intents and purposes, you are my trusted and deserved co-pilot. And, momentarily, your mother will be my dependable wing man.?

As the comment left his mouth Jag purposely focused his mind on an abrupt left turn, but instead increased the afterburner to shoot dead straight past the aft right of the X-Wing on instinct.

The desired result was textbook. The X-Wing took a perceptible veer to the left to block while the Claw Craft shot straight by on the right without consideration for its counterpart. He chuckled heartily in hearing the muffled expletive over the comm.

?Jagged Fel, you...(indistinguishable).? Came the strained

3. JAGSGURL15

JAGSGURL15 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    WOW! Great job!

Please PM all your Jaina/Jag stories to Jaina_Jag_Index in the following format (no mark-up codes please):

Title:
    Link to story:
    Link to your user profile:
    Co-Authors: (If applicable) And their user profiles
    Timeframe: (post NJO, post-Ruin, etc.)
    Characters:
    Genre: (romance, action, etc.)
    Keywords:
    Summary:
    Notes: (WIP, Complete, Vignette, etc., Awards it's won)

Thanks

4. Trepidation

Aug 3, 2005
    CHAPTER 2

(Yavin 4 Outpost)

Fang Squadron was a reflective of many of the GFFA planetary defense forces in the post War galaxy. Most of the veteran pilots who had stepped up to fight during the Yuuzhan Vong War had trickled into retirement or personal interests over the last eight (8) years. Fang was not immune to these inevitable changes. However, they were luckier than most. Their squadron lead, Major Caraway Port, had seen action; more action than should end up on anyone?s card. He had lost count of the various battles in which he had participated. He, still, remembered each of his four (4) EV?s with horrifying clarity. Nothing shook his insides like going ?freeze dried? and watching the battle continue all around him while sitting there like a target practice dummy. After his second EV, somewhere over Borleias, he started carrying a small compressed oxygen tube in his survival pack. The theory was that he could use the compression stream to maneuver, however small, in the event that some scar face in a flying rock felt particularly nasty.

It had become a habit, and as Fang approached the beacon, or whatever it was, Port absently put his left hand to the side pocket of flight suit to assure himself that he still had it.

?Alright you zips. You know the drill. #2 and #3. You?re on me. The rest of you, on the perimeter. Yell out if we get company.? Port commed.

Eleven (11) acknowledgments later and he was pulling left in a standard approach with his two wingmen to either side.

?Ground, we are on immediate approach of the unidentified beacon. We should be able to give you a visual any time.? Port said routinely.

Port took a second to check his heading and speed.

?Ground, are you reading? Waiting on a confirmation. Repeat, we are on immediate approach of unidentified beacon. Out.? Port said again, wondering what rubbernecking desk jockey had control of the comm.

Still nothing.

This wasn?t surprising Port he to himself. Last he heard, they had cut back on ground personnel. Chances are that there was some poor rookie down there trying to figure out where the little voice was coming from.

No, no, that wasn?t right. Port remembered that Vike was on station and in the control room when they got their orders to proceed to these coordinates. Vike was top shelf. He?d just assume relieve himself in his caf' cup than leave the communications bank unattended.

?Fang 2, Fang 3. I believe we have a comm. issue. I?m reading green, but you never know with these new whiz kids they have servicing our rides. See if you can raise Ground, Fang 2. Fang 3 standby.? Port droned out.

Two clicks sounded in acknowledgement.

?Lead, this is Fang 6, I?m picking up a small contingency of unidentified ships, medium size. They just dropped in to the far system about one standard minute ago. I count fifteen (15).?

Port glanced to his scope. Fang 6. That was the new kid. Alright, it?s nice to know someone was paying attention, Port thought to himself.

?Got?em Fang 6. Good eye. Fang 4, you have the Squadron. Form up on Four. Standard approach. Use 11 and 12 in reserve. We?ll be with you as soon as I get a connect with Ground.?

The connect never came. Without warning the all systems on board Fang Lead just stopped. Life support, weapons, defense, engines?nothing worked. Without the reflecting gas giant looming over Yavin 4, it would have been pitch black.

?What the?Fang 2, I?ve got a major malfunction here.? He glanced over to his right, and noticed that Fang 2?s cockpit was just as dark, and he was matching speed on their last trajectory.

?Fang 2, do you read?? He could see Fang 2 with both palms up exaggerating a shrug. He spun his line of vision to the other side. Just behind him he caught Fang 3?s cockpit as dark as his own. They all seemed to have full system failures at exactly the same time.

One?s an accident. Two?s an unbelievable coincidence. Three[/

5. Trepidation

Aug 3, 2005
    Thanks, Just having a bit of fun...
    Cheers,
    Trep

6. Trepidation

Aug 3, 2005
    CHAPTER 3

(Yavin 4 Outpost; Communications Center)

Lt. Zerron knew something was up the minute he couldn't raise Fang Squadron for a situation report. As gruff and cynical as Major Port was, he, also, was a stickler for details and protocol. If his own, personal, fighter was having comm. problems, he would have gone through the entire squadron right down to the rookies until someone connected a patch to Ground. Therefore, he was confident that the entire squadron was incommunicado. This had shades of Bimmiel written all over it.

He glanced over his right shoulder to see that Captain Borndon was still on station and chatting it up with the female Bothan sub-space message expert near the entrance hatch of the room. He was pretty sure that the conversation sat outside the boundaries of military necessity.

"Captain?"

Borndon glanced over to Lt. Zerron and indicated that he had his attention.

"Captain, do you have a second?" Zerron didn't want to shout his concerns across the entire room filled with peers of both lower and higher rank.

Borndon said something fleeting to the Bothan that invoked a laugh and waltzed back over to Lt. Zerron's station. "Yeah Vike? What's on your mind?"

"Will sir, I'm not sure. You know what I just told you about Bimmiel?" Lt. Zerron was still pushing it around in his mind.

"Vike?cut the sir stuff. If you're worried that I'll spread the information around, don't. I can be discrete as well as?" Lt. Zerron cut him off.

"No Sir. I mean. There could be trouble. I just don't know, but something's wrong with Fang. They aren't responding on the comm.?

Borndon transformed into seriousness instantaneously. "That's Port's outfit isn't it?"

"Yeah, he's not one to let it slide." Responded Zerron slowly.

"Show me on the scope. Punch up a full ship scan for the system."

Zerron went to work on the touch screen and the full system scan came to life. The Yavin 4 Outpost was usually pretty slow on its most busy days. But, the scene represented before them took their breath away. Fang was no where to be seen. The only ships on station appeared to be a number of medium sized freighters that were moving in formation towards the base from magnetic north over Yavin 4.

Borndon didn't waste a moment. All informality left him. "Lieutenant, red alert! Repeat red alert! Institute defensive protocol and see if you can get a long range connection to the old man! I'll take the blame if this is a mistake."

