main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books A/V DARK DISCIPLE (Ventress/Vos novel) (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    What I'm saying is...was her mind wiped (Revaned) and reinstated?

2. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Yet to be determent as the next arc of the Kanan comic will likely go into it.

3. Davak24

Jul 15, 2015
    That's cool. Shatterpoint is a masterpiece. It's good to see something from the old days is being treated with respect.

spicer and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  4. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Not really. Kanan #1 refers to Depa Billaba as having been incapacitated at an earlier point and that her recovery is a surprise to the Separatists. There's also a reference to a "Rostu Squad". But that's it. There's no mention of Haruun Kal, Kar Vastor, Depa's crimes against civilization and Mace Windu's attempt to capture her. Shatterpoint didn't occur in canon, and if it had, Depa Billaba would not have been given back the rank of Master and returned to the front lines, she would have been put on trial for her many crimes just like Kar Vastor was and would have been sentenced to prison on Kessel. The Council forgave Vos for his crimes in Dark Disciple so I guess it's possible that they could have forgiven Billaba. But based on Mace Windu's statements in Shatterpoint, Depa Billaba was charged with the highest crime the Republic had. I sincerely doubt that the Senate and courts would have forgiven her, considering how ready they were to execute Ahsoka.

Abadacus likes this.
  5. Davak24

Jul 15, 2015
    Well, ****. I was considering buying the Kanan comics because Shatterpoint was suppose to be mentioned.

6. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I can assure you that it is not. There is a single offhand mention of "Rostu Squad" and a single offhand mention of Depa Billaba being "incapacitated" prior to the events of the comic. That's all there is, as Depa Billaba is shot and killed in the first few panels of Kanan #2. The allusions to Shatterpoint in the comics are very small and were probably put there as an Easter Egg for fans of the Legends universe.

Sorry to disappoint you, Davak.

Abadacus likes this.
  7. Davak24

Jul 15, 2015
  8. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Ofee also requires a pardon for the old canon to work. Vos gets one, Ofee needs one, Depa would need one for it all to work out. I'm content with that stretch of knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quinlan solo likes this.
  9. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    [​IMG]

ATimson and Abadacus like this.
  10. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

You should get them anyway, they are brilliant ;) and as mentioned something happend to her, which the next arc will go into.

11. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    It doesn't just mention she was incapacitated - the intelligence states that she was thought to be "unstable," which is a clearer approximation. It's clear that the writers are referencing Shatterpoint, even if they're planning on changing the story.

12. thatpatguy

thatpatguy Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 26, 2015
    It's a real shame. Troy Denning used to be one of my favorite EU authors but FotJ and Crucible really ruined him and somewhat the entire EU for me.

Vialco likes this.
  13. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Maybe that was the point, so that you wouldn't miss it.

14. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I'm not even entirely joking when I say that if Denning had taken control only a couple of years before the reboot, I would have wondered if he had been a deliberate plant to make it more acceptable to fans.

15. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Jeez, I thought Crucible pretty bad as well, but I am not in the all things Denning are evil camp. I liked all his prior SW stuff, and, yes, that includes DNT.

I, personally, don't get how one book would sour your liking for all his past works you professed to have liked...much less the entire EU.

Loved FOTJ. (Yes, I'm one of those people I guess...but, really, contrary to the dominant narrative on the TFN forums, the much larger majority seems to have liked the series--while I enjoy the review threads, I've always held they are not a generalizable sample. The methodology is pretty simplistic and flawed as well, but that is appropriate for the purposes of these forums).

16. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
  17. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I don't like to blame conspiracies when plain old ineptitude (even if that's too strong a word) is the most likely culprit.

I still LOL'd.

18. Davak24

Jul 15, 2015
    I'm still reading to find out. I don't want to upset DarthStymi with my one note posting. ;)

19. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Don't fail me again!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Sinrebirth and Davak24 like this.
  20. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    I really liked the DNT, oddly enough. I read the Killik nests as a clever metaphor for the Force and the dark side, though.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  21. thatpatguy

thatpatguy Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 26, 2015
    I still love the EU but FotJ and especially Crucible made me grateful that there's a new canon. I'll always miss NJO, the Thrawn books, Shatterpoint, etc. But the direction things were going... I'm very happy they're not going there anymore.

22. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    Watched AOTC recently. Find this contrast actually quite meaningful:
    [​IMG]
    "You know, my lady, that Count Dooku was once a Jedi. He couldn't assassinate anyone. It's not in his character."

--
    Cut to 3+ years later
    --

[​IMG]
    "Have the Jedi really explored every option? Could we have ended this war sooner? Could we, in fact, end it right now? . . . One man's life must be weighed against those of potentially millions of innocent. Isn't protecting the innocent the very definition of what it means to be a Jedi? We are failing the Republic and its citizens. We must stop this - now...The question before us now is -- who will strike the killing blow?"

--
    And prepares for the full transition to, instead of hiring out someone, being willing to do the job himself:
    --

[​IMG]

23. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I read this book recently. I really enjoyed it.

I liked Boil and Jesse's small cameos, and I'm glad this book shows that Rex is still serving Anakin well into Season 8.

I didn't mind that they cut the Bounty Hunter fight, because in prose form it probably would have felt too much like padding, without the visuals.

When I reached the ending I was listen to the music from the end of The Wrong Jedi, when Ahsoka leaves. Just as the book ended, the track perfectly moved on the section that plays over the credits, and it felt the Clone Wars had ended again. I'll miss the show

24. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    ... so Denning probably writing NEU novels means, what exactly?

Abadacus likes this.
  25. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    That I won't be reading those books.

Vthuil and Abadacus like this.