main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Dark Empire Revelations.Anser to the question:Why did the Empire make so many superweapons?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Matthew Trias, Jul 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Yep...for one reason.

The Rebels were only able to defeat the Empire because they had the Force on thier side.

I don't think Vong ships would've been able to stand against super lasers,Galaxy guns,devastators,and what not.

BTW construction on the Eclipse began sometime during ESB.After the Battle of Endor,Naval commander wanted construction to cease,because the treasury was no longer limitless(the Empire could've built anything they wanted during the Galactic Civil War).However because the Emperor was secretly manipulating everyone and everything through his agents,construction on the colossal ship never ceased.

2. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    BTW the Eclipse was an engineeering marvel.It could ram entire fleets without recieving a scratch,that's how powerful it's shields were.

Not only that ,nut it had a mini superlaser,powerful enough to crack the crust of any planet.Against an enemy fleet it would be quite devastating.1 Eclipse could take on a few hundred SDs without rewcieving a scratch.

I'm looking at a size comparison chart.....and damn...ICSDs are small....really ,really small....

If it could devastate a fleet of SDs,it could slaughter a fleet of Mon Cal cruisers(which were the backbone of the Mon Cal fleet in that era).

The Eclipse ships were about getting rid of the Rebellion...fast.

3. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    Oh and BTW...The Eclipse could go for years with out being resupplied.....

colony/warships ???

4. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Intresting pic Executor32. Is it just me, or does it look like those two squares amidship are hangar bays large enough to carry an ImpStar Deuce? If that's the case, that really would have been a terrifying ship. One hangar bay releases hundreds of thousands of TIE's. Another, a full TIE wing worth of Star Destroyers. Maybe even one that could release a Death Star or two. That's not a ship, it's a planet made to look like one.

5. Waning Drill

Waning Drill Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 30, 1999
    Whoa... That's, uh, that's a pretty big ship you've got there. I don't think it's quite as big as the second Death Star though.

6. peregrine

peregrine Jedi Master star 4

Nov 18, 2000
    I think it's bigger than both the Death Stars. And it looks quite cool.

7. darthjarjarbinks

darthjarjarbinks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2000
    It is indeed longer than both the death stars were in diameter, I believe. Unless one measurement was in miles, the other in kilometers, I think its longer than the combined diamater of the DS1 & DS2

Matthew: "Not only that ,nut it had a mini superlaser,powerful enough to crack the crust of any planet.Against an enemy fleet it would be quite devastating.1 Eclipse could take on a few hundred SDs without rewcieving a scratch."

I think thats exactly why I hate the idea of it. It just doesn't make for good stories, if you ask me. Everything else becomes irrelevant.

8. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Matthew...
    "BTW the Eclipse was an engineeering marvel.It could ram entire fleets without recieving a scratch,that's how powerful it's shields were."

I'd have to double check, but this is perhaps a refinement of the Galaxy-class's Star Dragon ramming technology. Going from memory, the Star Dragon did it with brute force of the hull capacity, but later on Palpatine may have thought it better to handle the ramming with shields.

9. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    What does everybody have against Death Stars and Eclipse-Class-Superstardestroyer ???

The Eclipse-Class has at least two main advantages compared to the Executer-class:

Gravity-Wall-Projectors and their Superlaser.

And if you want to conquer Worlds with planetary shields raised, you need a very big gun.

As for the value of fully operational SSDs: Tell me, how many were really taken out by a simple ship to ship fight ?

10. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
  11. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Fteik hits on what I find most fascinating about Palpatine's power...
    "And if you want to conquer Worlds with planetary shields raised, you need a very big gun."

But, Palaptine's goal is to eventually just use the Dark Side, not a big gun to enforce his rule. WTF power did he touch, glimpse, hallucinate, or otherwise think existed that he would no longer have absolutely no need for a Sun Crusher, an Eclipse-class Super Star Destroyer or even a freaking Death Star.

The fact that Palpatine even hypothesized such powers exist should scare any decent lifeform of the GFFA and beyond. Or perhaps, such powers are fairly commonplace given Vader's infamous line, "The power to destroy a planet is insignificant..."

All hyperbole aside (say Vader was just restating a Force-centric version of the "pen is mightier than the sword"), and his quote is to be taken at face value - did Palpatine have the ability to fling "Death-Star-Scale" Force Storms about? And if not, how far along was he to learning such things.

12. FTeik

Nov 7, 2000
    There are several problems with this kind of argument:

First of all, even our allmighty emperor can´t do everything on his own, he needs helper or subordinates to do the dirty work and if those beings have no forcepowers (especially on the level to destroy worlds on their own, what would have made them dangerous to Palpatine) he has to equipt them with devices of technology (especially if he really planned to conquer other galaxies).