Lt. Zerron took in his words and nodded in agreement as his hands flew over the screen. The alarm siren pierced the air just as his hands settled back to the system scan screen. He had just put his vision onto the data to see if he could locate the beacon that initiated Fang's mission when everything on station went to black. No light, no sounds,?nothing.

"What the?this makes no sense." Lt. Zerron was frustrated.

"I'd say it does. Take out the communications, then attack." Borndon said matter of factly.

"No, that's not what I mean. These banks are on a stand-alone generator that is four meters under where I'm sitting right now. So is our illumination system. There's no access. The only way to disable it is to blow a crater four meters down. I'm still here, but the generator is, obviously, inoperable."

"Borndon's eyebrow went up at the news. "Come on. We're exposed here. Let's find a nice hole to climb into. Something tells me we know a little more than the last poor saps to be on the receiving end of this type of party. "

Borndon was watching Lt. Zerron wrestle the comm unit in front of him right out of its mounts. "What are you doing? We need to vacate! I'll buy you a new one."

Lt. Zerron struggled as a strained voice came back. "I can't access the recordings on the last few minutes. But, the records are stored in this portion of the bank. There's a fail safe in here. I'd hate to come back later and find nothing but debris.

7. Trepidation

Aug 3, 2005
    CHAPTER 3 (continued)

(Seris System; Onboard the Indigo Sky)

Tahiri couldn't hold back a laugh as she eavesdropped on the conversation that was taking place just outside the confines of the cockpit.

"I know what I said, and nothing has changed. Of course you are family. We would never think to exclude you in any fashion. But, you have to understand that this is for your own good. Despite what you have misinterpreted, the simple fact is that you would not be greeted warmly were you to come with us to Zonoma Sekot."

"Good morning." Jaina said as she entered the cockpit. " What's all that about?" nodding to the discussion as she settled into the co-pilot's seat with her stim caf' and the flight log.

Tahiri shook her head in resignation to accommodate a smile. "Conduit thinks we are abandoning him."

"Oh?" Jaina looked up from the datapad.

"Apparently, he isn't sufficiently enlightened on how the Yuuzhan Vong feel towards droids." Tahiri laughed again. "I get the distinct impression that he thinks that Sha is trying to get rid of him." Now Jaina understood Tahiri's amusement as she considered the personalities that always seemed to develop in the R-2 Units.

Sha's voice was starting to rise with a hint of frustration. "I know what you think. But, you are blatantly mistaken. Look, you will be traveling to Yavin 4 with Vale and the Fel's. We will be there in a couple of days. Think of it as a vacation of sorts. You can spend the entire day devouring the holonet with no interruptions. Think of it?you can be a glutton. "

The heightened warbles and multi-toned tweets ending with the saddest droid generated tone Jaina had ever heard was enough for her to intervene on Sha's behalf.

Jaina raised her voice so that Sha, and Conduit could hear her. "Conduit, ask Vale for down load file 'Rhommamool 71'."

The resulting silence told Jaina that she had been heard by both. She, then, recognized the warbling and beeps accompanying the communication between both R-2 units. The resulting whirrr confirmed that Vale was accessing the suggested file.

Both R-2's established a common link through the modified, tandem droid station behind the navigation post so that the download of Jaina's suggested file could be transferred through the docking stations built into the interior wall of the cockpit.

Tahiri was staring to Jaina with curiosity. "What is 'Rhommamool 71'?"

"Aunt Mara, my mother, and I traveled to Rhommamool just before the beginning of the Yuuzhan Vong War. Nom Anor was disguised as a self-appointed leader of the Rhommamoolians. One of his little amusements was a large pit at the center of town that contained droids collected from all over the planet. They were subsequently destroyed, and burned in the pit. We happened to fly over it on our way off planet at Nom Anor's invitation, and Artoo recorded it. At some point, he passed the data to Vale."

Tahiri listened to the account from Jaina with interest. She had very nearly finished before the cockpit came alive with excited whistles, warbles, and an interspersed buzzing that she had never heard from the droid. Without warning, Conduit disengaged from the docking station and proceeded to move at maximum speed towards the rear of the ship. They could hear the constant chatter continue as Conduit continued deeper into the ship.

Jaina was showing amusement at the display, as Sha walked into the cockpit looking back over his shoulder. He turned forward to Tahiri and Jaina with a bit of a smile.

"Where's he going?" Tahiri asked similarly amused.

"I think he's going to hide." He turned to Jaina with a grin. "Thanks. It was getting frustrating." He thought for a second. "I should have, probably, prepared him a little better for that file though."

Without delay, the three of them watched as Vale pulled from his docking station and proceeded out of the cockpit

8. Trepidation

Aug 3, 2005
    Note: I'm not sure if anyone is reading this...If you are, "enjoy" there will be a couple chapters going up throughout the day...

CHAPTER 3 (continued)

(Aboard the Indigo Sky; Seris System; Outer Rim)

An immediate search of the ship found Conduit trying to blend in with the trash receptacles in the maintenance shop of the aft storage facility. Jag caught the movement of a raised sight cam following his progress across the area. When he turned quickly to confront the discovery, Conduit let out an excited little beep.

It took some coaxing. However, in short order, Conduit was placed in one of the X-Wings; Vale in the other, to move them, temporarily, out of the aft stow so that the Jade Shadow could dock with the forward hatch secured inside the energy curtain that kept life support operational.

Tahiri found it amusing that Sha had taken the time to pull the little droid aside prior to this in order to give him a proper 'goodbye,' and assurances on their return. Symerra had even given his dome a quick hug, which solicited the usual whistles and warbles, and a rocking back in forth that made her giggle as she imitated the droid's actions.

The Jade Shadow, itself was a beautiful piece of work. Its aesthetic pleasures were only surpassed by its deadly armaments and deceptive speed. Currently, however, it was hanging, partially, out the back of the Indigo Sky as if in the process of being swallowed by a Porsythe Fish under the lakes of Naboo. The hatch opened in a hisssss, and the ramp extended in advance of the arrivals. Yet, no one came forward.

As the moments passed, there was consideration as to boarding to see if there was a problem. However, before anyone could take action, two small and magnificently wrapped boxes complete with flowing bows levitated out of the Jade Shadow's hatch. They smoothly and evenly moved toward the group at the end of the ramp. As if searching out their destination, they, both, halted in mid-air just out of reach. One box, then the other moved directly to Mindrea and Symerra respectively. As they reached the girls, Jaina sensed a thought from Jacen in the Force.

"Put out your hands girls." She said with a smile.

They did so instantly as the gifts dropped softly into their fingers. When they looked up from such a wonderful surprise, Jacen and Ben were standing at the end of the ramp smiling to the group.

Jacen winked to Sha. "Distraction?what do you think?"

Sha laughed. "Excellent exploitation of our avarice nature."

Instantly, Mindrea jumped forward to give her Uncle a momentum-fortified hug. Symerra didn't hold back either. As Sha had noticed in the past, anyone who gave her a present, usually, got a lot of attention in return. Surprisingly, 12 year old Ben didn't shy away from the attention. Instead, he knelt down to face level with Symerra and returned the hug with a smile and a "Hey there, despite the wonderful wrapping we did on these boxes, aren't you the least bit interested in knowing what is inside?"

