main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Dark Empire Novels

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Whizkid, Mar 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whizkid

Whizkid Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2003

Does anyone else hope that Dark Empire is ever released as a set of novels? The first one could cover DE and the second one would cover DEII and EE. I love DE and think it would make great novels since it has that same feel the movies had that so many other novels can't emulate.

2. Ashandarei

Ashandarei Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 21, 2004
    I agree with you. The stories would make excellent novels.

Get your flame helmet on, though, the DE haters will be here soon.

3. NeoStar9

NeoStar9 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Not really. I wouldn't want to be made into novels cause the story in them works really well as comics. The visual telling of that story works better then a novel would I feel. You can see the emotion on the faces of the characters, you can clearly see the action as it plays out and the dialogue. If any part of the Dark Empire series was made into a novel, they would spend time adding extra material that would pretty much be filler and would make the story wise I feel. What they need to do is rerelease the TPB to make them easier to get. If they want, they could also redraw it but I think the art is just fine and part of what makes it a great read.

DE is one of my favorite series. True you have your haters of the series and I doubt they'd care about a novel version. Personally I feel Star Wars is better shown in forms of film, tv(cartoons or live action), games, and most importantly comics. I actually think the novels are at the bottom when it comes to presenting a Star Wars story and getting Star Wars elements across. That's just me though but I don't know how others feel toward the novels when compared with all the other ways of presenting things.

4. Whizkid

Sep 11, 2003

I just think it would be neat because it could provide the backstory of how Palp's soul esaped from endor and how he regrouped at byss and started to build up his fleet again. It could have references to the thrawn trilogy and make the two important events mesh together nicely.

5. SithAboveAll

SithAboveAll Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2005
    another thing that'll never happen, though

6. JoruusCbaoth

JoruusCbaoth Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2003
    I'd prefer a DE-prequel novel, one that provides a satisfactory bridge between Zahn and DE.

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think the visual style (particularly the gloomy effect the color palette has) adds alot to the story, and I something that would be lost if novelized.

However, I wouldn't mind a new DE supplemental volume- like a DE Sourcebook Volume 2 or something to further expand upon the events surorunding the comics.

8. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    I'd actually perfer if they reprinted the comic in two different TPB forms:

1) One which is completely unchanged but has DE, DEII, and EE all in one. That would make everything a lot esier.

2) The second one would also be the trilogy in one TPB, but slightly different. Although the art in DE is very nice, I just find the coloring really annoying and distracting. I'd like to see them re draw it, keeping all the diolague and story and such, only someone would re draw it, making it more realistic, and more pleasing to the eye (of some people). I think Jan could do a good job at it. In the realistic style of the clone wars comics. With real coloring an lighting, but there would still be ways to convay the dark mood.

But if they were to do #2 I think they would also have to do #1. I see them as being slod at the same time, not as #2 being a replacement. It would be up to you which one to buy, based an you preference of artwork.

9. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Though in some respects I'm a "DE hater," I think a novelization would be a good idea, for the following reasons:

1. Continuity spackle. Dark Empire doesn't connect very well with the rest of the goings-on in the galaxy, except in a handful of references. Tying it more firmly into the continuity would be a good thing.

2. Rectification of the "Chosen One" problem. A good author will be able to explain how Anakin Skywalker was able to destroy the Sith without giving Palpatine his final death.

3. Lightsider. Finally, an appropriate place to see more than offhand references to this story.

4. No art. Sorry, but I dislike almost everything about the DE artwork. This alone would make the story more appealing to me.

5. Higher visibility. If it gets novelized, we won't see nearly as many neophytes asking, "dood, like, wat is da bookj ware the Emproror comes bak and Luke goes to da darksiide?!?!?!?!"

10. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    I wouldn't want to be made into novels cause the story in them works really well as comics. The visual telling of that story works better then a novel would I feel. You can see the emotion on the faces of the characters, you can clearly see the action as it plays out and the dialogue. If any part of the Dark Empire series was made into a novel, they would spend time adding extra material that would pretty much be filler and would make the story wise I feel.

