main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books A/V DARK DISCIPLE (Ventress/Vos novel) (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Jul 25, 2014.

1. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Speaking as someone who loves Ventress, I'm really not interested in seeing more of her in the NEU so I can watch her character get mangled.

Vos, on the other hand - if it's based solely upon the "I'm really based on the real QUINLAN VOS much like that movie with Will Smith was really based upon I, ROBOT", not-at-all-one-off-Jedi-slapped-with-a-popular-EU-character-name, that doesn't really have any meaning.

But it does beg the question, if it's part of the CWAS, if we can start instituting a similar policy for the LEU continuity as they are for the NEU and the old EU - that the CWAS and associated material is there if an LEU source wants to use it, otherwise it's not canon. [face_thinking]

2. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    I don't see the Vos personality issue as disrupting canon. I don't deny that it's different, but it's just abstract enough to look at it as a big mythological text which simply doesn't nail one of the details.

3. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014

I think you just lost me in acronyms... Take pity on a newbie. :D

4. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    CWAS - Clone Wars (the) Animated Series, or my stubborn refusal to use "TCW", because that implies there wasn't a much better "Clone Wars" cartoon before it.
    LEU - Aka the Legendary Expanded Universe, or all the Star Wars stuff made minus Infinities, a novel, and a short story.
    NEU - The New Universe, a quickly forgotten Marvel series in the late 80s that was supposed to be a proto-Ultimates, or something.
    EU - See: LEU. Although, technically, it doesn't include the movies or the CWAS, so maybe 'subset' of the LEU is a better word.

Wait, the NEU is actually the "New Not-Expanded Singular Universe" of Star Wars where supposedly future movie writers will have to bow to the wishes of some guy who wrote a short story a year or two prior regarding the subject they wanted to cover.
    Jello will tell you he invented that acronym, but he's a filthy liar plus an Imperialist to boot. I'll tell you that I was the one to create it, but I'm also lying.

blackmyron - Not an acronym, but a compound word consisting of 'black = black-hearted cynic' and 'myron = ... uh, myron'.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  5. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    "The new novel starring Asajj Ventress..." :D "...and Quinlan Vos..." [face_dancing] "...by Christie Golden." [face_phbbbbt]

TC

6. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    This begs to ask a bigger question, we know of the clone wars movie (4 episodes) and the 4 seasons at 22 episodes each with season 5 having 20 and the last season having just 13 for a grand total of 125 epsiodes that came out that were animated. The stories are all from GL and tweaked by Filoni. Okay, that was or is or who knows suppose to end TCW. As we move forward, we know that Filoni has interest in bringout the rest of teh material for everyone. How that is going to happen is right up in the air, with the difference that now as opposed to before all novels and comic books and even video games (until told otherwise) are part of the overall offical canon. So, we are three issues in on an unaired episode of TCW which is official. Now, we have a novel that will cover another arc that was written but never produced. What happens to the rest? Are we still getting them and if we are what kind of format are we looking at? Without knowning anything, I can only surmise that the release of this book means that this is very important arc for Ventress and maybe even Vos. But more Ventress here.

7. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    Wait... doesn't calling it "CWAS" have more of an implication that it's the only series, as opposed to "TCW" which specifies the "The" specifically to differentiate it from "CW" which was the prior series? Like, you can say, "I liked CW better than TCW," but what would you say with yours?

Random Comments likes this.
  8. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    yeah I thought CWAS better served the earlier one because it was animated

but I guess this is one of those things like

The Ohio State

or

The Islamic State

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  9. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    I hope the arc with Echo and Rex surfaces at some point like this one and the Darth Maul arc have. It would be interesting to see how Echo survived and maybe get a fate for Rex.

Clone Trooper Rex likes this.
  10. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005

I think you can fully expect an adult novel about Ahsoka's daddy issues and how she tries to resolve them through sex, drugs, and alcohol.

Zorrixor likes this.
  11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  12. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Because "CW" is how I originally referred to what became known as the "micro-series", and as you can see it's confusing to have CW and TCW. Plus, I'm obstinate.

13. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I will claim to having invented NEU.

14. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    You really need to get a trademark on that.

15. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Yeah, this about sums up my reaction. I've not heard great things about Golden in general. But hey, maybe this'll put a stop to those ridiculous rumors that Ventress will be in the ST at the very least.

16. Heat

Heat Jedi Master star 1

Apr 5, 2006
    Pfft, I want the Sword of the Jedi trilogy! And more Vestara. I'd hate it if Crucible was the end.

I am not a fan of Ventress or the Clone Wars. But I liked the bit of Vos we got from Maul Lockdown. How did Jabba know Vos? Maybe this book can explain.

Darth_Henning likes this.
  17. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I know aliens can have different lifespans than humans but honestly, keep Ventress and company in the TCW or DT eras.

Darkslayer likes this.
  18. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Your killing me with this

19. Heat

Heat Jedi Master star 1

Apr 5, 2006
    Whoops, got Vosa mixed up with Vos.

20. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Just get a novel or something out that does the battle of Coruscant and the abduction of Palpatine!

Darkslayer likes this.
  21. agentkrycek

agentkrycek Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 4, 2012
    Glad to see more unaired TCW stories being adapted. I always thought Vos was underutilized in the series while Ventress became one of the show's best characters, so getting more of both is always a good thing.

22. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    The sad thing is that in a facebook group I'm in, somebody asked who should write the VII novelization and nearly everyone said Denning.

23. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    What group?

24. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    Quinlan Vos was my favorite PT Era Jedi, and all around one of my favorite Star Wars characters. He had solid storylines, good character development, and interesting side characters. More than anything i'm happy he's still around in the NEU, and feel obligated to read anything featuring him in it. A novel for him is something i've wanted for a long time, and Ventress is a decent enough character to make for fun situations. Not necessarily a fan of Golden as a writer, but i'm willing to give this a chance along with all the others novels announced so far.

Sudooku, Revanfan1, cdgodin and 4 others like this.
  25. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    I'm just relieved that we are finally getting a new novel that really expands the universe with a focus on new characters and new events not tightly linked to on-screen events, instead of the books that are tightly connected to movie or TV characters like we got in the original announcement.