main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books A/V DARK DISCIPLE (Ventress/Vos novel) (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Why_So_Serious

Why_So_Serious Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 27, 2013
    Yes, there is. If Superman used his laser vision to drill a hole into the head of a bank robber, that would be cold-blooded murder, irrespective of that fact that he was engaged in a reprehensible act himself at the time.

Among Ventress' many, non-murder options:

*waves hand* "You want to go home and rethink your life."
    "I want to go home and rethink my life."

Use regular ol' fists to give him a beating.

Take the Obi Wan option. (ie. Cut off his hand)

Any one of these was well within her power, and she could have ended the situation without resorting to killing. If you can avoid killing, but do so anyway because you want to, that's cold-blooded murder.

Riv_Shiel, cdgodin, Gamiel and 2 others like this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    You're not changing my mind on this one.

It all looks like an attempt to defend sexual harassment as "irritation" to me.

We had moved on from this topic after meeting a middle ground when several people who share your opinion of Ventress acknowledged that in no way was what happened to her in that bar acceptable. We were talking about what her relationship with Vos should be and Vos' depiction in the novel. Then someone came back and said "She deserved to be sexually harassed because I don't like her!" and here we go again.

I don't get it.

3. Why_So_Serious

Jan 27, 2013
    So, basically you declare yourself immune to being persuaded, because you don't want to be. Who's being irrational here?

In this instance? Yes. The same as trying to hold up Clark Kent with a switchblade.

4. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    What I am "immune" to is finding sexual harassment acceptable under any circumstance.

What you call "irrational" I call "living as a woman in modern society."

I edited my last post.

cwustudent likes this.
  5. Why_So_Serious

Jan 27, 2013
    Who said it was acceptable? I never said the bar goon was a morally upright individual. I said her response was cold-blooded murder - ergo, she is the worse criminal in that situation.

But no, I don't sympathize with her.

6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    And there is where we disagree. I can't NOT sympathize with her nor do I want to try, and I don't think she's the worst criminal.

(Cue the "You think cold-blooded murder is less serious than irritating words" in 3...2...1...)

7. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    The evil characters do have to pay, whether Maul or Ventress, and they usually end paying in these stories, Anakin paid when he lost most of his body but didnt learn as he was too far gone. I dont think the Jedi would grant her clemency or a pardon, that would be lame. Palpatine's Republic wouldve never go along with allowing her to live, so if this was non-Palpatine Republic and the Jedi not so far corrupted by being subveranet to the political whims of the Republic then what they may do is exile her to life in prison on some uninhabited world like a Dagobah or whatever. However there is prisons like Stygeon and the Citadel which are supposedly made specifically force sensitive rogues and or simply Jedi . The origin of those prisons I don't know, as one time Seperatis were part of the Republic so they may of been built by the Republic. More likehood is Ventress would have to serve life in community service for atonement to be rehabilitated towards the light.

Realistically the Jedi should not be killling anyone or using their powers for attack, Bariss was correct that the Jedi were darkside and lost their morals and ethics, however she was perverse and evil herself. What I think there is is a process of gradualism towards the light as long as they are honest and true with themselves and others their is penance involved. Unacceptable lifestyles of certain individuals may have some elements of good in tem, even of great good, that elements of good may be found even in morally unacceptable people. Even Talzin, had a moment of great good, such as sacrificial love when she gave her life for her only son. The only unredeemable character in Star Wars is Sidious, he's just evil for being evil, and that makes him not human and uninteresting. Ventress is an interesting character, we'll see how this story transpires. More than likely she's her usual self serving self but with goodness in her heart which may lead her to give her life for good.

8. Why_So_Serious

Jan 27, 2013
    Curious. Do you sympathize with Tarkin, then? He got incinerated in a huge explosion - a worse fate by far.

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    It's probably best that we don't play the "Which is worse?" game because to be blunt, I'm noticing that most of the men who have posted here have absolutely no idea, and brushing it off as "just words" is a pretty good indication of that. (You aren't the only one who has done it.)

I don't have either sympathy or lack of sympathy for Tarkin. I don't hate him, I just don't care.

10. Why_So_Serious

Jan 27, 2013
    Being killed is the worst thing that can happen to you, bar none. And if you don't believe me, I suggest you take a poll anywhere you like as to who would rather be: a) sexually harassed or b) beheaded.