Second, it is quite clear that Palpatine and his empire have made huge efforts to erase the knowledge about the force from the minds of the people of the galaxy. If they have no clue about what hit them, they won´t cover in fear. In this regard the "official" sourcebook is outgunned by the "Canon". movies (in my opinion you can forget most of them anyway, there are simply to many errors and contradictions).

Third, even if no attempt was made to erase the knowledge about the force, only few people have ever been able to use it or have even a slight understanding of it. The destructive power of a superlaser is understadable by everybody.

13. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    ". If they have no clue about what hit them, they won´t cover in fear. In this regard the "official" sourcebook is outgunned by the "Canon". movies (in my opinion you can forget most of them anyway, there are simply to many errors and contradictions). "

uh huh

14. jastermereel

jastermereel Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 19, 1998
    Perhaps he was close...but...from what the DE trilogy showed the more anger and aggression he showed...basicaly dark side tendancies......the faster his clones broke apart.........so maybe he could destroy planets with a storm...but he would destroy a clone in the process......until the time came when he only needed them sparingly, he probobly was smarter to use a standard fleet......then later when the threats were direct and localized, and when his cloning was better...he might have been in a better position to use his powers on such a scale...

15. Entil`Zha

Entil`Zha Jedi Master star 4

Jul 9, 1999
    That's one of the best discussion so far guys, keep it up!

Could Palpative have drawn on the power of Byss itself as his Dark Side super-Force weapon?

16. skull6

skull6 Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2001
    When a planet is destroyed most of the populace would feel fear, anger or pain all of which strengthen the Dark Side and make him stronger.

Or he built them all for tax deductions

17. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
  18. III_Vir_RPC

III_Vir_RPC Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 14, 2001
    The alleged Imperium-class vessel is longer than the diameter of the first Death Star (160 kilometres) but shorter than that of the second (900 kilometres).

As the inestimable The Tears of Palpatine has demonstrated in the past, the cost and effort of building and crewing a military organisation the size and scale of the Imperial Starfleet is a relatively insignificant effort on the part of The Empire.

Furthermore, the Super Star Destroyers were extremely effective as command ships and as warships; witness the Lusankya single-handedly battering down the shields of Coruscant in The Krytos Trap.

It is when they were expected to be some sort of Wundervessel that the Super Star Destroyers failed. They were never intended to be Ãœberships to destroy vast legions of enemy ships, and that is exactly what their commander tried to use them to do.

19. peregrine

peregrine Jedi Master star 4

Nov 18, 2000
    Where was it said that Death Star-II had a diameter of 900 kilometers?

20. FTeik

Nov 7, 2000
    Take at a look at the Technical Commentries

http://www.theforce.net/swtc

Compared to the most times poorly researched (if you really want to call it researched) "official" garbage they explain how they got their numbers and don´t pull them out of thin air.

21. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    uh huh

BTW the Eclipse was clearly intended to be twice as long as the Excecutor...why didn't Mr.Saxton increase the length of the Eclipse as well?

22. FTeik

Nov 7, 2000
    This intention was based on the wrong idea that the Executor has a length of five miles instead of the correct length of eleven miles as according to the modelmakers and shown in "From SW to Indiana Jones", while the Eclipse is supposed to be ten miles long as seen in the Comic of Dark Empire.

Despite that the Eclipse is easily twice as big as the Executor if you compare the volume of the ships.

23. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    10 miles long?I don't think so.Remember those weren't Imperial Class ships next to the Eclipse.They were far too big.The Eclipse is supposed to be bigger then Executor.There's a size comparison chart in the DE sourcebook.Why not make it 22 miles long?

BTW the Executor constantly changes size throughout the trilogy.

But this isn't trhe place to discuss such things.Go start a thread about it. :p

24. III_Vir_RPC

III_Vir_RPC Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 14, 2001
    Dr Saxton did not "up-grade" the Eclipse's length because (a.) the original source, Dark Empire, explicitly describes the ship as being ten miles; and (b.) the original source makes no mention of being twice as long as the Executor.

At any rate, as FTeik has mentioned, the Eclipse is easily far larger than the Executor, with several times the mass.

25. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    Bah...so?A bunch of sources say the Executor is only four miles long.

The writer clearly intended the Eclipse to be twice as long.He was using "inaccurate" sources though,so he thought the Executor was only four to five miles long.That's why he made the Eclipse 10 miles long.

Now if you can ignore the numerous referances to the Executor only being 5 miles long,surely you can ignore one more. :p

Damn it now..back on topic...Whenever Itry to get out they keep pulling me back in. :p :p ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.