By this time, Mindrea had turned to her cousin for the requisite hug and caught Ben's words to Symerra, who was now looking down with interest at the present. She followed suit. Symerra considered the situation, and decided to expedite the greetings by giving a fleeting hug to Jacen, who just laughed at the way his apprentice had manipulated the focus of the girls. He, then, looked to his twin and opened his arms in invitation.

Jaina didn't hesitate. She, always, enjoyed watching the girls go through their little greeting rituals, but it was forever special to reconnect with her own twin after prolonged periods in separation. The twin-bond between them was a complete sharing that exposed their experiences, thoughts, and psyche; good, bad or indifferent. It was instantaneous and all encompassing at the same time.

Jacen took an immediate step back from her embrace and looked his sister in the eye with a smile of delight.

"What?" S

9. Trepidation

Aug 3, 2005
    CHAPTER 4

(Aboard the Jade Shadow; In route to Zonama Sekot)

The Jade Shadow disembarked nearly two standard hours later, with Sha, Tahiri, and Symerra added to the manifold. The 'good-byes' on the Indigo Sky were touching and a bit emotional, but nothing approaching difficult. Apparently the girls were taking their "assignments" rather seriously. Even Jag let out a chuckle when Mindrea chose to salute Sha prior to offering a hug. Watching the two three-year-olds offer each other a salute before Symerra boarded the Jade Shadow confused Jacen and Ben until they were let in on the previous events. Jacen took the opportunity to nod his appreciation to his brother-in-law for the ingenuity.

Sha got a certain deviant pleasure at the confused look on Ben?s face when he loaded three carry-on terrariums onto the Jade Shadow. They weren?t 15 standard minutes into hyperspace before Ben vacated the co-pilot?s seat to steal back to the hold and give them a closer look. Sha had been sitting in the Navigator?s slot at the time and watched an amused Jacen follow his apprentice with his eyes as he left.

Jacen turned to Sha. ?You better get back there before he sticks his hand in one of them. My Apprentice is naturally curious.?

Sha chuckled. ?I suppose you?re right.? Sha got up to follow. ?It will give my wife and daughter the opportunity to pry into your social life.?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sha found Ben bent at the waist staring intently into the green foliage of one of the tranparisteel containers.

?Do you see anything?? Sha said startling Ben out of his concentration.

?Oh,?ummmm?.Hi Master. I was just looking.? The boy responded uncomfortably.

Sha smiled at him. ?Ben, two things. First, just plain ?Sha? will do. I?ve not acquired the honor of ?Master?, nor would I feel comfortable just yet with such an honor. Secondly, curiosity and observation are good qualities to have, provided you don?t go jumping head first into a Zork infested swamp to see if anything is in residence or hungry.?

Ben smiled in relief at the informality of the Jedi. Then he appeared to start to say something before stopping.

?What?? Sha simply asked.

?Oh, it?s nothing really. It?s just that you are a lot like my mom. That sounded just like something she would say.? Ben said reluctantly.

?Your mother, my Master, is fine company with which to be compared. I take that as a compliment of the highest order.? Sha said without reservation as he noticed the pride in the boy. He put his hand on the lid of the first container.

?Let me show you what we have here.?

Ben moved over to get a better look as Sha lifted the lid. Sha placed his right arm into the growth such that Ben could not see his hand or the sleeve of his tunic. A smile came across his face as he removed his hand without delay. He looked to Ben to see if he glimpsed what had occurred. Ben?s expression was inquisitive.

?I don?t see anything but plant life.? He said.

?Are you sure?? Sha said as he straightened his right arm towards the adolescent.

Ben looked to the outstretched appendage and noticed movement. Instantly, he took a small step back as he watched a viper curl down Sha?s arm and slide into his half-open hand. In a fluid move, Sha extended his arm even straighter and lifted it over his head as the viper fully extended into a rigid, linear shape over two meters in length.

Ben watched intently as Sha began to apply the, now hardened, viper in various twirls, plunges, thrusts and spins as if wielding a weapon. The dexterity of the Jedi astounded him. The viper seemed to become an extension of the man. And, then, without warning, it was gone. As if a magic trick, the viper appeared from the other sleeve, only it must have been a different one, because the original was acting as a whip as Sha?s right arm snapped forward over Ben?s shoulder. The second viper did the same over the other shoulder of the Apprentice.

Sha smiled to Ben as he straightened both arms

10. Trepidation

Aug 3, 2005
    CHAPTER 5

(Aboard the Indigo Sky; Yavin 4 System)

Mindrea made sure that Jaina had picked out a jumper that allowed for the prominent display of her new necklace. She kept trying to look down her chin to assure that it was centered properly, but the chain was too short to accomplish the task. Still, as if forgetting that little inconvenience, she continued to do so sporadically while they waited for the Falcon to power down in the landing bay, and the hatch to advance.

The X-Wings were just coming through the shield curtain slow enough to determine sufficient landing areas to accommodate their full girth around the stationery Falcon. It would be a tight fit.

While the noise level was heightened by the menagerie of repulsors, Jaina caught the hiss of the Falcon's hatch depressurizing and the extension of the ramp. Leia was out of the hatch before the ramp had completed its journey to the deck. She walked at a hurried pace as she kept her destination in sight the entire time. The smile she carried told Jaina that her mother was elated to see them. She noticed her glance to Mindrea, and the smile widened to what Jaina thought exceeded the maximum specs.

Leia stopped just meters from Jaina, Jag, and Mindrea. Ever the princess, Jaina thought, as Leia displayed a look of embellished awe towards Mindrea.

"Ohhhhh, what a beautiful necklace Mindrea. It looks stunning on you." As Mindrea, again, tried to take in the necklace from such an impossible angle, Leia looked to Jaina and offered a wink with her continued smile. Then, Leia, finished her journey and swept up Mindrea in a flurry of kisses.

"Hi." She said with chuckle.

"Hi Grandma." The little voice came back.

Leia looked up to Jaina without letting go of Mindrea. "She looks more like you each time we see her." With that, she stood up and stepped to Jag and Jaina. She was just able to put one arm around each and gave a solid hug. Leaning up she planted a kiss on both of their cheeks.

"Hi Mom." Jaina chuckled. ?I get the impression you are happy to see us.?

"Of course I am. You happen to be my favorite daughter. And, Mindrea happens to be my favorite granddaughter." She said as she motioned for Mindrea to come and stand next to her.

Jaina smiled as Jag bent to his knee to straighten Mindrea's necklace. It had twisted around in the flurry of hugs from Leia. This caught Leia's attention as Jag whispered in his daughter?s ear. "Hey little one, look who's coming."

