main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Dark Empire Trilogy

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DarthDeviousTX, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I'm all for Empire's End Special Edition!

2. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Sign me up! :cool:

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    An EE:SE would be amazing, but probably never happen.

Most likely an artifact of DE's original placement of being immediately post-ROTJ.

4. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    I think what we're looking for is more of an "Extended Edition-Special Edition-Director's Cut." We need to go exponential with this.

5. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    After seeing all the six SW-Movies and being aware of Darth Maul's resurrection in TCW it felt a bit unbelievable that such a powerful force-user like Darth Sidious is thrown into a shaft by Vader and dying without any struggle for survival.

I'm not sure yet if I should buy the comic, but to see a Palpatine younger than ever with all his force-power is just intriguing. For I know that young-looking Palpatine just from Luceno's Darth Plagueis. What fascinates me is the fact that good old Saté Pestage from Plagueis' days is still around in the Dark Empire. Thus there were people who were loyal to Sidious and survived it. Until now I always thought he killed all people once they knew to much, came to close or were bugging Sidious' Sithliness otherwise.

6. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    The first Dark Empire is well worth it, especially if what you are looking for is an ultra-powerful Palpatine.

Pestage only appears in the roleplaying material, not in the comic itself, though, so don't be disappointed!

Barriss_Coffee, Jedi Ben and Sudooku like this.
  7. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I liked Dark Empire because it made Luke experience the other side.

Sidious would be a poor leader if he killed everyone. I find survivors very credible.

Barriss_Coffee and Sudooku like this.
  8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Luke and Leia battling Palptine without help from Anakin? I'm game. Not sure what to think about DE2 or EE though.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  9. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    Yub yub! Bought! Thank you all for your recs. :D

AusStig likes this.
  10. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    Ah, back in the days when there was only Dark Empire and Tales of the Jedi - and we liked it! Spoiled whippersnappers!

11. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    that implies there is reason not to

12. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    Despite some of the silliness from constant El Clonos, I always felt Veitch and Kennedy just got it. The absurdness of the Empire throwing out every bit of random crap at the New Republic, the natural evolution of Han into a seasoned general, Leia as a jedi thirty years earlier, the bizarre operatic visual style, and so forth. This and Legacy felt like proper sequels in comic forms. Alas, I might go cry myself asleep with my proper Jan Duursema covered Dark Empire II trade paperback.

13. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    with a blaster.

Obi-Wan would have said: How uncivilized!

Anyway, I find it deplorable that Palpatine had to wait for almost six years until revealing himself again 10 BBY and just after one more year his new empire vanished again in 11 BBY. Wasn't there more time-space left for his empire in the general time-table of the New Republic?

14. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    My guess is Dark Empire being pushed back to six years instead of one is the real reason.

AusStig likes this.
  15. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    SW,

The six years a clone needs to grow with Kaminoan growth -accelerators?

16. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999

Agreed - well put, well said. Along with Zahn's HTTE trilogy, Dark Empire is my own personal chronicle of what occurred after the OT. Despite what Disney/Lflm. says...

Force Smuggler and Iron_lord like this.
  17. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I love that word "operatic" in conjunction with Dark Empire. It's a great description, not just of the visual style, but pretty much the first series as a whole. I always call it my "sentimental favorite" - flawed, for sure, but inseparable in my mind from the time I first experienced it, and thus I can't help but love it.

Does anyone know what happened with Empire's End? How it went from six issues to two, why Cam Kennedy didn't do the art, and so on. Something obviously went pretty badly awry behind the scenes, but I don't remember ever hearing that story, if its ever been told.

AusStig, Jeff_Ferguson and Iron_lord like this.
  18. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It's been so long I actually don't remember. Cam not doing the art was either a schedule thing (not wanting to wait to publish EE) or budget (EE was done on-the-cheap, a possible influence in the series reduction).

19. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    For all its flaws EE had the great scene of Sidious going to Korriban and being told by the Dark Lords to go **** himself after asking for their help!

20. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Yeah. I'm not sure whether it's better under the old paradigm in which he was not really a Sith but just a guy that stole their secrets, or the new paradigm where he's the Dark Lord of the Sith that maybe has decided he's risen above the Sith.

21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Aside from the covers, Empire's End always felt like a flub to me, even Dark Empire II is kind of a bummer in comparison. The original one is a friggin blast, though, very much in tone with the throne room scenes of ROTJ writ large across an entire series (With the Nar Shadda aside being sort of DE's equivalent of the Jabbas Palace opening). Out of all the movies, I think this one works tonally best with ROTJ (and a little dash of ROTS. The line about Palpatine wanting to cheat death in Sith always hooked up really nicely with the Emperor's resurrection scheme in Dark Empire. He pulled it off! Kinda!)

DigitalMessiah likes this.
  22. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Dark Empire 2 would probably be better appreciated if it was followed up by a good ending. The Ysanna elders are still encased in carbonite...

23. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

The Ysanna in general are a giant plot hole anyway.

24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    They kind of started the trend of "lost tribe of Force-sensitives".

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  25. EternalHero

EternalHero Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2014
    I never really liked the concept but the art (parts one and two) and story (until the last issue) make up for it. Veitch understands how to fuse mythology and action into a perfect SW combination. I love his headlong, breathless imagination, reminiscent of Jodorowsky's Incal/Metabarons stuff. Top drawer comic book making IMO. Great layouts and panel progressions, and back in '91 the color scheme was truly new, unexpected and stunning.

Dawud786 likes this.