I agre with NeoStar here - the story works well in comic form. There's some Star Wars stories that work best in a visual medium, and then there's some that work best as text. Dark Empire as a novel would be pretty short, unless they created a lot of extra scenes (like a whole unseen subplot), and they could probably put all of the saga (DE,DE2,EE) into one normal length novel and still add some spackle. But why would we need it?

the dark empire saga exists already in two good forms: as a comic, and as the audio adaptation (which they should re-release). if people need continuity spackle, they could just as easily write some short stories or comics to serve as spackle, rather than redo the whole thing. besides, what writer would rather choose to novelize a decade-old work than write a new story?

11. TwiLeksRokMySox

TwiLeksRokMySox Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 28, 2004
    Try to find the Dark Empire Sourcebook by West End Games. All the continuity spackle you could want.

12. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    TwiLeksRokMySox:

Try to find the Dark Empire Sourcebook by West End Games. All the continuity spackle you could want.

I own it. And I still want more. ;-)

13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    No. Let Del Rey fill the contract with books that are more worthwhile.

14. lightsaber_wielder

lightsaber_wielder Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2002
    No. While Dark Empire could benefit in some ways from a written format rather than a visual one (for example, the emotions of the characters wouldn't seem so damn bland), I really hope that Del Rey doesn't take the comics up as a future novel project.

I don't think we really need to read this rather pathetic, corny and flimsy story yet again, do we? [face_batting]

(Which reminds me; I still need to post up my review!)

15. Whizkid

Sep 11, 2003

The only thing I disliked about DE was the art. It didn't make the story believable. Once I got the audio adaptations, it became my favorite EU story. If novels were ever made, they would obviously have to add many things (detailed description of Palpy's plan & Shadowhand, more of the Battle of Calamari and more battles from other worlds Palpy attacked, more character development) but I think it could work and would be better than 90% of the novels out now

16. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    If it changed the backstory from the crappy "Palpatine's spirit floated to Byss" to a more believeable one with the DE Palpatine being Palpatiine I say yes.

Since this isn't going to happen I say no. They need to explore the Sith and Post NJO eras and go back over the Clone Wars filling in gaps and giving us more books like Hard Contact.

17. ClonedEmperor

ClonedEmperor Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2005
    I think they should. They could start it off a few months after ROTS, when Palpatine realizes hes dying. That way, they could sell it as one of those past present books, like Legacy of the Jedi. It could then chronicle bringing in Jedi masters, until he found Ashka Boda and the Holocron. It could then go to his spirit in space, and continue from then til h got to Byss. The main thing i didnt like about the comic (the rest of it rocked) was that their was very little on Luke's training.

18. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Lets do it again . . .

Dark Empire's massive Coruscant siege begins within days following Thrawn I's defeat, so how isn't Isard's Revenge a contradiction, that transpired for well over 4 months?

19. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Because the siege of Coruscant did not occur within a matter of days after TTT. You are also looking at a military expedition in Isard's Revenge that is happening well away from Coruscant. The fall of Coruscant happened after Krennel's forces were defeated. Which occured in the tenth year after the Battle of Yavin. Thrawn's defeat occured in the ninth year after the battle of Yavin.

20. master_organa

master_organa Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 5, 2004
    Even though I despise the comics, I still wish for a novelization of them.

21. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Knight my friend, Dark Empire's prelude specifically says within days. That's what I can't understand about Stack, who kew his timeline well.

IR commences right after Last Command. There's at least a month before Liinade, a time in the book that happens 3 months after Liinade conquered, and at least a month or more after Isard's Rogue aquisition.

22. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    It does happen within days.

It just happens to be 120+ days. ;)

23. Le_Sammler

Le_Sammler Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 21, 2005
    I also hope that somehow, someday, Dark Empire has a novelization adaptation! After all, we have had novels adapted to comics, why not comics adapted to novels? I think the author of this novel in order of preference should be:

A) Matthew Stover (GREAT author who specializes in philosophy, the Force, darkness, etc...)
    B) James Luceno (Has a great grasp of continuity and Star Wars storytelling)
    C) Troy Denning (Same reasons as Mr. Luceno)
    D) Kevin J. Anderson (Knows the era very well)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.