Mindrea craned her neck around and caught sight of Han reaching the end of the ramp. As he stepped to the deck, he pretended to ignore her and walked at an angle that would take him just past where she stood. As soon as he was close enough to hear, Mindrea yelled out above the repulsors.

"Grandpa!?"

Han did a traditional double take as if aware of her presence for the first time. He feigned a look of confusion, and faked as if he was just going to continue on his way.

"GRANDPA !?" Mindrea said with more enforcement as she rolled her eyes in the process.

Han turned again. This time he feigned recognition, shot over to the group, and picked her up in a sweeping hug. The laugh and the smiles of the two were infectious.

"Well, hello Pudge. I didn't see you there." Han had taken to affectionately calling Mindrea 'Pudge' due to two pudgy cheeks that graced her in her infancy. He never stopped after the baby fat redistributed when she got older. To Han, it was part of a special bonding between the two. There is no doubt that he would be calling her that for the rest of his years, and she would continue to love it long after.

"You saw me Grandpa. You were just trying to be funny."

"Trying being the operative word." Jaina added as she moved forward to embrace her father.

He tucked Mindrea under his arm so that she was horizontal to the deck, and wrapped his other arm around his daughter. "Hey Kid, nice looking family you got here." He craned

11. oldjedinurse

oldjedinurse Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    Excellent work, Trepidation!

You've really brought all these characters to life. They just leap off the screen as I read this fic. I love the banter, and particularly the way you write about Jag's transformation from "rigid Chiss" to a "Rebel type". The 3-year-old "recruits" are also so funny and touching.

Interesting storyline as well. I do wonder what's going on, and I'm sure you'll do a beautiful job of telling us.

Well done!

oldj

12. Trepidation

Aug 3, 2005
    CHAPTER SIX

(Aboard planetary transport the Cascade; Petrod System; Zonama Sekot)

Foritnan, the Sekotan pilot, landed the living ship (christened Cascade) in the middle of a field teeming with wild flowers and fern plants. The three Jedi had enjoyed Ben?s curious elation as he studied each facet of the sleek, beautiful living ship on the way down. He had just started to digest the wonder of it all when the hatch opened to a wave of life through the Force.

?Your Apprentice appears to be dangerously close to an overdose.? Sha whispered to Jacen.

?He is not the only one.? The Jedi Master responded.

Sha looked to where Jacen was staring. Next to Tahiri, Symerra had her eyes closed as she, quite obviously, was experiencing the planet through the Force.

Tahiri saw the two Jedi looking to the seat beside her and glanced down to her daughter. She, then, joined with her daughter and witnessed what the little girl had chosen to inhale. It was the best part about visiting Zonama Sekot?the very first rush of life. An invigorating sense of serenity and strength enveloped her at the same time. She felt the purity of life that seemed to cloud in any other locality.

Symerra?s eyes opened as did a smile. ?I like it here.? She said with a bit of awe.

Tahiri glanced to Sha, who had a similar smile staring back to her. ?Your father and I were married here.? She said without turning from Sha.

The little girl nodded as if understanding their reasons for choosing Zonama Sekot for that purpose and disappeared back into the Force as her eyes slowly closed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    (Zonama Sekot; Petrod System)

Jacen and Sha walked down the ramp of the Cascade and were greeted by the smiling face of Tekli. She waited for them to come forward and greeted them warmly.

?Harrar will be with us shortly. He is meeting briefly with the Magister I believe. In the interim, why don?t you take in the essence of the planet and stretch your legs.? She said.

The others joined them at the bottom of the ramp and together they walked around the field with no particular destination in mind.

?What do you think my Apprentice?? Jacen said, anxious to experience the planet for the first time through Ben?s senses.

?It?s familiar. I was younger than Symerra when I was here before. But, surprisingly, I remember it rather well.? Ben said with conviction. ?For example, those mountains there. I could have drawn the shape of the peaks when I was home on Ossus. It?s a strange sensation.?

?And you young lady?? Jacen turned to look down at Symerra who was holding her mother?s hand while she walked with her eyes closed to better experience the sensations.

Symerra opened her eyes and looked up to Jacen with a smile. ?Oh, I like it. I can feel everything.? She said with wonder.

Then, Symerra focused to the west and rose up on her toes as if trying to get a better vantage point. ?There is someone coming.?

The group turned as one to the direction she was looking. Coming over a rise in the field, not 20 meters away, were two figures. One was a tall, thin figure wearing a robe similar to their own. He carried a lengthy walking stick and his face carried a number of symmetrical tattoos and scars. The most prominent was a deep scar to the neck. The other was a boy with sandy brown hair and a noticeable confidence in his step.

Jacen had wondered whether Sekot would grace them with a visit during their stay. He had hoped that she would. He wanted his Apprentice to meet her. The fact that she had chosen the form of Ben?s grandfather at a similar age was extremely special and a bit surreal to digest.

The two figures smiled in unison as they came to a stop before the group. The boy, acting quite beyond his years, gracefully took a step back and extended his hand towards Harrar. He still held a smile. The implication was that he was turning over the greetings to Harrar.

In broken basic

13. Trepidation

Aug 3, 2005
    CHAPTER 7

(Southern Hemisphere; Zonama Sekot)

The Sekotan ship landed softly on the edge of a new forest deep in the southern hemisphere of Zonama Sekot. The trees could have been mistaken for ancient growth had those observing it not known that the entire southern hemisphere of the planet had significant damage only a decade earlier. Somehow, the Yuuzhan Vong, working in tandem with Sekot had brought back life to this part of the world.

Harrar wasted no time descending the ramp. On his way out of the smooth hatch he turned to the others and said, ?I will wait for you at the edge of the clearing.?

?Are you sure about this?? Jacen said eyeing Tahiri and Sha.

?Quite.? Sha said without emotion as he checked his living packs that hung from the side of his person.

Tahiri came up behind Jacen and rested her hand on his shoulder. ?Jacen, we will be fine. Sha and I train daily in these tactics. We, both, have studied the different fighting techniques employed by the individual Domains. On their own, each is easily defeated by exploiting the weaknesses of their defenses.?

?That does not even take into account our ability to use the Force in our own advantage.? Sha added. ?However, we plan to do so sparingly.?

Jacen nodded slowly. He was aware of the unorthodox styles of the two Jedi. Tahiri had supplemented her original training of the Yavin 4 Jedi Academy with Yuuzhan Vong style moves implanted into her being by the Domain Kwaad shapers. Her sparring partner, and husband, was a bit more accomplished and tried. However, Jacen had taken in one of their sparring sessions and came away wondering what happened to the rambunctious little blonde haired girl he used to know. Her talents with an Amphistaff left him shaking his head.

