main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books A/V DARK DISCIPLE (Ventress/Vos novel) (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Mace Windu is a CIA agent, not a holy monk. CIA agents are better at strategizing and dealing with threats than holy monks. He is dispassionate, unattached, and effective, precisely what he's supposed to be according to the teachings. The other Jedi could learn something from the guy.

Gesendet von meinem GT-P5210 mit Tapatalk

2. Darth-Plagueis0207

Darth-Plagueis0207 Jedi Padawan

May 25, 2015
    Ventress do not have "Hair"

3. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I love that "Hair" is in quotation marks. And the H is capital.

From now on, when correlating hair with Ventress, hair must be written "Hair." Just like SLOANE and "the Wendig" are things now.

'Ventress do not have "Hair"': the next "Cad Bane does he contradict the EU". [face_laugh]

Darthmaul208 and Random Comments like this.
  4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    It could work.

"She's Rattataki" becomes the new "He's Duros."

Revanfan1, darthosaka and Gorefiend like this.
  5. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Perhaps Hair is actually a sentient creature, on its way to metamorphose into a Hat?

6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I thought it was a musical.

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  7. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sha'rellian_toop [face_whistling]

darthosaka likes this.
  8. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    It seems most of the Clone Wars loyalists really liked the book, and most of the EU loyalists hated the book. I guess i'm curious to hear from other folks, for instance the movie purists. The anakinfansince1983 review(s) were great for that reason.

FYI, I'm a TCW loyalist and really liked most of the book. I think the first 2/3 really felt like i was watching the show and watching Ventress episodes which were some of the best. Some of the last 1/3 I could tell that it was the more rough Katie Lucas script that didn't get the full TCW rewrite. But the ending was quite poetic and I loved the way it tied back to the Nightsisters and Obi-Wan's POV about Ventress. I will echo the list of The Shadow Emperor for those who haven't watched those episodes, even if you're not a TCW fan, I think most folks will enjoy them.

pronker and darskpine10 like this.
  9. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    EU loyalist and I enjoyed TCW and I enjoyed this, if it helps.

Sent from the World

10. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    I've always enjoyed the EU and CW and I feel the novel fit nicely with both. I like to look at the broad EU as events that could have happened, and many likely did - but its too much of a chore for Disney / LFL to track them now so they become "legends". Its just another way of defining what the EU already was - Tholme, Vos, and Ventress could have very likely been involved in the various other stories from the EU, even with this novels canon status. We know the ultimate fate of Ventress and Tholme, but we shouldn't let that diminish their other EU stories that we enjoy.

11. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Trip
    I'd like to read this, if you recall where it was hosted. I hope not here, because of the truncated stories issue ... :_|

Before DD returns to the library, one or two thoughts:
    1. + A good and touching love story is its main attraction, and about 50 pages in, it became obvious that I wasn't going to read a lot of space battles, but more of the personality arcs. Very well then. The pairing is one of the things I liked about TCW, different characters such as Ahsoka and Hondo thrown together for plot purposes, woohoo! I liked the buildup to the pairing, and the fact that Obi-Wan gave Quinlan advice on how to deal with Asajj. That alone was worth the read. Actually, I was surprised about the romance, as it seemed maybe a flirty thing would go on as they worked together but nothing further.
    2. + The sense that the Council headed down that dark path for a reason, and only after 2 1/2 years of war had decimated the galaxy. The method tied in with the cherished Republic comic version of Quinlan's role in the war. Now TCW-Q is a different bird, and yeah there were nods to his EU self, but really, outside of The Devaronian Version, Q was grim as any EU character could be.
    3. + The cover, Asajj's new 'do and all.
    4. - The rushed quality towards the end, dang. Lots of planet hopping. The renewed look at crystalline Christophsis would have been visually pleasing if it were animated, and if this is the end of anything TCW coming out of Disney, I'll go out with that last mental image of shattering crystal. After 38 years, I'm so uncaring about the OT at this point, though *ducks thrown shoes*[face_cowboy] and if that's Disney's focus, well. Maybe leave the fandom?
    5. - What??? No more 'freshers, they're restrooms now? Page 79 says so.:mad:
    6. + 109 pages of discussion! Drinking! A shot each time Asajj's hair is described as 'soft silky blonde fuzz'!
    7. 8/10 because funeral.

12. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    They've been restrooms since A New Dawn. It's intentional.

Revanfan1 and pronker like this.
  13. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    No kidding! Did not know that, thanks.

14. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Just finished the novel and I have to agree with anakinfan's assessment of it that some of it is really good and some of it is really not so good. There were times when I thought this was the best novel of the new cannon and there were times when I thought this was the worst book of the new cannon.

I liked the parts where Vos and Ventress were on their missions and I thought those parts had good to great development. However the latter part of the book made me think I was witnessing a story about Jack and Rose, or Anakin and Padme, or those two kids from the notebook, all over again.

I'm not sure if the love story was created from the TCW writing team or if it was Golden's invention but in anycase I think it could have been focused on less than it was. I think them just having sex and growing fond of each other would have fit better than them actually falling in love with one another did.

15. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015
    Did Vos and Ventress have sex? If they did I don't recall it from the book, just flirting and lots of kisses. I know what the comment above meant, but did they? I really can't tell..[face_plain]

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Of course they had sex. The book refers to them waking up next to each other in bed, being "lovers," and I'm pretty sure there is at least one reference to their seeing each other without clothes on.

Not sure what that emoticon is about. jamminjedi is right. Them having sex and becoming friendly is much better/in character than what we got in the last part of that book.

Anakin/Padme or some of the Nicholas Sparks romances were actually better/less cavity-inducing than the last part of that book. And that's pretty damn bad. At least Anakin's bad lines can be excused because he had no idea what the hell he was doing.

The only thing that could have made Vostress worse would have been no sex.

17. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Does Golden try to put romance stories in a lot of her books? I'm trying to think how the story would have went down if it had actually been a TCW arc. I could see them deciding to assassinate Dooku, teaming Ventress and Vos up, Vos getting captured, and them going to rescue him. I can't really see them putting any of that Vos/Ventress love story in there though and if I had to bet that was something Golden made up on her own.

18. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Does Golden try to put romance stories in a lot of her books? I ... think so? From reading her Star Trek books at first publication, this is what I recall about them.

19. Dante1120

Dante1120 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 5, 2006
    At least Vostress wasn't abusive.

pronker likes this.
  20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    That and the fact that it started out well, are the only two good things I can say about it.

Dante1120 likes this.
  21. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    jamminjedi23 The Vos and Ventress relationship was in the TCW scripts as well. It just wasn't as fleshed out as it was in the book. Golden's said as much in interviews. Basically all she did was slow the book down (if you can believe that) and flesh out the locations, thoughts and scenery of given scenes. I don't even think she added any characters.

22. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    That's one of the primary reasons I'd love to see the full animatic after reading the novel - to know exactly what was added or removed by the author. She gave the love story a depth the cartoon never would have - its arguable whether that helped or hurt the novel. I believe she added enough content to slightly alter both Ventress and Vos compared to their previous appearances.

23. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    She created the Mahran characters.

24. Huttslime

Huttslime Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 1, 2015
    Was a great story in spite of some of what more extreme EU crybabies will say. Golden did a great job integrating EU elements i,e Tholme, brief similarities to Vos's fall in the Republic comics, and the massive skill increase for Vos was shocking to me.

25. darthosaka

darthosaka Jedi Master star 1

Oct 25, 2012
    How condescending.