main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books A/V DARK DISCIPLE (Ventress/Vos novel) (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Jul 25, 2014.

1. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    Where is this interview?

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    The best fix answer you'll likely find for that one? He really tried to make it work! The others didn't care1

3. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Everything Allston wrote outside of FotJ? Still very good. But even his FotJ contributions were very... sub-par. I hated Outcast, mainly for the scene where Luke "negotiates" to be kicked off Coruscant.

And he said that in an interview? Hm, no wonder several FotJ scenes played out like some alternate universe fanfic. I just cannot accept the idea of Daala as anything other than a villain, not without another dozen books of characters development like Pellaeon had.

Force Smuggler and Jedi Ben like this.
  4. Granek

Granek Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2012
    I mentioned this in another thread a while back as soon as I saw the title

I think Vos and Ventress are the parents of Ezra. my rational is as follows. The novel is stated to have 'adult themes'-possibly romantic involvement We don't get a 'good look' at his parents and they are clearly working against the Empire 'behind the scenes' . Ezra is clearly using psychometry the past two episodes seems to solidify my assumption. His hair while not as dreaded as Vos' it has a bit of his aspect but a bit finer. He also looks like Vos a bit.

what do you all think?

5. Granek

Jan 12, 2012
    I personally like his fight scenes better than any other author AA did dialogue great.. he also had to follow Karen's super powered mando anti Jedi novels in FOTJ that didn't help much

6. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

[​IMG]

7. A8T

A8T Jedi Master star 2

Jun 9, 2014
    Could be, but just very unlikely. Ezra's parents have already been given the names Mira and Ephraim, but I suppose they could be fake names.

8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    He goes way too overboard on the injuries and descriptions of the injuries for my tastes.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  9. Granek

Jan 12, 2012

how do you explain his clear use of psychometry? now it could be that both or one of his parents were Kiffar that being said, Disney wants to link everything together. Novels, movies, future games I'm sure, that makes pretty good sense when you think about the timeline and how old Ezra is during Rebels.

10. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013

Well, my skepticism comes from the fact that Ezra looks completely human. If Ventress was his Ma, you'd think he'd be incredibly pale, or something, and he's not. It's a good theory, but I don't think that psychometry at all implies Quinlan is his Dad. Psychometry is not a Kiffar-exclusive skill (see: Aryn Leneer in Deceived used it, IIRC).

11. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Also, we've heard his parents talk. Next week's episode Empire Day has both of them speaking and neither sounds like Ventress or Vos, nor do they share actors/actresses.

12. Granek

Jan 12, 2012
    Force Empathy what she had-not the same thing; the only other Force users to use this are Luke and some Dark Jedi Kyle fought Boc Aseca in a video game-not sure if that counts. In any event we shall see. I'm hoping Rebels shows more of Ezras parents sans the cloak and dagger stuff

I saw it already being in the US, that is true but doesn't mean much

13. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
  14. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013

Oh yeah, empathy. My bad, I got the two confused.

15. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Going by his completely-uninvested responses to questions in the LOTF round-table interview, I think it's pretty clear he didn't care. After all, his main contribution to that was to say that Jacen's storyline was "the generation gap with lightsabers", whatever that means.

16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    He made a lot more contributions that that - the context of that statement was when debating the horrible upbringing of the Solo children, and the ludicrous amounts of danger they were exposed to very young.

His comment in the discussion of family relationships is also interesting.

Random House: "The Jedi of Yoda's day believed that romantic and family relationships between Jedi could only lead to disaster. Hasn't that view been pretty well borne out by the history of Darth Vader and his children and grandchildren?"
    Aaron Allston: "I think the Republic-era belief that attachment leads to disaster is on-target, but I hope we're going to show that not all love matches constitute that form of attachment. My belief is that any number of Jedi could marry and have kids without invoking tragedy. I think part of the problem is that the Skywalker family is about as important as, and about as lucky as, the house of Atreus from Greek mythology. That is to say, very important ... but not very lucky."
    Karen Traviss: "No, I'm inclined to think Yoda got it right. Jedi shouldn't be allowed to have families. These people are superweapons, and once they lose the ability to detachhowever much moral decline that so-called detachment got them into in the late Republicthen their family feuds will end up dragging in the whole galaxy. The Legacy of the Force saga is basically a family spat involving an ex or two that creates galactic war. Do they see the irony? I don't know. But like all people with vast power and a sense of dynastic entitlement, they take their eye off the ball andwhatever they think they are doingmake decisions based on what's good for the people they love, not the majority. They're only human. Trouble is, their powers and their influence aren't ..."
    Troy Denning: "Let's not forget that a lot of good came from Anakin Skywalker's line: Luke, Leia, Anakin Solo, Jaina ... We'll have to see about Ben, but even Jacen was responsible for ending the Yuuzhan Vong war."

17. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    Could those three people be on any pages more different?

18. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    I love how Aaron is pointing out the flawed view of love and attachment and saying how it can be rectified and KT is all NO. JEDI SHOULD NEVER BE ALLOWED TO BREED.

19. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013

Said the woman who had a Jedi make a baby with a clone. :p

20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Did she really? Jesus.

Granek likes this.
  21. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    Said Jedi also had the most idiotic Order 66 death of all time.

22. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013

I wanted to like Etain, I really did. Most of the time, she really was likable. But she was so, so stupid sometimes! :oops:

cdgodin and Riv_Shiel like this.
  23. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    I read how she died on Wookieepedia and I was just like

[face_plain]

o_O

:confused:

:rolleyes:

:oops:

Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  24. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    Etain was a very disturbed individual, not unlike Anakin in a way. Her whole existence was basically to put a spotlight on how uncaring the Jedi were if they relied on emotionally and mentally unstable teenagers to lead their army.

25. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Etain makes more sense if you think of the RC series as one big soap opera, where characters are supposed to be overly-emotional idiots.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.