Sha had studied under his Aunt Mara and sister Jaina in what most of the other Jedi joked to be the ?training of a sadist.? They were relentless in the trials that they threw to him to over come. Additionally, during his stint in GFFA Intelligence, he had been the only operative to infiltrate Yuuzhan Vong warrior castes for extended periods of time. He had, physically, participated in challenging rank while among them, which, ultimately led to death fights against tried warriors. The fact that Sha stood before Jacen at this moment attested to his abilities. Sha's chosen Jedi fighting style was similarly unique. He had opted for training in dun moch? This type style was primarily employed by the Sith. In addition to an aggressive posture, it included the use of taunts, jests and other verbose efforts to rattle the opponent. The style was most effective when the fighter had the ability to distract the opponent by levitating heavy objects while engaged. Sha had that ability ever since Hapes. His strength in the Force was on a different level.

However, the one thing that Jacen used to bolster his confidence in the two Jedi was, simply, a series of reports written by Sha near the end of the Yuuzhan Vong War. Sha had recognized that different Domains fought in an extremely predictable fashion. He espoused that if you could identify the Domain of the warrior, then you knew every single move that he had. They used no creativity in their fighting. As a result, the same weaknesses appeared with each warrior of that same Domain. The fierce competition among the various Domains made their effectiveness worse if warriors from different Domains ever found themselves fighting along side each other. That gave him the confidence to let Sha and Tahiri proceed. That and the undeniable fact that the Force was telling him that it was necessary.

?OK. But, I reserve to the right to pull the power chord at any time. Understood?? Jacen said with conviction.

Tahiri slapped Jacen on the back. ?Understood Master Solo.? Then she smiled. ?Don?t be too hasty. You know my husband's propensity for?(she paused) setting up his opponent.?

Sha laughed at his wife?s comment. ?Now wife?do not mock my ability t

14. zettazofia

zettazofia Jedi Master star 2

Apr 12, 2004
    Just finished reading this and the prequel, and wanted to let you know I'm impressed.
    Sha is an interesting OC, and while I have to agree with the wunderkind comment someone made in the prequel, I'm still enjoying it and it doesn't bother me as much in the sequel. :)
    Loved the early scenes with just the family, and the interaction between the girls and their parents.
    Also enjoyed the reunions and just the whole way the characters are interacting in this.
    I'll be on the look out for the next update. :)
    -Zetta

15. Trepidation

Aug 3, 2005
    Note: Ok, so I didn't wait a week. I like this part... ;)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(The second VAKSA continued)

Sha started a rambling stumble due west after a couple of standard minutes. He knew his wife had left him ignorant to her plan as a bit of a tease. Still, he knew she was confident of success, and had no doubt that he would be safe in her charge. The hardest part of his participation would be continuing his slow progress. Truth be told, he couldn't wait to see what loomed ahead. It was sure to be a spectacle.

As Sha approached the clump of trees doubling as an attack front for the Yuuzhan Vong warrior, he felt his wife's presence in the Force.

You look pathetic. Even an Ewok would have you for lunch. Came the thoughts.

Too much? He sent back to her.

Maybe a little. Came the sarcastic response.

Sha suppressed a smile by looking down to the ground. He was forced to look up again when he felt the urgency in Tahiri.

Stop and wait for him. His colors imply that he is of the Domain Lah. Tahiri sent on to Sha.

Sha processed the new information. Domain Lah?they tend to try and intimidate before attacking their opponent. They will try to impress upon their prey that there is no choice but to face their demise.

Oh wonderful, we are in for a show. Sha sent back in amusement.

You better hope so. Tahiri sent back in an instant, but free from concern.

Sha waited while using his peripheral vision to watch for movement from the brush below the tree clump. He did not have to wait long as a tall, muscular figure moved into his sight with a confident grace. Sha looked up and evaluated the warrior.

There were implants on all four appendages. His face was rife with scars and tattoos. Even his lips looked as if they were flayed out of recognizable existence. This one was a tried and true veteran. It should be an interesting confrontation.

Twirl your amphistaff feebly and make sure you drop it. He sensed through the Force.

Sha was about to question the logic when he, finally, located the position that his wife had chosen. He, almost, laughed at loud when he saw her. Sitting on a tree branch directly over the head of the intense warrior sat Tahiri. She looked relaxed, and amused at the scene developing before her as she comfortably swung her legs back and forth just over the warriors head. She silently blew a kiss to her husband when she was convinced that he noticed her.

Sha shook his head as he gathered his wits. Feigning weakness, he straightened his right arm, and a rigid amphistaff formed in his hand. Then, with a labored effort he started a clumsy twirl of the weapon around his head. Almost immediately, he faked a cough attributed to the false amphistaff protruding from his abdomen and stumbled forward. The twirling weapon bounced harmlessly to the ground. Sha finished the act with a look of fear to the warrior, and a disgusted grimace as he bent forward to pick it up.

Oh, very nice Spyboy. You have his attention. Now, hope that he is a showman of sorts. Came Tahiri's thoughts through the force.

Sha looked to the, now, smiling warrior. He had, already, tacked up Sha in his win column, and was about to show him how a true warrior wielded his weapon. The Yuuzhan Vong Warrior designated as the second Vaksa extended his own amphistaff above his head and began a series of impressive spins and thrusts using both hands in the process. Sha managed a glimpse to Tahiri as the show began. She was hanging by her knees from the branch above with something in her hand.

In a blur, Sha saw the amphistaff stop spinning abruptly. The Warrior's expression turned from cynical to confused in an instant. Both hands remained on his weapon as he brought it down in front of him to investigate some malfunction of sorts. Sha saw a yellow blur of hair jump down to the ground behind the warrior and his wife run directly past hi

16. Trepidation

Aug 3, 2005
    oldj
    Excellent work, Trepidation!

You've really brought all these characters to life. They just leap off the screen as I read this fic. I love the banter, and particularly the way you write about Jag's transformation from "rigid Chiss" to a "Rebel type". The 3-year-old "recruits" are also so funny and touching.

Interesting storyline as well. I do wonder what's going on, and I'm sure you'll do a beautiful job of telling us.

Well done!

Thanks Oldj, Glad your enjoying it...and in reference to the characters...I think we are of the same ilk..You have to have characters you can care about, or things get kind of drab...

Incidentally, you might have missed it above, but I did a little image editing and threw together a cover to go with this little story...It kind of enhances everything when you can put a few faces with the words...

Zetta:
    Just finished reading this and the prequel, and wanted to let you know I'm impressed.
    Sha is an interesting OC, and while I have to agree with the wunderkind comment someone made in the prequel, I'm still enjoying it and it doesn't bother me as much in the sequel.
    Loved the early scenes with just the family, and the interaction between the girls and their parents.
    Also enjoyed the reunions and just the whole way the characters are interacting in this.
    I'll be on the look out for the next update.

Thanks for checking it out Zetta. I appreciate the comments. You are in for a treat a bit later in the story, the women (Mara, Jaina, Shada, Tahiri, and Leia) do a little interacting in the face of danger. The character dialogue in that portion was great fun to do. I've always been a Shada fan, so maybe it's just me...but giving Mara & her a couple of knives and an attitude & and sending them behind enemy lines seemed like a good idea. They thin the herd...so to say... ;) Hope you keep reading

Cheers all,
    Trep

17. oldjedinurse

oldjedinurse Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    Incidentally, you might have missed it above, but I did a little image editing and threw together a cover to go with this little story...It kind of enhances everything when you can put a few faces with the words...

