main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books A/V DARK DISCIPLE (Ventress/Vos novel) (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Jul 25, 2014.

1. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

True, but here's a scenario I'd picture: If Maul is alive, his actions take him to Tatooine. Obi-Wan confronts him, not out of any sense of revenge, but to protect Luke. If the Empire discovers Maul was there, Vader would come and that's the last thing Obi-Wan wants.

pronker likes this.
  2. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Why would Maul go to Tatooine ? I don't see any reason for that, he needs to establish a new power base and wait for the right time in the shadows.

3. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    You forget, Maul's already been to Tatooine, in Eminence, to visit Jabba's palace.

pronker likes this.
  4. Erkan12

Nov 27, 2013
    What's got to do anything with what I said ? Maul went to Tatooine, for only dealing with Jabba. In SoD, Hutts already abandoned Maul, Maul still has no business with Tatooine.

5. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    But it does give him some motivation for going back, for either vengeance on the Hutts, or seeking to convince them to join him again.

pronker likes this.
  6. GoingInside

GoingInside Jedi Master star 1

Mar 31, 2013
    To be fair, NO ONE has any business on Tatooine. And yet, we still end up there, in almost every game, in 5/7 movies, and in countless books.

ekrolo2, Zer0, Barriss_Coffee and 4 others like this.
  7. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    If Maul went to Tatooine for Jabba the Hutt, Jabba would be dead unless Jabba worked out a deal but its doubtful. There is no reason for Darth Maul and Kenobi to cross paths on Tatooine - and if he did he would kill Kenobi and the Hutt and take Luke . I do find it interesting that both Kenobi and Maul survived getting cut in half, Kenobi would become a ghost and Maul a cyborg. It is not likely Maul bothered with the Hutts since they were about as useful and reliable as Weequay Pirates and Hondo . Death Watch and Maul may of fell back and regrouped like the Imperials did post ROTJ in the Unknown Regions and they came back some 30 years later as the First Order.

8. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Or you know Jabba just killed him. :p

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  9. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014

:p

pronker likes this.
  10. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    All the more reason to have him killed when he shows up again.

11. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    "I was killing your kind when being a Jedi meant something."

Have we yet seen anything that this Jabba quote from RotJ novel could reference?

12. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    "I was occasionally trying to kill your kind when being a Jedi meant something, and doing about as poor a job of it as I will with you."

...yeah, it lacks a certain something, doesn't it?

Random Comments likes this.
  13. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    In the old EU he killed Sharad Hett.

14. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I can't believe this thread is still going.

Any way...ridiculousness of Maul surviving aside (because Star Wars is all about realism), don't you see, the Old Wounds story is still a possibility (in some form).

That short what if story is the reason they brought Maul back. Or at least had some kind of influence.

If you don't want to see that happen, you should clearly quit Star Wars.

15. Erkan12

Nov 27, 2013
    The first look of him maybe (and his legs changed later either), but not the story, Maul's story was completely different than that. He had a brother, and mother, more importantly he tries to take revenge from Sidious as well.

Maul still has no business with Kenobi anymore and he has no reason to go Tatooine. If you are making this comment without gaining information about Maul's story in TCW, you are the one should quit Star Wars.

16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Even if they did Old Wounds again, as a TV episode instead of a comic, it would be different in certain respects - the original stressed that Maul was pursuing Obi-Wan from Naboo, to Mustafar, then to Tatooine. Going by the comic, Maul had not encountered Obi-Wan during the Clone Wars - Obi-Wan is shocked that Maul survived.

So - some of Obi-Wan's statements, and Maul's, would have to be different.

17. Erkan12

Nov 27, 2013
    His looks will be different as well, since he has his original legs now (but metal ones instead of flesh) and more importantly Duchess Satine added in Maul's killing list next to Qui-Gon.

Iron_lord likes this.
  18. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    You're an intense dude.

That was tongue in cheek. Seriously, chill.

