main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Dark Empire Endnotes

Discussion in 'Literature' started by adve, May 3, 2017.

1. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I have the 2nd issue of Empire's End. I have never had the first, and i bought EE #2 off the rack. Somehow missed #1. I also somehow missed DE2 #6 somehow.

I was just reading the DE appendices the past couple days. It's honestly a shame we never got a prose novel from Veitch. His writing is good, if a bit old fashioned even for the time period. There are passages in the appendices that show Veitch really, truly understands the spiritual core of Star Wars. Like, he just *gets* it.

Veitch had the wisdom to use Leia in essentially the same role Luke played in ROTJ, and out of it he primed the possibility of Luke and Leia being this amazing brother-sister Jedi team that would train her children and others to restore the Jedi to their former glory.... and the EU never picked up on going forward. The Story Group Canon has no interest in it either. They keep Leia pigeonholed in politics. Nevermind that negotiation and conflict resolution are part and parcel of the calling of the Jedi Knighthood, thus playing to Leia's strengths with the added knowledge and wisdom available through the Force. When Legends finally decided to make Leia a full time Jedi, she went for the Jedi hothead like-father-like-daughter route rather than having Leia's Jedi path be more of the way of the consular.

It's a shame the Story Group didnt make a move to have Leia *be* a full blown Jedi consular-type in the ST. I know Carrie really wouldnt have been up to do action, but Leia need not be a full-on Jedi action heroine Jedi.

https://www.instagram.com/jedisufism/

2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Veitch also had a timeline in mind that would have tied everything together, but that got ruined when:

1. Veitch quit Star Wars, rushed Empire's End, and KJA took over for him. We can see this in TOTJ: The Sith War when Exar Kun says, "One of my predecessors, the Dark Lord Naga Sadow," a retcon of Naga Sadow being in rebellion against the Dark Lords.

2. Lucasfilm pushing the Rule of Two resulted in the extragalacitc dark side civilization getting changed to the Vong.

Dawud786 and Nom von Anor like this.
  3. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    I found one of the endnotes, "A Time of Darkness" from issue #1, by plugging in the old Hyperspace link from here into Archive.org's Wayback Machine. All of the archived instances I've tried so far for issue #2 have just been snapshots of Hyperspace's paywall notice, so I'm unsure how this one got through -- perhaps it was actually publicly available?

(Posting this with tentative mod approval, since we're unsure if it's paid content or not (despite Hyperspace no longer existing to be paid...). I'll be happy to remove it if any of TPTB judge that it shouldn't be shared here.)

Barriss_Coffee and Dawud786 like this.
  4. adve

adve Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2016
    I agree. Uh, don't kill me, but I think Star Wars would have been 5x better if Veitch had taken George Lucas's role of "film visionary." I really like Lucas, but Veitch was just better. No offense to anyone.