Nice job!

18. Trepidation

Aug 3, 2005
    (The Fourth VASKA)

(Petrod System; Zonama Sekot)

"You have that look, husband." Tahiri said with a tilted head while looking to Sha.

"I do?" Sha responded absently as if lost in thought. "What look is that?"

Tahiri waited a moment without responding. She was reluctant to interfere with his train of thought. The two faced each other on opposite ends of a large log in a welcome rest from their eventful afternoon. Tahiri had sensed the next Vaksa a good 1,000 meters to their northwest. So, the two had decided on a respite and water break.

Finally, Sha seemed to return to the present. Tahiri sat patiently, knowing that her husband was preparing something intellectually.

"Would you be opposed to ending this quickly, even if it included a bit more risk on our part?" He asked guardedly.

"How much risk? And, how much quicker?"

"I was thinking along the lines of taking care of the last two Vaksas' at the same time." He said with little emotion.

"I have no problem with the result. Tell me how you plan to put them in the same place when nearly two kilometers separate them." She queried.

"Oh, that's not the problem. We would just blow by the fourth Vaksa and have him follow us. I'm sure he would be more than willing to do so." He went back to that place of deep thought. "No, the problem is how we deal with them when we have them together."

"Spill it." Tahiri said without further delay.

Sha looked up with a smile. She was in tune with his line of thinking now.

"Ok, I think you and I need a warm-up of sorts. I have no doubt that we will be able to fight well in tandem when we face the five warriors together. But, I would feel better if we worked out the kinks in advance." Sha said while looking to his wife.

"Agreed." She said with amusement. "So you are thinking of a straight confrontation with the last two, and no?tricks, distractions, or deceptions."

"Exactly." Sha said with a nod. "Two on two. No tricks, but I did not say anything about excluding distractions or deceptions." He smiled divisively.

"You are incorrigible." She chuckled.

He looked to his wife and smiled. "And, you are impressionable."

Over the next few standard minutes, Sha laid out his thoughts on how to, quickly, accommodate the last two Vaksas'. Tahiri listened with patience and added some worthy suggestions that were promptly adopted into the strategy. When they were satisfied with all angles, they, both, inventoried their living packs and set off in a purposeful stride directly to the fourth Vaksa.

Sha glanced at the determination building on his wife's face. She caught his glance and raised an eyebrow.

"Yes?"

"Nothing, just admiring my wife." He said. "She has a tendency to impress me in many ways."

She smiled at the sincere and unexpected compliment. "That's because I'm impressionable."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Ready?"

"Ready." Tahiri responded with determination.

Tahiri had used her Vong Sense to determine an approximate location of the final Vaksa as they approached the fourth one. To bring the final two together, they would have to travel just over a kilometer through the moderately dense woodland. They, both, thought that the distance was nearly ideal for what they had planned.

"What is that in your hand?" Sha asked while peering at the closed right hand of his wife.

She chuckled. "Assurance." She opened her palm for Sha to get a better look.

"What are you going to do with it?" He said as he eyed the hand sized round stone with confusion.

Tahiri smiled. "I'm going to miss." And, she moved from cover into the clearing chosen by the fourth Vaksa as a killing ground.

The idea was to make as much noise as possible to assure that the warrior would enter the clearing to challenge their presence. From there, they would follow the lead of the Vaksa. If he chose to charge them, they would do

19. Trepidation

Aug 3, 2005
    CHAPTER 7 (continued)

The Fifth VAKSA

?How many amphistaffs are you carrying?" Sha asked in their walk towards to the final Vaksa of the first part of the Zem hak van Dak.

?Four.? Tahiri responded as she hopped over a fallen log in her path. ?How many did you bring??

Sha grinned. ?I brought six. I have a tendency to be a bit rough on them.? Then he turned serious. ?We are going to need every single one of them when we get to the village.?

Tahiri laughed. ?It took you long enough.? Tahiri?s comments earlier in the day on how to face the five warriors at the same time finally struck home with Sha.

?If I am not mistaken, my wife is suggesting that we control the hoard by choosing the adversaries.? He said with a raised eyebrow in inquisition.

?Exactly.? Tahiri confirmed. ?We should try and keep them to two, or at the most, three, at all times. Four is pushing it. And, five would force us to use lethal force.?

Sha nodded. ?We won?t be able to approach them individually, so we?(Sha thought of his previous words)?we waltz right up and say ?hello?.? He thought for a moment. ?But, what did you mean about wanting an audience??

Tahiri formed her thoughts on the query. ?It seems to me that there are politics at play here. Why force us to face the Zem hak van Dak unless the High Council fears that they would be showing a weakness by holding a direct discussion with us?? Tahiri stopped in mid step.

?Or, the High Council doesn?t expect us to ever make it to the village.? Sha finished for her. ?More specifically, they are hoping we never make it.?

The truth in that statement struck home with Tahiri. She turned to Sha with a raised eyebrow. ?Husband, I cannot speak for you, but I have just gained voluminous motivation to meet the High Council personally.?

Sha smiled at the expression his wife wore. ?You don?t look pleased.? He chuckled.

?I am not.? She said with conviction. ?If what we are thinking is true, there was never any ambition for an open a dialogue.? Tahiri was silent for a second just before a smile rose to her lips.

?Please share.? Sha said with his own chuckle. He knew what she was thinking. ?I know that look. I?ve seen it each time just before I?ve found myself staring at the ceiling from the sparring mat.?

?Hypothetically, suppose we dispatch of the final Vaksa.? Tahiri said while pointing to the west. ?Then, we dispose of the five warriors guarding the village Vaksa.?

Sha nodded to indicate that he was following as Tahiri continued.

?Then what?? She said with question.

?Ah, I think I am following your trajectory.? Sha tilted his head in contemplation. ?You are thinking that we will have an opportunity to spend our influence as we see fit. Any intervention by the High Council to temper our visit after meeting the Zem hak van Dak will be show of weakness of a different sort.?

Tahiri nodded. ?Exactly, the High Council is gambling that we will not make it. However, if we do, I think we should show the High Council the same respect that they have shown us.?

?You are thinking that we should mingle.? Sha said with a laugh.

At first Tahiri looked confused. Then, she caught on to Sha?s point.

?Yes,?mingle?and I wouldn?t be against staying away from anyone from the Intendant Class, or in decision making roles altogether until we have had an opportunity to speak frankly with the rest of the village, right down to the one who cleans up the waste.?

Sha thought about what his wife was suggesting. ?Two things.? He said. ?First of all, taking down the final Vaksa, and the Village Vaksa is not hypothetical. We will do just that.? He gave his wife a smile of confidence. ?Secondly, I would suggest that we present our thoughts to Master Solo, and let him proceed as he sees fit as the ranking Jedi. Our focus should be solely on o

20. Trepidation

Aug 3, 2005
    (On board the Indigo Sky; Yavin 4 System)

?Well, Mara, I must admit, family life certainly agrees with you. You look wonderful.? Said the tall, lean figure while removing the long salt & pepper pony tail from inside the collar of his ornate apparrel.

