main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Dark Empire article series in Insider

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Dr. Steve Brule, Jul 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    DE1 Luke and Leia battle Palpatine without help from Anakin. What's not to love?

2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    WH Smiths?

Sent from the World

3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder if this concept was reworked into Nom Anor.

CernStormrunner likes this.
  4. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    Sounds more like "His Divine Shadow" from Lexx.

CernStormrunner likes this.
  5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Sort of unrelated but I got a Dark Empire mock movie poster from Celebration, and it is one of my favorite things. I'm not one for SW posters, but this one is an exception -- I want to frame that sucker.

[​IMG]

I love DE and the DESB.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

6. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Dark Empire may not be universally loved, but it's probably going to be the story I will be comparing Episode 7 to more than anything else. Not in terms of plot, but in terms of whether it gives me the same psychological high of "OMG, it's the sequel?!?!" that I got back when I first read DE1.

Kylo Ren has a long way to go, though, before he gives me the "OMG, the Dark Side has returned!" feeling that I had when I first turned the page and saw Palpatine and immediately went "WTK?!?" or even when I first saw that TPM trailer when the door slid back to reveal Darth Maul. Kylo just feels... I dunno, maybe I've become jaded and Sith'ed out after TOR and Legacy and LOTF, but I've yet to experience the same "The Sith are back!!" sensation..

I'm kinda hoping that's intentional though and that whoever Kylo's master is becomes the "WTK?!" moment of Ep7 the same way as when it was revealed it was Palpatine that called Luke to Byss.

7. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Kylo Renn feels like a Sith groupie.

I'm going to keep beating that drum.

Chrissonofpear2 likes this.
  8. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I want to like this post, but that Dark Side makes me queasy.

Old habits die hard.

Gamiel and Zorrixor like this.
  9. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Great Dark Empire poster! Never seen that before. I wonder if it'll ever be available mass-market?! Probably not.

In any case, I agree that DE was definitely "cinematic", and really did feel like you were watching the sequel to ROTJ.

One of the many reasons I may not even see TFA in the theater is that I don't think the villains (Kylo Ren, etc.) will be nearly as imposing/threatening as DV or the Emperor were in the OT/PT. Part of this is that I remember seeing the actor playing Kylo Ren in the "Girls" HBO show....

Zorrixor likes this.
  10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It's Matt Busch and I got it for free at Celebration, all I had to do was follow him on Twitter and like his fb page. I was like yeah okay sure, now gimme the sweet poster!

It's interesting to note the cultural penetration of DE, as far as wider SW EU goes. We got toys and even multiple video game references (FoC, Rebellion, and especially Rogue Squadron come to mind.) That Rogue level was my favorite as a kid bc it was a rare EU acknowledgement. I still wish we got to fly E-wings, though :p

No mention of DE would be complete without mentioning "The Test of Wills" by Publius. It really makes it clear that DE could easily support a novel and I'm sad Bantam never got down to it. Publius plans on finally adapting DE2 to a story, so there's that to look forward to. Yeah it's fanfic but after Legends, nobody's gonna officially revisit DE anyway.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

11. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I actually forgot that I chased down that two-part article when it came out a year or two ago. Some really great stuff in those, too. Funny to see some of Lucas's originally ideas for what the sequel to Star Wars would have, especially Luke becoming an explicitly Bond-like assassin for the Rebellion and he and Leia having an affair, before Leia being killed and Luke getting revenge. Or Lucas bringing up the idea of Leia and Chewie becoming lovers after ANH.

When I first got the internet in the mid-90s it seemed like almost every single nascent Star Wars fan website talked about DE. It got brought up almost as much as rumors of the upcoming prequels, probably because novels like JAT mentioned its events and it was before comics were as mainstream as they were now, so a lot of readers felt like there was some book they had missed that explained all this clone Palpatine stuff.

12. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    What? What? Was that really said?

DigitalMessiah and Zorrixor like this.
  13. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    [​IMG]

Edit: I see Force Smuggler already got there.

14. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Exactly!

15. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    A great fic. Got it on my desktop. I thought Publius went MIA, though?

Chrissonofpear2 likes this.
  16. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    [​IMG]

17. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    when I first got into Star Wars, there was the OT, the Thrawn trilogy, and Dark Empire, and that was it (yeah I know there was the Lando and Han trilogies but I didn't know about them they were probably out of print, plus Marvel SW)

and that made those seem on the level with the films to me

granted, Dark Empire moreso than the Thrawn trilogy because I was a kid and comics were more interesting than novels

plus even then Dark Empire had the sense of mythology to it continuing the films which I find the Thrawn trilogy to be lacking, not to mention now that I'm older an effort was made to develop the characters beyond Return of the Jedi. You can't really say that about the Thrawn trilogy. I mean Leia's pregnant but that doesn't really inform her character as an expectant mother much, it's more of a plot point that started the ball rolling on kidnapping the Solo children than anything else. In the Thrawn trilogy, Han, Luke, and Leia are kind of frozen where we left them in ROTJ, not really developing much past ROTJ. And at the end of it, they're mostly in the same place.

Trip, Zorrixor, Gamiel and 2 others like this.
  18. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I'll have to hunt these down, always thought this was a really solid Star Wars story and I'm a big fan of Kennedy's art.

19. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    Yes, and one also had to get up early to be one of the first X people at his booth ... which is why I was never able to snag one. :p

That went on well into the '00s. At the time I was real sick of answering "in what book does Luke fall to the dark side" and "what book has Palpatine's clone" but now I miss those days.

Zorrixor likes this.
  20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Not MIA, just took a leave of absence from SW for a while (similar to many of us whose interests had waned over time). But he's getting back into things and is toying with writing some more, so hopefully we'll see something!

edit:
    Only at the original Celebration it was at. I got mine at the very last day of SWCA because he had extras left and was handing them out to whoever asked. :p

edit: It actually occurs to me that I have mistakenly thrown the poster away while moving this weekend, because it was outside of a poster tube and I didn't think to check what it was. Good heavens, I hope I didn't toss it. Will have to go to my old place to check. Will hate myself if I threw it out.

21. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    wat.

I assumed it was like most other Celebration exclusives and only available the once, but you say he had them in Anaheim as well? Maybe there's hope for me for C8 after all.

22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, he literally had it up on the side of his booth with a note on it that said "ask how to get me for free!" So I did. And it was so easy.

It was so much cooler than the free, limited early offer posters everybody else had this year.

23. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    That poster is amazing, I want one!

I love DE; the idea of a young Palpatine and Luke turning to the dark side blew my mind as a kid (like most fans at the time). Kennedy's art added to the surreal nature of the events.

Well, I think it's time for a re-read!

BigAl6ft6 and Zorrixor like this.
  24. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. It's time to re-read DE I & II. This Literature forum is a great reminder of the comics I need to go back & re-read (or read for the first time).

25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I shall reread too, I think!

I enjoy that the young Palpatine looks so much like McDiarmid. They didn't give him the red hair, but later illustrations of the reborn Emperor did. Either way, it's a great likeness.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Revanfan1 and darklordoftech like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.