main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Dark Empire Endnotes

Discussion in 'Literature' started by adve, May 3, 2017.

1. adve

adve Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2016
    I know this thread will probably get shut down by the mods, but... How rare exactly are the Dark Empire endnotes, and how many of them are there?

2. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    I've been rather curious of this myself...

3. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    What are Dark Empire end notes?

4. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    The original six issues of the Dark Empire comic came with endnotes. These were collected the first time the series was put into a trade paperback but not when they released it again a few years later, nor in the Dark Empire Trilogy collection.

Pretty neat stuff in there. Like, basically an early draft of the Tales of the Jedi comics. Been ages since I've read them.

Dawud786 likes this.
  5. adve

adve Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2016
    They are short paragraphs written by Tom Veitch. They're kind of like concept art for galactic history, I guess. TOTJ was based off of them.

6. adve

adve Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2016
  7. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    They got reprinted on the official site about a decade ago, but I think they were all lost when Hyperspace was shut down.

8. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    They're hard to find. You can't get them new, and haven't been able to for a long, long time
    They used to be on StarWars.com's Hyperspace but that's gone now.
    So if you're looking for them, good luck?

9. comradepitrovsky

Jan 5, 2017
    What happened to Hyperspace is pretty inexplicable, imo. That's a lot of writing lost.

10. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Adve, if you're looking for anything specific from it, I have my old copy of DE on hand, one of the few SW trades I actually have with me and not packed away in a box somewhere. I can flip through it and check on anything.

I do remember that in addition to the proto-TOTJ stuff, it also includes a lot of references bridging the end of the Thrawn Trilogy with the start of DE, as well as a few references to Glove of Darth Vader.

11. adve

adve Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2016
    I have the second edition of the Dark Empire trade paperback, which has the endnotes in them. I was just wondering if that was all of them, and how rare they were in case I wanted to sell them. But I do want to get an extra copy of the endnotes, for a friend. So, if you could direct me somewhere, that would be great.

In case you're wondering, I got my copy from Amazon just a few weeks ago (I'm ashamed, I hadn't gotten to read DE yet because it was too expensive). It said it was the third edition, but I wound up getting the second edition of DE and the first edition of DE 2. I guess it was my lucky day!

12. comradepitrovsky

Jan 5, 2017
    Dark Empire is on Marvel Unlimited, like all the rest of the Star Wars comics. (I actually have a code for a free month's subscription, if anyone wants it.)

13. adve

adve Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2016
    If you don't want it, I'll use it. What is Marvel Unlimited, anyway?

14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Subscription service. Pay a monthly fee, get access to a large back catalog of digital comics.

15. adve

adve Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2016
    Cool.

16. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    And by "large", he means "enormous".

It's more than a little buggy, though.

17. comradepitrovsky

Jan 5, 2017
    60k or so, I think. (And all of TOTJ, KOTOR, Knight Errant, Dark Empire I and II, Crimson Empire I-III, Legacy, etc. I think the only part their missing is some of Republic.)

18. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    You mean the " From a time of peace... to a time of darkness"?

19. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    If you're looking for the endnotes, buy either the individual issues or a trade paperback with Luke wielding a lightsaber on the front cover.

20. adve

adve Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2016
    darklordoftech What does the 3rd edition look like?

And on a completely different note, I can't find the second issue to Empire's End anywhere! Besides Marvel, where can I get it?

21. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Luke clenching one of his fists and holding his lightsaber in the other hand.

22. jafo

jafo Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 20, 2001
    Just checked. The end notes are NOT on Marvel Unlimited.
    Also checked and EMPIRE'S END is on the site
    Overall, there are about 17k comics on the site. Someone mentioned it's a bit buggy - I've not experienced that as yet and I've been using it for about a year.

23. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    (accidentally posted with my phone in my pocket)

24. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    I bet the eventual Epic Collection from Marvel will feature them, as the EC for KOTOR reproduced the 'single issue only' extras in those collected editions which AFAIK hadn't been collected before.

25. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014

http://www.starwarsunderworld.com/2016/08/interview-with-dark-empire-writer-tom.html

Jedi Princess likes this.