?You don?t appear to be starving, Karrde.? Mara responded by patting the self-confident Talon Karrde around the mid-riff.

Mara was surprised to hear a muffled chuckle escape from Shada D?ukal, who stood just behind the 'retired' pirate. She remembered the ex-Mistryl as an emotionless and loyal operator. It comforted her to see that a prolonged exposure to Karrde had opened the woman up a bit.

Karrde turned to his Lieutenant. ?I would guard that smile if I were you. It is your recent interest in gourmet cuisine that has attacked my belt.? He said mockingly.

Shada shrugged. ?I do not force you to eat it. You tend to have that covered all on your own.?

Mara smiled inwardly at the exchange. She, always, suspected that there was at least friendship between the two. It was something that Shada needed desperately. Now, she considered that there was more to the pair. She did not miss the raised eyebrow from Shada during the banter, and the hint of a smile attached to the words. They were, indeed, friends at the very least.

Mara stepped around Karrde and stopped in front of Shada. She gave a semi-formal nod of respect to her, but followed with an informal hand to the shoulder and a smile.

?Shada, it is good to see you. I hope that your employer is treating you with the due respect that you deserve. I, more than most, understand that the great Talon Karrde would be selling used droid parts out of the back of a 50 year old freighter in the Selaris system were it not for his Lieutenant.? Mara said amusingly while glancing to Karrde during the jab.

?Hello Mara. Karrde is treating me just fine. However, I wish you would have limited your comments. Chances are I will be sent to the Selaris system within the week to set up just such an operation.? Shada smiled with the delivery and a glance to her employer.

Mara chuckled and moved so she could face them both. ?Come, we are about to begin. I know you well enough?? She said while looking to Karrde. ??to assume that you have something to contribute. Otherwise, you would not have joined this little assembly.?

?My people in the Outer Rim are diligent, and resourceful. We may have a few things to add.? Karrde said in seriousness. ?My initial intention was to exploit the possibility of profit tied to this new?weapon. That ended when my Bimmiel operation perished in an attack. I had good people there. I owe them resolution.?

Mara nodded knowing that Karrde was so successful in his endeavors and for breeding loyalty among his employees for that very reason. He valued his employees, and demonstrated that trait at every opportunity.

?Good. Shall we?? Mara extended a hand from the Starboard entry back towards the bulk of the ship as Jag entered the area from the direction of the cockpit.

?Captain.? Jag extended a hand to Karrde and nodded to Shada in the process.

?Jag?good to see you. What is it with you domesticated warriors? You all look like you are basking in your own self-satisfaction.? Karrde said with a smile.

Jag took a quick glance to the floor and returned to Karrde?s face. ?My wife tells me that I will be happy and content. Anything else is unacceptable. She enlisted my daughter in that directive. I simply have no choice in the matter.? Jag finished the remark with a smile visible to all.

Mara took the opportunity to herd the group towards the meeting room that had been set up in the galley. She shook her head in wonder as she thought to herself that her Apprentice had become more powerful that she could have ever imagined.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

?I am reluctant to admit this, but we have been enjoying your accomplishments fr

21. Trepidation

Aug 3, 2005
    CHAPTER 8

(On Board the Indigo Sky; Yavin 4 System)

?I think that there is something wrong with our granddaughter.? Han whispered to Leia with all seriousness.

They were sitting towards the back of the galley where they could survey the entire room as the various participants began straggling in after an attempt to freshen-up from their Ossus jump.

Leia turned to Han to take in his concerned look. The unease transferred to her own face.

?Why would you say that? She seems fine to me.? Leia said in a similar whisper, while watching Mindrea take part in an animated conversation with her brother, Luke. She couldn?t suppress a smile at the expression on Luke?s face. He was, definitely, enjoying himself.

?Well, you saw the picture she drew of us.? Han continued in a lowered whisper. ?I don?t think she sees too well.?

At first, Leia tried to make the connection to her husband?s anxiety. She had seen the drawing, and like all good grandmothers, fawned over her granddaughter when she took it in. However, nothing implied a vision problem to her recollection.

Leia shook her head implying that she didn?t understand.

Han sighed, and looked up to the front of the galley, where Mindrea continued her conversation. ?Did you see how she drew me??

Leia tried to recall and resorted to a shrug in the effort. ?She drew you like any three-year-old would draw you. Granted, it is not something that will grace the floating walls of the Galactic Interpanetary Museum, but it was pretty good if you ask me.?

?Pretty good?? Han said louder than he intended. Looking around, he returned to a whisper. ?She thinks I look like Jabba after a three day food orgy.? There was an expression of pain in his eyes.

Leia looked back to Han and took in the expression as her own gradually morphed from a slight smile to an unhindered one. The progression continued until the silent appearance gave way to a full laugh. She had to put down the cup half filled with caf? in the process so as not to require a wardrobe change.

She tried to speak to Han, but the words couldn?t get past the laughter. The competition between the two was not an even match. The mirth that started as a relief, steadily transgressed into humor. She held up her hand to suggest that she needed a moment to recover her senses. The expression from her husband just made it worse and she moved into another round of shaking hilarity.

Han had moved on from a look of pain and disappointment to a combination between confusion and disgust. He was looking expectantly around the room, no doubt, concerned that they would be the focus of everyone?s attention. Only Jaina seemed to be watching her parents with any interest. The sight of her mother totally lost in a belly laugh was not something she saw with any frequency.

Jaina didn?t let the moment pass. She excused herself from the conversation she was having with the Barabels, and made her way back to Han and Leia.

?Mom, you Okay?? Jaina asked, barely able to keep a smile off her own face while watching her mother.

Leia tried to grab a deep breath in order to regain control and respond, but lost the ambition and continued into another *guffaw* while shaking her head.

?Dad?? Jaina turned to her father since it appeared that he was a bit more in control.

Han glared at his wife, and then turned to Jaina with a bit softer expression. ?I?I have to get Artoo and Goldenrod off the Falcon. I?ll be right back.? With that, he got up, gave Leia a final look of condemnation and strode with obvious purpose directly out the galley hatch.

