main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Dark Father?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by JediHunterCommand, Jun 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediHunterCommand

JediHunterCommand Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2003
    We've all heard that "Darth Vader" means "Dark Father" in Dutch. It's possible that it actually doesn't, but I think it's a reasonable assumption to make. But here's the question: when, precisely did Darth Vader become Luke's father?

What I mean by that is that Lucas seemed to have something else in mind for Vader in the original version of ANH. In the scripts, if not in the final cut, it's hinted that Darth Vader and Anakin Skywalker are different people, and in some of the stuff that came out between 1977 and 1980 it's clear that Vader hadn't yet been established in the Lucasfilm bibles as Luke's father.

But if that's the case, then why did they name him "Dark Father?" Was it just a fortunate accident? Did they have something else in mind? Did it just sound cool? Am I making too much of this?

Speak!

2. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    In the scripts, if not in the final cut, it's hinted that Darth Vader and Anakin Skywalker are different people, and in some of the stuff that came out between 1977 and 1980 it's clear that Vader hadn't yet been established in the Lucasfilm bibles as Luke's father.

This is what we're meant to think, so the surprise will be there. Knowing in ANH wouldn't be a surprise in ESB when we find out. My only thoughts is that we could find out something in Episode III, but I hope we don't know yet.

Also, I don't think GL wanted anything written about it in Splinter of the Mind's eye, since that could ruin it too.

But if that's the case, then why did they name him "Dark Father?" Was it just a fortunate accident? Did they have something else in mind?

I don't recall if he had it planned from the beginning or not. I'm sure someone knows, and hopefully they'll reply with an answer.

3. GrandMoffTarkin

GrandMoffTarkin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 22, 2001
    Actually (please, Dutch members, correct me if I'm wrong) but the Dutch for Dark Father would be Dorker Vader, I think. At any rate it's not Darth. It's simply a coincidence.

I agree with you. Much of the classic trilogy was made up as it went along. Wasn't the fabled sequel trilogy originally going to be Luke's search for his twin sister (who wasn't going to be Leia)? Then for time reasons they said "Hey, we've got a female protaganist. Let's cut out that whole pesky extra trilogy and say it's her!"
    That doesn't stop it from being the most enjoyable saga of films in the history of cinema though! ;)

4. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    The Origins of Darth Vader, Anakin Starkiller, and Luke's Father

In the above thread, I and others (especially Binary_Sunset and Obi-Ewan) have proven that Lucas did not envision Vader and Anakin as being one and the same character until April, 1978, the date of the second draft of ESB.

While it's true that "vader" is Dutch for "father", this could be construed either as linguistic coincidence (invader, insidious), or as symbolic of Luke's place between two poles--his good "father" Obi-Wan Kenobi on the one hand, and his evil "father" Darth Vader on the other.

In any case, it's clear through the third draft of the original STAR WARS, dated 1976, that Darth Vader was a distinct character from Annikin Starkiller.

5. Esplin9466

Esplin9466 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 27, 2002
    Actually (please, Dutch members, correct me if I'm wrong) but the Dutch for Dark Father would be Dorker Vader, I think.

Donker Vader. ;)

6. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    Wouldn't that mean "Thank you, father"?

7. GrandMoffTarkin

GrandMoffTarkin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 22, 2001
    Well. Considering I don't actually know the language, one letter out doesn't seem too bad. :p

8. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Wouldn't that mean "Thank you, father"?

Pretty sure that would be Danka Vader.

Yeah, early drafts contained the name Darth Vader in them on a character very different from the one we got. I think one had him as a good guy, and he wasn't anyone's father. And simlarity with the dutch translation is a happy coincidence.

9. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    Darth Vader was always a bad guy! Again, see my thread (link above): The Origins of Darth Vader, for an in-depth analysis of his creation and evolution.

10. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Probably thinking of Anakin then.

11. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000

This is what we're meant to think, so the surprise will be there. Knowing in ANH wouldn't be a surprise in ESB when we find out. My only thoughts is that we could find out something in Episode III, but I hope we don't know yet.

The original script was meant to be a single stand-alone script. Darth Vader is killed early on and Annikin Starkiller is a separate character. The two of them are even in a scene together.

The first draft of ESB treats them as separate characters as well. Anakin makes an appearance as a ghost.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.