This only Star Wars we're talking about.

19. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I agree.

20. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007

That was my thought!

And as much as I am enjoying Rebels and its underlying arc and have just seen TFA, I don't want to quit TCW or any of its themes. Maul included.[face_thinking]

21. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    The good old ''you don't agree with my opinion, therefore you're not a true Star Wars Fan'' trick, it's a forum classic :p

22. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Gahhh finally finished this a few days ago and had to think about it. Then forgot. Ok I'm back again.

There are parts of this book I like. It could have been great. It was probably cool to seen on screen. And Ventress's funeral was beautiful.

But.

This exchange in the last chapter (LAST chapter) sums up the rest of my feelings:
    Quinlan: "For this moment, the dark side is not our enemy."
    Kenobi: "Why not?"
    Quinlan: "Here, the dark side belongs to the Nightsisters. And we are returning one of their own. I -- I don't know how I know it, but I do."
    Kenobi: "I believe you."

That's the problem. The book doesn't really know what the Dark Side is, nor attempts to explore it. This could have been a very philosophical book -- it didn't have to reach Traitor-level, but it could have been great. Instead the Dark Side is treated like a switch, and Ventress and Quinlan just turn it on and off, and the author uses it whenever they need to plot to move in the direction they want. There are no rules or consistency. Sometimes the Dark Side is bad. Sometimes... it's not that bad. (?!?)

The repercussions of what the characters do is never explored. Before Quinlan even goes dark, he helps Ventress tear apart Moregi's family, then Krim's family. He doesn't contemplate whether the first was wrong (nor does the narration give the impression that we should feel bad about that), and he barely has time to dwell on the second (again, the narration doesn't kick in to give us clues that was a bad thing he did). And the story never goes back to those points. Later, Quinlan continues to do a bunch of horrendous stuff, and essentially just says "sorry" at the end and everyone thinks he's fine. Twice. Because the first time he apologizes he screws up again.

So overall this story lacks moral weight. The closest it comes is the ethics of assassinating a war criminal (Dooku), but it doesn't pay attention to the myriad other problems it raises.

But... it could have been good. There are creative ideas here, they're just thrown together in a really weird way.

23. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Maybe there is simply different theories of the what the Dark Side is, one school of thought said this another that or individual opinions on it varied. Perhaps Palpatine was clouding Anakin's mind with ethical confusion, but even still there was some truth to that good and evil is a point of view and the Jedi study a very narrow dogmatic view of the Force whereas the Sith apparently study just the Force in all its aspects, Light and Dark concepts to achieve greater knowledge and wisdom which equals power. Yoda maintained the Dark Side would forever dominate your destiny apparently despite witnessing Ventress and Vos proving that wrong and later he'd be proved wrong again with Anakin. So not sure, also the Jedi were under the Dark Side's influence so how much can we take what the Jedi state as absolute truth at face value or word of mouth alone. Also different practitioners of the Dark Side apparently have different experiences with it, such as the Nightsisters. There is also different views of Force in TCW, the Jedi and Sith arent the only Force based religions, and both the Sith and the Jedi are gonna believe they have the right idea and thats why they're always trying to wipe eachother out in a basic snake eating its own tail fashion.

pronker likes this.
  24. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    I feel the CW series and many of the comics and novels that followed, like DD, showed us that the darkside of the Force didn't consume everyone that was its practitioner. The Nightsisters and Ventress are good examples of characters that weren't pure evil, like some of the Sith. Not only can the darkside be used on occasion by a Force sensitive being, it doesn't always alter oneself and make you evil. I feel much of what Yoda said were desperate warnings - not necessarily all based in fact.

pronker and Iron_lord like this.
  25. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Excellent response, M.T. The 'dominate your destiny' phrase leaves room for speculation. A slippery slope? A desperate warning from someone isolated for two decades, with survivor guilt?[face_thinking]

Mother_Talzin likes this.