Jaina returned her focus to her mother with a raised eyebrow asking for an explanation. Leia just shook her head while stifling continued inward attacks of laughter. Finally, she reached up to Jaina and pulled her by the arm to sit in the chair that Han had just left vacant. She reached into a carry bag that she had under her own chair and started digging through her things. Jaina wat

22. zettazofia

Apr 12, 2004
    Loved the backstory on how the Jedi are no longer tied to the Senate, and really loved that you've still got Mindrea doing her duties. Really helps pull the story together, and it's the kind of detail that makes this even more worth reading.
    I'm looking forward to more,
    -Zetta

23. Trepidation

Aug 3, 2005
    (On Board the Indigo Sky; Yavin 4 System)

Luke took the opportunity to review his notes on one of the datapads. His attention was drawn to the back of the room as Han entered in advance of a golden protocol droid, and Artoo. He chuckled when saw the small rectangular sight cam extend above the little droid and canvass the room. As expected, Artoo stopped the scan abruptly when facing in his exact direction. C3PO did the same with just a touch more humanity. His oval shaped head did a slow survey of the room, and he moved, stiffly, to his right to stand behind Leia. Had 3PO not been a droid, Luke would have wondered if it was not a conscious effort to get as far away from Han as possible.

Luke cleared his throat again, to secure the attention of the room just as Artoo skirted up to his side in a greeting of warbles and beeps.

?Hi Artoo.? Luke smile while looking down to the angled dome. ?Glad you could join us. I?m going to have a job for you.?

The mech droid responded with an enthusiastic series of beeps.

Luke bent down to review the translation screen on the droid. ?Important? As a matter of fact, it?s very important. We?ll get to it shortly. OK??

Artoo responded with two short tones that Luke was sure matched up in Basic to ?OK? and turned back to the group.

?Let?s get to it.? He said in a raised voice to drown out the various conversations. ?I will try to be concise in my comments. After we are finished here, I understand the Fel?s, with some welcome assistance, are preparing a nice dinner for us all. We will all get a good night?s sleep, and we can start first thing tomorrow morning.?

?What I?d like to do now is make various assignments. We have broken up everyone into small teams that will be given a focus and some direction. But, to be honest, I?m not quite sure what we are looking for. It will be up to each of you to follow your instincts. Perhaps ?investigation? is not the forte of the Jedi. However, I am afraid it is a necessity until we can answer three very important questions.? Luke looked around the room to assure himself that everyone was paying attention.

?We need to find out who is doing this. We need to find out how they are pulling it off.? Luke paused.

?Most importantly, however, we need to find out why these attacks are occurring.? Luke said with a bit more emphasis. ?It is my assumption that once we know why, we will have the necessary information to answer the first two queries.?

?Each of you was given a datacard that holds all the information we could accumulate on the four Outer Rim attacks. Unfortunately, there is not much information in that regard.
    We hope to subsidize that information with what we accumulate over the next few days, planet side. ?Luke looked to Mara and she nodded. ?You, also, have a separate datacard that includes a preliminary analysis of the attacks that was prepared by our Intelligence analyst. It is far from conclusive based on the scant information we have been able to acquire. However, let me outline the consistencies that are present.?

?First of all, each attack seems to occur just after an unidentified ?beacon? arrives in-system. This ?beacon? arrives unattached to any other craft, and to date, there has been no information on its jump coordinates. Therefore, we don?t know where it is coming from.? Luke glanced to his datapad.

?The standard procedure for planetary Defense is to send in a recognizance flight to provide Ground with a visual. This means that in each case, a full squadron has been deployed to get close to the ?beacon? and return data to the closest communications center.? Luke sighed. ?In each case, Ground lost contact with the deployed squadron, almost, as soon as it was deployed.?

Jag stirred at this news. ?You are thinking that there is a breech in the encrypted communications, or, worse, there is someone on the ground feeding information to the perpetrators.?

Kyp turne

24. zettazofia

Apr 12, 2004
    Oooh, very interesting.
    I look forward to seeing what they find- and seeing the groups working together. :)
    -Zetta

25. Trepidation

Aug 3, 2005
    CHAPTER 9

The Final VAKSA

?How long does it last?? Ben asked while staring at the stationery warrior.

?Only a short while, but that?s all we?ll need.? Tahiri responded while smoothing out the windblown hair of her daughter.

Ben had watched the Jedi pull a small insect from her living pack and carefully administer it to the arm of the fifth Vaksa ensconced in blorash jelly. Within seconds, it appeared as if the warrior had gone limp.

?The venom is not very dangerous. It just shuts down the voluntary nervous system and slows the heart rate. The respiratory system remains unaffected.? Tahiri continued. ?We, probably, have about one standard hour based on the size of this warrior.?

Ben nodded in understanding while noticing that Tahiri seemed to be building up her resolve to leave her daughter and face the most difficult challenges of the Zem hak van Dak.

?I will give you some privacy.? Ben said as he started towards the Cascade. Then he stopped and turned to Tahiri. ?Do not worry about Symerra, we?ve become pretty good friends. Not long from now, we?ll join you in the village to honor your successful completion of the Zem hak van Dak. Right Sym?

Tahiri smiled in appreciation, and a bit of surprise, at the perceptiveness of the young Apprentice. Symerra reacted as Ben had hoped. She was shocked that Ben would call her a good friend. Her smile exposed that to the other two. Ben turned to the Sekotan ship as he sent strength and resolve to both of them, in turn, through the Force.

?So you have been making friends, love?? Tahiri asked while she marveled at the maturity of the twelve-year-old walking in the distance.

?I guess so. Ben helps me look out of the viewer because I?m too short.? Symerra responded as she looked up to her mother?s face. ?Are you, almost, finished??

?Almost Symerra. Almost.? Tahiri said as she noticed Sha walking toward her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sha finished up briefing Jacen and Harrar on his plan and was returning to the thicket to spend a short while with his wife and daughter before they had to move on. As he approached, he met Ben walking the opposite direction.

Ben smiled to him as the two met. ?My Master believes that training in Yuuzhan Vong tactics would be a welcome addition to my education.?

Sha stopped and looked to the Apprentice with a chuckle. ?So he tells me. You did not waste any time.?

?Early Percoss gets?? Ben started.

??the clumset worm.? Sha finished with a laugh. ?You know, I have nightmares about that little saying. Your mother, my Master, used to use it every time she woke me up in the middle of the night for some sadistic exercise she dreamed up during my training.?

Now it was Ben?s turn to laugh. ?I seem to recall the same saying each time I was told to clean my room.? Ben turned serious in an instant. He glanced over his shoulder at Tahiri and Symerra in the process.

?Sha, may the Force be with you both.? He said with all the dignity he could muster for his age.

?Ah, yes. And with you as well Apprentice Ben Skywalker. But, also, with us will be a good plan I hope. We will see you in the village.? Sha said in return and moved past him towards his family.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

?Hello there ladies.? Sha said with a smile.

?Daddy!? Symerra exclaimed while jumping up and giving him a hug around his leg.

Sha glanced to his wife and tapped his wrist to signal that it was time as he bent low to envelop Symerra in a hug. He pulled her back just a bit and looked into the shining blue eyes of the little girl.

?We have to go little one. But, we will see you again shortly. I am quite sure that a big kiss would shave off a couple minutes from our separation.? Sha said with a smile.

?I believe that the proper term for such a promise is, ?bribery?.? Tahiri said deadpan.

Sha chuckled as he got a big kiss on the cheek. ?And, I am quit

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.