main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Dark Empire - 5 CD Audio Collection - Opinions Please

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I saw this over a decade ago in my then local comic shop window, 1 copy only, didn't have £60 to spare being a skint teenager at the time. Didn't see it again, then found out it was a limited item, effectively US-only.

Now, I have the opportunity to get a copy, due to wonder that is e-shopping.

I have listened to the first DE and DE2 on cassette, still got the first one, but would appreciate opinions from those who have this as to how good the Empire's End adaptation is. I doubt it can be worse than the comic but in any case, is it good enough to warrant buying the whole trilogy on CD?

I'm inclined to do so just for the 1st one, but as I can't place the order until a week's time, thought I'd take advantage of the time and ask for some views.

JB

2. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Well Empire's End is an exclusive to this set, there is no other way to listen to it.

But personally I'd recommend it. Good collection.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I got this a year or two ago, so it's been awhile since I listened to it, but I recall EE being of the same production quality as DE2, and I think it even expands upon the comic slightly too.

But then, I love the audio dramas, so it makes it worth it, IMO, to get the set just for the EE-exclusive and the CD format advantage over audio cassettes.

4. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    That is exactly why I'm so interested in it Val, plus I had thought it out of reach and gone.

The only reason I let DE2 go was the lack of the conclusion, this collection was never really seen much here in the UK.

Quest, very true, good as the cassettes are, the CD-quality sound would be even better. The casting for DE1&2 was inspired, especially the Emperor.

It's just a shame I'm fiscally restricted right now! :(

JB

5. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    If you don't get it, let me know. I'd be interested in purchasing it.

6. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Go for it, I didn't know that Empire's End was only on there.

7. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    I have it and it's pretty good. The ony thing I didn't like was all the mechanized voices to make it sound like a bigger cast than it was. Everyone sounds mecha in it, except the main characters. I think Wedge and Lando are portrayed by their actors.

8. ronbrothers

ronbrothers Jedi Youngling

Apr 23, 2004
    I would kill for this! I've been looking for that for nearly a decade!

9. Mateo

Mateo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    The Emperor's voice was good but the probelm i have with it is that Palpatine always sounds the same,even after he enters a Young Clone body he sounds like an old man, he should at least sound like a much younger version of the same man because the new body has healthy far younger Vocal Cords as opposed to the decayed rotted out ones in his old clone body, the voice sounds young and fresh in young people and old people usually have weak voices by comparison(due to old age).

10. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    I got the 5-disc set off eBay for 10 bucks. I've seen those go upwards of $50 there plenty of times. Thank goodness for "Buy it now"! That was a steal! It didn't come with the original box, but the discs are all in good shape. I'm happy. :D

11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I'd forgotten all about this thread!

Have since nabbed the set but got done by Customs for £13 on top of the £60 I paid for it! Bloody Treasury!

PezMan, that is a steal, I've just started on Ebay and that BuyItNow option really can be useful, but you have to be quick!

As to the set:

Excellent.

Mateo,

Good point, I'd suggest the Emperor's voice in DE is the way it is to indicate corruption as well as age, that his transfer is not natural, that he is an old spirit in a young body. Yes there is biology but who's to say that couldn't be over-ridden by a Sith Lord?

Yeah, I know it's a fix but a good one!

JB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.