But if you wish to end this, fine.

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, we need to end it.

Vorax , it might be interesting if Ventress is working with the Jedi in exchange for immunity. That seemed to be the direction they were going in The Wrong Jedi.

I'm not opposed to a redemption story of sorts for her in that she isn't ordering Nightbrothers to kill each other anymore, and she stops seeking revenge on the Jedi. In fact I'm all for it. She was alone and in pain most of her life and deserves to be healed and find peace from that. Anakin's redemption made me a die-hard Star Wars fan; I like redemption stories for the most part.

But I think we've got one for her already, at least to a point; and I think the story needs to find the line between redeeming her and making her soft and less snarky. I also, as I said, don't want a situation in which a love interest "redeems" her. Leave the sappy old-fashioned crap in AOTC please.

cwustudent and Gorefiend like this.
  12. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Rape and other forms of mental and physical torture are worse than being simply lawfully executed by being shot, electrocuted, hanged, lethal injected or guillotined. The Jedi are a religious institution, built along real world Christian , Hindu, and Buddist principals, their form of punishment would be different from from state or military form of punishment. The darkside would also be to blame for some of Ventress's evil actions, as its dark energy that can turn once good people int agents of evil plus Dooku too advantage of a lost padawan and warped and twisted Ventress into a weapon of evil for his own vile desires and will.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  13. Why_So_Serious

Jan 27, 2013
    As an agnostic who does not believe in an afterlife of any kind, I respectfully disagree. As long as you have your life, you have something. Once you are cast into oblivion, that's it - you have, and are, nothing. To die is to lose everything imaginable, and hence the worst fate that there can be.

But that'll be the last I say of it on this thread.

14. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I'd chose being raped over being murdered in an instant. One problem that rape victims face is that they are treated like their life is over, or like precious porcellain. This is one of the reasons why the heinous crime often goes unreported.
    Vorax' post is unfortunately dangerous.

If you are referrring to the old thread in 7SA, you were spewing your hatred over and over and over again, like 30 or more posts, that was the problem.

And for the record, I don't really care what you think about Ventress. As you said, everyone can like whatever characters he or she wants.

And if my anti-Ventress posts bother you, I will stop. No problem.

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    There have been multiple threads in 7SA and the TV Forum for a couple of years in which no one had better dare say a word against either of those two. The only one I remember you being involved in was The Wrong Jedi thread, but no specific poster came to mind.

People can say all the horrendous ways that they want Ventress to die, I won't tell anyone not to say it, I just found the general (not user-specific) double standard interesting.

But...saying that she deserves to be sexually harassed in a scenario very realistic to our world (happens to women all the time, sometimes more than once) is going to hit a few more triggers among real people, even those not sensitive to slights on a favorite character, than a statement like "I hope Vos pushes her off a cliff." I think people are not understanding this. (Or they don't care, in which case the option is the same as it is in the YJCC.)

16. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    "People in general" can't have a double standard. How's that supposed to work? Makes no sense whatsoever.

A murder trial is what Ventress deserves, not sexual harrassment.

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Bad wording; I should have said "several people" or "many people."

A murder trial would make sense, or maybe working with Vos is part of a punishment for her. (I'm serious.)

18. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I hope you are joking.

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    No. Community service?

20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    After Ventress's association with Ahsoka, and her assistance to Anakin (not exactly voluntary though) in revealing the Barriss Plot - it's possible that, in order to continue her bounty hunting career and get the "Separatist war criminal" price off her head - she agreed to work with Vos.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  21. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    Hi AFSI,

I wouldn't be concerned to much about Ventress' dependency in the novel so much, I'm more concerned about Vos' ;)

22. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    You think that is a fitting punishment for mass murder? Oh boy, I hope you don't work for the police and or the court.

23. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Ventress deserves what every Force wielder not aligned with the Empire deserves. Death at the hands of Lord Vader.

/end of discussion

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Not what I said.

25. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It might not be fitting - but it's quite common in Star Wars for mass murderers to end up working for the "good guys" for one reason or another - Crix Madine, Juno Eclipse, etc.

The Senate might want to see her tried for past atrocities if they found out - but the Jedi might be hoping that her grudge against the Separatist leadership in general and Dooku in particular could be used to "turn her to the light side" (or, if not, to turn her into their agent and allow them to make use of her knowledge and skills).